tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: Multi boot and USB booting with ODROID-C4

Post by tobetter »

deelan wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:11 am
Hi!

I just got my hands on a brand new Odroid C4 and I would like to boot off of USB with it.
I followed viewtopic.php?p=299476#p299476 to flash the mmcboot.img to my SD card.!
Glad to see you are trying this.
I've got an SSD attached with an adapter. It has latest Armbian Bullseye flashed to it.

Now, petitboot does come up, reports that it has found and parsed /boot/boot.scr off of sda1, then however it proceeds to hang a long time at "probing PXE" and finally stops at "PXE autoconfiguration failed".
I do not get the option to boot from the SSD, nor does it autoboot.
Armbian won't boot with the Petitboot and having " probing PXE" logs is normal since PXE boot is trying on every boot.

If you like to run Debian Bullseye, you can try install using the Netboot Installer. For this, go for "Exit to shell" in the Petitboot and run "netboot_default" in the command line, then back to the Petitboot menu with "exit" command. You will see severnal boot entries if the network connection is fine, and Netboot Installer will help you to install Debian/Ubuntu to your USB storage directly without attaching/detaching it.

Please try and let me know how it works.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
deelan (Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:25 am)

deelan
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C4
Been thanked: 0

Post by deelan »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:00 am
Booting into the Bullseye netboot installer worked fine, and I could install it to my SSD, the installation shows up in petitboot but I am not able to boot.

Once it boots into Linux my screen goes blank and I don't get any response on the network. Rebooting the board with CTRL+ALT+DEL works so I'm assuming the kernel is running but has no way of using the display.
I haven't tried to hook up to UART yet, there should be more clues to whats going on there tho.

That was with Bullseye. Installing Buster rendered the entire petitboot installation broken, I was getting no more picture and no more petitboot until I reflashed the SD card. I was careful to not touch the SD card and only install to SSD.

Trying Ubuntu Live I saw it actually downloading a live ISO, boot into it and prompt me a login shell, but it was clear that something was going wrong, as I was not getting a GUI and ubuntu:<blank password> didn't work.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

deelan wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:12 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:00 am
Booting into the Bullseye netboot installer worked fine, and I could install it to my SSD, the installation shows up in petitboot but I am not able to boot.

Once it boots into Linux my screen goes blank and I don't get any response on the network. Rebooting the board with CTRL+ALT+DEL works so I'm assuming the kernel is running but has no way of using the display.
I haven't tried to hook up to UART yet, there should be more clues to whats going on there tho.
After installing the Bullseye, I believe you are able to see the screen of the Petitboot but no screen after selecting the Bullseye boot entry. So after using this installation, you are able to reboot anyway. Correct? What's the vendor/model of your display? Are you able to try with any other HDMI display, like 1080p TV? If there is no screen after booting from the Petitboot, I believe there are two reasons - 1) stuck at one of booting procedure (network or file system mounting) or 2) your display is not compatible with the kernel.
That was with Bullseye. Installing Buster rendered the entire petitboot installation broken, I was getting no more picture and no more petitboot until I reflashed the SD card. I was careful to not touch the SD card and only install to SSD.
This is strange...let me test Buster with ODROID-C4 again.
Trying Ubuntu Live I saw it actually downloading a live ISO, boot into it and prompt me a login shell, but it was clear that something was going wrong, as I was not getting a GUI and ubuntu:<blank password> didn't work.
Ubuntu Live boot does not give you GUI, so I think it's ok having login shell and this is only for maintainence purpose. Its account and password is odroid/odroid. This is also strange that you have a screen with Ubuntu Live since it's also based on Linux 5.x kernel.

Are you able to flash the Debian Bullseye image to your SD card and see if it boots with your display?
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/ra ... /bullseye/

deelan

Post by deelan »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:43 am
What's the vendor/model of your display? Are you able to try with any other HDMI display, like 1080p TV?
I'm using a BenQ GL2450 computer LCD connected directly over HDMI, no DVI converter in between.

I can also try with a TV.
tobetter wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:43 am
Are you able to flash the Debian Bullseye image to your SD card and see if it boots with your display?
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/ra ... /bullseye/
I flashed it and it boots up fine. I can see a login shell on screen, log in, the network comes up, everything.

Not sure what to make from this.. Aside from definetly further testing and maybe seeing if I can find a Serial converter to hook up to UART..

deelan

Post by deelan »

Okay it seems like those installs were somehow corrupted. My current Bullseye install works flawlessly!

It boots off the SSD, gives me a display, reboots like a charm, everything!

Really happy about how well it works now, thank you very much for the petitboot mod and netinstaller :)

EarBiteR
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2 running libre-elec

Post by EarBiteR »

Hi @Tobetter,

I flashed mmcboot.img to sd on my new C4 from your 20201222 and petitboot comes up nicely. I just cant seem to get it to see anything plugged into usb.
Using etcher I wrote an armbian version to a ssd on a usb adapter, as well as a thumbdrive. I even put a working armbian sd into a usb/sd adapter (how I write all my images) and nothing shows on the petitboot screen.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

P.S. USB is working as I run a rii usb wireless/bt? keyboard.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

EarBiteR wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:17 am
Hi @Tobetter,

I flashed mmcboot.img to sd on my new C4 from your 20201222 and petitboot comes up nicely. I just cant seem to get it to see anything plugged into usb.
Using etcher I wrote an armbian version to a ssd on a usb adapter, as well as a thumbdrive. I even put a working armbian sd into a usb/sd adapter (how I write all my images) and nothing shows on the petitboot screen.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

P.S. USB is working as I run a rii usb wireless/bt? keyboard.
Sorry, Armbian OS image is not compatible with Petitboot. Please do try to use other OS image or do run Netboot Installer from the Petitboot if you like to Debian/Ubuntu with 5.x kernel.

EarBiteR

Post by EarBiteR »

Ok, thanks. Should they have at least showed in the list and then just failed to load? I should've tried coreelec or debian..

Do you build your own C4 optimized ubuntu? I thought I saw something but never saw a link. I'd love to try that! :-)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

EarBiteR wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:31 pm
Ok, thanks. Should they have at least showed in the list and then just failed to load? I should've tried coreelec or debian..
Not really, since actual issue is not kernel blob or device tree. The problem is that they use upstream bootloader and its script which is not able to parsed to display the boot entry. This is not figured out yet. :(
Do you build your own C4 optimized ubuntu? I thought I saw something but never saw a link. I'd love to try that! :-)
I am running my own package server ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr for ODROID-N2/N2Plus/C4/HC4 and here are links supported versions. Even the threads are talking about Ubuntu, my server also provide Debian 10/11 as well. They can be installed using the Netboot Installer from the Petitboot, the installation can be done to USB storage directly.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=42981
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=42300
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=37109

If you are more interesting to Debian and more familiar to use ready-to-use OS image, I think @meveric's one is good option.
viewtopic.php?f=203&t=38729
viewtopic.php?f=203&t=38729

EarBiteR

Post by EarBiteR »

Hi Tobetter, I have tried installing a few dists from your site and the netboot install goes well, installing ubuntu 21.04 and 21.10 with ubuntu minimal desktop and openssh option. Upon reboot they fail with no ip assigned (according to my router) IF I have a TV connected via HDMI which is what I am trying to build for. If I use acer lcd monitor then it works. A Sanyo and dynex tv both failed.

Im wondering if its something with petitboot or ubuntu. This is on an install to a 120g usb attached ssd. I moved the drive over to my desktop to see if there were any logs that might give a clue but I dont think the os is loading enough for that. Are there any petitboot logs saved or can I force that?

My goal is to run an os on the ssd that can have enough driver support for accelerated video for firefox and then also be able to run Kodi (using framebuffer) as this new C4 should a good choice.

Petitboot 20201123 installed on SD.

Thanks..

Return to “Projects”