"socketless" c4 option

Post Reply
Tenaja
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:05 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

"socketless" c4 option

Post by Tenaja » Mon May 18, 2020 11:45 pm

The "biggest" part of any sbc laptop or tablet seems to be the sockets; the rj11, and stacked USB ports make them "unusable" for "normal" tablets.

How about a version of the c4 (because it's the new darling, and low power) that does not have the sockets populated? Then we could have an add-on board that configures the usb ports side by side, and omit the Ethernet port all together.

Suddenly, the board can be used in a diy tablet or laptop that doesn't look like it was inspired by the devices of the 90s.

Just a thought, because I might consider a PineTab (for it's size) but a Pi-like SBC powered tablet would likely never leave my tinkering bench. And, I'd rather stick with one SBC mfr, and this would not likely add much cost to manufacture.

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 7606
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 665 times
Been thanked: 177 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by rooted » Mon May 18, 2020 11:56 pm

You could unsolder the connectors for LAN and USB since you would be doing a custom device one time.

The rest of the components are low profile enough to fit in a compact form factor. Maybe not as thin as an ULV laptop but close.
Last edited by rooted on Mon May 18, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7898
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 498 times
Been thanked: 348 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by mad_ady » Tue May 19, 2020 2:43 am

There were talks about a c0-like variant of c4, but HK said c0 sales were bad, so they weren't interested in this idea.

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 7606
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 665 times
Been thanked: 177 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by rooted » Tue May 19, 2020 3:05 am

Yeah that was me, I still think a S905X3 or at least a RK3326 based device in a similar or smaller form factor would be great.

Tenaja
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:05 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re:

Post by Tenaja » Wed May 20, 2020 5:28 am

mad_ady wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:43 am
There were talks about a c0-like variant of c4, but HK said c0 sales were bad, so they weren't interested in this idea.
There's a big difference in this request, though. This is not a new board. It's the same one; just omit a few parts from the bom.

User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
Posts: 34127
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID
Has thanked: 670 times
Been thanked: 614 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by odroid » Wed May 20, 2020 9:31 am

We have a few equipment to test the various IO ports in our production line.
If we don't populate the connectors, it is almost impossible to test the IO functionality.
We can't sell any untested items.

Tenaja
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:05 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by Tenaja » Thu May 21, 2020 11:07 pm

So you would need a bed of nails to test, and if you have low hopes of recovering the cost, that tool is unlikely to be designed.

What's the percent that fail testing?

User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
Posts: 34127
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID
Has thanked: 670 times
Been thanked: 614 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by odroid » Fri May 22, 2020 11:58 am

There are a couple of beds of nails and several connector plugs and receptacles.
IO ports failing rate is lower than 0.3% in the production line but it is not a negligible number at all.

User avatar
Mullcom
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:41 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by Mullcom » Sat May 23, 2020 1:52 am

odroid wrote:There are a couple of beds of nails and several connector plugs and receptacles.
IO ports failing rate is lower than 0.3% in the production line but it is not a negligible number at all.
Is Sata add-on comming ?

One sata is not enough

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk


User avatar
OldGaf
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:06 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 C2 C4
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by OldGaf » Sat May 23, 2020 2:28 am

I like to mount these on the back of a Monitor / TV by way of the VESA mount.
All the cables can be wrapped neatly together and kept out of sight.
These users thanked the author OldGaf for the post:
Mullcom (Sat May 23, 2020 3:46 am)
Thanks,
-OG-

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7898
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 498 times
Been thanked: 348 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by mad_ady » Sat May 23, 2020 1:53 pm

Mullcom wrote:
odroid wrote:There are a couple of beds of nails and several connector plugs and receptacles.
IO ports failing rate is lower than 0.3% in the production line but it is not a negligible number at all.
Is Sata add-on comming ?

One sata is not enough

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk
You can use usb-sata board, though with c4 the usb3 bandwidth is shared between all ports.

User avatar
Mullcom
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:41 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by Mullcom » Sat May 23, 2020 3:21 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Mullcom wrote:
odroid wrote:There are a couple of beds of nails and several connector plugs and receptacles.
IO ports failing rate is lower than 0.3% in the production line but it is not a negligible number at all.
Is Sata add-on comming ?

One sata is not enough

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk
You can use usb-sata board, though with c4 the usb3 bandwidth is shared between all ports.
Yes. But I want at least 3sata ports.

Like this one.
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/12/08 ... -pi-4-nas/

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk


User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7898
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 498 times
Been thanked: 348 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by mad_ady » Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm

You have enough usb3 ports (with shared bandwidth), though you can only use 2.5" drives with HK's usb-sata.

Nuems
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:50 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: xu, c1, n2
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by Nuems » Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm

OldGaf wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:28 am
I like to mount these on the back of a Monitor / TV by way of the VESA mount.
All the cables can be wrapped neatly together and kept out of sight.
Check out the N2 and the vesa mount kit.
Additionally, if it's behind the TV and it isn't visible anyway, a piece of plywood, a drill and eight screws (4 for vesa, 4 for the C4) should do the trick.

User avatar
OldGaf
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:06 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 C2 C4
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: "socketless" c4 option

Post by OldGaf » Sat May 23, 2020 11:28 pm

Nuems wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm
OldGaf wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:28 am
I like to mount these on the back of a Monitor / TV by way of the VESA mount.
All the cables can be wrapped neatly together and kept out of sight.
Check out the N2 and the vesa mount kit.
Additionally, if it's behind the TV and it isn't visible anyway, a piece of plywood, a drill and eight screws (4 for vesa, 4 for the C4) should do the trick.
Thanks but I 3D print my own.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4385966

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4308923
Thanks,
-OG-

Post Reply

Return to “General Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jgmdev and 2 guests