Anybody working on Android for the Odroid-Go A?

Talking about OS and emulation core development
notime2d8
languages_spoken: english

Re: Anybody working on Android for the Odroid-Go A?

Post by notime2d8 »

macromorgan wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:01 am
I nuked everything from orbit and started over. Not sure what I did... but...

Now I just have to get everything else working that isn’t the GPU. I’ll post the changes to GitHub tomorrow. It’s a virgin AOSP 11.0.0r8 distro with upstream Mesa 20.2.1 (with a few tiny alterations to the makefiles), drm_hwcomposer, gbm_gralloc, and libdrm. I didn’t even have to modify the color space of hwcomposer, it just worked. I also added one additional patch to the kernel for Panfrost, and went back to the hardkernel uboot (because upstream was causing some ATF crashes of some kind).

Awesome, this is big!!! We should be future proof now. How well does it run? Did you have to patch the kernel for drm permissions? And is it working on Gles 2.0 or 3.0?

Edit: Is the built in wifi working for you with that kernel?
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

macromorgan
ODROIDs: Odroid-GO

Post by macromorgan »

The GPU seems to work okay, I’m going to try and find a benchmark tool but I assume it’ll run slower than the Mali drivers. It’s GLES 2.0 only at this point; Panfrost can do limited GLES 3 but Bifrost chips currently only do 2.0. The Wifi adapter “works”, but there is a problem with the wpa supplicant (I’m trying to use the 1.3 API for WPA3). The list of what works (GPU) at this point is a lot longer than what doesn’t (Wifi HALs, suspend, keys, sound HALs).

At the end of the day I honestly don’t know what made it work. I accidentally nuked and rebuilt my tree, but aside from that the only other thing I did new was include the 5.9 kernel headers. Maybe that did it?

I need to remove the pointless comments and profanity from my local branch and then I’ll push it tomorrow. I’ll post my local manifest (modified 4 external projects) in a new branch too, and then just leave a read me on any manual patches I did (at this point I only touched 3 makefiles for mesa3d).

macromorgan

Post by macromorgan »

Okay, commits pushed as promised.

https://github.com/macromorgan/device_h ... _odroidgo2 (device definitions, complete with binary kernel image)
https://github.com/macromorgan/odroid_g ... ux_android (kernel source, in case you want to modify)
https://github.com/macromorgan/odroido2_local_manifest (local manifest file, includes readme with pertinent instructions)

edit: Just tried to benchmark it with Passmark simple test and Unity 3d benchmark. Got about 3FPS before the Panfrost kernel driver crashed. Looks like it's going to be a long road ahead...
This thing is as stable as an upside-down pyramid; thus far it seems vendor.hwc.drm.use_overlay_planes=0 at least allowed it to complete the Passmark Unity benchmark without crashing (got 1.8FPS).
These users thanked the author macromorgan for the post:
Tagruato_Corporation (Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:07 pm)

macromorgan

Post by macromorgan »

Where is your latest 4.19 kernel notime2d8? I have a theory that if we replace the panel init functions with the ones that come from hardkernel (basically using simple-panel instead of the elpida driver) and add the following lines to the very beginning of the boot.ini it should work more consistently:
regulator dev vcc_backlight
regulator disable
regulator dev vcc_lcd
regulator disable
notime2d8 (Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:12 pm)

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

macromorgan wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:12 am
Where is your latest 4.19 kernel notime2d8? I have a theory that if we replace the panel init functions with the ones that come from hardkernel (basically using simple-panel instead of the elpida driver) and add the following lines to the very beginning of the boot.ini it should work more consistently:
regulator disable
regulator dev vcc_lcd
regulator disable
Here's my current kernel source I'm working with and two prebuilt kernels. I did switch to using the simple-panel display driver...to limit patches. But it did improve the times the panel started correctly. still not perfect like 1/3 I tried some of the different delay timings from other rk3326 devices too. The timings used seem generic and not OdroidGO2 specific. But I didn't know you could place those commands in the boot.ini i will try later.

Kernel source:
https://github.com/notime2d8/kernel

Kernel and DTB with recovery built in. Need to remove or add "skip_initramfs" in boot.ini
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ln_fzv ... sp=sharing

Kernel and DTB
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xIIRon ... sp=sharing
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

macromorgan wrote:
regulator disable
regulator dev vcc_lcd
regulator disable
I don't want to jinx it, I've thought it's been fixed before, but i think this did it. I did 5 boots and hard resets, 3 resets through android, a suspend crash and hard reboot. It worked every time. The only issues I have now is that shutdown and suspend are broken. I need to look through the commits to see what broke them in the latest Rockchip sources.
These users thanked the author notime2d8 for the post:
macromorgan (Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:47 am)

macromorgan

Post by macromorgan »

notime2d8 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:22 pm
macromorgan wrote:
regulator disable
regulator dev vcc_lcd
regulator disable
I don't want to jinx it, I've thought it's been fixed before, but i think this did it. I did 5 boots and hard resets, 3 resets through android, a suspend crash and hard reboot. It worked every time. The only issues I have now is that shutdown and suspend are broken. I need to look through the commits to see what broke them in the latest Rockchip sources.
Glad to hear it. Curiously enough it's only working about 90% of the time for me on 5.9.

I'm still working on the upstream kernel trying to get the Wifi working. I'm back on Debian for now making sure everything works before I pick up Android again, but pretty much abandoning my Linux specific kernel in favor of just the Android one. I'll be moving to 5.10 soon as well, as I always planned on only supporting an LTS kernel (and assumed that it would be 5.9 but yesterday GKH announced it would be 5.10). Only masochists run non-LTS in production...

Also I never figured out why upstream U-boot was causing a kernel panic, but I think it has something to do with the ARM trusted firmware. Debian, Android, 4.19, 5.9, none of it made any difference as upstream U-Boot always seemed to cause the panic.

Tagruato_Corporation
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance Black Edition

Post by Tagruato_Corporation »

macromorgan or notime2d8, do either of you plan on putting an image together for this with your latest updates? Or is there too much more work to be done still?

The work you are doing is insane, and I check this thread multiple times daily hoping there's a new release :)

macromorgan

Post by macromorgan »

Too much work currently still to be done. Literally the only thing working on my upstream version is the GPU. No wifi, no buttons, no suspend, etc. I'm working on the wifi portion now, then I'll refocus on the sound and keys. I'm also working on the 5.10 kernel, but so far there appear to be a lot of bugs (on account of rc1 status I assume that would be why). The panel won't init at all, it looks like it probes several time and I assume gets confused. I also still see the nasty crashes on shutdown while running on the completely mainline kernel with no modifications.

My honest hope is that if I can get a simple baseline image with the kernel more or less stable on an LTS release that's very close to stock and GPU, wifi, sound, suspend and buttons working the community as a whole can fork the work to their hearts content while I stick with messing with the kernel. Maybe I can hand it off to the glodroid project? Also I'd love upstream uBoot too, but that might also be a big issue to overcome (still thing ATF is the problem, but not sure).

When someone asks "why Android", my hope is that one day in addition to things like RetroArch these devices can also run stuff like Among Us, Stardew Valley, or other relatively modest Android games.
Tagruato_Corporation (Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:11 pm)

zztfoxdev
ODROIDs: Odroid Go

Post by zztfoxdev »

Wow, you guys have been hard at work on all this amazing stuff!

I have not had a chance to test much more since I was on last, but been playing around with xCloud on Lineage on Pi 4.

There are a couple of things there I have learned that I cannot wait to apply to this once the new version is up and running (no rush :) )

Unfortunately that does not include xCloud due to 2gb of ram required at least.
These users thanked the author zztfoxdev for the post:

macromorgan

Post by macromorgan »

Okay, so whatever the wifi issues are with the 5.9 kernel branch it's definitely Android specific... I'm able to connect in Debian Bullseye just fine. Also it appears once we get 5.10 working there's an in-tree driver now for generic ADC joysticks, meaning we should be able to use an in-tree driver for all the controls.

As for the wifi, it looks like after some minor debugging the card is scanning just fine, and I'm able to get detailed information from iw. However, when I attempt to initiate a new connection it fails; "iw event -f" doesn't show anything regarding the wifi connection attempt; and logcat gives me a bunch of "HalDevMgr: getAllChipInfo: called but mWifi is null!?"

edit: Near as I can tell the issue with the 5.10 kernel was due to this commit: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... b58399b8a5
I'm checking on what can be done about it (simple rollback works if nothing else).

macromorgan

Post by macromorgan »

My 5.10 kernel is posted now on Github. Tested (very very briefly) on Android 11 AOSP as well as (very extensively) on Debian Bullseye and it seems to work still. Also going to 5.10 also appears to have fixed the crash at reboot bug. Compared to the 5.9 kernel I also added the battery driver, the joystick driver, and attached the upstream crypto hardware driver. To my knowledge the only hardware that isn't really working still is the hardware encoder; fortunately as best I can tell it's identical to the rk3399 which is upstream with a "quirk". Assuming I can figure out how to add the quirk it should be able to get the hardware decoder/encoder working. Aside from the video codec I think this is more or less what I'm going to roll with, and since 5.10 is LTS I'm going to stick with it for a while. On to now figure out the wifi, audio and sleep problems with Android.

https://github.com/macromorgan/odroid_g ... ux_android

Works:
Panfrost (upstream driver)
Joystick (hardkernel driver, could theoretically switch to upstream driver)
Crypto (upstream driver)
Wifi (out of tree driver)
Audio (rockchip driver)
RGA (upstream driver)
battery/charger (rockchip driver, could [with much effort] switch to a simple upstream driver)

Not working:
hw video codec (will attempt to use upstream)

Also note that I'm going to delete my gits for the non Android kernel. No point in maintaining multiple ones since it's more or less the same. Lastly, Bifrost chips aren't yet supported on X11 (a Mesa shortcoming); if you want to test Bifrost use Wayland or Android.

edit: just added support for Hantro. Looks like the iommu fixes are only needed to support H265 on the PX30, since the upstream codec doesn't support that anyway I just added it to the devicetree. No dmesg errors and it creates a /dev/video1 and /dev/video2 device (video0 is the upstreamed RGA). So assuming that actually works it means 5.10 should support EVERYTHING hardware wise now. Suspend is mostly working now too with 2 exceptions... the dwc2 driver doesn't like it (won't re-init the USB devices after wake from suspend) and the esp8089 crashes on resume. I assume in the case of the esp8089 it's because it doesn't like being compiled into the kernel and needs to be unloaded before suspend/reloaded after suspend. I'll see if I can figure out the USB problem after suspend, then it's basically just bugfix and maintenance mode at this point.
Last edited by macromorgan on Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author macromorgan for the post (total 5):
odroid (Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:11 am) • Tagruato_Corporation (Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:38 pm) • valadaa48 (Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:10 am) • sjuut (Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:23 am) • notime2d8 (Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:04 am)

Tagruato_Corporation
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance Black Edition

Post by Tagruato_Corporation »

Awesome news macromorgan!

macromorgan

Post by macromorgan »

Okay last kernel update before I go back to working on Android (and a request from the Android experts on the thread too).

It looks like the dwc2 driver doesn't support power down if I'm reading it right, so when I suspend the device and resume it the USB doesn't work. The DWC2 code, both upstream and rockchip specific, sets the "DWC2_POWER_DOWN_PARAM_NONE" flag. This is remedied by unloading and reloading the dwc2 module, which brings USB back online (but sadly disconnects any devices currently attached... not a major issue if we're not dealing with flash drives, but not something I think I can work around either). Of course it means this must be compiled as a module to make suspend work properly.

The other bit is the esp8089 wifi. Same story, when you suspend it powers down/resets the chip and when it comes back up it needs to fully re-init to load the firmware. Easy if we simply unload and reload the module.

So long story short suspend works fine if you unload dwc2 and esp8089 modules prior to suspend and reload them after wakeup. There are scripts/rules where you can do this in Linux, but I have no idea how to do it in Android and was wondering if someone knew. Thanks.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

macromorgan wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:06 am
Okay last kernel update before I go back to working on Android (and a request from the Android experts on the thread too).

It looks like the dwc2 driver doesn't support power down if I'm reading it right, so when I suspend the device and resume it the USB doesn't work. The DWC2 code, both upstream and rockchip specific, sets the "DWC2_POWER_DOWN_PARAM_NONE" flag. This is remedied by unloading and reloading the dwc2 module, which brings USB back online (but sadly disconnects any devices currently attached... not a major issue if we're not dealing with flash drives, but not something I think I can work around either). Of course it means this must be compiled as a module to make suspend work properly.

The other bit is the esp8089 wifi. Same story, when you suspend it powers down/resets the chip and when it comes back up it needs to fully re-init to load the firmware. Easy if we simply unload and reload the module.

So long story short suspend works fine if you unload dwc2 and esp8089 modules prior to suspend and reload them after wakeup. There are scripts/rules where you can do this in Linux, but I have no idea how to do it in Android and was wondering if someone knew. Thanks.
Hey, I found the android-x86 project is using the power module to do what we want but i couldn't get it to build for Android 11, going to try it on 10 later. Also built in WiFi stopped working for Android 11 as well. I don't know which commit did it, my USB WiFi modules still work. I may disable suspend and enable lower clock speeds. I've gotten the kernel to idle at 96-216mhz without crashing. Also Rockchip removed the kernel I was using so I may try to switch to mainline again.

https://osdn.net/projects/android-x86/s ... 0456a5d752

I also got hardware encoding/decoding working...seemed like a worthless endeavor as videos looked and played the same :D going to test encoding later with a CPU meter.

macromorgan

Post by macromorgan »

notime2d8 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:41 am
macromorgan wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:06 am

Hey, I found the android-x86 project is using the power module to do what we want but i couldn't get it to build for Android 11, going to try it on 10 later. Also built in WiFi stopped working for Android 11 as well. I don't know which commit did it, my USB WiFi modules still work. I may disable suspend and enable lower clock speeds. I've gotten the kernel to idle at 96-216mhz without crashing. Also Rockchip removed the kernel I was using so I may try to switch to mainline again.

https://osdn.net/projects/android-x86/s ... 0456a5d752

I also got hardware encoding/decoding working...seemed like a worthless endeavor as videos looked and played the same :D going to test encoding later with a CPU meter.
Cool. As for me I have no idea what I did but I’m back to no video and can’t make it work again. Sucks. I know it CAN work though, so that’s something at least.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

So zoom works. I didn't get a chance to test with a webcam though. Audio only and receiving video. I didn't have any lag but I was not using the built in wifi. Only tried for fun just because I was testing something else.
IMG_20201120_190146.jpg
IMG_20201120_190146.jpg (479.23 KiB) Viewed 748 times

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

That's great! Now kids can buy them as school supplies :D
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
notime2d8 (Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:35 am)

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Here's a link to the build I'm using now. I did manage to make a script that builds an etcher flash-able image for me. Still need to figure out a resizing script.

Android 10 - Lineage 17.1

Mouse mode - F6 key enable/disables it, R1 is used as the mouse click, d-pad controls the mouse. No scrolling function.

Kernel 4.19.154
- suspend /resume disabled - crashes on latest kernel sync, breaks built in WiFi, and USB
- 96mhz, 216mhz, 1416mhz, and 1512mhz CPU speeds disabled. Screen recording crashes at 216mhz, some devices won't boot overclocked.
- Should have no screen initializing issues thanks to a patch from @macromorgan

Bug - kernel crashes on power off from menu.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Wy4nC ... sp=sharing -this is a 7.5gb image
These users thanked the author notime2d8 for the post (total 2):
macromorgan (Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:16 am) • Tagruato_Corporation (Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 pm)

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

So android 11, I wanted to post that but it has some issues. It breaks mouse mode, built in WiFi, and external storage. All the emulators I use couldn't access external storage due to the new storage model Android is using. To play games I had to transfer games to the SD then in Android move it to emulated "internal storage".

That being said, if i can ever get the new Rockchip Android 11 SDK or the newer GPU drivers they are making I'll move over even with the above issues. Android 11 does seem to work better, stock launcher doesn't crash, icons/menus scale better than in 10, and uses less ram somehow.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Ah, I really wish this worked better. I'm using Mario Kart on dolphin for gamecube to test tweaks and ram usage. But 10.73fps seems to be the max in any game for a a35 mali-g31 combo. The menus run at 40+ fps though 😑. Zelda runs at 30fps up until the actual game rendering starts. Looks amazing on the screen though. I wish dolphin allowed disabling sound and down scaling. I hope we get a Rk3566 upgrade at some point. Just shocked it runs without crashing and rumble works on a 360 controller. I remember when the gamecube came out. 🧐

Oh, I did get it to crash consistently using a class 4 SD card...Android ran slower too with longer loading times.

I also never got any out of memory errors which I was expecting. I don't know what a ram increase would help.

Also didn't get any high temps...

Also, I think I got all of the battery functions working perfectly. Estimated time is close, charging works, and you get the usual pop-up from android when you reach 15%.

IMG_20201122_153028__01.jpg
IMG_20201122_153028__01.jpg (320.46 KiB) Viewed 661 times
IMG_20201122_153053.jpg
IMG_20201122_153053.jpg (461.93 KiB) Viewed 661 times
IMG_20201122_164047.jpg
IMG_20201122_164047.jpg (173.27 KiB) Viewed 660 times
IMG_20201122_165854.jpg
IMG_20201122_165854.jpg (439.69 KiB) Viewed 658 times
These users thanked the author notime2d8 for the post (total 2):
odroid (Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:20 am) • shanti (Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:07 am)

macromorgan

Post by macromorgan »

notime2d8 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:37 am
Ah, I really wish this worked better. I'm using Mario Kart on dolphin for gamecube to test tweaks and ram usage. But 10.73fps seems to be the max in any game for a a35 mali-g31 combo. The menus run at 40+ fps though 😑. Zelda runs at 30fps up until the actual game rendering starts. Looks amazing on the screen though. I wish dolphin allowed disabling sound and down scaling. I hope we get a Rk3566 upgrade at some point. Just shocked it runs without crashing and rumble works on a 360 controller. I remember when the gamecube came out. 🧐

Oh, I did get it to crash consistently using a class 4 SD card...Android ran slower too with longer loading times.

I also never got any out of memory errors which I was expecting. I don't know what a ram increase would help.

Also didn't get any high temps...

Also, I think I got all of the battery functions working perfectly. Estimated time is close, charging works, and you get the usual pop-up from android when you reach 15%.
Amazing work man, congrats.

MrTrynex
ODROIDs: OGA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MrTrynex »

I used your image on my 32 gb sd card but Im getting no DTB error. Any idea? i have empty folder /dev and as I can see by the code in boot.ini "setenv bootrootfs "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2.." there should be folder mmcblk0p2

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

MrTrynex wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:08 pm
I used your image on my 32 gb sd card but Im getting no DTB error. Any idea? i have empty folder /dev and as I can see by the code in boot.ini "setenv bootrootfs "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2.." there should be folder mmcblk0p2
Do you see your boot partition? Are there other files in the partition where you see the boot.ini? And you'd only see the other partitions if using a Linux OS as they are ext4 and f2fs filesystems.

If you are on a Linux OS do you see a root and vendor partition? And how did you flash it?

MrTrynex

Post by MrTrynex »

Yes Im using linux. I used Disk Image Writer. I see userdata, vendor, / and boot. In boot i have boot.ini, Image, rk3326-odroid-go2 and rk3326-odroid-go2-v11.dtb. BOOT - FAT 32, / - Ext4, vendor - Ext4, userdata - f2fs 1.11 unknow

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

MrTrynex wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:16 pm
Yes Im using linux. I used Disk Image Writer. I see userdata, vendor, / and boot. In boot i have boot.ini, Image, rk3326-odroid-go2 and rk3326-odroid-go2-v11.dtb. BOOT - FAT 32, / - Ext4, vendor - Ext4, userdata - f2fs 1.11 unknow
Hmm. That's weird I need to test it with some different memory cards. I did test with 4 that I have, they all worked. But all the files seem to be there for you. I'm not sure why you're getting that error.

I'll upload the files for you to add manually later. In the meantime could you try using etcher to try flashing it again?

Desani
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go, Odroid-Go-Advance

Post by Desani »

notime2d8 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:46 pm
MrTrynex wrote:
Hmm. That's weird I need to test it with some different memory cards. I did test with 4 that I have, they all worked. But all the files seem to be there for you. I'm not sure why you're getting that error.

I'll upload the files for you to add manually later. In the meantime could you try using etcher to try flashing it again?
I used balenaEtcher on Windows 10 to flash the image to a 16gb sd card and received the same no DTB error when trying to boot the Odroid-Go Advanced v1.0. I thought it might be too small a card to test with so I was going to look for a 32gb card.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Desani wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:29 am
notime2d8 wrote:
MrTrynex wrote:

I used balenaEtcher on Windows 10 to flash the image to a 16gb sd card and received the same no DTB error when trying to boot the Odroid-Go Advanced v1.0. I thought it might be too small a card to test with so I was going to look for a 32gb card.
Okay, then it's my image, sorry. I probably need to add padding to the beginning and end. it should work fine with the 16gb.

Could you two try replacing the files in the boot folder with the ones here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

MrTrynex

Post by MrTrynex »

notime2d8 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:35 am
Desani wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:29 am
notime2d8 wrote:
MrTrynex wrote:

Okay, then it's my image, sorry. I probably need to add padding to the beginning and end. it should work fine with the 16gb.

Could you two try replacing the files in the boot folder with the ones here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
I just tried it but didnt help. By the size of files it seems those are the same as the once that were already there.

Desani

Post by Desani »

MrTrynex wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:20 am
I just tried it but didnt help. By the size of files it seems those are the same as the once that were already there.
Second. Replaced the files and same issue. The error occurs almost immediately after powering on the unit.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Are both of you using original OGA's? I think it's u-boot messing us up. Later OGA-BE received the U-boot patches that removed the hardcoded file names.

Can you edit the boot.ini:

From this:

Code: Select all

if test ${hwrev} = 'v11'; then
load mmc 1:1 ${fdt_addr_r} rk3326-odroid-go2-v11.dtb
else
load mmc 1:1 ${fdt_addr_r} rk3326-odroid-go2.dtb
fi
To this:

load mmc 1:1 ${fdt_addr_r} rk3326-odroidgo2-linux.dtb

Also rename the file rk3326-odroid-go2.dtb to rk3326-odroidgo2-linux.dtb

Desani

Post by Desani »

notime2d8 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:57 am
Are both of you using original OGA's? I think it's u-boot messing us up. Later OGA-BE received the U-boot patches that removed the hardcoded file names.

From this:

else
fi
To this:

That looks like it did the trick. It booted up and now I am at the Setup screen. Should I be looking at patching U-boot for my odroid to the newest version?
These users thanked the author Desani for the post:
notime2d8 (Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:43 am)

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Desani wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:42 am
notime2d8 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:57 am

From this:

else
fi
To this:

That looks like it did the trick. It booted up and now I am at the Setup screen. Should I be looking at patching U-boot for my odroid to the newest version?
Thanks for replying so quick. And maybe...? I think there were some worthwhile patches made to it but it may not be worth the effort. I'll edit my images going forward to avoid this issue.

This helped me solve the final mystery on why it wouldn't work for so many people. 1. Screen Int issue 2. overclocking 3. U-boot version

MrTrynex

Post by MrTrynex »

Yes it works for me too! Thank you for help and your work.

Edit: all apps are slide up with mouse movement.
Edit2: Is it possible o get gapps ? - I see there is aurora store so thats great :)

MrTrynex

Post by MrTrynex »

Just a tip for anyone: after burning image on sd card, resize the userdata partition or delete it completely and create new f2fs partition with same name with max size your sd card allows. You cant change this after you setup android or you will loose your data.
Also @notime2d8 is there any discord server for better communication? I would like to know where and how you setup key function bindings. For me I would actually use joystick as mouse and want to try it out.

BTW awesome job! Drastic emulator runs smooth with 2x scale no frameskip! PPSSPP performance is same as on emuelec but thats limitation of HW.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

MrTrynex wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:26 pm
Just a tip for anyone: after burning image on sd card, resize the userdata partition or delete it completely and create new f2fs partition with same name with max size your sd card allows. You cant change this after you setup android or you will loose your data.
Also @notime2d8 is there any discord server for better communication? I would like to know where and how you setup key function bindings. For me I would actually use joystick as mouse and want to try it out.

BTW awesome job! Drastic emulator runs smooth with 2x scale no frameskip! PPSSPP performance is same as on emuelec but thats limitation of HW.
Hey, thanks for the feedback. Mouse mode uses actual key bindings like DPAD_UP, DPAD_LEFT mapped to mouse movement....and it's all patch into android's framework. At the moment I haven't figured out how to pull in the joysticks analog x,y input. It should be possible but would take a bit research and tweaking. My original goal was the joystick up until i actually tried it.

Also from your earlier post gapps won't work with microg installed. But when i make a Android 11 image I'll include gapps in that as i haven't added anything to it yet. Both take a bit to add into roms.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Anybody know anything about DSI commands? I found a cool patch here Link

But it changes the DSI commands to put the LCD panel into landscape mode. This would be great for android as surfaceflinger wouldn't need to rotate the image and freeing up a good bit of resources. So I tired it and it kinda works...? But the screen seems to be 320x320 missing 160 pixels on the right? But I did need to disable the 270 degree screen rotation in Android and ram usage was down. I wasn't able to test anything besides that though.

If we can get this working right it should apply to other OS's as well.I don't know the impact screen rotation has on them.
IMG_20201128_000947.jpg
IMG_20201128_000947.jpg (371.67 KiB) Viewed 290 times

MrTrynex

Post by MrTrynex »

Im sorry I dont know how to help with that. But the weirdest thing happened to me yesterday. I was using ftp to transfer files to oga and sudenly android crashed.. From that point lineage starts to load but always crashes (green arc with circles loads for a while and then turns off). Even new clean install. Is there a way to see some debug logs to figure out whats wrong? Other systems like emuelec work which is weird.

Btw are there any battery checks ? Maybe android thinks my battery is drained so it wont start but its not.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

MrTrynex wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Im sorry I dont know how to help with that. But the weirdest thing happened to me yesterday. I was using ftp to transfer files to oga and sudenly android crashed.. From that point lineage starts to load but always crashes (green arc with circles loads for a while and then turns off). Even new clean install. Is there a way to see some debug logs to figure out whats wrong? Other systems like emuelec work which is weird.

Btw are there any battery checks ? Maybe android thinks my battery is drained so it wont start but its not.

That's a first for me. Especially if you're saying it did that even after a clean install. There's no stored data for the battery so it should pull current battery info. Also plugging it in would fix that. But logs are on the serial port, you can also enable logs to be stored on the sd card through developer options or uncomment the option in build prop.

But I haven't been able to get it to crash. Usually it'll be your data partition that gets corrupted....but it does checks and repairs on boot.

MrTrynex

Post by MrTrynex »

Ok so I found out what was the issue. Cable from device to charging board was not soldered very well ( mistake on my part ) and device was getting too low voltage so lineage didnt even start but emuelec was able since it didnt require as much I guess. Btw do you have any release plan for android 11? Just so I know if I should set up everything on the current version or wait :) no pressure.. you are doing gods work man

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

MrTrynex wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:08 pm
Ok so I found out what was the issue. Cable from device to charging board was not soldered very well ( mistake on my part ) and device was getting too low voltage so lineage didnt even start but emuelec was able since it didnt require as much I guess. Btw do you have any release plan for android 11? Just so I know if I should set up everything on the current version or wait :) no pressure.. you are doing gods work man
Yes, I can do 11 soon, it just has a few issues. Like mouse mode doesn't work unless you plug a mouse in first? It works like normal after that. Android switched their storage and most emulators can't access external storage. So you'd have to move roms from external to the internal storage through file manager first before you're able to access them in emulators. Also the odroidgo BE internal wifi is broken...usb works. Other than that I can package it later and post it...I need to settle on one version as both are taking up 220gb each.

Return to “Platform development”