Re: Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa)

Post by tobetter »

m_ueberall wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:06 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:29 am
m_ueberall wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:04 am
@tobetter, would it be possible to include vhost_vsock.ko with your future builds of kernels 5.10.y (because these receive long-term support upstream(*)) and newer by setting CONFIG_VHOST_VSOCK=m? (...)
@m_ueberall, I've enabled two kernel features "CONFIG_VHOST_SCSI" and "CONFIG_VHOST_VSOCK" as a module and put into the build machine. Let me upload them once verified. By the way, do you want me to keep building 5.10 or will you move to 5.11 sometime soon?
Many thanks! :mrgreen: I'd appreciate if 5.10 would be available/updated for the time being as well—if only to be able to switch back and forth between at least two kernels to identify regressions.

Personally, I prefer to only move away from a kernel with long-term support for good if I absolutely have to and only if the newer kernel already landed in the Ubuntu main repository some time ago (which is currently not yet the case for 5.11). So while I'm going to (temporarily?) retry the above "experiment" with 5.11 soon, I'd rather switch back to 5.10 once it's clear that the required changes have been backported. The main reason for this is the fact that LXD—an integral part of my build environment—not always supports the latest kernels which would put me in the role of an "early adopter".
I see, thank you for sharing your thought. I would be able to upload LTS kernel package on demand, 5.11 would be only the upstream kernel version to welcome Ubuntu 21.04 and won't be updated if it's no longer LTS kernel.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

@m_ueberall, I've tested new kernel 5.10.23 with new kernel features as per your request and it works fine on me. So I've pushed to build queue to release, it will be available in a couple of hours. Please let me know if anything missing in the new kernel update.

bakkt10
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid c4
Has thanked: 0

Post by bakkt10 »

hello all, I recently bought odroid c4 with HiFi Shield 2, I intend to use it for watching movies and listening music over spdif out

I am looking for linux desktop os which is capable of doing it, so far I didn't find any working solution and tried many of them

only CoreELEC and latest Android Pie 64bit are 100% ok, video plays without stuttering (1080p) on both platforms, youtube 1k videos are also working good on Android Pie

I also tried latest ubuntu-20.04-server-odroidc4-20210301 and installed with commands as used in youtube tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MfHMKcHaUc&t=10s)

sudo apt update
sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt install mali-bifrost-wayland-driver
sudo reboot

I logged in as Ubuntu on Wayland, installed glmark2-es2-wayland which showed more fps than yt tutorial video, which is good

then I run https://webglsamples.org/aquarium/aquarium.html on firefox which showed only 1 fps
as in tutorial I added export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 to /usr/bin/firefox and after that firefox shows a warning of no support for WebGL ..

is there any new easier way for getting things done, any help would be appreciated

hanguofu
Been thanked: 0

Post by hanguofu »

Installing ubuntu-desktop and mali-bifrost-wayland-driver with error : installed mali-bifrost-wayland-driver:arm64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

I installed ubuntu-20.04-server-odroidc4-20210301.img at my C4 and tied to install ubuntu-desktop and mali-bifrost-wayland-driver . But the installation stops with errors. Please refer to :

https://pastebin.com/cg7hR8VX

for the log. Please feel free to let me know if you cannot access the log file. Besides , I can confirm that main,non-free,contrib are avail. at ppa-linuxfactory-or-kr.list

I would like to try the mpv hardware decode feature for movies playing. Is the distro. a good choice ? Regards !

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

hanguofu wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:29 pm
Installing ubuntu-desktop and mali-bifrost-wayland-driver with error : installed mali-bifrost-wayland-driver:arm64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

I installed ubuntu-20.04-server-odroidc4-20210301.img at my C4 and tied to install ubuntu-desktop and mali-bifrost-wayland-driver . But the installation stops with errors. Please refer to :

https://pastebin.com/cg7hR8VX

for the log. Please feel free to let me know if you cannot access the log file. Besides , I can confirm that main,non-free,contrib are avail. at ppa-linuxfactory-or-kr.list

I would like to try the mpv hardware decode feature for movies playing. Is the distro. a good choice ? Regards !
When I looked at the log, the problem is package dependency which I have to check. However, I think you'd better try mpv with Ubuntu 21.04 instead of 20.04 in you never installed yet.

maideii

Post by maideii »

Hi all, is there anyone know how to install a working Kodi?

brad
ODROIDs: C2 C4 HC4 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

This is more of an Ubuntu thing I believe but I noticed on my HC4 fstrim is running against my HDD's weekly, last night it ran for 5 hours (it starts every week Monday 00:00 which is Ubuntu default):

Code: Select all

Aug 23 05:02:36 urbackup fstrim[20311]: /mnt/urbackup: 1.7 TiB (1869040107520 bytes) trimmed on /dev/sda1
Aug 23 05:02:36 urbackup fstrim[20311]: /boot: 121.5 MiB (127430656 bytes) trimmed on /dev/mmcblk0p1
Aug 23 05:02:36 urbackup fstrim[20311]: /: 1.1 GiB (1144373248 bytes) trimmed on /dev/mapper/vgurbackup-root
Aug 23 05:02:36 urbackup systemd[1]: fstrim.service: Succeeded.
I wonder if anyone knows how to disable it for HDD's whilst allowing it to run against the sd card? Maybe I need to mount HDD's with automount instead of fstab.

For the moment disabled and stopped the systemd timer fstrim.timer

biterror
ODROIDs: C1+, XU4

Post by biterror »

Where can you find the mali-bifrost-wayland-driver these days? :-o

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

biterror wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:23 pm
It's been more than a year, you can install the package if you follow up the instruction in this thread and this link.
https://docs.linuxfactory.or.kr/guides/gpu_bifrost.html

biterror

Post by biterror »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:37 pm
biterror wrote:
It's been more than a year, you can install the package if you follow up the instruction in this thread and this link.
Thanks for the reply. I must be missing something here - your link tells me to use "apt install" to install the driver, but the package is not found. I have tried this with Armbian and the ubuntu-21.04-server-odroidc4-20210502.img (with apt dist-upgrade) and all i get is "E: Unable to locate package mali-bifrost-wayland-driver".

Is it possible to get Chromium browser running with Wayland without installing the full desktop environment to C4? That would make a nice kiosk system.

EDIT: Okay, I noticed that Panfrost driver is installed on the system, so maybe I don't need the Bifrost driver. However, I can't run the glmark2 - maybe it needs full X11 to be installed? It says "Could not initialize canvas".
Last edited by biterror on Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

biterror wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:37 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:37 pm
biterror wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I must be missing something here - your link tells me to use "apt install" to install the driver, but the package is not found. I have tried this with Armbian and the ubuntu-21.04-server-odroidc4-20210502.img (with apt dist-upgrade) and all i get is "E: Unable to locate package mali-bifrost-wayland-driver".

Is it possible to get Chromium browser running with Wayland without installing the full desktop environment to C4? That would make a nice kiosk system.
What do you have in the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ppa_linuxfactory_or_kr.list?
Please note that mali-bifrost-wayland-driver package won't be installed to Armbian since it's been customized package for OS setup from me.
You will need a bare minimal window manager to run Chromium if you do not want to install full desktop on C4.

biterror

Post by biterror »

I don't have /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ppa_linuxfactory_or_kr.list on this image, I can try adding it. But which driver do I want for a kiosk system - Bifrost or Panfrost? I need something that is production quality. I think X11 supports Panfrost but not Bifrost. On the other hand, if I can make the browser work with Wayland, I might not need X11 at all (although I have a small status window based on X11 on C2). Too many questions. :-)

Return to “Ubuntu”