Run from TTY or disable emulator launch

Talking about OS and emulation core development
waymore
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO Super Dim Gray

Run from TTY or disable emulator launch

Post by waymore »

Hi,

I want to use my odroid go super as a mini computer, with keyboard and laptop. Unfortunately when I start the ubuntu image provided, it starts with the emulation full screen. Plugin in a keyboard and mouse, I try ctrl-alt-F2 to F6, but it doesn't switch to a TTY.

How can I close/stop the emulation? Remove all of it if possible? I can manage to install a DE if there are some in the repo, but I can't hack if I can't get to a console.

Otherwise, is there any arch-based distros to do the same? I saw in the forums an image for Debian. This does pretty much all I want, but I would prefer working from the default provided Ubuntu image if possible. And if not, then something arch based.

Thank you in advance if anyone can help me figure this out.

waymore

Re: Run from TTY or disable emulator launch

Post by waymore »

As much as I love Odroid, or HardKernel, in that they are making nice hardware and the boards are nice, as much as their software side is weak.

Why can't there be ArchArm, FreeBSD aarch64, and so on on most boards? Even let's remove the proprietary gpu driver, which isn't in their control, we should have TTY distros for most libre OSes out there. I own 3 Odroid devices, and 1-2 dozen of their products I purchased like cases, UART cables, emmc usb-3 dongles, and so on. But nothing except the N2+ sees much use, because that one has an ARCH image, although the kernel is pegged. And no FreeBSD, even though the GOS has a rockchip, which is on the roadmap. On the N2+ I understand lack of FreeBSD support.

It seems like Odroid has 1 hardware genius drawing the boards, and software wise, nothing.

Sorry if I'm depressed. It seems I can't use this great hardware because software has no experts.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Seems like something x86 based may be a better solution to run the OS of your choice, I don't see FreeBSD being supported unless a third party/s makes it happen.

What modern SBCs does it support?

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Post by crashoverride »

waymore wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:58 am
How can I close/stop the emulation? Remove all of it if possible? I can manage to install a DE if there are some in the repo, but I can't hack if I can't get to a console.
viewtopic.php?f=193&t=42196

A debian image is also available:
viewtopic.php?p=277774#p277774

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1, H3+, SP3, Vu8M

Post by mctom »

I installed Arch on XU4 some time ago, there are actually many options if you're willing to look for them yourself.

For what you're about to do, I'd check if OGS has a debug UART interface, or perhaps try SSHing to it somehow?
Ah, no need to check, there is a debug interface: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go_advan ... ug_console

About the rest of what you said, if you want BSD working on OGS, you're welcome to port it for the benefit of the community.
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

waymore

Post by waymore »

rooted wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:31 pm
Seems like something x86 based may be a better solution to run the OS of your choice, I don't see FreeBSD being supported unless a third party/s makes it happen.

What modern SBCs does it support?
The Rockchip RK3188 is Tier 1 support for FreeBSD. List of boards is available here: https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/arm/

I have the UART cables and everything, just need more details to get started. Like how do I hook it up, then what commands can I send to the UART, how to boot basically. I once got the UART to communicate from the N2+, but while I could see what was going on the board, I couldn't send commands or SSH into it. I have no idea what I'm doing really.

I have the motivation, time and the equipment, and I'll read all the links provided. But I could use some notes/scripts/details if anyone can think of anything. Like how to control the board with the UART cable to issue boot commands and manipulated the bios/uboot.

Thank you.

rooted

Post by rooted »

waymore wrote: The Rockchip RK3188 is Tier 1 support for FreeBSD. List of boards is available here: https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/arm/

Like how to control the board with the UART cable to issue boot commands and manipulated the bios/uboot.
That's good, should make things easier for you to get it going.

Using UART is much like using a terminal, the wiki has general instructions.

https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/devel ... b_uart_kit

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

waymore wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:23 am
I have the UART cables and everything, just need more details to get started. Like how do I hook it up
More information can be found here:
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go_advan ... _for_uart2
waymore wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:23 am
what commands can I send to the UART
It depends on the image being used. With the Reference Image, a regular linux console (bash) is available.

A console (bash) is also available using SSH though an ethernet or wifi adapter.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go_advan ... ct_network

waymore

Post by waymore »

Ok, I'll check all your links when I have time.

Actually, I figured out how to hack the default image to give me TTY. I had like 6 energy drinks today and I've been postponing doing some homework, so I've been unusually productive.

#1 The default image won't mount by default value, it's needed to pass an offset value. In this case, value offset=134217728 worked for me. It's 512* some value something spit out.

#2 Can't find the boot.ini or any info on the window manager or any config for that. Plymouth maybe but I didn't investigate

#3 Couldn't chroot into the thing, probably because my native is x86_64. Idea of running some qemu emulation (without kvm obviously) for aarch64 hardware to see if that could chroot. Will explore if desperate

#4 Wanked some cables out, and it works. Really. Yanked out the emulation station service, just deleted the file. Then went in /usr/emulationStation and deleted that file.

#5 for good measures, I accidentally stumbled on a config file (forgot which one) that specified kernel.sysrq=0 , so I switched that to 1 to get REISUB in case I had to kill everything.

Booted up to a blinking dot on left top corner. Ctrl-alt-f2 gave me TTY2. My orginal goal is complete.

I'll provide the image to anyone that wants it. Magnet link: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:d849cd5e7c2403519dee5114ee8b8ae848c5358d&dn=ubuntu-18.04-4.4-Br0kenByWaym0re.img.tar.zst
These users thanked the author waymore for the post:
mctom (Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:44 pm)

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1, H3+, SP3, Vu8M

Post by mctom »

I'd just install SSH server on it and work from my desktop machine from this point.
As the others have said, you'd get pretty much the same experience via the UART cable, but what you've done clearly worked as well.
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

waymore

Post by waymore »

mctom wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:47 pm
I'd just install SSH server on it and work from my desktop machine from this point.
As the others have said, you'd get pretty much the same experience via the UART cable, but what you've done clearly worked as well.
It's a start. I'm trying to bypass the kernel. Why does odroid want to stick to 4.4 so badly? Bifrost is out, right? So a new generic kernel should offer GPU accel off a mali-G31 out of the box.

I got a few important homework I have to finish this week, but between I'll try to make something work.

So far got the thing working through SSH, but screen just shows a loading "Ubuntu 22.04".

Right now trying to build generic 5.19.13, well, because it's the freshest, released this morning. 6.0 is a RC, not final. If this works, I'll make in nice and shiny and distribute it.

Hey Odroid, can't you maintain something slightly up to date? Ubuntu 18.04 has an end-of-life that's 6 months from now...

Nothing is ever updated software wise. You could just automate builds, or share your build scripts, then we could do out ourselves. Do you have any playbooks or notes on how you compiled your releases?

Me blindly hacking and gluing things together doesn't make sense.

crashoverride

Post by crashoverride »

waymore wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:40 am
Why does odroid want to stick to 4.4 so badly?
It is the only kernel version where everything works (like VPU).
waymore wrote:
Ubuntu 18.04 has an end-of-life that's 6 months from now...
Changes in Ubuntu versions also mean a change in GCC. When dealing with emulators, the GCC version is very important. A later version of Ubuntu was tested but many emulators failed due to changes in GCC so it was rolled back to 18.04.
waymore wrote:
Nothing is ever updated software wise. You could just automate builds, or share your build scripts, then we could do out ourselves. Do you have any playbooks or notes on how you compiled your releases?
Each update requires an extensive testing cycle. The image is build like any other Ubuntu image: its bascially 'debootstrap'.
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bi ... rap.8.html
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post:
waymore (Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:31 am)

Return to “Platform development”