HC4 not outputting HDMI signal without sd/hdd

Jschoeck
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: HC2, HC4
Been thanked: 0

HC4 not outputting HDMI signal without sd/hdd

Post by Jschoeck »

I received my new ODROID-HC4 and wanted to setup Nextcloud on it, but I cannot get it to output anything via HDMI.
What I tried so far:
1. Flashing the official HC4 Android image on a microSD card (it's too small for Ubuntu minimal by a few MB, waiting for another one to arrive to try that)
2. Flashing the official HC4 Ubuntu minimal image on a SSD
3. Starting without any medium inserted to boot from SPI memory

I expected #1 and #3 to boot or show the netboot/petit... menu, but only the blue heartbeat LED signal is showing that something happens (and the red power LED permanently on).

What do I have to do to get HDMI output? Does it matter if I attach USB periphery (keyboard, mouse and/or wifi adapter)?
Do I need to plugin an ethernet cable in order to get #3 to even start with netboot?

Thanks for your input already!

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: HC4 not outputting HDMI signal without sd/hdd

Post by tobetter »

If the blue LED blinks without SD card is not inserted or SATA storages are attached, it means SPI flash memory is booted up. But HDMI display is not running properly with your display device. Please let me know what's the brand/model of your display.

Jschoeck

Post by Jschoeck »

It's an Acer Predator XN3. The HDMI cable (brand new from Hardkernel as well) and monitor (both on DP and HDMI) work on other laptops without issue.

Another question: does the first cold boot take long or should it be up within 1 or 2 minutes (booting from SPI flash memory)?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Jschoeck wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:31 pm
It's an Acer Predator XN3. The HDMI cable (brand new from Hardkernel as well) and monitor (both on DP and HDMI) work on other laptops without issue.

Another question: does the first cold boot take long or should it be up within 1 or 2 minutes (booting from SPI flash memory)?
The first cold boot should not take long and be done in a couple of minutes when boots from SPI flash memory.
Can you try to create a file petitboot.cfg in your SD card with this and try to boot it.

Code: Select all

[u-boot]
hdmimode=1080p60hz
voutmode=dvi
You also can try another resolution like 720p60hz or 1024x768p60hz instead of 1080p60hz.

simpleDroid
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 0

Post by simpleDroid »

I seem to be suffering a similar issue. I've loaded the Debian image onto my MicroSD card, inserted it into the HC4, booted the HC4 until there is just the blue heartbeat light, yet I still see no signal on my monitor. I tried adding the petitboot.cfg, as suggested, but I still get no signal.

My monitor is a Dell U3419W (native resolution 3440 x 1440 at 60Hz).

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

simpleDroid wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:52 pm
I seem to be suffering a similar issue. I've loaded the Debian image onto my MicroSD card, inserted it into the HC4, booted the HC4 until there is just the blue heartbeat light, yet I still see no signal on my monitor. I tried adding the petitboot.cfg, as suggested, but I still get no signal.

My monitor is a Dell U3419W (native resolution 3440 x 1440 at 60Hz).
Where did you get the Debian Image? What did you add to "petitboot.cfg" ?

simpleDroid
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 0

Post by simpleDroid »

I used meveric's Debian Buster C4 image, here: viewtopic.php?t=38729

I put the following in the petitboot.cfg in the root of the SD card:

[u-boot]
hdmimode=1080p60hz
voutmode=dvi

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

simpleDroid wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:13 pm
I used meveric's Debian Buster C4 image, here: viewtopic.php?t=38729

I put the following in the petitboot.cfg in the root of the SD card:

[u-boot]
hdmimode=1080p60hz
voutmode=dvi
In order to see if the Debian Image boots from HC4, can you please remove all SATA storages, remove DC power but keep SD card attached and HDMI cable attached. Before attching the DC power, press a button on the bottom of HC using a tip of a pen and keep pressing it until the blue LED turns on. This way will let HC4 boot from SD card, if this does not show a picture on your display, you should change the boot.ini with the resolution what your display device works.

If this way is annoying, the other way to boot from SD card is to remove the Petitboot from SPI flash memory. Since you are not able to see a picture with your display, please find out another HDMI device that shows you the screen. Then after selecting the menu "Exit to shell" , run "flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0" in the command line of the Petitboot, not Debian. This way will let you boot from SD permantly unless you restore the Petitboot.

Jschoeck

Post by Jschoeck »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:39 pm
The first cold boot should not take long and be done in a couple of minutes when boots from SPI flash memory.
Can you try to create a file petitboot.cfg in your SD card with this and try to boot it.

[u-boot]
hdmimode=1080p60hz
voutmode=dvi
This worked for me with the HC4 Android image (since I don't have a big enough SD card until tomorrow for the Ubuntu minimal image), thanks!

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Jschoeck wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:08 pm
tobetter wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:39 pm

[u-boot]
hdmimode=1080p60hz
voutmode=dvi
This worked for me with the HC4 Android image (since I don't have a big enough SD card until tomorrow for the Ubuntu minimal image), thanks!
If this works with your HC4, you can inject the value to SPI flash memory permanently. Go fo "Exit to shell" in the Petitboot menu and run these two commands.

# fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p60hz
# fw_setenv voutmode dvi
Once you have a prompt after each command, the values are stored into SPI flash memory.

In order to check, reboot your ODROID-HC4 without SD card and see if you have the Petitboot screen. If you confirmed, 'petitboot.cfg' can be removed in the SD card.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
Jschoeck (Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:44 pm)

Return to “Issues”