MsJaye
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 0

Re: [OS] Debian Buster for ODROID C4/HC4

Post by MsJaye »

meveric wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:10 am
I recently encountered similar issues like you describe with my HC4 as well after an upgrade, while it was working before that for several months without issues.

I'll check on the topic if something changed that caused the image to no longer work on the HC4.
Hey there,

Any progress on this front? I bought my HC4 because it was advertised as having Wake On LAN, and Wake On RTC. Is the in-house kernel the only way to have these work?

Thanks,
Jaye.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

I have been looking into this and after disassembling and testing with UART connected.
It seems the HC4 can't handle root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 as a boot argument for the rootfs partition and instead tries to load from: /dev/mmcblk0p2
This fails since it's using SD card which is /dev/mmcblk1p2 so if you modify the boot.ini and replace root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 with root=/dev/mmcblk1p2
This image works fine.

Of cause I can't make this the default, as that would render all C4 that boot from eMMC to have the same issue as currently the HC4 has.

So as an easy fix, for those who want to use the image on the HC4 replace the root= paramenter in bootargs and it should work again, while I try to figure out how to fix it in the long run so it works for all ODROID C4 models.

Edit:
I've uploaded a new base image and adjusted the links in the first post.
The boot.ini will now detect automatically if you're using a C4 or HC4 and adjust the rootfs command-line accordingly.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

MsJaye

Post by MsJaye »

meveric wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:25 pm
I have been looking into this and after disassembling and testing with UART connected.

<deletia>

Edit:
The boot.ini will now detect automatically if you're using a C4 or HC4 and adjust the rootfs command-line accordingly.
Excellent! The image boots, and wake on LAN works properly now, after enabling it in boot.ini.

Many thanks! Sent a small donation. :)
These users thanked the author MsJaye for the post:
meveric (Thu May 13, 2021 3:57 am)

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

Thanks a lot.
I'm glad it's working again :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Prasath
Been thanked: 0

Post by Prasath »

meveric wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:25 pm
It seems the HC4 can't handle root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 as a boot argument for the rootfs partition and instead tries to load from: /dev/mmcblk0p2
This fails since it's using SD card which is /dev/mmcblk1p2 so if you modify the boot.ini and replace root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 with root=/dev/mmcblk1p2
This image works fine.

Of cause I can't make this the default, as that would render all C4 that boot from eMMC to have the same issue as currently the HC4 has.

So as an easy fix, for those who want to use the image on the HC4 replace the root= paramenter in bootargs and it should work again, while I try to figure out how to fix it in the long run so it works for all ODROID C4 models.

Edit:
I'm trying to run this from a flash drive, Can you let me know what I can replace "mmcblk1p2" with.

meveric

Post by meveric »

not sure what you consider a flash drive, as SD card is also a flash drive.

But you can replace it probably with the device name and partition for example /dev/sda1 or something like that.
But of cause first you have to copy over your rootfs on that drive.

Prasath

Post by Prasath »

I meant a USB Flash Drive. It is the boot drive.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance, M1

Post by mad_ady »

Most likely /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2 based on the image you're flashing

bionix

Post by bionix »

Reviewing your suggestions about how to boot from another storage than sdcard, i've tried to follow the instructions here.
Of course the first attempt failed (setup odroid to other storage via rsync, lvm etc.), because i also had to upgrade petiboot.
Therefor i upgraded petiboot to the latest version (from http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... odroidhc4/) with image spiboot-20210129.img.
The upgrade has been successfully completed but after that upgrade, petiboot won't start from sdcard anymore.
Fun fact: it reads the sdcard, because i downgraded petiboot after that "mistake" via spiupdate_odroidhc4_20201222.img.xz to predecessor version with that sdcard, but it still refuses to boot from that sdcard.
But unfortunately petiboot won't start a default distribution (buster, ubuntu) from sdcard anymore - even in this version.
How can i fix that?

Maybe it's time to create a simple wiki page with a walk through to install meveric's debian buster image step by step from sdcard to hard drive/whatever.

Another note: With current petiboot images, there seems to be issues to USB keyboards, as my cable bound standard USB keyboard won't become recognized and therefor i cannot make use of netboot/net install. The same keyboard works at any other SBC like raspberry pi 1-3B+.

Could you give me a hint to get that HC4 to boot from sdcard again, best working petiboot image for example and how to "downgrade" correctly?
By the way: Yes, i already tried several boot.ini configurations to load the rootfs from the correct partition etc.

best regards :)

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

bionix wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:37 pm
Reviewing your suggestions about how to boot from another storage than sdcard, i've tried to follow the instructions here.
Of course the first attempt failed (setup odroid to other storage via rsync, lvm etc.), because i also had to upgrade petiboot.
Therefor i upgraded petiboot to the latest version (from http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... odroidhc4/) with image spiboot-20210129.img.
The upgrade has been successfully completed but after that upgrade, petiboot won't start from sdcard anymore.
Fun fact: it reads the sdcard, because i downgraded petiboot after that "mistake" via spiupdate_odroidhc4_20201222.img.xz to predecessor version with that sdcard, but it still refuses to boot from that sdcard.
But unfortunately petiboot won't start a default distribution (buster, ubuntu) from sdcard anymore - even in this version.
How can i fix that?
Download another image v20201222 and copy this file as spiboot.img in the first partition of your SD card, then the Petitboot will update the image on next power cycle. If this does not work, please do create your own thread for the Petitboot support.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201222.img
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
bionix (Tue May 25, 2021 5:35 am)

bionix

Post by bionix »

tobetter wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:43 pm
Download another image v20201222 and copy this file as spiboot.img in the first partition of your SD card ...
Thank you tobetter, currently the sd card boots without any issue with exactly that petiboot version 20201222. The "mistake" was a combination of options in boot.ini which lead to a freeze at startup, using a samsung tv as display:
display_autodetect "false" # works fine
hdmimode "1080p60hz" # works fine
monitor_onoff "false" # works fine too
# in combination with above, switching follwing parameters, image freezes (don't know if kernel panic or sth because i won't see anything) at boot stage:
sdrmode "sdr"
disablehpd "true"

Koejo

Post by Koejo »

does the kernel support touch components ?

meveric

Post by meveric »

Koejo wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:15 am
does the kernel support touch components ?
Which Kernel?
Kernel 4.9 is the same as the one provided by HardKernel and has pretty much the same feature.

Benny
ODROIDs: U3

pcf8563 RTC clock for the C4

Post by Benny »

Good Evening,
I've just trying out this image (brilliant so far) but I can't get the PCF8563 RTC to work. I've tried both methods from the Odroid wiki https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/add-o ... roid-c4hc4 (which are meant for the Ubuntu image) but none seem to work.
I did have to make a few changes due to the different distribution.
Using the DTC method, /media/boot/config.ini didn't exist but I found "Device Tree Overlay" in /boot/boot.ini. I then added "setenv overlay_custom "pcf8563"
When this didn't work, I tried the non-DTC method. After installing device-tree-compiler, the command:
fdtput -t s /boot/meson64_odroidc4.dtb /soc/cbus@ffd00000/i2c@1d000 status "okay"
appeared to complete with no error.
fdtput -t s /boot/meson64_odroidc4.dtb /soc/cbus@ffd00000/i2c@1d000/rtc@51 status "okay"
returned the following error:
Error at '/soc/cbus@ffd00000/i2c@1d000/rtc@51': FDT_ERR_NOTFOUND
/dev/rtc0 or /dev/rtc1 are not present.
Grateful for any guidance.

meveric

Post by meveric »

never tried this to be honest.. let me see what I can find out :)

att2
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2, Odroid C4 Also : Bananapi, Orangepi, Raspi3

Post by att2 »

I'm using the kernel 5.11 version of Debian Buster , my boot/config.ini looks like this :

/boot/config.ini:
[generic]
overlays="i2c0 i2c1 uart0 uart1 uart2 uart3 pcf8563"

And the realtimeclock just worked out of the box, I did not have to do anything. Except maybe

systemctl disable systemd-timesyncd.service
systemctl mask systemd-timesyncd.service

That I did so the systemd service would not interfere with the RTC.

att2

Post by att2 »

By the way, Hardkernel just reported they updated their u-boot. I didn't notice any difference, but they say that Meveric should add the updated u-boot to his repo:
viewtopic.php?p=348192#p348192
Edit: I have reverted to using kernel 4.9.277 on Debian Buster, since Kernel 5 doesn't work well with Waveshare touch screens (20 rasterlines or so hanging down, very slow and smear when moving windows around, HDMI sound issues)

meveric

Post by meveric »

I'll check the u-boot package and update accordingly.

gDaniels
ODROIDs: N2, XU4

Post by gDaniels »

Anyone know why the C4 becomes unresponsive on reboot? I'm using the Debian 11 image from https://docs.linuxfactory.or.kr/install ... image.html. Everything else seems to work so far but when I run "reboot", it hangs and never comes back up. If I cycle power it comes back up fine.

I did a search and this seems to be a very old problem with the C4 using other distros, and even back on the C2. However, I tried the Ubuntu 20.04 from the same link above and reboot works with that.

The Armbian distro for the C4 says to do a "nand-sata-install -> "Update bootloader" to fix reboot issues, but I don't know what this does or how to do this in Debian.

I can use Ubuntu if I must, but I'd like to keep using Debian if possible.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Sounds like Armbian gets around this by updating uboot to mainline.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

gDaniels wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:00 am
Anyone know why the C4 becomes unresponsive on reboot? I'm using the Debian 11 image from https://docs.linuxfactory.or.kr/install ... image.html. Everything else seems to work so far but when I run "reboot", it hangs and never comes back up. If I cycle power it comes back up fine.

I did a search and this seems to be a very old problem with the C4 using other distros, and even back on the C2. However, I tried the Ubuntu 20.04 from the same link above and reboot works with that.

The Armbian distro for the C4 says to do a "nand-sata-install -> "Update bootloader" to fix reboot issues, but I don't know what this does or how to do this in Debian.

I can use Ubuntu if I must, but I'd like to keep using Debian if possible.
Do you run on eMMC or SD card? If SD card, what's the brand and model of it?

gDaniels

Post by gDaniels »

It's a SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC UHS-1 16GB

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

gDaniels wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:24 pm
It's a SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC UHS-1 16GB
SanDisk should work for rebooting, but it's also true that mainline kernel plus Hardkernel's U-Boot would have an issue about reboot in certain condition. Not sure if mainline U-Boot does not, I never tried it. You can try Armbian if their reboot works or not.

gDaniels

Post by gDaniels »

Thanks for the response. I am testing this for a commercial product. It is obviously unacceptable to have reboot fail because of the SD card used.

It's hard to believe they haven't fixed this since at least 2016.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

gDaniels wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:12 pm
Thanks for the response. I am testing this for a commercial product. It is obviously unacceptable to have reboot fail because of the SD card used.

It's hard to believe they haven't fixed this since at least 2016.
It's a bit different issue that SD card rebooting issue in certain condition could be happened with mainline kernel. If you are trying to use it for commercial product, it would be worth and more supportive to use 4.9 kernel and eMMC is highly recommended.

EDIT: by the way, what's the output of uname -a?

gDaniels

Post by gDaniels »

It will no longer boot up on that SD card so I can't do the uname. I was experimenting with installing 32-bit support. What worked in Debian corrupted Ubuntu.

Are you saying it would be better to use this:

viewtopic.php?f=203&t=38729

Instead of the later version linked above because it uses the 4.9 kernel? Will the "apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade" change the kernel version?

I don't need the most cutting edge version. I just need it to work and be stable.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

gDaniels wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:06 am
It will no longer boot up on that SD card so I can't do the uname. I was experimenting with installing 32-bit support. What worked in Debian corrupted Ubuntu.
If you are not able to boot up with SD card, I guess your SD card is corrupted. I do highly recommend to use eMMC for reliable file system management.
Are you saying it would be better to use this:

viewtopic.php?f=203&t=38729
I mean the OS image from Hardkernel,
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c4/os_images/ubuntu
Instead of the later version linked above because it uses the 4.9 kernel? Will the "apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade" change the kernel version?
No, it's not. You need to flash new OS image.
I don't need the most cutting edge version. I just need it to work and be stable.
If you are not using the OS image from @meveric who is maintinaing Debian images for this community and the owner of this thread, please do start your own thread.
gDaniels (Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:28 am)

gDaniels

Post by gDaniels »

I assumed the images at https://docs.linuxfactory.or.kr/install ... image.html were updated version of what is in this thread. Either way, I have concluded my testing with the C4.

Thanks for the help.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

gDaniels wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:29 am
I assumed the images at https://docs.linuxfactory.or.kr/install ... image.html were updated version of what is in this thread. Either way, I have concluded my testing with the C4.

Thanks for the help.
Not really, the images in the link are from me but I have different threads. And this thread the images from @meveric, different image and different management.

gDaniels

Post by gDaniels »

Ok, sorry about that then.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

gDaniels wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:05 am
Ok, sorry about that then.
No, nothing wrong. Just to make sure and want you to be get supported properly. :)

gDaniels

Post by gDaniels »

I just tried the Debian in this thread and reboot works. Feel free to delete all of my comments here if possible.

gDaniels

Post by gDaniels »

I went ahead and kept working on the image from this thread and everything is working fine except the RTC Shield (https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/rtc-shield/).

I have tried everything I have seen in the threads here and from a general web search and I can't get it to work. There is no /boot/config.ini file.

uname -a
Linux hostname 4.9.277-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 10 23:51:35 CET 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux

i2cdetect -y 0
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- 51 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

lsmod
Module Size Used by
amvdec_ports 200704 0
stream_input 180224 1 amvdec_ports
decoder_common 188416 2 amvdec_ports,stream_input
i2c_meson_master 20480 0
firmware 28672 2 decoder_common,stream_input
media_clock 45056 4 decoder_common,amvdec_ports,firmware,stream_input
ip_tables 32768 0
x_tables 49152 1 ip_tables
ipv6 466944 21
spidev 20480 0
spi_meson_spicc 20480 0

ls /dev/rtc* shows nothing.

Is there any way to get this working in 4.9.277? If i update the kernel, I assume the reboot problem will come back.

att2

Post by att2 »

About RTC: You absolutely need to have a boot.ini file and you need to edit the overlays; maybe you will find it in /media/boot/ ?

gDaniels

Post by gDaniels »

All of the examples I saw said to edit "/boot/config.ini" which doesn't exist. I do have a "/boot/boot.ini" and I changed this line:

if test "${overlay_profile}" = "default"; then setenv overlays "spi0 i2c0 i2c1 uart0"; fi

to:
if test "${overlay_profile}" = "default"; then setenv overlays "spi0 i2c0 i2c1 uart0 pcf8563"; fi

And it works now. I also did "apt install device-tree-compiler" earlier when I was trying to get it to work. I don't know if this was necessary though.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

gDaniels wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:32 am
All of the examples I saw said to edit "/boot/config.ini" which doesn't exist. I do have a "/boot/boot.ini" and I changed this line:

if test "${overlay_profile}" = "default"; then setenv overlays "spi0 i2c0 i2c1 uart0"; fi

to:
if test "${overlay_profile}" = "default"; then setenv overlays "spi0 i2c0 i2c1 uart0 pcf8563"; fi

And it works now. I also did "apt install device-tree-compiler" earlier when I was trying to get it to work. I don't know if this was necessary though.
If you use Hardkernel's OS images, /media/boot/boot.ini is correct, otherwise /boot/boot.ini with other OS image with 5.x kernel. And device-tree-compiler is not necessary to help this problem.

Sakura

Post by Sakura »

is there any way to get Full disk encryption working like on armbian?

meveric

Post by meveric »

Haven't tried it yet.
The boot partition can obviously not be encrypted, the rootfs should be fine and since you can define your rootfs you can point it to the encrypted container as well.
The initramfs should ask for encryption password, but as I said I've never tried it.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

I've done the disk encryption on ODROID-M1, the same instruction could be possible to ODROID-C4 or HC4 as well with the Netboot Installer.
viewtopic.php?p=349824#p349824
Sakura (Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:36 am)

Wilco
ODROIDs: Odroid C$

Post by Wilco »

Hello i installed this image on a sd-card for my first odroid.

1. i get an ip-number
2. i connected monitor+keybaord => only flashing cursor on screen
3. connect with putty on port 22=> only flashing cursor in window

how can i connect and do something?
or is my odroid broken?

kind regards
Wilco

meveric

Post by meveric »

I'd suggest trying to reflash the image.. on the first boot it does some maintenance tasks and does a reboot, after that reboot the system should be ready to use.
The entire process should take less than one minute.

You should see a login screen once you boot ODROID is booted, if it doesn't show something is not right.

Return to “Other OS”