HC4 USB port stopped working

eggepegge
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

HC4 USB port stopped working

Post by eggepegge »

Hello. I looked through the forum and believe I've hit the same issue as a few others with the USB power. Anyway, describing the problem here as my distributor wanted me to as a first step to see what you have to say about it.

I got the HC4 around newyear, installed debian on it over the network and all was fine. Last weekend after a powercycle all of a sudden the keyboard stopped working. Everything else works just fine. Disks, HDMI, SD-slot and OLED. But nothing connected to the USB port seem to get any power. I've tried to disconnect everything but hdmi and keyboard and boot it to petitboot, but keyboard is still dead. It works with another computer.

I also have a USB stick that glows when connected. It doesn't when I plug it in to the HC4.

PSU is the official 15V/4A one.

When booting into debian I can see the root-hub but nothing else. So I'm guessing the USB port have lost its power, as it doesn't even work in petitboot anymore?

Code: Select all

# usb-devices

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 2
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev=05.15
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 5.15.0-odroid-arm64 xhci-hcd
S:  Product=xHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=xhci-hcd.0.auto
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub

T:  Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=5000 MxCh= 1
D:  Ver= 3.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=03 MxPS= 9 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0003 Rev=05.15
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 5.15.0-odroid-arm64 xhci-hcd
S:  Product=xHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=xhci-hcd.0.auto
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub

# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 5000M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/2p, 480M
/Rgds Thomas

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: HC4 USB port stopped working

Post by tobetter »

Are you able to see the LED on USB keyboard or mouse is on when it's connected to USB host port on HC4?

eggepegge

Post by eggepegge »

Nope. No leds light up on usb-devices.

JungleDroid

Post by JungleDroid »

I have the same issue as described above (Debian, OMV boot, 15V/4A power supply) - Several keyboards do not work. A test USB stick with a led light does not light up. (Does light-up when plugged-in to a desktop computer)

The system (HC4 purchased Jan 2022) is running Debian 11 with OMV. This boots OK, as doess SSH.
I was testing 'Suspend to Disk' in OMV, which did not work and perhaps disconnecting power had corrupted Petitboot?

Could reinstalling Petitboot help? If so, where do I find instructions for this?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

eggepegge wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:49 am
Hmm....I guess the USB host port on your HC4 might be faulty for some reason if you are not able to see LED on USB mouse or keyboard.
Would you please contact odroid at hardkernel dot com if you have purchased from Hardkernel, otherwise local distributor you've purchased.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

JungleDroid wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:42 pm
I have the same issue as described above (Debian, OMV boot, 15V/4A power supply) - Several keyboards do not work. A test USB stick with a led light does not light up. (Does light-up when plugged-in to a desktop computer)
Are you able to see Petitboot on HDMI display or RED/BLUE leds dim on your HC4?
The system (HC4 purchased Jan 2022) is running Debian 11 with OMV. This boots OK, as doess SSH.
Do you mean you are able to ssh to your HC4 now or not able to do so any more?
I was testing 'Suspend to Disk' in OMV, which did not work and perhaps disconnecting power had corrupted Petitboot?
Suspend/Resume feature would not work with ODROID-HC4, so please do replug the DC adapter.
Could reinstalling Petitboot help? If so, where do I find instructions for this?
It would be better to check how RED/BLUE leds are. If the blue LED is on or blink, at least the Petitboot is not corrupted but maybe it does not boot correctly.

JungleDroid

Post by JungleDroid »

- I am able to see Petitboot on HDMI display, and see red/blue lights. Blue blinking
- I can access system via SSH - when Debian has fully booted

-- What I cannot do is: interact with Petiboot menu since keyboard does not work,
-- The USB port does not seem to be working at all

USB worked previously - I could install Debian, and adjust some other settings like boot order via Petitboot menu.

- Without USB, (1) Cannot make any further adjustments in Petitboot, such as setting up WOL via boot.ini (2) Cannot access USB drive features in OMV/Debian.

- Seems to be similar to this N2 issue: viewtopic.php?t=39829
- There is power 3.3V on the GPIO pins (that supply the OLED screen, tested with a multimeter)

Perhaps the USB part of the board got broken, or the suspend to disk put USB permanently to sleep (something like USB autosuspend)?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

JungleDroid wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:20 pm
- I am able to see Petitboot on HDMI display, and see red/blue lights. Blue blinking
- I can access system via SSH - when Debian has fully booted

-- What I cannot do is: interact with Petiboot menu since keyboard does not work,
-- The USB port does not seem to be working at all

USB worked previously - I could install Debian, and adjust some other settings like boot order via Petitboot menu.

- Without USB, (1) Cannot make any further adjustments in Petitboot, such as setting up WOL via boot.ini (2) Cannot access USB drive features in OMV/Debian.

- There is power 3.3V on the GPIO pins (that supply the OLED screen, tested with a multimeter)

Perhaps the USB part of the board got broken, or the suspend to disk put USB permanently to sleep (something like USB autosuspend)?
Thanks, looks like USB port is dead somehow. Will you please plug in a USB keyboard and see if LED on keyboard dims or an optical USB mouse if LED on mouse dims? If not, for RMA, please do contact odroid at hardkernel dot com if you've purchased from Hardkernel otherwise your local distributor with the link of this thread.

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

JungleDroid wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:20 pm
The USB part in HC4 is much simpler than in N2. There is no USB hub chip, for example.

If USB port doesn't provide power, there is only one element that can be faulty: U23, a USB power switch.

If you could check voltages on its pins, you may confirm a hardware USB power fault, or software fault that keeps this switch off when it shouldn't.
If everything seems to be in order, then the fault is on CPU side.

For those who are out of luck and the warranty period is over, physically bypassing U23 may still work.
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

eggepegge

Post by eggepegge »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:56 pm
eggepegge wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:49 am
Hmm....I guess the USB host port on your HC4 might be faulty for some reason if you are not able to see LED on USB mouse or keyboard.
Would you please contact odroid at hardkernel dot com if you have purchased from Hardkernel, otherwise local distributor you've purchased.
Thanks. Getting back to my local distributor, as he wanted me to run the issue with this forum first m

/Thomas

JungleDroid

Post by JungleDroid »

I checked the USB port. When nothing is plugged into the USB port, it shows maximum 1.9V (across two pin side of U23) and the 0.76 for pins 1-4 (the pins under the USB port). I guess I should contact the distributor.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Whoa, relax, I'm not entirely sure what did you measure.
2022-01-16-195455_586x327_scrot.png
2022-01-16-195455_586x327_scrot.png (37.31 KiB) Viewed 81 times
This is the chip.
JungleDroid wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:58 am
When nothing is plugged into the USB port, it shows maximum 1.9V (across two pin side of U23)
That seems to be correct - Vin should be about 5V, and ENABLE ideally would be 3.3V, so the difference should be 1.7V.
1.9V is close enough - ENABLE may be lower than 3.3V.
JungleDroid wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:58 am
and the 0.76 for pins 1-4 (the pins under the USB port).
Do you mean all USB port pins? Related to what? I'm pretty sure USB ground pin is not 0.76V.

Hm, perhaps I could have explained a bit simpler.

Essentially you want to measure voltage on C255 and then C256 - just measure voltage across them. Those two should be equal and around 5V. If this is not the case, and you have already checked ENABLE signal ( :) ), that means U23 is dead.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

JungleDroid

Post by JungleDroid »

Thanks,
Here is what I get
From Pin 2 to 5 (GND to VIN) = 5.22
From Pin 2 to 4 (GND to ENABLE) = 3.32
Across C255 = 5.22
Across C256 = 0 sometimes = 0.73

Regarding the USB pins, I assumed (maybe wrongly) these are the 4 soldred points in a row above the '6' of C256 in the following diagram: https://wiki.odroid.com/_media/odroid-h ... -label.png

mctom

Post by mctom »

Good job with your measurement, you have shown there is indeed a hardware failure on your board.
U23 gets proper Vin (a little bit on a high side but still within USB standards).
U23 gets a signal to be enabled, no doubt about that.

The output of U23 is 0, or 0,73V (which is about a single voltage drop on a diode). This should never happen and aligns with your observations that USB devices get no power from the host.

I'm pretty sure you may safely apply for replacement of your board.
Unless you want to try fixing it yourself for any reason (and lose your warranty), I can offer help with that too. It seems either there is a short circuit somewhere in USB connector (not likely) or U23 is broken. There are no more options really.
JungleDroid wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:41 am
Regarding the USB pins, I assumed (maybe wrongly) these are the 4 soldred points in a row above the '6' of C256 in the following diagram: https://wiki.odroid.com/_media/odroid-h ... -label.png
You are right, these are USB pins, but voltage measurements are always supposed to be performed related to ground (unless otherwise stated).
The four pins, counting from the bottom one are +5V, data, data and ground. The last one should be zero, as it is a definition of zero on the board. :)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

JungleDroid

Post by JungleDroid »

Thanks for all the info, I have contacted the reseller for now.

Return to “Issues”