Home NAS setup process with ODROID HC4

Max_sky
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid HC4
Been thanked: 0

Home NAS setup process with ODROID HC4

Post by Max_sky »

Hello! Hopefully I've found the right place to ask a question and very grateful in advance for any attention and/or support.

I've bought Odroid HC4 and 2x4TB HDDs to create my own NAS and store my media there in RAID 1 manner + potentially set up a cloud via "NextCloud" for 24/7 access + upload - that is a dream :) I am not that advanced in configuring software, that is why I created this topic and would highly appreciate if you could advise whether the process I am taking is correct.

As of now, I've installed Debian 11 bullseye and OMV using:
- this Youtube video: https://youtu.be/6YWZ5hFmVII?si=4C0ImjExexgWBilk
- this wiki page: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-hc4/soft ... ll_omv_nas

So I can connect to my Odroid via SSH from my Windows PC and start configuring OMW.

Next, I plan to setup everything in OMW: create RAID -> create FIle System -> Mount -> create Shared folder -> enable SMB/CIFS -> add a Share -> connect to a Share from my Windows PC particularly, using this video as a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uh60qZMYrk

As a result, I expect to be able to access my HDDs via local network and move my media data there using the local network

In further plans - NextCloud setup on top of this, so that I could access my media online + upload it there aswell.

Couple of questions that appear here and there, but it is a bit complicated to find a specific answer:
1. Is it true, that Odroid HC4 can't run without SD card and it must stay in a device with OS on it running? Isn't that bad for SD card and are there any possible workarounds?
2. Will NextCloud work with such OMV setup process?

Again, I am very grateful in advance for your time and support. In case I am addressing this incorrectly - my apologies.
Also, If you have anything to add regarding the process I am taking - it would be much appreciated.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: Home NAS setup process with ODROID HC4

Post by tobetter »

HC4 can run without SD card if you keep running Petitboot so all OS set up sits in HDD/SDD. Netboot Installer could help you to set up RAID or partition layout while installing. But there is a limitation that one partition is required for /boot and it must not in RAID nor encrypted. It's because Petitboot can read files from legacy file system.

I am not sure if NextClod can run on top of OMV. They both may have a conflict, I hope other expert help on this.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
Max_sky (Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:54 pm)

Max_sky

Post by Max_sky »

Thank you for an answer!

Yesterday managed to setup OMV and transfer 1st file to the "Toster" - with me being a сomplete novice that was a win! :)

I just wonder, is there any tutorial or video which might explain on how to transfer OS to HDD/SSD from SD card? Do I correctly understand that I will need to format my HDDs to transfer OS there? Just thinking because of it to know if I can transfer data already or it is better to transfer OS first.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, N2L, H2, H3+, Go, Go Advance, M1, M1S

Post by mad_ady »

It's more difficult (though not impossible) to transfer the OS to the HDD, especially for HDDs in RAID.
When using petitboot, you'll need to have /boot as a standalone non-raid partition either on a small always-on SD card, or on one of the HDDs. The rest of theOS can live inside the RAID.

But it's easier to install from scratch and partition/create raid with mdadmin in the installer than afterwards.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
Max_sky (Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:54 pm)

Max_sky

Post by Max_sky »

Much appreaciated! Will do accordingly then.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, N2L, H2, H3+, Go, Go Advance, M1, M1S

Post by mad_ady »

The netboot installer should allow you to do more advancend partitioning. First, put aside 256MB at the beginning of each disk. Format and mount one of these as /boot. Ignore the other one for now (or you can format it as swap if you like). Next, create raid on the remaining space on both disks (you may need to create patitions of type raid, I'm not sure), but as far as I know, they need to be equal in size.

See the raid images here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller ... reRaidRoot

The only problem is - if the disk holding /boot fails, the syste won't boot anymore, but your data will be safe on the second disk. Also, remember that RAID != backup. Erasing data will affect both disks, for example

EarBiteR
ODROIDs: N2,C4's,C1's running CoreElec and Bullseye

Post by EarBiteR »

I am currently running omv4 (asrock e350m1) and testing omv7 on a C4. On my omv4 I dont run raid. I use a nightly job to rsync to another drive on the system. Works well - it was up 1500+ days until our recent power outage. I have a couple 120g ssd in usb3 cases (drive and case <$30) and on one I have debian 11 installed and upgraded to 12 (bookworm) and its running very well. I did that install through petitboot netboot install. I tried the same recently (netboot install of bookworm) and it fails to setup the network properly so I dont recommend that method.

I am planning to get an HC4 soon and stand it up. I am testing omv7 in a vm and it looks like a nice upgrade.

On my omv4 I installed debian then omv. I plan to do the same on Odroid. Using petitboot to start the system, then have the os on one of the drives - NOT the SD. OMV now has a plugin to let you use the OS drive space for storage where on the older versions this wasnt allowed. By installing the os first you can setup the drives the way you want (raid1) .

Max_sky

Post by Max_sky »

I might be wrong, but I've seen information here and there that in any case the SD card is needed to have boot loader there. OS though can be moved to SSD\HDD

But stepping aside - is the only problem with having OS + OMV on SD card is that it wears down and in one moment can "die"? Maybe my motivation behind asking this question is to know whether I really need to reinstall everything THAT MUCH and deal with partitioning (to which I am novice as well) or if it can "live" for a year and I will be fine with replacing OS when SD card dies.

EarBiteR
ODROIDs: N2,C4's,C1's running CoreElec and Bullseye

Post by EarBiteR »

Yes, you need an SD to start the boot process. Then load the OS from other storage. SD's can only be written to so many times before they fail. Newer ones take many more writes but when used as an OS drive its still going to be a problem. You can say the same for SSD's but they have management built in where it cycles through the entire drive using every sector before starting over.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Modern (quality) sd cards shouldn't die in a year. I used a Sandisk 16G SD card for ~3 years as rootfs on a HC2 before it developed a bad sector (but the system still ran ok).
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
EarBiteR (Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:24 pm)

Return to “General Topics”