Using an Apple USB Keyboard (incl. hub)

Eliza
languages_spoken: German, English
ODROIDs: Go & Go Advance (familiar with RasPi)
Been thanked: 0

Using an Apple USB Keyboard (incl. hub)

Post by Eliza » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:03 am

Hey,

my OGA has arrived and I wanted to try other things than just gaming ;) If I have understood other users correctly, plugging in a USB keyboard should work out of the box.

Well, here is a Apple USB Keyboard (Aluminum version) that came with my 2009 iMac and I'm now using with my RasPi 3B+. It has a small passive USB hub, but the keyboard doesn't seem to be enumerated by the OGA, not only because there's no response, but even the capslock LED won't turn on.

I haven't yet soldered in the serial port for the console, so no debug output atm … but if anybody already has an idea, I'd be delighted ;)

Regards
E

bmurphr1
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID Go Advance
Has thanked: 0

Re: Using an Apple USB Keyboard (incl. hub)

Post by bmurphr1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:23 am

The power draw is going to have a lot to do with which devices work with the OGA and which ones don't. I have a few keyboards with built in USB hubs that will not work plugged into the OGA, but my wireless Logitech K400 works just fine when I plug the dongle into the USB port and power on the wireless keyboard. I couldn't begin to make a guess as to how much power you can actually draw from the USB port but I'm betting that drawing the full 500mA is probably not a good idea in the first place. My best guess is devices that only use 200-300mA so that it doesn't suck down all of the juice in the 2500mAh internal battery.

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:10 am

I'm using an old sun keyboard that has 3 usb ports and it works, but when plugging something into the hub, it causes usb resets... So best use a powered hub.

Eliza
languages_spoken: German, English
ODROIDs: Go & Go Advance (familiar with RasPi)
Been thanked: 0

Post by Eliza » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:47 pm

Thanks for writing down your experiences. Well, I hoped to get away with that cheap hub trick ;)

They keyboard nameplate says: Max. 1A. So I guess it tries to register for 1A current draw and the OGA just says "no".

Return to “Issues”