High-end Future handheld proyects?

yaotonatiuh
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID GO ADVANCE, ODROID GO SUPER
Been thanked: 0

High-end Future handheld proyects?

Post by yaotonatiuh »

Is there a Coming project OGA/OGS like, that increases chipset capabilities a little, just enough to stable emulate psp?
At this moment in the market there is no existing handheld that reach that goal, and the next rank handhelds increases its cost up to 200 or 400 US $ and many of them are not trustable in quality as OGS/OGA.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: High-end Future handheld proyects?

Post by odroid »

I think $200 handheld device looks quite reasonable to play a PSP title "God of War" at steady 60fps.

Sithlord9
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sithlord9 »

If it comes, I am in. Loving the form factor of the OGS!
These users thanked the author Sithlord9 for the post:
yaotonatiuh (Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:07 am)

yaotonatiuh

Post by yaotonatiuh »

Sithlord9 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:25 pm
If it comes, I am in. Loving the form factor of the OGS!
I'm in too, i've been searching for something like, but no results, closest devices are no longer on sale or price has increased too much.
Personally i'll love a device with similar characteristics of an ODROID N2+ and with OGS form factor.

IgaBiva
languages_spoken: english, deutsch, srpski
ODROIDs: N2

Post by IgaBiva »

yaotonatiuh wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:12 am

I'm in too, i've been searching for something like, but no results, closest devices are no longer on sale or price has increased too much.
Personally i'll love a device with similar characteristics of an ODROID N2+ and with OGS form factor.
I would buy 200$ for this kind of device without thinking!
These users thanked the author IgaBiva for the post:
yaotonatiuh (Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:45 am)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

I've seen on ETA PRIME's channel that there seems to be a trend for ridicuously powerfull handheld gaming devices, but with this year's chip shortages... who knows...

rooted

Post by rooted »

mad_ady wrote:I've seen on ETA PRIME's channel that there seems to be a trend for ridicuously powerfull handheld gaming devices, but with this year's chip shortages... who knows...
It's a trend but they also don't sell a lot of them since it's a niche device.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
yaotonatiuh (Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:52 am)

yaotonatiuh

Post by yaotonatiuh »

rooted wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:52 am
mad_ady wrote:I've seen on ETA PRIME's channel that there seems to be a trend for ridicuously powerfull handheld gaming devices, but with this year's chip shortages... who knows...
It's a trend but they also don't sell a lot of them since it's a niche device.
I suppose that's because the high price, also that kind of devices are directed to AAA gaming. Personally I see a lack of offer in the middle, we found handheld devices under $120 focused to retro gaming, and then a jump to $600 devices, but there's almost no offer on the mid way.

IgaBiva
languages_spoken: english, deutsch, srpski
ODROIDs: N2

Post by IgaBiva »

mad_ady wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:15 am
I've seen on ETA PRIME's channel that there seems to be a trend for ridicuously powerfull handheld gaming devices, but with this year's chip shortages... who knows...
Yes, they are ridiculously powerful but also ridiculously expensive - they cost more than PS5. I would never give so much money, even if they are so good.

We have devices up to 100$ and devices which cost 500 - 600$ and more. We need a device in the middle which could fill this gap.

Like I wrote, if we have device with decent build quality which can run dreamcast, saturn, PSP games in 60fps plus at least some GC titles and it costs less than 200$, I would buy it immediately. Like someone said, this would be device with power similar to N2+.
These users thanked the author IgaBiva for the post:
yaotonatiuh (Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:45 pm)

macc24
languages_spoken: english polish
ODROIDs: GoA-BE, GoS

Post by macc24 »

odroid wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:57 pm
I think $200 handheld device looks quite reasonable to play a PSP title "God of War" at steady 60fps.
points at rk3368
And, in future revisions of Odroid GO, should they ever come, please make it so usb is on a usb-c plug, and not usb-a.
It can open the door to it being a gamepad for example, or supporting actual usb file transfer modes. Without usb-a to usb-a cable with cut vbus line and without weird hacks

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Post by crashoverride »

macc24 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:17 am
points at rk3368
There would be no reason to limit it to a single USB-C port if using that chip. It could have both USB-C and USB-A as that SoC has more than one root hub.

[edit]
To elaborate a little bit ...

With USB-OTG, it was quite simple to determine the role: host or device. With USB-C it becomes much more complicated. If you plug the "future GO" into a power adapter, its expected to charge. However, if you plug a SSD/HDD into it, its expected to provide power (USB-PD). With USB-C, there is no hardware that determines who is the host and who is the device: the connectors on host and device are the same. Instead, its software negotiated and hardware role switched (dual role). Dedicating a USB-C as a "device" role and a USB-A as a "host" role makes life a lot simpler for everyone.

macc24

Post by macc24 »

crashoverride wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:53 am
macc24 wrote:
points at rk3368
There would be no reason to limit it to a single USB-C port if using that chip. It could have both USB-C and USB-A as that SoC has more than one root hub.

[edit]

With USB-OTG, it was quite simple to determine the role: host or device. With USB-C it becomes much more complicated. If you plug the "future GO" into a power adapter, its expected to charge. However, if you plug a SSD/HDD into it, its expected to provide power (USB-PD). With USB-C, there is no hardware that determines who is the host and who is the device: the connectors on host and device are the same. Instead, its software negotiated and hardware role switched (dual role). Dedicating a USB-C as a "device" role and a USB-A as a "host" role makes life a lot simpler for everyone.
I just want any port that would be standard device port to make it easier to just make "future go" a usb device instead of having to buy and modify a super unpopular cable just for one device and expect users to do this ,_,
I am almost done with getting odroid go advance and odroid go super to appear as a regular pendrive to a computer, and then after disabling "usb mode in menu" go back to being a host. It would have been much simpler with a usb-c or micro-usb or mini-usb plug for device functionality

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

macc24 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:30 am
crashoverride wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:53 am
macc24 wrote:
points at rk3368

[edit]

I just want any port that would be standard device port to make it easier to just make "future go" a usb device instead of having to buy and modify a super unpopular cable just for one device and expect users to do this ,_,
I am almost done with getting odroid go advance and odroid go super to appear as a regular pendrive to a computer, and then after disabling "usb mode in menu" go back to being a host. It would have been much simpler with a usb-c or micro-usb or mini-usb plug for device functionality

Oh, this works? I tried it with a USB A male to male cable and it didn't work? I thought it was a hardware limitation...? details please.
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

rooted

Post by rooted »

I'm interested in knowing how to enable OTG as well, my understanding is the pins are either not connected or used by something else.

macc24

Post by macc24 »

notime2d8 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:48 pm
Oh, this works? I tried it with a USB A male to male cable and it didn't work? I thought it was a hardware limitation...? details please.
rooted wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:47 pm
I'm interested in knowing how to enable OTG as well, my understanding is the pins are either not connected or used by something else.
I will ping both of you when it reaches dtg-ng git repo and is usable.
Be warned: it is hacky.

Return to “General Topics”