RetroELEC for the Odroid Go Advance (AArch64)

Third party OS images and hardware mods
escalade
languages_spoken: english and norwegian

Re: RetroELEC for the Odroid Go Advance (AArch64)

Post by escalade »

1. http://ix.io/2yj4 (I'll make something easier to read at some point)

2. No standby support at the moment. Sleep modes have always been flaky under Linux, not really that keen on enabling it on this stone age kernel. I know there's been issues with the OGA and sleep/hibernation as well. I think it's not necessary when boot time is about 10 seconds and RetroArch has automatic savestate functionality.

Appreciated :)
Maintainer of RetroELEC (XU4 / OGA / x86_64)

BowserG
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go / Odroid Go Advance (ver. 1 and BE)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BowserG »

Hi all. I really like this Retroelec image, and I am currently using a OGA version 1 with a wifi dongle which works with other images. However, I cannot for the life of me get the wifi configured in Kodi or Retroarch. My wifi networks just don't show up and I can't understand why. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and thanks to all the devs for their hard work!

escalade

Post by escalade »

Which wifi dongle is it? There's only a few enabled in this image. If you can tell me the driver name I can enable it.

mattlovell
ODROIDs: C2, C4

Post by mattlovell »

Hi escalade,
escalade wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:30 am
Updated images uploaded:

- Integrated the Cava visualizer as a screensaver in Emulationstation (replaced the "dim" option with "visualizer" under screensavers) - fully controllable with the OGA gamepad
- Added cava-listener.service - this service will activate Cava when there's audio playing
- Separate AntimicroX profiles for Cava/Weston
Do you have Cava integrated well with Kodi in this distribution? Does Kodi on the Odroid Go use ALSA in a similar manner as it would on an Odroid C2 or C4?

I ask since I'm interested in playing with a 128x64 OLED display using mpd_oled on one of those Odroid boards, and it leveraged from C.A.V.A. for its audio data input mechanism:

https://github.com/antiprism/mpd_oled#readme

Per its name, mpd_oled is mostly focused on the MPD audio distributions -- MoOde, Volumio, and Rune. Volumio is available for the C2 and C4, so I thought it at least provided one route for getting things going.

I'm truly just getting started on this -- I don't even have the display in-hand yet. Everything is very Raspberry Pi focused for these audio distributions, so I don't know how straightforward it will be to
  1. get the display alive and communication working and
  2. get audio data from Kodi (or somewhere along the audio path) to form the spectrum display (while not disturbing the actual playback).
If I stay with Kodi, there would be the additional challenge of getting other audio information, like track title, duration, etc. to mpd_oled. Right now, I believe that portion of the program indeed relies upon MPD integration.

On the Kodi forum, resurrecting an old thread, I asked about exposing AudioData to more than just a Visualization addon:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... id2977505

I've also asked for any pointers or suggestions for such a project on the CoreELEC forum:

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/graphi ... play/12932

but not too much of a response from either place yet. I realize the Odroid Go is likely quite distinct from the C2 and C4, but your distribution combining Kodi with Cava piqued my interest. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!

I also have a character LCD display on order, just to play a little with LCDproc in Kodi. Having some form of spectrum display is really my goal, though.

Thanks,
Matt

BowserG

Post by BowserG »

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:16 am
Which wifi dongle is it? There's only a few enabled in this image. If you can tell me the driver name I can enable it.
Hi and thank you. The brand name is the EDUP and it is supposed to be the same as the ODROID model 5 wifi model. The listing on Amazon says that it is "Chipset RTL8811AU - Realtek, Standard IEEE802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Supports soft AP, USB 2.0 interface, Antenna Type:Internal Omni-directional Antenna."

Here is the Amazon link. Thanks again.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6 ... UTF8&psc=1

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

@BowserG,
Can you check the USB VID/PID of the WiFi adapter. Our official module 5A shows 0BDA:A811.

BowserG

Post by BowserG »

odroid wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:40 am
@BowserG,
Can you check the USB VID/PID of the WiFi adapter. Our official module 5A shows 0BDA:A811.
Hi. Under Hardware IDs it says VID_0BDA PID_A811. Thanks!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Yes, the stock driver in the official kernel should support the same chipset in the WiFi module 5A.

escalade

Post by escalade »

New image uploaded:

- Kodi 18.8
- Added RTL8812AU wireless driver
- Separated Weston into two services, one that runs without taskbar to let windows fill the screen
- Firefox entry in "Ports" collection, overhauled button mapping (enter fullscreen with F5, tab on F1, arrows on d-pad)
- Re-arranged control panel
- Kodi on Weston without taskbar
- Added ScummVM initial config with theme/extra paths and fluidsynth set
- Flashback game-speed issue fixed
- Updated libretro cores
- Added urxvt, wmctrl, netplay-mitm-server (these are for testing, may be removed later)
- Fresh new "over the top" bootplash!
header.png
header.png (38.73 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Download link
These users thanked the author escalade for the post (total 2):
EpicGoogle (Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:58 am) • odroid (Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:51 am)

Liquidream

Post by Liquidream »

Thank you @escalade for adding PICO-8 support to RetroELEC.
I struggled adding this myself a while back (still a bit of a linux noobie!), so this looks awesome.
Can't wait to give it a go! 😁

escalade

Post by escalade »

@mattlovell

I think you've got something wrong, there's no integration between Kodi and Cava. Cava is an audio visualizer, normally you connect it to either ALSA or Pulseaudio and it'll visualize the source device of your choosing. Any audio going through that device will be visualized, be it Kodi or any other application.

On the topic of C.A.V.A., I've just uploaded an update that uses Cava's ncurses mode in rxvt to apply a color gradient.

escalade

Post by escalade »

New image uploaded:

- Removed my Emulationstation visualizer hack
- Modified Cava's sleep timer to also turn off the backlight (sleep kicks in after 10 seconds)
- Added some basic Xresources config and color schema to rxvt and made it the default terminal
- Weston RDP now uses FreeRDP 2.2.0
- Improvements to the start-up sequence of Cava and Weston
- Added progress bars for the auto-installers of certain ports
- DevilutionX now has true wide screen support and fills the OGA's screen
- Samba 4.13.0
- OpenSSL 1.1.1h
- Version bumps for RetroArch/cores
odroid (Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:09 am) • EpicGoogle (Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:31 am)

RexDart
ODROIDs: odroid go advance be

Post by RexDart »

Really liking this build. It's the only one I see with already-working Kodi, and you keep shoving in extras like Flashback-Reminiscense and all the Quakes.

A few questions if you have time:

1: What's the difference between starting a SCUMMVM or PSP game from the main menu, and going to the "Ports" section, starting SCUMMVM, then starting the game? Does one method save on RAM/resources over the other?

2: How can I update without losing my ROMs and settings? Linux noob, but I made a Linux laptop (Mint) to better interface with my OGABE. So I should be able to follow whatever commands are required.

3: Is the infinity engine still a part of this build? I bought Baldur's Gate 2, but I don't see where to put it. I'm still in the return window... if it doesn't run on the OGABE I don't think I want to play it on the big screen. Seems like a perfect, engrossing travel experience.

4: In Retroarch, if I change the hotkeys and save the config, a file is written to the config folder (for example quicknes_libretro.cfg). But on exit and restart, Retroarch will load retroarch.cfg instead of my preferred cfg file. For now, I've copied the contents of my config file into the default retroarch file, but I assume that'll get wiped out with updates. What's the permanent solution to changing configs in Retroarch?

5: Is there a way to change emulationstation hotkeys as well? I see es_input.cfg, is that the one?

6: I downloaded a theme and put it in storage/.config/emulationstation/themes, following a guide from emulationstation's website. But I can't activate it. Is there a way, or does this build prohibit user themes?

Thanks! I'm aware you're probably doing this in your free time and you don't owe me anything. I'm just having a great time trying to force more and more functionality out of this thing, and your build has been the most fun so far!
These users thanked the author RexDart for the post:
escalade (Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:35 am)

escalade

Post by escalade »

1. No difference, some times it's useful to start the frontend without launching a game (just for changing settings for example).

2. Copy the image.gz file to /storage/.update (also available as "Update" through SMB) and reboot.

3. Had to remove it as it doesn't downscale to 480x320.

4. That should work, if you look in /storage/.config/retroarch/config, you will find .cfg overrides for lots of cores included in this image.

5. Yes, you can find it in /storage/.config/emulationstation/es_input.cfg or change it through the menus.

6. You're on an old image, update as it's been fixed.

RexDart

Post by RexDart »

Thanks, especially for telling me how to update. Was easy and worked. And it didn't wipe out my config changes!
I found out about Pico 8 because of this build. Awesome.

macifom
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance BE

Post by macifom »

Huge thanks to escalade for creating and improving these RetroELEC images! They really bring out the potential of the device and brightened up quarantine significantly. I wanted to let you know that I've run into a couple of showstoppers after upgrading to the latest (RetroELEC-OdroidGoAdvance.aarch64-9.2-devel-20201008042823) build.
1) Attempting to launch a PSP game from ES results in '/usr/bin/ppsspp.sh not found'. Trying to launch from within PPSSPP, which will launch from 'Ports' results in a 'Could not load game. Failed to load executable: File corrupt' error.
2) I can no longer cleanly reboot or shut down the device from Emulation Station. The device appears to hang but ultimately drops me back to console with the note 'Failed to reboot system via logind: Connection timed out / Failed to start reboot.target: Connection timed out'. It appears the file system isn't flushed to flash either because all of my ES settings revert when I'm forced to hard shutdown and start up again.
These issues occurred with both an upgrade from an earlier release and a clean flash of the image. I'd much appreciate a fix as I deleted my backups of your earlier builds and I am THIS close to finally beating Persona 3: Portable ;)

escalade

Post by escalade »

New image uploaded, fixed missing ppsspp.sh and also RetroArch netplay is fixed. I couldn't reproduce the reboot issue, so I suppose that might be fixed too.

macifom

Post by macifom »

Thanks for the quick turnaround on the first PPSSPP issue. Unfortunately after PPSSPP launches I'm still getting a the corrupt executable error and the Shutdown / Reboot issue remains. I'm on an Odroid Go Advance BE Rev 1.1 and didn't have this issue on 20200902, the build I was using prior to upgrading yesterday. I'm going to try another SD card just to eliminate that possibility.

macifom

Post by macifom »

No change in behavior on a known good Samsung 32GB SD card. I dug RetroELEC-OdroidGoAdvance.aarch64-9.2-devel-20200902212513-odroidgo2_v11 out of an automated system backup and am using it without issues, but also without the shiny new features :(

supercom32

Post by supercom32 »

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find information about how to configure RetroELEC. For example, how do you configure KODI, which I can't seem to find in the menu carousell? Or how do you back out of a game (SMS for example) when it is running? I tried all kinds of button combinations, etc but I wasn't able to figure it out. I also tried running DOSBOX, but couldn't figure out how to enable analog stick as a mouse. I probably need to go into the config menus to change things, but no buttons seem to map to that.

I'm guessing the missing link is maybe I need to plug in a real keyboard and mouse for setup purposes at least once, since not everything can be done via gamepad?

escalade

Post by escalade »

@supercom32

There really should be no need for configuring anything. The user expects to be able to just dump the bios files in the correct place and transfer roms. Everything that you see at first boot should be in a proper working state already set up.

You can find Kodi under the "Ports" section, can't believe you missed it :P

Regarding dosbox, I think analog stick mouse emulation can be enabled in core options or similar. It's certainly doable in RetroArch. Don't be afraid to explore a bit and let me know if you see anything that doesn't work like you expect it too. If you feel the need to reset RetroArch configuration there's an option for that in the control panel in "Ports" section.

RexDart

Post by RexDart »

@Supercom32

I had trouble with that at first. The way you exit a running game at first is to hit button V + VI together, which takes you to the Retroarch menu, then exit Retroarch. I was able to configure my own exit keys, along with save/load, fastforward, and so on, in settings/input/hotkeys. Then there's another step to make the changes permanent, you can see that solution in my question to escalade above.

If I remember correctly, DOSbox in Retroarch will allow you set your input to the universal settings "Keyboard and mouse" or just "Mouse." If you choose "Keyboard and mouse," Retroarch will not allow the left analog stick to be used as mouse input; it only allows the right analog stick to be mouse, which the OGA doesn't have. You have to choose the "Mouse" input option, which severely limits the versatility of your buttons. It's a big pain.

@escalade

I'm having the same trouble with PPSSPP and "Corrupt file" as the user above. I have another card with Batocera on it, though I prefer your build. The same ISO files do run in Batocera.

supercom32

Post by supercom32 »

@RexDart & @escalade: Thanks for the input. That was incredibly helpful! With the right key combination, I was able to break out of the menus and get to the configuration screens. I would have never guessed it without a keyboard inserted or something (which I didn't have at the time).

In regards to DOSBOX, I'm disappointed that Keyboard & Mouse doesn't support the left analog stick for mapping. It seems like a terrible oversight to artificially restrict button mapping in such a strange way. In fact, I'm kind of curious if anyone actually compiled a new binary that fixes this, since surely I can't imagine we're the only people who hate this limitation?

escalade

Post by escalade »

@RexDart

Really weird, I can't reproduce here on 20201010131051. God of War and Sega Rally Revo launches fine. I haven't tested on a clean memory card, but can't see what would be the issue. Anything in the logs?

RexDart

Post by RexDart »

@escalade

You know, this morning I tried with a few more files. Little Big Planet launched. Metal Gear Solid Portable launched (Unplayable framerate though). But Tactics Ogre and Mega Man Powered up failed with a "corrupt file" error, and both of those did start under the Batocera build.
It might just be my inexperience with PPSSPP. I'm trying to sort out the issues that I should be solving myself, and issues that actually concern your build.
Where are the logs stored?

RexDart

Post by RexDart »

@supercom32
I took another look, and here's what it is specifically:

Retroarch lets you choose a "device type." If you choose "gamepad" or "joystick," it will emulate a mouse with the left joystick BUT it will not let you input keyboard commands on the other buttons. It only offers you gamepad or joystick buttons. If you choose the "keyboard and mouse" input type, you are able to map buttons to any keyboard key, BUT Retroarch will not use the left joystick for mouse input.

It's not a problem with any of the builds on this forum, it's a limitation of Retroarch+DOSbox. It might be easy enough to fix with a config file, I just don't know where it is. I'd like to find it, though, because we also need an onscreen keyboard in dosbox and scummvm.

escalade

Post by escalade »

All emulator frontends log to files under /var/log. There's also the "Logfiles" SMB share that will automatically generate a zipfile containing every log there is, and you can view logs from the control panel under "Ports".

I build ppsspp from git, there could be issues from time to time. I'm wondering if there's any point in having ppsspp, it's far too heavy for the OGA to run any relevant games at full speed. I know there's a ppsspp/libgo2 port, but I haven't tried it myself. Anyone know how it runs in comparison?

macifom

Post by macifom »

Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 am
I'm wondering if there's any point in having ppsspp, it's far too heavy for the OGA to run any relevant games at full speed. I know there's a ppsspp/libgo2 port, but I haven't tried it myself. Anyone know how it runs in comparison?
Whoa there! With the proper settings I haven't found any PSP games that WON'T run at nearly full speed. Turn on auto frameskip, Vsync, 2-4x anisotropic filtering and possibly a few other minor tweaks I'm forgetting and most games play perfectly well. As I said, I've nearly beaten Persona 3: Portable on it and apart from the occasional hiccup, performance is not noticeably different from on my old PSP-2000.

It seems likely that PPSSPP git master is currently semi-broken.

escalade

Post by escalade »

Well, I did say "full" speed :) Personally I don't care much for emulation if it can't be done accurately, and frame skipping certainly isn't very accurate.

New image have been uploaded, now with Diablo: Hellfire support!
odroid (Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 am) • EpicGoogle (Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:47 am)

RexDart

Post by RexDart »

PPSSPP certainly can be pretty heavy, but not all games require so much muscle. I just gave the Emuelec build a try and it runs PSP games fairly well. It is interesting that between Batocera, Emuelec, and Retroelec, the same game might work or not, and might run well or not. For example, NFS Most Wanted doesn't start on Batocera, doesn't run well on Retroelec, and is barely playable on Emuelec. I'm testing with six games, and only Emuelec has actually run all six. But it's definitely worth keeping for the 2d or lite 3d games on PSP.

Again, I'm not diving into core configurations here, so there's probably a way to get consistent performance from each build.

escalade

Post by escalade »

Your tests are inaccurate, you are simply not taking into account differences in build time options, core configuration, versions, etc. The same software will perform pretty much the same on any distribution. Shanti might build with an older PPSSPP version, or he might use the libgo2 tree from Crashoverride. Maybe he's adding a default configuration that optimizes performance, I don't know. There's no magic going into any of the available images that will make them perform any better, given that they aren't bogged down with heavy services. If PPSSPP is running faster in his image, the same modifications could be done in mine and vice versa. I'm building from the default git tree with the latest and "greatest" code. I am aware that the consensus is older versions perform better on weak hardware though.

escalade

Post by escalade »

New image uploaded:

- MPV media player with GPU accelerated video decoding
- Integration of MPV in Emulationstation (media files go into /storage/videos)
- Updated RetroArch and cores
- Flatpak 1.8.3

The following OGA buttons have been mapped for MPV:

D-PAD = seek
A = play/pause
B = quit
X = switch subtitles
Y = show OSD
F5/F6 = volume -/+

English subtitles are enabled by default, and player position will be saved so when you open a video it'll continue where you left off.

Enjoy! :-)

Josh86

Post by Josh86 »

Very nice! Video playback works great in MPV.

I haven't given RetroElec a try in a few months, so I do have a couple comments and questions after trying it out again this afternoon.

I experienced random black screens, both with my OGA BE and originals. Seems to happen at any time (happened while in genesisplusgx and ppsspp). One time it did come back with an image randomly, but I've had to force shut down the device as I can't navigate RA or PPSSPP to quit back to ES. Sound plays in background, device is otherwise responsive. I don't believe I'm hitting any certain inputs for it to happen. It's almost like it's doing the exact same behavior as the screensaver key.

Not sure how much work it would be since there both RA and standalone emulators...but having a unified key combo to terminate applications or close retroarch would be a nice convenience. After trying other images, I find I missed it quickly on RetroElec.

Things like Kodi or the desktop -- It looks like you cleaned up or put all those boot options into emulation station now either in 'ports' or part of the ES frontend. That's a lot easier to manage I think for a user. I see retrorun was removed looking at previous posts. Do you feel the built in netplay for retroarch is good enough compared to the multiplayer streaming in that? It's about the only reason I think I would use retrorun right now.

Multiplayer in DevilutionX is welcome! I wish some of the other images who ported it had it enabled and not just the loopback.

There's definitely some strange performance stuff going on with PPSSPP. On RetroElec it appears to run worse over some other images, or the particular build being used as of writing isn't working well. v1.10.3-1196 shows to run at full frames even with frameskipping off, but there is this very apparent graphics issue with frames being drawn smoothly. Audio is fine -- just the video/drawing. I was directly comparing it to EmuElec's v3.9 build, v1.10.3-387 (from August) and it's like night at day. Settings within the emulator are identical with the exception of the one or two options available on recent builds (that would not affect the comparison). I can tell you one weird thing though, the newer build being used on RetroElec seems to draw text sharper. Edit: I believe this is due to the PSP fonts used that build. The newer build on EmuElec also is sharper.

I'll try the image out some more. Just wanted to give my input. I also noticed the fix on Retroarch's multiplayer within RetroElec? Awesome! Saw your issue in the repository where it was broken. At the moment I can't get netplay working on EmuElec v3.9 :( as it's a newer RA build, so that's a feature I'm missing out on currently.
Last edited by Josh86 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

shanti
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid N2

Post by shanti »

Josh86 wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:01 am
I experienced random black screens, both with my OGA BE and originals. Seems to happen at any time (happened while in genesisplusgx and ppsspp). One time it did come back with an image randomly, but I've had to force shut down the device as I can't navigate RA or PPSSPP to quit back to ES. Sound plays in background, device is otherwise responsive. I don't believe I'm hitting any certain inputs for it to happen. It's almost like it's doing the exact same behavior as the screensaver key.
This was happening in EmuELEC after roughly 10 or so minutes, adding

Code: Select all

consoleblank=0
to the boot command line should fix this, it seems the kernel does not count the gamepad as "activity" and the default blankscreen/screensaver kicks in.
These users thanked the author shanti for the post:
Josh86 (Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:02 am)

shanti

Post by shanti »

Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:59 pm
New image uploaded:

- Flatpak 1.8.3

The following OGA buttons have been mapped for MPV:

D-PAD = seek
A = play/pause
B = quit
X = switch subtitles
Y = show OSD
F5/F6 = volume -/+

English subtitles are enabled by default, and player position will be saved so when you open a video it'll continue where you left off.

Enjoy! :-)
Very nice! care to share the gamepad config source for MPV?

EDIT: Actually is there a way I could get the full source code up to date? I could not find it in github :(

escalade

Post by escalade »

@shanti

Just uploaded my latest sources, due to massive amounts of changes and other stuff going on I still haven't had time to get back to proper source control, only chaos :) You'll find the AntimicroX mapping in packages/escalade/multimedia/mpv/files and you might also find packages/escalade/tools/antimicrox/profile.d/85-antimicrox.conf useful. Thanks for the tip regarding consoleblank, come to think of it I've indeed experienced that a few times and thought it was an Emulationstation bug. The power button has been able to wake the screen again in those cases.

@josh86

Regarding key combo to terminate applications, there's only libretro cores in my image so F5+F6 should work for all emulators except for PPSSPP where you can simply use F6. Anything else I think should have a menu with quit options or be able to hit B to get back. It would be helpful if you were more specific which app you are having issues quitting.

As for game streaming the code is still closed source AFAIK, so haven't been able to look at it and I have not tested it either. For the moment it sounds more like a short-lived gimmick to me, which will die once the author loses interest. Unless it's open sourced and ported to other platforms of course, but I really don't know much about it. I think RetroArch's netplay mode is good, or was good I should say as you have noticed it's broken. I reverted the code when it was fresh enough to do so but at this point master changed too much. Doesn't seem to be a priority for them at the moment (no response on the issue), but I'm sure someone will have a look at it eventually.

On to PPSSPP, as I've mentioned before I realize that older versions some times perform better but it would be better for everyone if someone actually opened some issues on their github regarding this and helped fix whatever changed to hurt the performance. I just don't care enough about it to be keeping track of "good" version numbers for each of my platforms.
shanti (Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:58 pm) • Josh86 (Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:08 am)

shanti

Post by shanti »

Thanks!

Josh86

Post by Josh86 »

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:19 am
The power button has been able to wake the screen again in those cases.
I'll have to try it again (I only have 3 SD cards on hand and I'm constantly switching images around on two). I was certain the power button was not bringing the backlight/screen back on for me, but I will let you know if I have any issues still.
Regarding key combo to terminate applications, there's only libretro cores in my image so F5+F6 should work for all emulators except for PPSSPP where you can simply use F6. Anything else I think should have a menu with quit options or be able to hit B to get back. It would be helpful if you were more specific which app you are having issues quitting.
Yeah, there's no issue exiting... but perhaps I just missed or goofed up the instant terminate key combo. F5+F6 would just open the overlay for me for retroarch/libretro. I know I rebound at least my 'start' to F6, 'select' to F1, and 'hotkey' to F1 in ES -- that perhaps had something to do with it. I was trying to mimic the same functions Batocera has set by default (because I'm so used to it at this point). I'll try it all again with a fresh flash and see how it all works. Thanks for the info.
As for game streaming the code is still closed source AFAIK
Yeah, crash (I've only followed anything he's done since the announcement of the OGA) seems pretty quiet on most of what he works on until it's primetime to reveal and implement. I don't think he plans on sharing it outside of how it works contained within retrorun (or if it would even be something remotely adaptable outside of retrorun without significant work). I'm no programmer, so I'm talking out my butt here *shrug*. I've also seen a number of comments about how covid has possibly affected his working schedule.

As far as gamestreaming in general, I would love to see something like moonlight as a user. Batocera's compatiblity chart shows it available on the original Odroid GO (?), but I haven't seen any work/notes on it from them on OGA implementation. I'm sure there's reasons why it wouldn't work on various images, but Areascout implemented moonlight-qt on the reference image and it looks like it works great. You see something like that and it's hard not to just want it.
On to PPSSPP, as I've mentioned before I realize that older versions some times perform better but it would be better for everyone if someone actually opened some issues on their github regarding this and helped fix whatever changed to hurt the performance. I just don't care enough about it to be keeping track of "good" version numbers for each of my platforms.
I mean to post an update on this. I tried EmuElec v4.0 (which has a newer build of PPSSPP) and it runs just fine. There's definitely something weird going on with that build maybe OR the only other thing I can think of was the SD card I was using (a slower class 4 possibly? But I can't imagine a 4MB read speed would have caused those issues?). I will let you know on that if it was simply hardware on my end. Something I did find out though in reference to the whole 'text' clarity/sharpness. It seems that the older 1.10.3xx builds used a different system font type/file in the emulation. The newer 1.10.1xxx build you used and the one in EmuElec 4.0 has nice crisp text the emulator/system uses. Makes a huge difference, especially when it's emulated on a small device's display and not a PC.

One additional question: did you have to compile (build?) DevilutionX in a certain way to enable TCP multiplayer or is there an accessible configuration somewhere afterward to modify that kind of stuff? I only ask to see if there's a chance I can also get it working on EmuElec at this point in time.

Thanks for all the effort again and responding. Just trying to help catch anything in images that might cause issues. Oddly, I find myself more satisfied testing for bugs and figuring things out tweaking stuff than actually playing games sometimes. PPSSPP is a pretty amazing emulator though, playing Socom or Monster Hunter multiplayer over ad hoc between two OGAs (on different images and builds!) is pretty dang impressive and something I really did not expect.

Josh86

Post by Josh86 »

Tried the image again.

It looks like there's just an issue with either that PPSSPP build or the emulation with it in general in RetroElec. There's a definite display tearing and almost like a frame drop/skip or a like a blank frame insertion perhaps every other frame. The framecounter displays 100% and vsync doesn't seem to have any effect. Happens in the PPSSPP system menus as well with no image loaded or game emulation happening too.
there's only libretro cores in my image so F5+F6 should work for all emulators except for PPSSPP where you can simply use F6
The overlays and menu open just fine and it seems that's the intention for the key combo? If so, it all works well. I meant a combo to terminate the app instantly like some other images. No big deal, just a convenience thing I thought might be worthwhile for some people. If people were so inclined, they can modify the internal hotkeys from within retroarch to get that ability (with or without confirmation).

This time around, I did not get a screensaver/black screen during gameplay. Kind of puzzling.

escalade

Post by escalade »

Josh86 wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:36 am
Yeah, there's no issue exiting... but perhaps I just missed or goofed up the instant terminate key combo. F5+F6 would just open the overlay for me for retroarch/libretro. I know I rebound at least my 'start' to F6, 'select' to F1, and 'hotkey' to F1 in ES -- that perhaps had something to do with it. I was trying to mimic the same functions Batocera has set by default (because I'm so used to it at this point). I'll try it all again with a fresh flash and see how it all works. Thanks for the info.
Sounds like you used an image with Retrorun previously, as it terminates with one button. It also has no GUI or no functionality at all. I try to do mappings consistent and easy to use, but with the variety of stuff in my image one button to rule them all is impossible.
As far as gamestreaming in general, I would love to see something like moonlight as a user. Batocera's compatiblity chart shows it available on the original Odroid GO (?), but I haven't seen any work/notes on it from them on OGA implementation. I'm sure there's reasons why it wouldn't work on various images, but Areascout implemented moonlight-qt on the reference image and it looks like it works great. You see something like that and it's hard not to just want it.

Code: Select all

OGA:~ # flatpak search moonlight
Name              Description                                                        Application ID                        Version        Branch        Remotes
Moonlight         Play games remotely from your NVIDIA GameStream-enabled PC         com.moonlight_stream.Moonlight        2.2.0          stable        flathub
RetroELEC has Flatpak, and Moonlight seems to be available. Have you tried it?
One additional question: did you have to compile (build?) DevilutionX in a certain way to enable TCP multiplayer or is there an accessible configuration somewhere afterward to modify that kind of stuff? I only ask to see if there's a chance I can also get it working on EmuElec at this point in time.
No, but I do believe I experienced multiplayer not working when compiling with LTO, so I've turned that off for DevilutionX. I think Shanti enables LTO for some packages so perhaps that's the problem.

Josh86

Post by Josh86 »

Sounds like you used an image with Retrorun previously, as it terminates with one button
I know what you mean but Batocera and Emulelec mimic the Retroarch hotkey combo to terminate the application (they are preconfigured for F1+F6 within RA but that can be changed by the user). For all Retroarch cores, that key combo will instantly close RA and has the option for a confirmation (have to do it twice)...somehow Batocera and Emuelec are also using a hotkey to terminate PPSSPP and mupen64 standalone. It is ALSO F1+F6 and I am instantly returned to EmulationStation from within those emulators. My hotkey defined in emulationstation is configured as F1. I don't know if that binding is related or if F1+F6 is hardcoded by batocera/emuelec to terminate those apps.

Not a big deal, everything is accessbile/able to be used.
RetroELEC has Flatpak, and Moonlight seems to be available. Have you tried it? ... multiplayer not working when compiling with LTO, so I've turned that off for DevilutionX. I think Shanti enables LTO for some packages so perhaps that's the problem
Thanks! Did not know that but am interested now. I'll have to learn some more linux usage. Hopefully there's no issues with decoding or accessibility before I get into any of that. I'll ask Shanti about LTO during compiling too.

Return to β€œProjects”