Archlinux: XFCE Image for Odroid C4

jgmdev
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: U2, N2, C4

Archlinux: XFCE Image for Odroid C4

Post by jgmdev » Thu May 21, 2020 5:36 am

Arch Linux is a lightweight and flexible Linux distribution that tries to Keep It Simple but installing it can be daunting for many. So after a lot of struggle getting the kernel to properly compile and u-boot here I present you the counterpart work of what I already did with the Odroid N2. This image was generated by a shell script so you can generate your own (more details about the ArchLinux Disk Image Generator on Github). Sometimes is easier to just burn an image than going thru the whole setup process. So besides Manjaro (which is based on ArchLinux), for those that would like to give ArchLinux a run, here I share this ready to use image.

What is Included?
  • Latest XFCE Desktop Environment.
  • Latest Hardkernel 4.9.218 fork changes.
  • Binary FBDEV driver for Hardware Acceleration. Thanks to @tobetter for instructions
  • GL4ES for OpenGL to OpenGL ES FBDEV conversion which allows many applications to run with good graphical performance. Thanks to @meveric for instructions.
  • Bluetooth
  • Networking with NetworkManager
  • Pre-configured cpupower.
  • Yay AUR helper.
  • Pamac software center.
  • Use of Arc desktop theme and Papirus icon theme by default.
  • Preconfigured bindings that give XFCE tiling functionality (see Keyboard/Window Manager on System Settings).
  • SSH Enabled.
  • Bigger and more readable tty font.
  • A nice space wallpaper :lol:
Here are some basic screenshots:

Software Center provided by Pamac

Installation

The process of burning the image into a SD or EMMC card should be the same as with other images and is well documented in other places so I will not write about that here.

Login Credentials:
username: alarm
password: alarm

Administration:
username: root
password: root

Note: Don't forget to change the default password for added security.

Setup

Since this image uses xfce settings that I created on the Odroid N4 the cpu frequency monitor will need to be re-added (if desired). After booting into the system you will want to resize the partition since this process isn't done automatically at boot. Instead gparted is included on the image.

Note: SuperKey is also known as WinKey
  1. Press SuperKey + a to open the applications menu.
  2. Type gparted and press enter.
  3. Follow the instructions on the image below.

After resizing the partition there is an issue I wasn't able to fully fix at the image generation step, which is the system locale setup. So to get proper characters rendered on the terminal:
  1. Press SuperKey + t to drop down the terminal
  2. Type: sudo locale-gen and press enter
  3. Type: sudo localectl set-locale en_US.UTF-8
  4. Reboot or restart Lightdm
Finally, configure the weather panel plugin on the top which reads "No Data" by right clicking it and setting your location to get nice weather reports and install any other software that you need. Enjoy!

What Works?

For details on what tested applications support GPU Hardware Acceleration check the Archlinux: X GPU Acceleration Guide, If you test more OpenGL applications that work with GL4ES let me know to update the list.

Next step will be creating a ready to use GNOME image with Wayland Hardware Acceleration but for that I think I first need to know how to compile the latest release candidate kernel for the Odroid C4 in order to install latest dkms mali driver. Any tips or hints are welcome.

Other Images I have Worked on

Odroid N2 ArchLinux Wayfire
Odroid N2 ArchLinux XFCE
Odroid C4 ArchLinux Wayfire

Download Link

https://mega.nz/file/yMUBWAqR#8s0Gbo7c4 ... hPv_WCSTh0
These users thanked the author jgmdev for the post (total 3):
odroid (Thu May 21, 2020 9:05 am) • mad_ady (Thu May 21, 2020 1:35 pm) • nl.smart (Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm)

Return to “Other OS”