Idea for a gamelink type multiplayer functionality

kelbot
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, HC2 x2, Go
Been thanked: 0

Idea for a gamelink type multiplayer functionality

Unread post by kelbot » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm

Hack an ethernet port into the Advance and then you could use a standard ethernet cable between two Go Advances for multiplayer. :)

rooted

Re: Idea for a gamelink type multiplayer functionality

Unread post by rooted » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:05 pm

kelbot wrote:Hack an ethernet port into the Advance and then you could use a standard ethernet cable between two Go Advances for multiplayer. :)
Why not just use USB Ethernet? You can get one for $10 or less.

kelbot

Unread post by kelbot » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:17 pm

Certainly another way to do it. But then you have to keep a cable AND a usb ethernet adapter with you and lose your USB port if you need it for other things.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:56 pm

AFAIK there is no way to install Ethernet, there is no controller chipset or a place to put one.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:15 pm

why not use a USB WLAN dongle instead? Wireless network, you know? No cables at all :P
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

kelbot

Unread post by kelbot » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 am

Because there's more than one way to do things? Because you occupy the USB and can't use it for other devices that way?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:33 pm

kelbot wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 am
Because there's more than one way to do things? Because you occupy the USB and can't use it for other devices that way?
Ever heard of something called an USB Hub?
I have mouse, keyboard, wlan and LAN running on the Go at the moment at the same time.
Mine looks like this: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07Z4YX5TF/
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

kelbot

Unread post by kelbot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:44 am

Yes. I'd rather not have yet another thing to carry around and a bigger mess of wires.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:21 am

But you still want to use "other devices" via USB with it as by your previous post :D

kelbot

Unread post by kelbot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:03 am

Say you wanted to retain the ability to plug in flash drives. If you had a built in ethernet you would need nothing other than an ethernet cable and your flash drive. If you did everything over usb you would have a cable, a hub plus its cable and your flash drive. You are welcome to carry a whole satchel of accessories with you and turn your Go Advance into a spaghetti monster but I'd rather not :).

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 am

I just don't see an issue carrying a light Ethernet cable with USB adapters on both ends.

These will add a tiny amount of bulk vs just the cable.

kelbot

Unread post by kelbot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:02 am

I guess. Why are you two so against hacking new functionality into this device that was designed to be hacked on?!

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:27 pm

The problem with on-board ethernet is 50% (or more people) would complain about the lack of on-board wifi. And ethernet itself is not really portable.

I admit 1usb port is a bit limiting but:
1. it could have been a microusb port doubling as a charging port so you would have needed a otg adapter as well.
2. how often do you expect to use network and usb storage at the same time (for gaming purposes)? Typically you'd plug in usb and (automatically) transfer roms to sd card and use network while playing. For this wifi 0 dongle seems like the best one.

So, it came down to a design choice...

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 pm

kelbot wrote:I guess. Why are you two so against hacking new functionality into this device that was designed to be hacked on?!
You can't add Ethernet mate.

pmprog
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO

Unread post by pmprog » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:22 pm

You could always create a custom cable for the GPIO and modify your emulators to transmit data over them. That seems a bit excessive, but always an option :)

kelbot

Unread post by kelbot » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:42 am

rooted wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 pm
kelbot wrote:I guess. Why are you two so against hacking new functionality into this device that was designed to be hacked on?!
You can't add Ethernet mate.
Is there a technical reason why you couldn't? If that's true then why make a bunch of silly arguments against the concept throughout this whole post rather than saying that from the beginning?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:11 am

kelbot wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:42 am
Is there a technical reason why you couldn't?
The PCB and connectors are already listed here in the forums and on the HardKernel website.
Where do you want to "hack in" an ethernet port?
It's not like you can glue in a connector and it works.
kelbot wrote:
If that's true then why make a bunch of silly arguments against the concept throughout this whole post rather than saying that from the beginning?
I guess no one really took that comment of yours serious that you actually wanted to create a new connection out of nowhere.
Also that is what @rooted did (check his second reply) but it seems you completely ignored that comment.

maker_gamer
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advanced (preordered)
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by maker_gamer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:09 am

I'm confused about why folks are talking about using Ethernet cables.
* Are folks wanting the nostalgia experience of having a wired tether between them?
* Did I miss the post about using a WiFi dongle in Access Point mode (with netmasq)?
* I'm not even going touch Bluetooth

If you have a WiFi dongle to get the GO2 onto a network, you can switch it become an Access Point so *any* wifi device can connect to your for TCP/IP Network play (to play Duke, Quake3, whatever)
Plus then you also have the option of using your GO2 as a portable storage device with all the extra space on your SD Card using a PirateBox install.
Plus if someone doesn't have the game you both want to play, they can share your copy.

It then becomes the ultimate camping trip/on the go (no pun intended) accessory to play games, mp3, video, LAN play in the woods, shared library shelf, portable BBS & IRC server, etc.

Just a thought. MG.

kelbot

Unread post by kelbot » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 am

meveric wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:11 am
kelbot wrote:
Is there a technical reason why you couldn't?
The PCB and connectors are already listed here in the forums and on the HardKernel website.
Where do you want to "hack in" an ethernet port?
It's not like you can glue in a connector and it works.
kelbot wrote:
If that's true then why make a bunch of silly arguments against the concept throughout this whole post rather than saying that from the beginning?
I guess no one really took that comment of yours serious that you actually wanted to create a new connection out of nowhere.
Also that is what @rooted did (check his second reply) but it seems you completely ignored that comment.
no
Come on now. No need to be condescending about this. I never suggested creating it out of nowhere and nobody that responded gave any details or reason that it wouldn't be possible. Just, uh...you can't do that because there's not ethernet chipset built in. No further discussion about it. People have added ethernet interfaces to the pi zero with a little addon board over SPI.

I never said it would be easy or that everyone should do it. It clearly says it's an idea in the title. But, since nobody is interested in friendly discussion I'm out. Have fun talking to yourselves.

Return to “General Topics”