ODROID-GO Advance

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 7277
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 129 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by rooted » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 am

notime2d8 wrote:Is the screen portion of the case open? If it is would a touchscreen overly fit?

I'm wondering if I can do a overly and wire it to the I2C test points. Image
No, it has a plastic cover over the LCD.

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7381
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 359 times
Been thanked: 258 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 am

Though you could chose not to put it on or sandwitch something between lcd and cover.

osmium
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:22 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid u3, odroid go
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by osmium » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:25 pm

One thing I don't understand is why a barrel power jack is used? Even a micro USB port is a better choice IMO

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7381
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 359 times
Been thanked: 258 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:12 pm

I think that had they used a microusb jack they couldn't add the usb A connector (without extra cost) and you would have to use a otg cable for peripherals. Also you couldn't charge and use usb, while now you can use power (with no battery) with usb which enables always-on uses like a network screen.

mat203
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:32 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: GO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by mat203 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 am

They could have used a Micro-USB jack and just connect the two power lines, like e.g. the Raspberry Pi does it. Doesn't cost much and everyone has a Micro-USB cable laying around. Now users are bound to one proprietary cable, not a very wise choice. An even better solution would have been to implement OTG, as the device also lacks USB device mode (SD card can't be exposed as mass storage device to an OS).

Besides that, the device looks to be very well designed from both schematics and board layout point of view. The Hardkernel guys did a good job, especially when considering the price point !

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 7277
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 129 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by rooted » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:24 am

It's not a proprietary cable, it's a standard barrel connector.

User avatar
meveric
Posts: 10737
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 242 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:40 am

rooted wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:24 am
It's not a proprietary cable, it's a standard barrel connector.
Agreed, I use my ODROID U3 plug from 2013 works perfectly fine :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 7277
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 129 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by rooted » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:02 am

meveric wrote:
rooted wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:24 am
It's not a proprietary cable, it's a standard barrel connector.
Agreed, I use my ODROID U3 plug from 2013 works perfectly fine :)
I've been using the C1/C2 connector that'came with the original Smart Power, I have a couple of adapters also.

They are not quite as easily sourced as Micro USB but they are a better connector.

Slaminger
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Xu4, n2, c2, odroid go advance
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by Slaminger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:52 am

@crashoverride do you have a rough ETA on the 3d retroarch API? Or mupen non core? People are going nuts for cps3 and n64 in a handheld.

crashoverride
Posts: 4755
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:42 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 207 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by crashoverride » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:07 am

Slaminger wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:52 am
do you have a rough ETA on the 3d retroarch API? Or mupen non core?
I tentatively expect mupen64plus (stand-alone) the week of Friday, January 24. Retrurun (not RetroArch) is expected to gain 3D support shortly thereafter. Emulators with 3D support are typically very resource intensive. It is expected that these will be stand-alone ports (like PPSSPP is) rather than libretro cores for performance reasons.
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post (total 2):
rooted (Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:08 am) • Slaminger (Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 am)

Slaminger
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Xu4, n2, c2, odroid go advance
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by Slaminger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 am

crashoverride wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:07 am
Slaminger wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:52 am
do you have a rough ETA on the 3d retroarch API? Or mupen non core?
I tentatively expect mupen64plus (stand-alone) the week of Friday, January 24. Retrurun (not RetroArch) is expected to gain 3D support shortly thereafter. Emulators with 3D support are typically very resource intensive. It is expected that these will be stand-alone ports (like PPSSPP is) rather than libretro cores for performance reasons.
That makes sense, very good news! Thank you. Also retrorun* my phone auto corrected it.
Last edited by Slaminger on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

osmium
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:22 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid u3, odroid go
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by osmium » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:37 pm

rooted wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:02 am
meveric wrote:
rooted wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:24 am
It's not a proprietary cable, it's a standard barrel connector.
Agreed, I use my ODROID U3 plug from 2013 works perfectly fine :)
I've been using the C1/C2 connector that'came with the original Smart Power, I have a couple of adapters also.

They are not quite as easily sourced as Micro USB but they are a better connector.
Don't quite agree that the one odroid always used is a better connector (I have the u3)
I agree that a larger diameter barrel connector is better than micro usb, but at this diameter, the plug can easily bent when it is knocked from the side.
It's always a pain for me re-solder the connector and even more to order the connector and wait for shipment....

And don't forget the odroid go is using the micro usb connector.

It might make sense to use the barrel when 5v/2A usb is not as common in C1/C2 ages, but it's just not quite any more.

Slaminger
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Xu4, n2, c2, odroid go advance
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by Slaminger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm

osmium wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:37 pm
rooted wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:02 am
meveric wrote:
rooted wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:24 am
It's not a proprietary cable, it's a standard barrel connector.
Agreed, I use my ODROID U3 plug from 2013 works perfectly fine :)
I've been using the C1/C2 connector that'came with the original Smart Power, I have a couple of adapters also.

They are not quite as easily sourced as Micro USB but they are a better connector.
Don't quite agree that the one odroid always used is a better connector (I have the u3)
I agree that a larger diameter barrel connector is better than micro usb, but at this diameter, the plug can easily bent when it is knocked from the side.
It's always a pain for me re-solder the connector and even more to order the connector and wait for shipment....

And don't forget the odroid go is using the micro usb connector.

It might make sense to use the barrel when 5v/2A usb is not as common in C1/C2 ages, but it's just not quite any more.
I don't see a big issue with it, sure it's not as common of a cord, but still not hard to locate cheap on eBay. Also, by looking at my unit, there is a good chance you could swap the port yourself without much issue.

osmium
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:22 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid u3, odroid go
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by osmium » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:12 pm

Slaminger wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm
osmium wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:37 pm
rooted wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:02 am
meveric wrote:
rooted wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:24 am
It's not a proprietary cable, it's a standard barrel connector.
Agreed, I use my ODROID U3 plug from 2013 works perfectly fine :)
I've been using the C1/C2 connector that'came with the original Smart Power, I have a couple of adapters also.

They are not quite as easily sourced as Micro USB but they are a better connector.
Don't quite agree that the one odroid always used is a better connector (I have the u3)
I agree that a larger diameter barrel connector is better than micro usb, but at this diameter, the plug can easily bent when it is knocked from the side.
It's always a pain for me re-solder the connector and even more to order the connector and wait for shipment....

And don't forget the odroid go is using the micro usb connector.

It might make sense to use the barrel when 5v/2A usb is not as common in C1/C2 ages, but it's just not quite any more.
I don't see a big issue with it, sure it's not as common of a cord, but still not hard to locate cheap on eBay. Also, by looking at my unit, there is a good chance you could swap the port yourself without much issue.
Just some suggestions to make it a better product in the future. I think we all have enough cables lying around on our work desk, having common plugs would be super nice.

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7381
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 359 times
Been thanked: 258 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:15 pm

Obligatory XKCD Standards post...
https://xkcd.com/927/

User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
Posts: 33398
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID
Has thanked: 409 times
Been thanked: 464 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by odroid » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:30 pm

We've started selling it and we can ship from next Thursday (Feb-6).
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-go-advance/

It's selling at a faster rate than expected, so be sure to buy it early. ;)
These users thanked the author odroid for the post (total 4):
rooted (Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:42 pm) • shareef (Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:36 am) • Slaminger (Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 am) • Airfixer (Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:12 pm)

User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
Posts: 33398
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID
Has thanked: 409 times
Been thanked: 464 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by odroid » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Sold out!

It is very hard to predict when we can resume the production at this moment.
We are importing several components (mechanical parts, connectors and battery) from China.
But there is no clear prediction when they can start working again due to the fast spreading corona virus.
We just guess we can sell it again two or three months later at least.

Locked

Return to “General Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jwalker3853, SleepyGiant037 and 9 guests