Mystery metal plate under the plastic grill at the back.

SarahC
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Go
Has thanked: 0

Mystery metal plate under the plastic grill at the back.

Post by SarahC » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:50 am

I bought a pre-made Go, and havde been trying to get it charged tonight.

It was then I discovered there's a metal plate and following the wires through the clear plastic, sits between the power supply and the battery.
It's not part of the build instructions anywhere online, and looks to be like a hardware bodge from an alpha design of the board?
It glows blue until it's charged, then glows red.

That's additional to the power/alive/charge LED's between the USB port and the power jack!

Also - I tried charging the device when the Go's off - but it doesn't change. I have to boot it up, and then tap the power button to go into standby for it to charge!
I'm using RetroArch 2.3 - but I can't imagine that mattering when it's off.... I'm guessing it never charges without being on?

One last thing - the "standby" mode when the screen's off but the power's still on (by tapping the power button once)... how much power does it use? Can I leave it off for days without the battery running down?

Thank you lots!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Mystery metal plate under the plastic grill at the back.

Post by odroid » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:05 pm

Show us a picture of the mystery metal plate.

Even the charging LED is not on in the power off mode, the battery charging circuit should work.
Just keep charging a few hours.

Standby(sleep) mode power consumption is 0.5~0.7% per hour.
If your battery is fully charged, the sleep mode can continue 4~5 days.

SarahC

Post by SarahC » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:03 pm

Thanks for getting back to me!

Here it is:

The metal plate has wires between the battery and the circuit board. It's got a blue and red LED on it as well.
The copper colored thing is my 3D printed micro SD card protector / wedge.

Here's the plate close up - it's got 4 little black pads holding it to the back of the case.

berpdreyfuss

Post by berpdreyfuss » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:19 pm

Could be a wireless charging mod?

SarahC

Post by SarahC » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm

I've placed it against my Qi charger for my phone - and nothing. :(
It came straight from the ODROID online shop - it didn't mention wireless charging at the time too.

I got it from this site here:
https://www.odroid.co.uk/index.php?rout ... id=8811473

Interest - this time it's glowing red when I plug it in the charger, then switches to blue after a moment. It's not charging the battery at all at the moment.
I've re-plugged it back in.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:52 pm

The battery is probably full.

Youll need to take the case apart without breaking it and photograph the mystery board. Or ask the reseller. Hardkernel doesn't sell pre-assembled units.

Etx
languages_spoken: english, chinese, russian, ukrainian
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO Advance

Post by Etx » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:20 am

To be true, i see this topic absolutely pointless. You've bought a console somewhere, assembled by someone.
Since this console is a DIY device with some free space, you can put in absolutely any crap laying near you while assembling. Should you create a separate topic to GUESS what's there every time you find something that shouldn't be there? Hell no. This is not any kind of "super secret pre-release testing board" or anything like that (sorry, your device is not mystery or(and) unique), the only real scenario with how this whole thread can be useful is to open it up and show us what's inside to laugh on that. I'm more than sure that shiny piece of crap there just hiding a fact the guy who assembled it, simply burnt the charging IC by connecting a battery wrong polarity or by breaking some SMD resistor at the PCB while assembling. Since he doesn't want to loose a money because of own fault, he wired external Li-Ion charging PCB there and sold this Frankenstein to you. :( This confirms by a presence of "warranty sticker" at one of the screws. Once you'll open it up to prove he sold you some crap, you're out of "warranty". Bingo! :geek:

We know nothing about the price you've paid for such "asembly by pro's". If it was something like "special half price deal offer on ref. unit", it's okay. If he charged you 2x+ price console cost for such assembly and described it as new, the forum where you bought it should definitely know that hero to avoid buying anything from him. And you should open a refund dispute since it's refurbished unit, not as decribed. Hope you've paid using PayPal for it - they will definitely stand on customer's side. If so, make a photo showing his sticker is untouched proving it's not your intrusion and then open it to show the truth and get your refund.
Last edited by Etx on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

rooted

Post by rooted » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:48 am

There is no point in being like that, the person is just trying to use the device they purchased. Not everyone is handy with assembly and the Odroid Go Advance is predominantly a gaming device, some just want to use it as such. You can't make the argument they should have just purchased something else that is by design preassembled since the OGA is a more powerful device and plays more games smoother than the competition.

I do agree they should seek a refund, whatever that modification is it doesn't belong there.

*edit*
That site is ripping people off and should not be allowed to be an official reseller. They are charging $169.46 (USD) for this assembled device and $101 not assembled, I'm sure that doesn't even include shipping!

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:01 pm

For that price I hope they're sandwitching two motherboards inside for double the speed...

fishd
ODROIDs: Go Advance
Been thanked: 0

Post by fishd » Thu May 21, 2020 8:01 pm

When looking at UK prices... you need to bear in mind that most UK sales attract a sales tax called VAT (Value Added Tax) which is 20% ... this goes straight to the government, not the vendor.

They do actually show the pre-tax prices on their website, for more accurate comparison. Given importing these devices from Korea would attract import duty as well as VAT... I thought Odroid.co.uk pricing was ok, and it's where I bought my unit from.

To OP, not sure what the extra part is... perhaps mail the vendor and ask them?

Return to “Issues”