Playing Linux games on OGA BE

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+

Playing Linux games on OGA BE

Post by mctom »

Hi!

I got OGA BE as a birthday gift for my girlfriend. I got it one month ahead to avoid traditional stocking problems in December. ;)

Anyway, she's really into retro gaming so I got her this to run some NES and PS1 games on the go.
However, she also likes games like supertux, frogatto or supertuxkart.

As far as I can tell, the recommended image for OGA BE is ubuntu minimal with emulationstation.

My questions are:

1. Does Linux games work on OGA in general (for example those three that I mentioned)
2. Does emulationstation offer convenient selection of Linux games, aside from the emulated ones?
3. Can we expect the comparable performance of supertuxkart to what I get on N2+ with Armbian Focal, run in 320x480 window? It is playable with minimal graphics settings, and I wouldn't care about that much with such a low resolution..
4. Are there any other images worth checking out, as of december 2020?

Thanks in advance!

crashoverride
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Re: Playing Linux games on OGA BE

Post by crashoverride »

mctom wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:22 am
1. Does Linux games work on OGA in general (for example those three that I mentioned)
For distributions that include a patched SDL (the Reference Image does not), any Linux game using SDL will work "in general". This is not meant to imply a playable experience.
mctom wrote:
2. Does emulationstation offer convenient selection of Linux games, aside from the emulated ones?
EmulationStation menus are customizable. It is possible to add Linux games to a custom es_systems.cfg file. Search the internet for more details on how to customize EmulationStation.
mctom wrote:
3. Can we expect the comparable performance of supertuxkart to what I get on N2+ with Armbian Focal, run in 320x480 window? It is playable with minimal graphics settings, and I wouldn't care about that much with such a low resolution..
I have no experience with supertuxkart. So, this question is best left to someone else.
mctom wrote:
4. Are there any other images worth checking out, as of december 2020?
The are a variety of images available for GO-Advance. Since the question is subjective, its best to try out images and decide which one suits your needs best.

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+

Post by mctom »

crashoverride wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm
For distributions that include a patched SDL (the Reference Image does not), any Linux game using SDL will work "in general". This is not meant to imply a playable experience.
How can I tell which distribution has "patched SDL"? I think that software rendered graphics on such a small display should be good enough.
crashoverride wrote:
EmulationStation menus are customizable. It is possible to add Linux games to a custom es_systems.cfg file. Search the internet for more details on how to customize EmulationStation.
Thanks, I'll look into that. Ideally there would be an access to apt and a menu for games installed that way. But if a bit of hacking is necessary, well, she'll get to learn something new, I guess :D
crashoverride wrote:
The are a variety of images available for GO-Advance. Since the question is subjective, its best to try out images and decide which one suits your needs best.
I have a really hard time trying to find any alternatives, there seems to be no wiki entry dedicated to this. :cry:

crashoverride
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Post by crashoverride »

mctom wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:48 pm
How can I tell which distribution has "patched SDL"?
You would need to ask the author of the image or a community member using it.
mctom wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:48 pm
I have a really hard time trying to find any alternatives
Look in the "Projects" section of this forum. They are "pinned" to the top of the list:
viewforum.php?f=193

RetroELEC
EmuELEC
RRVL Final / Retro Roller
The Retro Arena OS
ODROID GameStation Turbo Advance
batocera.linux
Debian Buster
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post:
mctom (Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 pm)

Return to “General Topics”