LEDs on the PCB

YesThatGuy
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

LEDs on the PCB

Post by YesThatGuy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Hello fellows,
So I got my OGA yesterday and everything from painting, assembling and configuration went great. But I noticed that the LEDs (I read that the blue one was for indicating a low battery charge) wont stop blinking, even if I charge the device to 100%.
Is there a way I can turn those LEDs off or even better only make them flash when they are actually supposed to flash?

Regards

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Re: LEDs on the PCB

Post by crashoverride » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:12 am

YesThatGuy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:02 pm
But I noticed that the LEDs (I read that the blue one was for indicating a low battery charge) wont stop blinking
The blue LED is labeled "ALIVE" on the board. By default it is configured to indicate a "heart beat". The more work the device is doing, the faster it "beats". If it stops blinking, the device is "dead" (locked up).

deerwings
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Post by deerwings » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:48 am

It's unfortunate that lightpiping wasn't molded into the shell to direct the LED's to shine to the front of the case so they'd be visible by the user instead of having to flip it over. I'm sure some people might be annoyed by blinkenliten, but it'd have been useful anyhow. Ah well.

YesThatGuy

Post by YesThatGuy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:13 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:12 am
The blue LED is labeled "ALIVE" on the board. By default it is configured to indicate a "heart beat". The more work the device is doing, the faster it "beats". If it stops blinking, the device is "dead" (locked up).
Thanks for the reply. I thought the blue one is only supposed to blink at boot, but well. Where/How can I configure this behaviour?

Thanks in advance!

YesThatGuy

Post by YesThatGuy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:15 pm

deerwings wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:48 am
It's unfortunate that lightpiping wasn't molded into the shell to direct the LED's to shine to the front of the case so they'd be visible by the user instead of having to flip it over. I'm sure some people might be annoyed by blinkenliten, but it'd have been useful anyhow. Ah well.
I can see them quite well from the front of the device, especially at night (then its actually somewhat blinding)

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:47 am

YesThatGuy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:13 pm
Where/How can I configure this behaviour?

Code: Select all

echo none | sudo tee /sys/bus/platform/drivers/leds-gpio/gpio_leds/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger

deerwings
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Post by deerwings » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:31 am

YesThatGuy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:15 pm
deerwings wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:48 am
I can see them quite well from the front of the device, especially at night (then its actually somewhat blinding)
They are pretty bright. I flip mine over sometimes just to make sure it's off, I'm just kinda quirky that if something I have has LED's that blink, that I like to be able to see them from the front of the unit. :)

YesThatGuy

Post by YesThatGuy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:06 pm

deerwings wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:31 am
They are pretty bright. I flip mine over sometimes just to make sure it's off, I'm just kinda quirky that if something I have has LED's that blink, that I like to be able to see them from the front of the unit. :)
Not sure if mine are unusually bright, but I can see them quite well from the front (see the pictures), which is nice during day time. But at night it's kinda hard on the eyes...
Attachments
IMG_0464.jpg
IMG_0464.jpg (172.6 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
IMG_0456.jpg
IMG_0456.jpg (255.61 KiB) Viewed 2037 times

Josh86

Post by Josh86 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:04 pm

Blue LEDs can be especially distracting/bright. I have some on a computer case and my cable modem uses blue LEDs...I always cover them up.

At night, it's incredibly annoying and the pulsing blue LED paired with the red looks like there's a miniature police car in the room strobing it's lights. It's bright enough to wake someone who is sleeping in the same room. A clear case just makes it worse and it's essentially a diffuser and spreads the light in every direction.

I ended up putting piece of white electrical/vinyl tape over all the LEDs on the board. They still shine through, but it really cuts down their efficacy...so it's much better. I also covered up the back of the LCD like others as the metal shield doesn't cover two places where it's backlit. Used some black tape for that like others.

Sheae
languages_spoken: english, hungarian
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Post by Sheae » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 pm

Painting the shell can help you with the bright LEDs. I have it painted white, and I can't see the LEDs at all from the front, neither day nor night.

When I actually want to see them (when turning the device on or off) I just look at the device from the top, where the LEDs can be seen through a small gap near the USB port.

JLsoft
ODROIDs: ODROID Go Advance

Post by JLsoft » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:17 pm

Just to add to this, if you: cat /sys/bus/platform/drivers/leds-gpio/gpio_leds/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger, you can see a list of other things the LED can show.

For example, if you do: echo mmc0 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/leds-gpio/gpio_leds/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger, then it will flicker with MicroSD card access.

fasthagar
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: ODROID Go Advance

Post by fasthagar » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:18 pm

I want the blue LED completely off, so I entered (via putty, using Batocera):

echo none > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/leds-gpio/gpio_leds/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger

Blue LED is off, but only until next boot? Howto save the off state permanently?

Sheae
languages_spoken: english, hungarian

Post by Sheae » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:39 pm

fasthagar wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:18 pm

echo none > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/leds-gpio/gpio_leds/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger

Blue LED is off, but only until next boot? Howto save the off state permanently?
You could this line into a startup script.

space meta fighter x

Post by space meta fighter x » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:25 am

or take an iron to the LED :)

slowday
ODROIDs: GO Advance

Post by slowday » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:28 am

crashoverride wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:47 am
YesThatGuy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:13 pm
Where/How can I configure this behaviour?

Code: Select all

echo none | sudo tee /sys/bus/platform/drivers/leds-gpio/gpio_leds/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger
I'm new to the Odroid GO Advance. I've added the above code via SSH which turns the blue LED off, however, once I start the device back up, the blue LED is back on. Does anyone know how to execute this code with every startup? Is there a specific startup script I can place the code?

Veuks
languages_spoken: english français

Post by Veuks » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:15 am

fasthagar wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:18 pm

Personally I put a little a small bit of vinyl electrical tape ("chatertone" in french). Very simple and it work very well, no light led anymore ! Same thing on the right of the back of the screen, no stray light at all.
Last edited by Veuks on Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:36 am

slowday wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:28 am
Does anyone know how to execute this code with every startup? Is there a specific startup script I can place the code?
It depends on the image being used. For the reference image, you can place it at the start of the /root/firstboot.sh script.

slowday
ODROIDs: GO Advance

Post by slowday » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:14 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:36 am
slowday wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:28 am
Does anyone know how to execute this code with every startup? Is there a specific startup script I can place the code?
It depends on the image being used. For the reference image, you can place it at the start of the /root/firstboot.sh script.
Thanks crashoverride! That worked like a charm!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:31 pm

You can turn on or off the blue LED by software settings.
But the red LED is hard-wired to the power rail which is not programmable.

The LED brightness is determined by the series resistor value.
LED's V-F voltage is around 1.7 Volt and the series resistor value 12Kohm. The LED current is only 110nA. :o
I=Vs/Rs = (VCC3V0_PMU-VF)/ Rs = (3-1.7)/12000 = 110nA approximately. These type of small LED consumes really super-nano power.
led_sch.png
led_sch.png (59.05 KiB) Viewed 821 times
But the LED characteristic graph doesn't have such value. Their minimum current is 1000nA.
led_brightness_current.png
led_brightness_current.png (39.25 KiB) Viewed 821 times
It means we already lowered the brightness a lot than the lowest value in the specification.
If we increased the resistor value slightly more, the LED didn't turn on.

So we need to make the case less transparent or add a blurry cover on the LEDs probably. :oops:

Etx
languages_spoken: english, chinese, russian, ukrainian
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO Advance

Post by Etx » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:29 am

Oh come on! Just put a drop of a dark nail polish on it and you're done! Permanent marker may be enough as well.

Return to “Issues”