Continual Problems with Emuelec on OGA

cjordan1983
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance BE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Continual Problems with Emuelec on OGA

Post by cjordan1983 »

I've been having on-going issues with getting Emuelec to work. It seems very flaky and now, it just sits on the Emuelec boot screen indefinitely and never loads. Earlier today it booted in just fine, and I was able to boot into retroArch but now it just sits at the boot screen. Per Odroid's recommended use of Paragon for data management/loading roms, that's been my go to, but it seems to be garbage. What's my alternative to get my games on my odroid? I don't want to have to rely on Paragon if it's just going to keep corrupting my system, but I don't know what other options I have, and I definitely have no idea how to fix this frozen Emuelec boot screen issue either.
FYI, I'm using Emuelec 3.6 because I could not get 3.7 or 3.8 to work. Please help, thanks.

cjordan1983

Re: Continual Problems with Emuelec on OGA

Post by cjordan1983 »

Did I not specify something correctly, or include enough information? I can't be the only one with this problem, and I'm confident there's a lot of people using something other than Paragon to transfer their roms.

psk
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Post by psk »

you have a couple of options:

1. transfer roms using a usb drive, just follow the wiki

https://github.com/EmuELEC/EmuELEC/wiki ... to-EmuELEC

2. using a wifi dongle and programs like FileZilla or

3. install a virtual machine with any linux distros

regarding being unable to use other versions of emuelec, don't know what to say, try to format the sd card and reflash the image, or try to use a new sd card, Paragorn is known to cause issues.

I used to use Paragorn in the beginning and it caused multiple problems, then just added a usb wifi dongle and i have no more problems. I'm using v3.9 without any problems.

Josh86

Post by Josh86 »

2. using a wifi dongle and programs like FileZilla or
To add to this, if you are on Windows, using SMB/Samba is by far the most straightforward method if you are just looking to add roms/files.
Simply enter the local ip address of the device into the file explorer address bar:

\\192.168.xxx.xxx
or
\\10.0.xxx.xxx

Whatever your local address range is on your wifi. I've found I kind of like using WinSCP otherwise, though FileZilla works just as well.

cjordan1983

Post by cjordan1983 »

I really appreciate those responses! I'm still having another issue though. First, I tried Josh's recommendation of SMB transfer and it worked perfectly! However, transferring PSX, Dreamcast, and PSP games is not going to be the best option over wi-fi. Even with strong internet, a 585mb file is close to a 35 minute wait to transfer so I can't stick with that method for larger files. I would much prefer to use my USB drive. I made certain to verify case-sensitive characters, no file extensions, and it's properly named, and put into the 'roms' folder, but I'm still getting the following error message, (photo attached). I really think a flash drive is going to be much easier, but I just don't understand why it keeps throwing this error. The wiki seems VERY straight forward, but it's not working for me. Thoughts?

Also, I upgraded to Emuelec 3.9 and so far it seems to be running better, so we'll see what the evening brings on that.
Attachments
20201117_174054.jpg
20201117_174054.jpg (264.35 KiB) Viewed 230 times

Josh86

Post by Josh86 »

585mb file is close to a 35 minute wait to transfer
I would investigate that. Either a terribly slow SD card or wifi connection. I have an older 32GB class 4 sandisk microSD card (at least 10 years or more old) and it still hits almost 4MB/sec, which it is rated for. It takes a couple minutes for a transfer that big.

I never tried the USB copy utility yet, but I did now after your post. It worked fine for me. You should:

1.) have a 'roms' folder in the root directory of your usb drive
2.) create the empty file named 'emuelec_copy_roms_from_here' (i created a new text document and just removed the extension while naming...make sure the file type reads just 'file' in explorer)
3.) create a subdirectory in the roms folder the same name as the system and put the rom images there (like 'roms\psp\')

When you run the USB copy script from within emulationstation you'll get a message showing the location of the USB device and a yes/no prompt about ensuring you have enough disk space, same file names overwritten, a no backup warning, etc. When you select yes it will start doing it's thing. Keep in mind there's no kind of progress or active status to tell what's going on other than a couple random characters printed to the next prompt/terminal line. You just have to wait until it's done and you'll know when because it will ask to restart emulation station or not after the transfer completes.

Something you can do to monitor it during the process ,though, is have the network location open in file explorer and watch files update in real time. I would start with a single file first and that might help determine if it was your SD card limiting the write speed. If it transfers quickly, I guess you'll know it was a wifi problem.

cjordan1983

Post by cjordan1983 »

Exactly correct, I already did all of those things exactly as listed, that's what's so frustrating. Attached is a wi-fi connection screenshot from speedtest, and a photo of the micro SD I'm using. As you can also see, speed and space is not a problem, but I would really prefer to use the usb drive in the future for much faster transfers. I may not always been in a place where there's wi-fi. Is there any way to resolve this?
Attachments
20201118_135554.png
20201118_135554.png (130.07 KiB) Viewed 209 times
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 1.51.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 1.51.58 PM.png (208.76 KiB) Viewed 209 times

cjordan1983

Post by cjordan1983 »

I'm still having issues with this, but as far as a positive update, I've discovered that the other flash drive I was using must have been flaky, because I just purchased a new one, and it discovered the script and ran! However, nothing was copied. So at least I've taken one step passed the error message, but it's still not copying anything.
1) Verified that I have the directory in the root of my flash drive called 'roms' and there are in facts snes roms inside of the subdirectory 'snes'.
2) I do have the 'emuelec_copy_roms_from_here' file that I created from a blank text file, and removed the .txt extension leaving it with a filetype of 'File'.
3) My structure is the following:
(Root of USB Drive)
roms (directory)
|
|
|
snes (directory)
emuelec_copy_roms_from_here (blank file no extensions)

The roms are all inside the snes directory just as they were when I originally copied everything over via samba. I removed all of them for the sake of the test.
Here are the screenshots of what I'm at least now seeing:
20201120_170126_1.jpg
20201120_170126_1.jpg (64.38 KiB) Viewed 158 times
20201120_170154_2.jpg
20201120_170154_2.jpg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 158 times
After the copy, I goto 'Game Settings' --> 'Update Game Lists' --> 'Yes' to confirm, it processes, but after verifying in Samba there are still no games in my snes directory.
Thoughts on this?

Josh86

Post by Josh86 »

snes (directory)
emuelec_copy_roms_from_here (blank file no extensions)
I can't tell from your post but the file should be in the roms parent directory; I think the idea is that the script looks for the file there and then copies over that directory along with it's sub-directories. If you had the file in the 'snes' directory, it probably copied everything in there directly to 'roms' without any subdirectories. I would take a quick look to see if your snes roms transferred directly to the 'roms' folder.

Glad you got it working though.

I'm still not sure what to think about your network transfer speeds. That kind of speedtest is just going to show you your bandwidth and latency to a location outside your own home network. You may have wifi signal issues to your OGA within your LAN. I would take your OGA and set in right near your router somewhere. Try transferring to the OGA from a computer that's either hard wired or you know has a good signal to your router. Do you own your own router or is it Comcast's?

Here's what my file tree looked like when I tried it the first time (worked fine).

cjordan1983

Post by cjordan1983 »

I can't tell from your post but the file should be in the roms parent directory;
Yes, correct. It already is. As far as the formatting of my post I had actually indented the paths in an attempt to show the structure of where everything was, but when it posted, it pulled everything back. At any rate, it is exactly as your screenshot. There's never been anything complicated about the instructions from the wiki, or from the helpful replies that all of you have given me. Again, this is what is so frustrating about the situation. I'm doing it exactly as explained, but it does not work. The instructions could not be more straight forward or simplistic, so I'm guessing it's something else, but I've mirrored everything that has been mentioned.

It's clearly not going to work, but Samba does, so I shall just do that and accept the things I cannot change, thanks!

Return to “Issues”