A Slim and Affordable single board computer ODROID-M1S

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

A Slim and Affordable single board computer ODROID-M1S

Post by odroid »

Introducing a new single board computer developed to celebrate ODROID's 15th anniversary.

We launched ODROID-M1 about 20 months ago and have supplied it to many B2B and B2C customers.
Feedback from many customers requested a lower price, more GPIO ports, lower power consumption, a slimmer form factor, and a variety of practical peripherals.

We would like to introduce you to the ODROID-M1S which was developed over the past six months to respond to market demands.
We made the board about 20% thinner, reduced power consumption by about 20%, added 14 header pins, and a built-in 64GB eMMC chip on the board.
We have lowered the price to only $49 including a case, heatsink, and power adapter.
We believe this will help significantly reduce the cost of building your own affordable and sustainable embedded systems.
To ensure longevity, which is important to customers using it for industrial purposes, we will supply this product until at least 2036.

By utilizing 3D modeling from the early PCB design stage, we were able to complete case development relatively precisely and rapidly.
It will be remembered for a long time as a novel development project in which collaboration between circuit design and mechanical design proceeded quite smoothly.

M1S PCB 3D model

The SOC in the M1S is the RK3566, which is the younger sister of the RK3568 used in the original M1. This allows most of the software development to be reused.
Because the bootloader and kernel settings are different, existing OS images for M1 cannot be used as-is, but porting is quickly possible through a simple process.

For detailed internal configuration, please refer to the block diagram below.

On-board eMMC storage

For the first time in the ODROID board series, an eMMC chip was soldered to the PCB by default instead of using a removable eMMC module.
We think 64GB capacity is sufficient for building most embedded systems.
The speed of eMMC measured with the fio command is approximately 180MiB/s, which is about 3~5 times faster than typical microSD cards.

On-board M.2 NVMe slot

In case the 64GB storage space of the soldered eMMC memory is insufficient, consider using an industry standard 2280 form factor NVMe SSD.
An on-board M.2 NVMe slot is provided to access large amounts of data storage.
Unlike the original M1 model's PCIe 3.0 x 2 lanes configuration, M1S has PCIe 2.1 x 1 lane. The NVMe transfer speed of the M1S has been reduced by about 1/4.
However, we still believe that ~400 MiB/s of storage access speed is sufficient for building various high-end embedded systems.
Note that M.2 SATA storage devices can not be used. The M.2 slot supports only a PCIe interface (M-Key).

Power consumption

To create the graph below, we turned on the M1S and recorded the power consumption until the Ubuntu Desktop OS boots and enters Idle mode. We used the SmartPower3 device to examine power characteristics.
With Ethernet and HDMI monitor connected, the peak power consumption is close to 3.7 Watts during booting, but drops to 1.5 Watts in desktop GUI idle state.
If you remove the HDMI monitor for a headless system, power consumption in idle mode drops to near 1.0 Watt.

When performing a CPU stress test without either HDMI output or Ethernet connection, the power consumption is about 3.2 Watts.
This shows an energy savings of about 25% compared to the 4.3 Watts of the original ODROID-M1 under the same test conditions.
Note that the computing power of ODROID-M1S has been measured to be 5-10% lower than that of M1.

Thermal characteristics

Thermal throttling does not occur even when performing a CPU stress test while mounted in a case.
Because system power consumption is low, less heat is generated. Cooling is sufficient with just the stock heatsink.
As shown in the graph below, when a stress test was performed on ODROID-M1S with a stock heatsink under room temperature conditions of 25°C, the CPU temperature did not exceed 65°C and maintained the maximum clock frequency.

Even when assembled in the case, the CPU temperature did not exceed 75°C and thermal throttling did not occur.

Board details

Specifications
Screenshot from 2024-01-17 16-39-45.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-17 16-39-45.png (237.95 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
The CPU has four ARM Cortex-A55 processors with low power consumption and high efficiency operation at 1.8Ghz.
A larger 8GB of LPDDR4 DRAM memory is available in addition to a 4GB model for reduced cost.

GPIO Header

There are 40-pin and 14-pin header pin connectors for general purpose input and output functions.
Digital IOs, UARTs, I2Cs, PWMs, ADCs, SPI, USB 2.0 host, Analog audio output, Power-on and Reset signals are available.
What we heard from many B2B and B2C customers is that they often didn't use the actual GPIO functionality.
Therefore, to lower production costs and product price, we decided to make GPIO header pin installation an option.
If you choose the option to install 40-pin and 14-pin GPIO headers, $3 will be added to the price. An IO-labels board for easier DIY tinkering will also be provided.

MIPI-DSI

The four-lane MIPI-DSI port can be directly connected to an LCD panel.
The ODROID-Vu8S kit with an 8 inch, 800x1280 wide viewing angle LCD and capacitive multi-touch screen is an available option. Note that the LCD connector is different from the one on the ODROID-M1.
If you assemble the ODROID-M1S single board computer on the rear side of the Vu8S kit, you can easily implement a Human-Machine-Interface (HMI) device with Android as well as Linux.
For customers who need a small-sized display, the 5-inch Vu5S Kit will also be released in December.

NPU

Since Machine Learning has been a trend in this industry, there is a neural network processing unit (NPU) which can deliver up to 0.8 TOPS on the M1S single board computer.
We could run various TensorFlow Lite and ONNX models on Ubuntu Linux OS. Here is an example of object detection.

Input image and Output image ( The input image source : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 6-28_1.jpg )

As shown in the test results below, the object detection speed of the NPU is nearly 20 times faster than that of the CPU. For reference, the NPU performance of M1S is about 10% lower than that of M1. We believe this is due to the difference in DRAM clocks.

CPU governor = performance
AI model = yolov5s.onnx(cpu) / yolov5s.rknn(npu)
Confidence threshold = 0.25
USB Camera = Logitech BRIO

Software support

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  • Kernel 5.10.160
  • Server and Wayland based GNOME desktop
  • ARM Mali Bifrost GPU OpenGL-ES / EGL driver
  • MIPI DSI driver
  • GPIO drivers and WiringPi library
  • NPU driver and Neural Network APIs
  • VPU driver with MPP/Gstreamer APIs
Android 11
  • AOSP based on Rockchip BSP
  • GPIO toggling
  • Rotary encoder with GPIO IRQ
  • PWM outputs
  • I2C ( Color sensor, Temperature, Humidity, OLED, RTC )
  • SPI ( CAN receiver, LED strip lights, IO expander )
  • UART ( Loopback test, Barcode scanner, Thermal printer )
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
  • Kernel 6.1.60
  • Wayland based Gnome/KDE desktop
  • ARM Mali Panfrost GPU driver for desktop OpenGL 3.x
  • MIPI DSI driver

Documentation

We provide comprehensive documentation for nearly 100 items through our WiKi pages and Github.
* Features of the OS images and installation guides for Ubuntu, Android and ROS2.
* Hardware: Full schematics, Datasheet, 3D models, Add-on board PCB design template for KiCad and over 20 types of hardware peripherals
* BSP Board-Support-Package software : Boot-loader, Kernel, Partition table, How-to-build, Boot-sequence, USB-UART console debugging and so on
* Application notes :
- How-to use VPU accelerator for video decoding and encoding
- How-to use NPU accelerator for AI application
- Device-Tree Overlay configurations
- WiringPi and Python libraries for GPIO access
- Basic GPIO examples
- Relay examples
- PWM examples
- ADC examples
- I2C examples
- GPS-PPS examples
- Character type LCD I2C examples
- OLED type LCD I2C examples
- TFT LCD SPI examples
- Sensors examples (temperature, humidity, color, sound and so on)
- SPI examples
- CAN-Bus examples
- 1-Wire examples
- How to use MIPI-DSI interface with 5 inch or 8 inch LCD modules

WiKi Pages : https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1s/odroid-m1s

Use in actual industrial sites

The ODROID-M1S board is 100% inspected in our internal facility.
We are proud to say that the automated equipment that inspects ODROID-M1S products is also equipped with three ODROID-M1S boards, which act as the brain.
Thanks to the ODROID-M1S powered smart equipment, we can produce about one thousand boards per day. This is a good example showing that ODROID-M1S can be used practically in real industry.

Application of ODROID-M1S in actual 3D printer production

The video below shows the process of making a case for the M1S by making a 3D printer with a 6-channel stepper motor control board and ODROID-M1S.

The output quality of the 3D printer made with the ODROID-M1S seems to be quite acceptable.

Availability and prices

Orders for the M1S boards and new peripheral devices are available now with shipping a few days later.

ODROID-M1 4GB-RAM 64GB-eMMC with heatsink, case and power supply : $49 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid- ... gbyte-ram/
ODROID-M1 4GB-RAM 64GB-eMMC with heatsink, case and power supply + pre-soldered IO Header : $52 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid- ... io-header/
ODROID-M1 8GB-RAM 64GB-eMMC with heatsink, case and power supply : $59 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid- ... gbyte-ram/
ODROID-M1 8GB-RAM 64GB-eMMC with heatsink, case and power supply + pre-soldered IO Header : $62 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid- ... io-header/

We have developed a variety of practical and affordable accessories for wide range of applications.

Vu8S 8inch MIPI LCD for M1S : $39 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/vu8s-8i ... d-for-m1s/

UPS Kit for M1S : $9 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/ups-kit-for-m1s/

Mini IO Board for M1S : $2 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/mini-io-board-for-m1s/

4 Channel Relay board for ODROID-M1S : $10 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/4-chann ... d-for-m1s/

6 Channel Stepper Motor Controller board for M1S : $19 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/6-chann ... d-for-m1s/

Multi-IO training board for M1S : $12 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/multi-i ... d-for-m1s/

Speaker Kit for M1S : $8 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/speaker-kit-for-m1s/

CAN-FD addon board : $11 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/can-fd-add-on-board/

Barrel to Type-C DCDC board for M1S : $3 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/barrel- ... d-for-m1s/

ODROID-M1S Case Clear : $4 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-m1s-case-clear/

Weather Board Zero : $2 https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/weather-board-zero/

Previously, we mainly shipped products using Fedex, UPS, and DHL, but we added the relatively inexpensive K-packet post office option.
Shipping times may take significantly longer, but low shipping rates may be attractive to individual users.
However, if you choose K-packet shipping, the maximum order amount is limited to us$80.

Debug Party

Newly introduced single board computers may have many bugs.
We are going to ship the engineering sample boards and a few selected accessories in a couple of days to our community members for the Debug party.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post (total 14):
Luke.go (Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:09 pm) • steve.jeong (Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:46 pm) • meveric (Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:01 pm) • brad (Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:07 pm) • rooted (Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:12 pm) • Pyohwan (Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:09 pm) • AreaScout (Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:03 pm) • xnd (Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:39 am) • gkkpch (Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:23 am) • secuflag (Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:24 am) and 4 more users

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, N2L, H2, H3+, Go, Go Advance, M1, M1S

Re: A Slim and Affordable single board computer ODROID-M1S

Post by mad_ady »

Congratulations on a this ambitious project that you've been developing in secret! It's amazing that you can produce it with a built-in 64G emmc for 49$! I remember back in the day, a 64G eMMC would be close to that sum! If I may ask - what are the reasons you decided to go with a soldered eMMC? Lower cost? Better resistance to vibration/shock?
Regarding this - I don't see SPI flash built-in - what's the boot order? emmc, sd? How do you flash the emmc? What happens when/if the emmc dies after 7-10 years? Can you bypass it and have the system boot from nvme?

Also, congratulations on all the industrial boards! I hope they pay out in the future! I like the weather board that fits inside the case!

Also - (older) people will worry about the usb-c power in. Is it held magnetically or mechanically tight so it doesn't unplug by accident?
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post (total 2):
odroid (Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:34 pm) • tobetter (Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:37 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted »

Such a nice compliment of accessories is awesome to see, the stepper driver board is really intriguing.

I believe the price, capabilities, and long life will make this a popular device.

Congratulations to the entire Hardkernel team.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post (total 3):
odroid (Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:35 pm) • tobetter (Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:37 pm) • Elektronik (Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:08 pm)

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

mad_ady wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:00 pm
what are the reasons you decided to go with a soldered eMMC? Lower cost? Better resistance to vibration/shock?
The main reason is cost reduction.

mad_ady wrote:
Regarding this - I don't see SPI flash built-in - what's the boot order? emmc, sd? How do you flash the emmc? What happens when/if the emmc dies after 7-10 years? Can you bypass it and have the system boot from nvme?
There is no SPI flash memory since the eMMC is embedded. You can boot to NVMe by installing PetitBoot on eMMC.
SD card always has higher boot priority than eMMC. For that reason, the SD card cannot be installed/removed without opening the case, and the SD slot will mainly be used to install or restore a new OS on eMMC or NVMe.

To reach the end of the lifespan of 64GB eMMC, approximately 24TB of data would be written. Therefore, the lifespan of eMMC is expected to be sufficiently long.
If your application really writes tens of gigabytes of data every day, seriously consider using an NVMe device as a fully separated data storage.

mad_ady wrote:
I like the weather board that fits inside the case!
The Weather board zero can be placed into the case for N2, C4, M1 series.
But the M1S case is too slim and you have to open the upper side case to use it. :o

mad_ady wrote:
Also - (older) people will worry about the usb-c power in. Is it held magnetically or mechanically tight so it doesn't unplug by accident?
The reliability of USB Type-C connectors and cables has improved significantly over the past few years. I can use my 16-inch Laptop and 12-inch Tablet with a USB Type-C connector without any serious problems.

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polski
ODROIDs: XU4, M1, H3+, SP3, N2L, M1S, N2

Post by mctom »

Look at that, the legendary C0 flatness revisited! Even Ethernet jack looks somewhat flat.
And before I asked it has been answered, no GPIO header option is also available. :)
Clearly we've been listened, I see a few features we've been requesting as well, such as USB port on pin header. :)
Too bad I've just begun my shift, I can't dive into too many details right now.
But from what I saw, and with the wide selection of accessories, M1S will make it an excellent bench top companion, no doubt.
mad_ady wrote:
@mad_ady, PiStackMon may provide "direct" barrel plug or screw terminal power input. There is an overvoltage protection chip but I'll see how well it tolerates reverse current flow later.
This board has no SATA and works at 5V directly. :)
mad_ady wrote:
If I may ask - what are the reasons you decided to go with a soldered eMMC? Lower cost? Better resistance to vibration/shock?
If I had to guess, much lower price when ordered in larger quantities, and industrial customers always want eMMC.
mad_ady wrote:
I like the weather board that fits inside the case!
Well, after my experiments with temperature sensor on a PCB plugged into M1, I wouldn't place a temperature sensor there again, and right next to a heat sink.
But placed somewhere else on a ribbon cable extension I think it will work fine.
These users thanked the author mctom for the post (total 2):
odroid (Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:03 pm) • tobetter (Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:38 pm)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!
OpenUPS
PiStackMon

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N1, N2, C4

Post by joerg »

Really amazing, fine job and congratulation to Hardkernel team.
These users thanked the author joerg for the post:
tobetter (Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:36 pm)

AreaScout
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell, Go2, C4

Post by AreaScout »

A great board for IOT builders, good price, a lot of Add-on boards to choose from and with good proven multi media capabilities, also with good software support like the 5.10 kernel

Congrats on that! :)

RG,
    Daniel
    These users thanked the author AreaScout for the post:
    tobetter (Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:36 pm)

gkkpch
    languages_spoken: english, dutch, german
    ODROIDs: Odroid N2+, Odroid C4, Odroid M1S

Post by gkkpch »

A very affordable price for a very nice board with potential!
    Pleased to see audio options (hdmi, headphone, spdif) are available, great to see the usb port on the 14-pin connector as well.
    Can't wait to put Volumio on it, going to get one for sure!
    One thing is not clear:
    odroid wrote:
    Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:03 pm

We have lowered the price to only $49 including a case, heatsink, and power adapter.
    We believe this will help significantly reduce the cost of building your own affordable and sustainable embedded systems.
    To ensure longevity, which is important to customers using it for industrial purposes, we will supply this product until at least 2036.
    while the shop mentions $59

tobetter
    languages_spoken: Korean, English
    ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

mad_ady wrote:
    I don't see SPI flash built-in - what's the boot order? emmc, sd? How do you flash the emmc? What happens when/if the emmc dies after 7-10 years? Can you bypass it and have the system boot from nvme?
    Due to the cost issue and PCB capacity, SPI flash memory is not on the board. And the boot order is here,
    https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1s/boar ... t_sequence

For the flashing OS image to eMMC, basically you will have OS select menu - among Android/Ubuntu Server/Ubuntu Gnome Desktop - to install on the display when you power up the ODROID-M1S at first, So you do not need to make select an OS when you make an order for ODROID-M1S. When you have to flash the OS again or want to flash any other OS image that does not come from Hardkernel, micro USB cable is the one you have to prepare and connect to PC. Then you can flash an OS image to eMMC using a tool like Etcher after booting ODROID-M1S with/from SD card with a firmware that switched eMMC on ODROID-M1S to USB mass storage device.
    https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1s/gett ... redirect=1

Regarding to boot from NVMe, stock U-Boot is not capable boot from NVMe yet. Maybe upstream U-Boot can, but not tested yet. Seeing a chance to provide ODROIDBIOS.BIN that comes with Petitboot so you can run OS from eMMC or NVMe.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

gkkpch wrote:
    Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:04 pm
    A very affordable price for a very nice board with potential!
    Pleased to see audio options (hdmi, headphone, spdif) are available, great to see the usb port on the 14-pin connector as well.
    Can't wait to put Volumio on it, going to get one for sure!
    One thing is not clear:
    odroid wrote:

while the shop mentions $59
    $49 is for 4GB model and $59 is for 8GB.
    https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid- ... gbyte-ram/
    https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid- ... gbyte-ram/

gkkpch
    languages_spoken: english, dutch, german
    ODROIDs: Odroid N2+, Odroid C4, Odroid M1S

Post by gkkpch »

I should read better the next time ;) All clear now.

hominoid
    ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2, N2L, N2+, HC4, M1, H2, H3+

Post by hominoid »

It is apparent that a lot of thought and engineering went into this new board. The low profile design is a welcome variation and the wide selection of accessories is a nice complement. Was not expecting the 6 channel stepper for 3D printer and other control, extra nice! And, what a price point! This looks like a great development board with a ton of capabilities.
    odroid wrote:
    By utilizing 3D modeling from the early PCB design stage, we were able to complete case development relatively precisely and rapidly.
    It will be remembered for a long time as a novel development project in which collaboration between circuit design and mechanical design proceeded quite smoothly.
    And it shows, great work HK team!

mctom

Post by mctom »

Investigating capabilities of all these add-ons, I think you guys left me nothing to do. Relays, high current PWM switches, true RS-232 and USB ports..
    I have one unfinished project that will work w M1S so nicely... Flat design and passive cooling leaves tons of space to make a very sophisticated add-on with no compromises.

I was about to ask for a KiCAD template for add-on boards, but there is one on Odroid Wiki already! :o
    Listening to your customers is nice, but reading their minds is a completely new league :lol:
    These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
    tobetter (Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:22 am)
    OpenUPS
    PiStackMon

fvolk
    ODROIDs: C4, H3, M1S
    Has thanked: 0

Post by fvolk »

Over Christmas I wanted to try again with a status display/home automation setup... and now this...

...how did you implement the UI for your testing station?
    Can the Vu8S be enabled/disabled programmatically?
    (Screen is dark -> Either touch of user enables it, or some code wants to show something important and enables it. Display goes to sleep after xx minutes of no interaction)

PS: Give Ruppi a raise - churns out awesome boards like no other... ;-)

domih
    languages_spoken: English, French
    ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, N2+, H2, H2+, C4, HC4, M1, M1S (with UPS, 4 x Relay) H3, H3+ - 1GbE, 2.5GbE, 10GbE, 45+ GbE

Post by domih »

Congratulations to the whole Hard Kernel engineering team 👍

"...we will supply this product until at least 2036." Wow. Your B2B customers are going to love the M1S 👏 I wish you sustained sales for 10+ years.

M1 to M1S: smaller is better.

Great choice of optional peripherals to cover a large number of applications and use cases.

Happy Anniversary!

odroid
    Site Admin

Post by odroid »

fvolk wrote:
    Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:05 am
    Over Christmas I wanted to try again with a status display/home automation setup... and now this...

...how did you implement the UI for your testing station?
    Can the Vu8S be enabled/disabled programmatically?
    (Screen is dark -> Either touch of user enables it, or some code wants to show something important and enables it. Display goes to sleep after xx minutes of no interaction)
    I think HomeAssistant supervised install on nvme with 6.1 kernel with Vu8S will be a good all-in-one server + dashboard for home automation.

The GUI on the testing equipment was made from scratch on the DRM framebuffer. We used the Ubuntu 20.04 server image to implement it.
    Pixel, Line, Rectangular, Fonts, Paint, Images and some other basic drawing functions were written in C.
    But you can use any of graphic library or framework like Qt, LVGL, wxWidgets and so on for your application.

Vu8S backlight is fully adjustable via PWM control. You can turn it off or on.
    Additionally, the brightness can be adjusted in 100 levels on the fly, and the power consumption changes proportionally.

L67GS
    languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
    ODROIDs: XU4, M1 8GB, M1S 4GB, C1+, (3) C0's, H3+, N2L 4GB, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, MIPI-CSI Camera Kit, etc....

Post by L67GS »

I once said that if a bunch of people were standing around at a robotics convention talking about how amazing it would be if they had that one thing, they would be talking about the M1, with the addition of more GPIO and such an increase in power savings they would now be talking about M1S.
    What a fantastic unit!
    These users thanked the author L67GS for the post:
    tobetter (Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:24 pm)

meteor713
    languages_spoken: Korean / English
    Has thanked: 0

Post by meteor713 »

That's why I love Hardkernel so much. These guys really put their heart into making products with great attention to detail. Go, Hardkernel!!!
    These users thanked the author meteor713 for the post (total 2):
    tobetter (Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:23 pm) • Elektronik (Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:14 pm)

mctom

Post by mctom »

Hm, the wiki link to RK3566 datasheet is dead:
    https://dn.odroid.com/RK3566/ODROID-M1S ... t_V1.0.pdf
    OpenUPS
    PiStackMon

tkaiser
    ODROIDs: C1+, C2, XU4, HC1

Post by tkaiser »

mctom wrote:
    Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:54 pm
    Hm, the wiki link to RK3566 datasheet is dead:
    https://dn.odroid.com/RK3566/ODROID-M1S ... t_V1.0.pdf
    Well, if the link to version V1.0 of some datasheet is dead why not picking up any of the V1.1 resources on the net?

https://www.boardcon.com/download/Rockc ... t_V1.1.pdf
    These users thanked the author tkaiser for the post:
    rooted (Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:31 am)

mctom

Post by mctom »

I only said that to help keep the wiki clean.
    OpenUPS
    PiStackMon

odroid
    Site Admin

Post by odroid »

The latest RK3566 datasheet V1.2 has been uploaded.
    https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1s/hardware/
    These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
    mctom (Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:18 pm)

istanbulls
    languages_spoken: Turkish
    ODROIDs: ODROID; N2, C4, XU4, N2+, CH4

Post by istanbulls »

welcome to Odroid-M1S <3

After credit card sizes, it was nice and interesting to see an SBC with credit card thickness.
    The new product brings with it many new peripherals, very exciting developments.
    Stylish, cheap and powerful SBC, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of reaction it will create in people.
    Well done to the Odroid team for many brand new peripherals and SBC. You are amazing and we are following your new great news.

(yesterday was my birthday, it was a different and interesting surprise for me :) )
    These users thanked the author istanbulls for the post (total 3):
    tobetter (Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:51 pm) • mctom (Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:58 pm) • domih (Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:59 pm)

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout »

@all

Mine arrived just now + my Amazon ordered NVME, ok just let the debug party begin 🍀🎉🎅
        20231120_113213 (002).png
        20231120_113213 (002).png (888.4 KiB) Viewed 22172 times
        Regards,
        Daniel

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout »

And NVME assembled, let's boot up that new board :)
            20231120_120530 (002).png
            20231120_120530 (002).png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 22154 times
              Regards,
              Daniel

joerg
              languages_spoken: german, english, español
              ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N1, N2, C4

Post by joerg »

Mine has also arrived now. :)

mctom

Post by mctom »

And mine! This is going to be a long night. :)
              OpenUPS
              PiStackMon

brad
              ODROIDs: C2 C4 HC4 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ M1 (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

Thanks hardkernel I'm very impressed by the new board and stepper driver board, hardware is very well designed :)

I need to play around with software now and see if I can make it drive my steppers and VFD motor.

I have been a little light on the forums lately but i'm back to debug, godspeed everyone

glenno
              ODROIDs: Odroid M1S, M1, XU4, XU, X, SHOW2, Weather, Weather_Zero & about 25 emmc and microSD cards with a stack of different Linux builds and distributions.

Post by glenno »

odroid wrote:

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
              • Kernel 6.1.60
              • MIPI DSI driver
              Try as I might, I cannot find an image for 22.04. Do I need to upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04 and then install linux-image-6.1.0-odroid-arm64?

All I need a a straight forward headless host for a few docker containers, so no need for BSP etc.

glenno
              ODROIDs: Odroid M1S, M1, XU4, XU, X, SHOW2, Weather, Weather_Zero & about 25 emmc and microSD cards with a stack of different Linux builds and distributions.

Post by glenno »

glenno wrote:
              Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:47 am
              odroid wrote:

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
              • Kernel 6.1.60
              • MIPI DSI driver
              Try as I might, I cannot find an image for 22.04. Do I need to upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04 and then install linux-image-6.1.0-odroid-arm64?

All I need a a straight forward headless host for a few docker containers, so no need for BSP etc.
              Rather than pollute this thread I answered my own question over in the other thread viewtopic.php?f=211&t=47576&p=377918#p377918

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

OS images

Let me add more OS images built. Ubuntu 20.04 comes with Hardkernel's stock Linux kernel version 5.10 and Ubuntu 22.04 are with upstream kernel 6.1 by default. These are unofficial images and some functions wont' work properly, we can help to resolve the problem whenever reported by a user but hard to guarantee that it can be fixed.
              For the issue with Ubuntu 22.04, please do post the problem to this thread or create your own one.
              For Ubuntu 20.04 Mate Desktop, X11 based desktop]this thread.

odroid
              Site Admin

Post by odroid »

There are so many different questions and information.
              Therefore, this thread is locked.
              From now on, please feel free to post on the M1/M1S sub-forum. viewforum.php?f=210

odroid
              Site Admin

Post by odroid »

We have started selling a 5-inch LCD kit for the ODROID-M1S for US$29.
              This Vu5S model includes an IPS-grade wide-viewing-angle MIPI-DSI LCD with a resolution of 480x854 and a capacitive multi-touch screen of up to 5 points.
              https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/vu5s-5i ... d-for-m1s/

This display device works with Android as well as Linux (Ubuntu).
              Vu5S5inchMIPILCD4M1Sc.jpg
              Vu5S5inchMIPILCD4M1Sc.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
              Vu5S5inchMIPILCD4M1Se.jpg
              Vu5S5inchMIPILCD4M1Se.jpg (104.19 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
              Vu5S5inchMIPILCD4M1Sg.jpg
              Vu5S5inchMIPILCD4M1Sg.jpg (105.2 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
              Vu5S5inchMIPILCD4M1Sf.jpg
              Vu5S5inchMIPILCD4M1Sf.jpg (65.39 KiB) Viewed 10066 times

Please refer to the wiki page for installation and driver setup instructions.
              https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/displ ... eries/vu5s
              These users thanked the author odroid for the post (total 3):
              mctom (Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:49 pm) • domih (Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:44 am) • istanbulls (Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:20 am)

odroid
              Site Admin

Post by odroid »

Internal USB Board for M1S

A new add-on board that utilizes the USB signal lines of the ODROID-M1S 14-pin expansion header connector.
              Your M1S is now connected wirelessly with the built-in WiFi module inside the case.
              It also provides a solution to the limited number of USB ports on the M1S.
              Other small USB adapters like a wireless keyboard/mouse USB dongle can be embedded into the cases too.

The Internal USB board is simply composed of a 5-pin header socket, USB 2.0 host connector, and USB power protection circuit.
              I'm really glad we could find a 7.1mm height header socket rather than the typical 8.5mm one to avoid an interference against the top cover case.

The WiFi Module 5BK is connected to the Internal USB board.
              Note that the SMD type 5-pin header socket connector can be easily bent by external force.
              Therefore, when handling the Internal USB Board or attaching/detaching a USB device, be careful NOT to apply force to the header pin socket.

Align it with Pin #1 as shown in the picture below and connect it to the M1S 14pin header.

When viewed from above the board, it looks like the picture below.

There is no internal interference, so it can be used with the top cover case assembled.

This add-on board is available in our web-store at $2.
              https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/interna ... d-for-m1s/
              Schematics are available in WiKi page
              https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/add-o ... ternal_usb

We would like to thank forum user @tuner359 for motivating us with the idea. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=47801

odroid
              Site Admin

Post by odroid »

The M1S board has a digital audio S/PDIF output pin on the 14 pin header connector.
              We developed a new add-on board by utilizing the pin for an external audio DAC equipment.
              The add-on board has a coaxial output by using a fully isolated digital audio specific transformer and a TOSLINK compatible optical output.

This add-on board is available in our web-store at $8.
              https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/spdif-for-m1s/

Schematics are available in WiKi page
              https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/sound/spdifoutboard

Currently our Ubuntu OS and @gkkpch's Volumio OS can support the S/PDIF output.
              Volumio OS : viewtopic.php?f=214&t=47998

We hope that many ODROID users will provide us with ideas so that we can continue to develop and release fun and practical accessories in the future.
              These users thanked the author odroid for the post (total 5):
              mctom (Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:31 pm) • istanbulls (Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:13 pm) • joerg (Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:21 pm) • L67GS (Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:53 pm) • domih (Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:54 am)

Return to “General Topics”