Kit Kat 4.4.4 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-X (20150206)

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Kit Kat 4.4.4 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-X (20150206)

Unread post by robroy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:24 am

I created an Android Kit Kat 4.4.4 image with a core suite of applications for a set-top box.

Download the image here (eMMC only):
KitKat 4.4.4 (Beta): http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ ... 206.img.xz
JellyBean 4.1.2 (Stable): http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ ... 714.img.xz

Pocket Rocket for ODROID-X is only available for eMMC module. Use Couch Potato instead if you do not have an eMMC module available. When writing to eMMC, use the eMMC->SD card adapter that came with your module and copy the image directly. It may be necessary to use the eMMC recovery tool before writing this image: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=969.

Already have an Android image?
Upgrade your existing image to Pocket Rocket with the Epic Loot Software Collection, which includes Kodi 14 and more: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=8787

Applications:
  • Chrome
    Firefox
    Kodi 14 Helix with hardware acceleration
    Gmail
    Google Drive
    ES File Explorer
    Ultra Explorer
    Terminal Emulator
    MX Player
    tTorrent
    BluezIME Controller with HID pack for use with Wiimote
    Angry Birds Star Wars I and II
    Angry Birds Space
    RetroArch
    Ad Away
    Jota+ Text Editor
    Juice SSH
    bVNC
    Screen Orientation Control
    Stickmount
    full!screen
    Youtube
    Netflix
    TED Talks
    Pandora
    PC Radio
    BusyBox
    ZArchiver
Customizations left for you upon burning the image to your card:
  • 1. Configure the following apps and enable them with SuperUser permissions: AdAway, full!screen, and Screen Orientation Control.
    2. Start MXPlayer, select "Settings", choose "Decoder", and click all of the "H/W+ decoder" checkboxes.
Optional steps: Features in this release:
  • Kodi 14 Helix with hardware acceleration
    Installable on 8GB eMMC
Notes:
  • KitKat 4.4.4 is still in Beta, and some features may not yet be working properly. Please provide feedback and bug reports directly to the Hardkernel developers on the main KitKat thread if you encounter any issues.

When resizing the partitions using Gparted on a 64GB eMMC module, the FAT32 partition has a limit of 32GB in order to be recognized by the bootloader. It's recommended to backup, delete, recreate and restore the files to the FAT32 partition instead of resizing it.

The folder "/sdcard/Bootstrap" contains the installation files for apps that were downloaded from the developers' websites. Please copy the Bootstrap directory to an external USB drive for system restore purposes as it contains everything you need to rebuild Pocket Rocket from the official HardKernel release.

If you experience poor playback in Kodi, use MX Player instead, which also has hardware acceleration.

You can provide feedback directly to the Kodi developers here: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=164.

Kodi nightly updates are available here: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/arm/.

Last edited by robroy on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

jbates58
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-X, Odroid-XU, 10.1" LVDS Kit, Odroid Show

Re: Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-X (20131226)

Unread post by jbates58 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:25 pm

thanks mate.

reading the description, i noticed that it said it has been disabled for running on sd. is that correct? just wanting to make sure before i download it, as i sdont have an emmc card.

cheers

Jason

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 pm

jbates58 wrote:thanks mate.

reading the description, i noticed that it said it has been disabled for running on sd. is that correct? just wanting to make sure before i download it, as i sdont have an emmc card.

cheers

Jason
Yes, I found that Jelly Bean does not run well from SD card, regardless of its advertised speed. Even when installed on a UHS (15+ MB/s) SD card, Android puts out random "Not Responding" dialog messages during normal use, which makes for a frustrating experience. The eMMC version of JellyBean, however, runs so smoothly and fast that I use it as my primary operating system.

If you have an -X without an EMMC and still want to run Jelly Bean from an SD card, you will need to start with the stock Hard Kernel build and use my Epic Loot Software Collection to install the apps that aren't available from the Google Play Store, including Gapps.

In a future release cycle, I may package an -X version of Android 4.0.2 Couch Potato, which has the same apps as Pocket Rocket but is only available on SD.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

jbates58

Unread post by jbates58 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:33 pm

hmmm bugger. ok then.

is an emmc an emmc? are they specific? or can i jump onto ebay and get one from there? as they are probaly cheaper and the freight is the killer from hardkernal.

cheers

Jason

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:22 pm

jbates58 wrote:hmmm bugger. ok then.

is an emmc an emmc? are they specific? or can i jump onto ebay and get one from there? as they are probaly cheaper and the freight is the killer from hardkernal.

cheers

Jason
You will need an eMMC module from Hardkernel, as they are the only known producers of a clippable version. Order a new U3 along with a couple 16GB eMMC modules to make the shipping sting a bit less ;)

If you do choose to own a second ODROID, you can look forward to a series of articles in ODROID Magazine about multi-boxing with them. Multi-boxing is using two or more ODROIDs to do some amazing things, such as simulating an 8-core High Performance computer, seamlessly using X11 and Android windowing systems simultaneously, developing production-quality websites with a local Apache or Nginx sandbox, running a full-featured 1080p media center, and more.

Using Pocket Rocket as my main operating system, I control a 9-box ODROID farm with a copy of each my images available as an Alt-Tab application in Android 4.2.2 using a single monitor and keyboard 8-)

jbates58

Unread post by jbates58 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:29 pm

robroyhall wrote: Using Pocket Rocket as my main operating system, I control a 9-box ODROID farm with a copy of each my images available as an Alt-Tab application in Android 4.2.2 using a single monitor and keyboard 8-)
SHI7 YEA. i am very intersted in that. how exactly does the alt-tab part work though.

will be watching with interest.

also, would i be better off with a u3 or a XU? i would like to have the gpio part so that i can interface it with my arduino to do some cool things i have found on the net.

cheers

Jason

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:55 pm

jbates58 wrote:
robroyhall wrote: Using Pocket Rocket as my main operating system, I control a 9-box ODROID farm with a copy of each my images available as an Alt-Tab application in Android 4.2.2 using a single monitor and keyboard 8-)
SHI7 YEA. i am very intersted in that. how exactly does the alt-tab part work though.
A combination of Vino, SSH and bVNCFree. The article will explain in more detail.
will be watching with interest.

also, would i be better off with a u3 or a XU? i would like to have the gpio part so that i can interface it with my arduino to do some cool things i have found on the net.
I personally prefer the passive cooling of the u3, but you should read up on the available accessories before deciding. The u3 has a new I/O shield that makes interfacing with Arduino easier.

robroy

Re: Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-X (20140707)

Unread post by robroy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Please see the first post in this thread for download links and instructions.

New features in this release:
  • Upgraded to XBMC 13.1 Gotham Beta
    Netflix fix to prevent blank screen during playback
Enjoy!

robroy

Re: Kit Kat 4.4.4 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-X (20140714)

Unread post by robroy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:23 am

Please see the first post in this thread for download links and instructions.

• New KitKat 4.4.4 version based on Hardkernel official release (20140620)
Enjoy!

robroy

Re: Kit Kat 4.4.4 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-X (20150206)

Unread post by robroy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:50 am

• Kodi 14 Helix
    Upgraded system software to v4.6 (1/13/2015 version)
    Moved FAT32 partition to end of partition table to facilitate resizing
Enjoy!

Return to “Android”