Advice for adventure games for 9 year olds

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Advice for adventure games for 9 year olds

Post by mad_ady »

My older son finished Super Mario World and enjoyed it (despite the occasional tears when he got wrecked). He played it on PC (snes9x) and in the later stages made use abundantly of the emulator "rewind" feature :)
Anyway, I'm looking for new games for him, and I feel he'd like to try some adventure games that would help him practice the English he's learning. I wasn't a big gamer when I was a kid, and the kinds of games I played (Doom, Carmageddon) are not yet suitable for him, so... I'd like the community's advice on the matter :)

notime2d8

Re: Advice for adventure games for 9 year olds

Post by notime2d8 »

Oh, has he played any of the Pokemon games from Gameboy color or Advance? I don't think you can go wrong on them. Also lots of reading from talking, getting missions, and directions.

I also liked a few old RPG's like Secret of Mana , Final Fantasy 6, and Illusion of Gaia for SNES. It's kinda hard finding old games. They were a lot harder compared to today's games.
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

No, I'll try with one of them. I admit I didn't get into the pokemon craze, so I have no idea what they're about :)

rooted

Post by rooted »

Any of the Zelda games, especially The Minish Cap for GBA. The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse is a nice adventure game for kids.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

There are some threads about this topic on the forums (although I have a hard time finding them again :D)
Like educational games for kids, and other things.

My first image I created for the ODROID U3, I made for my little nephews which were 6 and 8 at that time if I remember correctly, so it had a hole bunch of games suitable for kids on it.
For example a Cars racing game for the PSP, some soccer and racing games.
If you're looking for adventure games, Lucasarts is your friend, the very funny Monkey Island series of games are awesome, but there are more games, some of which are more serious as well.

Many of the Disney Games are nice for kids, Aladdin, Lion King, World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, Bonkers, Animaniacs, Quack Shot.
The Sega Genesis, had tons of child friendly platformers like Mario.
Sonic --- good for training reflexes :D

Platformers on the Sega Genesis (some or silly and some are not for children:

I love the Wonderboy series, Wonderboy 3 and 4 are on the genesis and are awesome!
Wonderboy 3 can also be found on the TurboGrafix CD under the name Dynastic Hero.

Playstation 1 has also many very child friendly games.

You can also go to a channel like:
https://www.youtube.com/c/AllGamesPlayer/videos

And watch a video of (nearly) all games ever released for a console. And see what you like.
Up to Playstation Portable, Dreamcast, or even N64 you should be able to nearly run everything on an ODROID.

16 Bit consoles, maybe even some 32bit consoles are your best friend for that time.
SNES, Genesis, Playstation 1, TurboGrafx/PC Engine, Sega CD, Playstation Portable, Gameboy Advance (also very highly recommended - I like it better than the SNES), ScummVM is for adventure games, that could be interesting.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Thanks for your input! I started the educational games thread also (but this time I wanted adventure!).
I'll have a look at your suggestions!

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

if it's pure adventure games you want, watch the scummvm video, you will find quite a few that are child friendly.
As I said, the Monkey Island series is awesome, and you can't die, so no frustration, in contrary to many Sierra Adventures, where you are constantly die and have to start from a savegame.
Day of the Tentacle is also one of my all time favorite (remastered version runs on box86 ;))
I also love Beneath a Steel Sky, but maybe not for children of all ages ;)
Broken Sword is also very nice, although I like the german voice actors better :P
Discworld is also funny, but quite hard.
Inherit the Earth - Quest for the Orb is also nice and should be child friendly.
I also love "Loom" the first game where you play a "magician" that actually does magic, but with musical notes, and often has more than one solution for a problem -> a pen and paper is highly recommended.
Simon the Sorcerer - fun, but no actual magic that you do, except for being in a magical world.
"The Dig" very awesome adventure and story, but maybe bit to serious for children
Toonstruck and Burger Time, both very nice comic styled adventure, highly recommended.

just a few suggestions :P
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

I finished Day of the Tentacle Remastered with my kids. It was a great game (I enjoyed it!), but I found it difficult without a walkthrough... How was I supposed to figure out I had to send a book about compilers back through time, to read it to a horse, so it falls asleep, steal its dentures, send them to the future so that they can be pinned on a mummy so it can win first prize! Maybe kids have a much more flexible mind than grown-ups Image How long did it take you to finish it the first time, and how old were you?
I'll have a look at your other suggestions too :)

meveric

Post by meveric »

When I first played it, internet wasn't really a big thing. And yes first time it took forever.
One of the last solutions in Adventure game always is "use everything on everything" it's a hideous method and rarely required, but it tends to work for 95% of all problems (rest is talking), but may take some hours.
How old I was, hmm good question I played it under DOS and got my first PC when I was 14 so I'd guess 14~16?
So yeah, probably not directly for 9 years old, but it's funny enough that it's good for children.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

So, at 14 your english skills must have been better than a 9 year old. He could follow some of the dialog, but not everything, so we ended up playing together. Not a bad way of spending quality time... :)

meveric

Post by meveric »

mad_ady wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:09 am
So, at 14 your english skills must have been better than a 9 year old. He could follow some of the dialog, but not everything, so we ended up playing together. Not a bad way of spending quality time... :)
at 14 my english skills were horrible. That's where localization comes into play.. I played the game in German :D

meveric

Post by meveric »

been a while since this topic came up, but here's something that might be interesting if someone is still into something like this:
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/humo ... -to-school

This is a bundle from humble bundle that is having these adventure games for kids that I was talking about.
The bundle will be available until the 17th Sep. 2021 after that the link will be invalid (pretty much around this time as well).
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
odroid (Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:47 am)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Thanks! But I think even my 6 year old has outgrown such games. It's not that he can play them with any skill (he likes to have me play Put Put on a stick and laughs like a maniac when I fail), but I think they want more.

I'll test Contraption Maker (the remake of The Incredible machine) https://store.steampowered.com/app/2412 ... ion_Maker/ because I enjoyed the original as a kid and also they liked creating a Rube Goldberg machine when we went to a science museum.

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

The incredible machine is available on GOG, all three of them. I got them for my dad a year ago. :D

Remembering what I used to play when I was 9, let's see.. It was Windows 95 era, and surely enough I loved THE Need for Speed.
The Incredible Machine, too, but I had to ask my parents for translations of instructions for each level. Since my parents translated stuff for me I didn't bother learning the words myself, that's how kids work.
Also the already mentioned Disney's Lion King and Aladdin.
Sometime later I played probably my only adventure game, Ace Ventura, with Polish localization.

None of these games taught me any English, clearly.
If this is what you're after, I think I learned the most vocabulary from... Tycoon games. RollerCoaster Tycoon, Transport Tycoon and Theme Hospital, maybe some from Age of Empires. Sure, each game covers a narrow subset of English, but words are usually well illustrated and repeated so often you'll remember them for life. Also, you HAVE to understand them in order to proceed with the game. In adventure games, if you skip dialogues you'll get even more frustrated.

How about Frogatto, an adventure platformer from the makers of Wesnoth? ;)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

meveric

Post by meveric »

If you're still into adventure nonetheless, you can check the comic based ones like Orion Burger or Toonstruck, made for children, but a bit more serious.
Else there are other child friendly adventure games, that are more on the serious side:
Inherit the Earth, Monkey Island, Torins Passage, Broken Sword, Loom

Where Loom and Broken Sword have some scenes that might not be for all children :)

Return to “General Topics”