Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post Reply
User avatar
carlalex
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by carlalex »

I'm new to having an ODroid (an N2+), but I still have a problem with a black screen after a reboot, even after updating to the latest Petitboot. It's possible my issue is with the OS I am running. The problem I have is that on reboots I will get the HardKernel splash screen, and then when the OS loads (and presumabely switches the display to the video mode it wants), the display goes dark. The OS in question is the latest version of CoreELEC running from the eMMC.

A few data points I have figured out:
- When the OS boots blank like this, the OS is still up just fine. I can SSH into the machine.
- Furthermore, in this state simply unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in brings the display to life - no reboot required.
- Finally, this seems to happen when I have CoreELEC configured to 4k@30Hz. It doesn't happen, or doesn't happen as often if I configure the display to 4k@60Hz.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

carlalex wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:29 pm
I'm new to having an ODroid (an N2+), but I still have a problem with a black screen after a reboot, even after updating to the latest Petitboot. It's possible my issue is with the OS I am running. The problem I have is that on reboots I will get the HardKernel splash screen, and then when the OS loads (and presumabely switches the display to the video mode it wants), the display goes dark. The OS in question is the latest version of CoreELEC running from the eMMC.

A few data points I have figured out:
- When the OS boots blank like this, the OS is still up just fine. I can SSH into the machine.
- Furthermore, in this state simply unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in brings the display to life - no reboot required.
- Finally, this seems to happen when I have CoreELEC configured to 4k@30Hz. It doesn't happen, or doesn't happen as often if I configure the display to 4k@60Hz.
Can you test with 1080P display device?
Also, you could try after changing the value of "setenv hpd" in boot.ini or config.ini. When the problem persist whatever you try, please share the output of "cat /proc/cmdline" after sshing to CoreELEC.

I've reported that some 4K display devices are not display with the Petitboot...don't know why yet.

User avatar
carlalex
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by carlalex »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:18 pm
carlalex wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:29 pm
I'm new to having an ODroid (an N2+), but I still have a problem with a black screen after a reboot, even after updating to the latest Petitboot. It's possible my issue is with the OS I am running. The problem I have is that on reboots I will get the HardKernel splash screen, and then when the OS loads (and presumabely switches the display to the video mode it wants), the display goes dark. The OS in question is the latest version of CoreELEC running from the eMMC.

A few data points I have figured out:
- When the OS boots blank like this, the OS is still up just fine. I can SSH into the machine.
- Furthermore, in this state simply unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in brings the display to life - no reboot required.
- Finally, this seems to happen when I have CoreELEC configured to 4k@30Hz. It doesn't happen, or doesn't happen as often if I configure the display to 4k@60Hz.
Can you test with 1080P display device?
Also, you could try after changing the value of "setenv hpd" in boot.ini or config.ini. When the problem persist whatever you try, please share the output of "cat /proc/cmdline" after sshing to CoreELEC.

I've reported that some 4K display devices are not display with the Petitboot...don't know why yet.
Petitboot 20201020
CoreELEC 9.2.4.2
Display: BenQ BL2711U (I'm not sure if I own a device that maxes out at 1080p anymore)

4k@60Hz
  • Reboot displays fine.
4k@30Hz
  • Reboot display is dark after CoreELEC starts
  • comes back when HDMI unplugged, re-plugged.
  • /proc/cmdline:

    Code: Select all

    BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=1408-0535 disk=UUID=77b1baa0-aff7-4535-8cc7-5ee078354ed0 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend     remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=2160p30hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=2160p30hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet  systemd.show_status=auto
1080p@60Hz
  • Reboot displays fine.
1080p@24Hz
  • Reboot displays fine.
I don't understand your instructions regarding "setenv hpd". Set it to what? (the file system with boot.ini and config.ini is normally a read only file system on CoreELEC)

If this is something I should report to coreELEC, I will. This thread was just the first thing that turns up when I searched around for "coreELEC N2 black screen".

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

carlalex wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:43 am
Petitboot 20201020
CoreELEC 9.2.4.2
Display: BenQ BL2711U (I'm not sure if I own a device that maxes out at 1080p anymore)

4k@60Hz
  • Reboot displays fine.
4k@30Hz
  • Reboot display is dark after CoreELEC starts
  • comes back when HDMI unplugged, re-plugged.
  • /proc/cmdline:

    Code: Select all

    BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=1408-0535 disk=UUID=77b1baa0-aff7-4535-8cc7-5ee078354ed0 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend     remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=2160p30hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=2160p30hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet  systemd.show_status=auto
1080p@60Hz
  • Reboot displays fine.
1080p@24Hz
  • Reboot displays fine.
I don't understand your instructions regarding "setenv hpd". Set it to what? (the file system with boot.ini and config.ini is normally a read only file system on CoreELEC)

If this is something I should report to coreELEC, I will. This thread was just the first thing that turns up when I searched around for "coreELEC N2 black screen".
Thank you for the testing, please ignore the instruction to set hpd. I thought it's persist but not able to find from the new version. Not sure if it's removed or I am confusing.

Does the display issue of 4k@30Hz only happens when booting with the Petitboot? Does not happen when the boot select switch is at MMC?

User avatar
carlalex
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by carlalex »

It happens when booting from the MMC.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

carlalex wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:18 pm
It happens when booting from the MMC.
If it happens all the time regardless of booting from the Petitboot or not, I think you should share your issue with CoreELEC team. I will also see the issue from the forum.

User avatar
carlalex
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by carlalex »

Thanks!.

Andy13
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:47 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid N2 4GB
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Andy13 »

Hi folks
I followed up a while ago this threat, but I don't believe that the new firmware version 20201020 for Petitboot solve the problem of black screen by using SPI.

Here my following scenarios:

Scenario A:
1. Installed and assembled current Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS (v3.0) Release Date 2020-07-16 on emmc
2. SPI DIP Switch off
3. Power On -> configuration starts as expected successfully :-)

Scenario B:
1. Installed and assembled current Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS (v3.0) Release Date 2020-07-16 on emmc
2. Updated SPI according last update Petitboot (dev.20201020)
2. SPI DIP Switch ON
3. Power On and SPI starts as expected :-)
4. Select the appropriate entry in the configuration to start Ubuntu -> black screen :-(

My investigation under the usage of UART not brought me any further, even the comparison of the record scenario A & scenario B. According the log files in scenario B Ubuntu was started but not visible (black screen).

Maybe you guys have an idea what is going wrong here.

BTW: The proposal to switch off the auto-detection or change the resolution in the config.ini file did not work and was ending in the result of black screen. :-(

Cheers
Andy
Attachments
2020.31.10.20.11-odroid n2 start SPI ubuntu-not-successful-2.txt
(90.82 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
2020.31.10.20.11-odroid n2 start SPI ubuntu-not-successful-1.txt
(90.61 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
2020.31.10.16.27-odroid n2 start emmc ubuntu.txt
(86.01 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

mad_ady
Posts: 8835
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 586 times
Been thanked: 531 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mad_ady »

Hmm, I'm trying to run pb-update on my N2+. I have android on the emmc. The pb-update command says

Code: Select all

wait for /dev/mtd0...
target device /dev/mtd0 is missing
And it can't do the update. Is this because the emmc is plugged in and SPI and EMMC can't live together?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:06 pm
Hmm, I'm trying to run pb-update on my N2+. I have android on the emmc. The pb-update command says

Code: Select all

wait for /dev/mtd0...
target device /dev/mtd0 is missing
And it can't do the update. Is this because the emmc is plugged in and SPI and EMMC can't live together?
Probably not, since you are already booted to the Petitboot from SPI flash memory and this memory is presented ad /dev/mtd0. What's the current Petitboot version?

mad_ady
Posts: 8835
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 586 times
Been thanked: 531 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mad_ady »

Too late :) I couldn't easily see the version because of the screen's overscan, but I removed the EMMC and rebooted and I could do pb-update and it updated without issues. It was the original petitboot that ships with N2+.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
tobetter (Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:36 pm)

Sav
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:33 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-n2
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 22 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Sav »

Hi folks.
After a very long time I was able to update my n2.
I switched from ubuntu to arch (I became addicted to the "rolling release" idea) and installed the latest gnome image from jgmedv, with panfrost drivers.
I have now android on emmc and linux on sd card, with the latest petitboot.
With this setup, and the switch on spi, I'm unable to have a screen output booting the linux image. I think the problem is related to the latest u-boot and kernel (5.8.x). I also noticed that the boot.ini file is radically different from the one I was used to, in which I could force the resolution to 1080p@60hz.
I tried the kernel parameter "video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60" , but the issue still remains.
Without the emmc anth the switch on emmc, the sd card boots just fine with the video output.
Any Ideas?
thanks

Psiborg
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:18 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+ 4GB
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Psiborg »

I found my hdmi cable to be the perpetrator of this exact problem. Remember, no adapters to the screen either, most make it so petitboot will not be on the display, but will be running. It was an older hdmi cable, maybe only rated for 1.0, try and new cable from the N2+ to and HDMI 1.1, 1.2, or 2.0 port (preferably the 2.0) Now to be clear the old cable displayed running OS's just fine, but not petitboot screen. I want to repeat, NO ADAPTERS TO SWITCH TO DIFFERENT CONNECTOR. That is a guaranteed no petitboot screen in my direct experience.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

Psiborg wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:17 pm
I found my hdmi cable to be the perpetrator of this exact problem. Remember, no adapters to the screen either, most make it so petitboot will not be on the display, but will be running. It was an older hdmi cable, maybe only rated for 1.0, try and new cable from the N2+ to and HDMI 1.1, 1.2, or 2.0 port (preferably the 2.0) Now to be clear the old cable displayed running OS's just fine, but not petitboot screen. I want to repeat, NO ADAPTERS TO SWITCH TO DIFFERENT CONNECTOR. That is a guaranteed no petitboot screen in my direct experience.
So you are saying you can't see the Petitboot screen, can boot and see running OS? Can you let me know the brand/model of your display? Also can you share the output of "cat /proc/cmdline" in the running OS?

Psiborg
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:18 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+ 4GB
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Psiborg »

Yep, got this to happen on two old pre hmdi monitors, though 1 isn't here right now. The one I am giving info for is ViewSonic VX2450WM-LED, this important part is it's only got DVI and VGA outputs. On my Viotek GNV32DB no such problem exists, being new :)
Hooked up the offending ViewSonic with hmdi-to-vga adapter. Using hdmi-dvi got a bugged display flashing on and off but black, though I could SSH into the N2+ and it booted fine.
Output from "cat /proc/cmdline": root=UUID=0a23f9ca-2ec5-45b5-bcce-7f3376f17550 rootwait ro quiet console=tty1 cma=800m clk_ignore_unused console=ttyS0, 115200n8
I want to stress I really think this is an old monitor output compatibility issue, pc's have done odd shit with it in the past as well.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

Psiborg wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:57 pm
Yep, got this to happen on two old pre hmdi monitors, though 1 isn't here right now. The one I am giving info for is ViewSonic VX2450WM-LED, this important part is it's only got DVI and VGA outputs. On my Viotek GNV32DB no such problem exists, being new :)
Hooked up the offending ViewSonic with hmdi-to-vga adapter. Using hdmi-dvi got a bugged display flashing on and off but black, though I could SSH into the N2+ and it booted fine.
Output from "cat /proc/cmdline": root=UUID=0a23f9ca-2ec5-45b5-bcce-7f3376f17550 rootwait ro quiet console=tty1 cma=800m clk_ignore_unused console=ttyS0, 115200n8
I want to stress I really think this is an old monitor output compatibility issue, pc's have done odd shit with it in the past as well.
Thanks for the info. It might the Petitboot issue that it does not work with old DVI/VGA display. I already got mutilple complains about the same issue but not properly fixed yet. Other issues are being resolved time to time.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

Sav wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:44 pm
Hi folks.
After a very long time I was able to update my n2.
I switched from ubuntu to arch (I became addicted to the "rolling release" idea) and installed the latest gnome image from jgmedv, with panfrost drivers.
I have now android on emmc and linux on sd card, with the latest petitboot.
Sad, you are leaving Ubuntu...that's ok...even Ubuntu is not my primary OS distro. :)
With this setup, and the switch on spi, I'm unable to have a screen output booting the linux image. I think the problem is related to the latest u-boot and kernel (5.8.x). I also noticed that the boot.ini file is radically different from the one I was used to, in which I could force the resolution to 1080p@60hz.
I guess you are seeing the different boot.ini for 4.9 based OS and 5.x, they are quite different since kernel custom features are quite different.
I tried the kernel parameter "video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60" , but the issue still remains.
Without the emmc anth the switch on emmc, the sd card boots just fine with the video output.
Any Ideas?
thanks
After Petitboot, are you able to see that Linux (Arch) boots properly but the video output does not work?
Can you share the brand/model of your display and share the output cat /proc/cmdline?

Psiborg
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:18 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+ 4GB
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Psiborg »

Happy to help, I would say fixing the vga/dvi issue is waaaaayyy down the list on important stuff :)

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

@mad_ady and @Psiborg,

Would you please test the new version if it works with your old DVI monitor? Download the image and copy the file to the first partition of your SD card as spiboot.img and attach to your ODROID-N2/Plus. Make sure the boot select switch is at SPI before power on.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201110.img

When the Petitboot start, it scans the file and will start updating instantly and reboot once SPI flash memory is updated. In case if your display does not support 1080p, please create the file petitboot.cfg in the first partition of your SD card as well.

Code: Select all

[u-boot]
hdmimode=1024x768p60hz
The new image is only to see if the Petitboot will work with DVI monitor, nothing more than the previous version 20201020. I wish this version works, then I would be able to release new version with minor fixes.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
jonathon (Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:12 am)

jonathon
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jonathon »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:57 am
Download the image and copy the file to the first partition of your SD card as spiboot.img and attach to your ODROID-N2/Plus.
I'm using an Armbian image* and it has a single ext4 partition. Where should spiboot.img go? Directly under / or inside /boot ?

*on an SD card, eMMC has ALARM


EDIT: Never mind, worked when it was placed under / .

With spiboot-20201110.img and a petitboot.cfg I can see an SPI menu for the first time! 🥳

Edit 2: works with an SD card, trying now to get it to pick up the petitboot.cfg from the eMMC...
Last edited by jonathon on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.9 - Desktop use
<sangy>,"jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back"

jd637
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:21 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jd637 »

Hi, I just recently purchased my first Odroid (an N2+), and I was able to successfully setup a basic dual-boot using Petitboot with LineageOS on a 16GB eMMC and CoreElec on a 256 GB uSD. It's working great, but now I would like to also add EmuElec OS to the mix for a triple-boot setup. Sorry, but I can't seem to figure out the best/easiest/smartest way to achieve this...
  1. Is it possible to put all three OS's on the 16GB eMMC? Not sure if they'd even fit.
  2. Or would it be simpler to just keep the eMMC as-is with LineageOS and use the uSD for the other two OS's?
  3. Could I then create an additional partition on the uSD that could be shared storage across all three OS's? Or does Android need a different type of file system?
Info to consider:
  • I would primarily need the storage for my game collection that would be played with EmuElec
  • I only use Android for cloud gaming (Geforce NOW), so there is not much need for storage beyond the OS.
  • I store my movie collection on a separate NAS, so CoreElec doesn't need a lot of space
Thanks in advance for the guidance.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

jonathon wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:25 am
tobetter wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:57 am
Download the image and copy the file to the first partition of your SD card as spiboot.img and attach to your ODROID-N2/Plus.
I'm using an Armbian image* and it has a single ext4 partition. Where should spiboot.img go? Directly under / or inside /boot ?

*on an SD card, eMMC has ALARM


EDIT: Never mind, worked when it was placed under / .

With spiboot-20201110.img and a petitboot.cfg I can see an SPI menu for the first time! 🥳

Edit 2: works with an SD card, trying now to get it to pick up the petitboot.cfg from the eMMC...
Congratulation!!! I have not thought of you to test, but voluteerly you made it. Thanks a lot...I could release new image sometime soon. You should not try to create the fie petitboot.cfg in eMMC, since it will be picked from SD card only.

By the way, for your display, did you make the petitboot.cfg in SD card with certain values for a resolution?

jonathon
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jonathon »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:34 am
Congratulation!!! I have not thought of you to test, but voluteerly you made it. Thanks a lot...I could release new image sometime soon.
I got my N2+ only very recently so I'm fairly new to ARM-based systems. I'm a long-time contributor to other Linux-based projects though. ;)
tobetter wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:34 am
You should not try to create the fie petitboot.cfg in eMMC, since it will be picked from SD card only.
OK, cool. I guess picking up a config from eMMC is out of scope? Is there another way of setting a default resolution?
tobetter wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:34 am
By the way, for your display, did you make the petitboot.cfg in SD card with certain values for a resolution?
Yes, I have a 1680x1050 monitor (HDMI->DVI) which showed no SPI boot output previously, now it says "out of range" without the cfg, and setting to 1024x768p60hz gives me a display.
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.9 - Desktop use
<sangy>,"jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back"

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

jonathon wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:10 am
tobetter wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:34 am
Congratulation!!! I have not thought of you to test, but voluteerly you made it. Thanks a lot...I could release new image sometime soon.
I got my N2+ only very recently so I'm fairly new to ARM-based systems. I'm a long-time contributor to other Linux-based projects though. ;)
tobetter wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:34 am
You should not try to create the fie petitboot.cfg in eMMC, since it will be picked from SD card only.
OK, cool. I guess picking up a config from eMMC is out of scope? Is there another way of setting a default resolution?
tobetter wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:34 am
By the way, for your display, did you make the petitboot.cfg in SD card with certain values for a resolution?
Yes, I have a 1680x1050 monitor (HDMI->DVI) which showed no SPI boot output previously, now it says "out of range" without the cfg, and setting to 1024x768p60hz gives me a display.
Ok, Welcom to ODROID!

For your default resolution, if your display works with "1024x768p60hz" from the petitboot.cfg, please do run this command after selecting "Exit to shell".

Code: Select all

# fw_setenv hdmimode 1024x768p60hz
# fw_printenv hdmimode
Once you confirm the value is correct, remove SD card and reboot your N2. New resolution will be applied permanantly unless SPI data partition is corrupted.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
jonathon (Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:34 am)

jonathon
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jonathon »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:17 am
For your default resolution, if your display works with "1024x768p60hz" from the petitboot.cfg, please do run this command after selecting "Exit to shell".

Code: Select all

# fw_setenv hdmimode 1024x768p60hz
# fw_printenv hdmimode
Once you confirm the value is correct, remove SD card and reboot your N2. New resolution will be applied permanantly unless SPI data partition is corrupted.
Thank you! This doesn't seem to help in my case - I have set this value (and I also tried `fw_setenv outputmode 1024x768p60hz` in case that might be needed) but I still get an "out of range" signal when I boot without the SD card which has the petitboot.cfg.

Is there something else I can try, e.g. should I flash the SPI recovery image?
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.9 - Desktop use
<sangy>,"jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back"

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

jonathon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:45 am
tobetter wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:17 am
For your default resolution, if your display works with "1024x768p60hz" from the petitboot.cfg, please do run this command after selecting "Exit to shell".

Code: Select all

# fw_setenv hdmimode 1024x768p60hz
# fw_printenv hdmimode
Once you confirm the value is correct, remove SD card and reboot your N2. New resolution will be applied permanantly unless SPI data partition is corrupted.
Thank you! This doesn't seem to help in my case - I have set this value (and I also tried `fw_setenv outputmode 1024x768p60hz` in case that might be needed) but I still get an "out of range" signal when I boot without the SD card which has the petitboot.cfg.

Is there something else I can try, e.g. should I flash the SPI recovery image?
If the Petitboot still can start, you do not need to use the recovery image.
Do you see '1024x768p60hz' with the command fw_printenv hdmimode?
Do you have USB-to-SERIAL debugging board?

jonathon
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jonathon »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 am
Do you see '1024x768p60hz' with the command fw_printenv hdmimode?
Confirm, yes.
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 am
Do you have USB-to-SERIAL debugging board?
No. :( I didn't order one at the time, though I realise now I should have! :D

I'll see if there's anything else I want to order from odroid.co.uk as £6 shipping on a £15 cable seems a little steep... :shock:

(Unless a generic "USB-UART" adapter from eBay will work... 🤔)
Last edited by jonathon on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.9 - Desktop use
<sangy>,"jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back"

woodyl
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:04 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid N2
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by woodyl »

I'm using petitboot 20201020 with Arch Linux. When I run fw_printenv, I get this:

Code: Select all

sudo fw_printenv
Cannot parse config file '/etc/fw_env.config': Invalid argument
Do I need to add a parameter to fw_env.config to make this work or is there some other issue?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

jonathon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:16 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 am
Do you see '1024x768p60hz' with the command fw_printenv hdmimode?
Confirm, yes.
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 am
Do you have USB-to-SERIAL debugging board?
No. :( I didn't order one at the time, though I realise now I should have! :D

I'll see if there's anything else I want to order from odroid.co.uk as £6 shipping on a £15 cable seems a little steep... :shock:
Can we try this for sure...?

Code: Select all

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
<REBOOT>
# fw_setenv hdmimode 1024x768p60hz
<REBOOT after removing SD card>

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

woodyl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:21 am
I'm using petitboot 20201020 with Arch Linux. When I run fw_printenv, I get this:

Code: Select all

sudo fw_printenv
Cannot parse config file '/etc/fw_env.config': Invalid argument
Do I need to add a parameter to fw_env.config to make this work or is there some other issue?
I think you run the command from Arch Linux, not the Petitboot?

jonathon
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jonathon »

woodyl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:21 am
Do I need to add a parameter to fw_env.config to make this work or is there some other issue?
Yes, you'll need to set a device and offset for the N2 within `/etc/fw_env.config`. What the correct values are, however...
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.9 - Desktop use
<sangy>,"jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back"

jonathon
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jonathon »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 am
Can we try this for sure...?

Code: Select all

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
<REBOOT>
...
SPI is now not booting, with SPI boot selected I get a solid blue LED and no other activity (display stays in standby, no timeout and boot from SD). I can still boot to Armbian on the SD if I select eMMC boot.

Either I'm not waiting long enough or I may need to re-flash... ?

Edit: gave it 10 minutes, I don't think it's doing anything in the background, still solid blue... :D
Last edited by jonathon on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.9 - Desktop use
<sangy>,"jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back"

woodyl
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:04 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid N2
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by woodyl »

jonathon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:31 am
woodyl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:21 am
Do I need to add a parameter to fw_env.config to make this work or is there some other issue?
Yes, you'll need to set a device and offset for the N2 within `/etc/fw_env.config`. What the correct values are, however...
Hmm. I would expect the mmc device to be /dev/mtd or something similar, but that device doesn't exist. Do you know what the device name should be?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

jonathon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:43 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 am
Can we try this for sure...?

Code: Select all

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
<REBOOT>
...
SPI is now not booting, with SPI boot selected I get a solid blue LED and no other activity (display stays in standby, no timeout and boot from SD). I can still boot to Armbian on the SD if I select eMMC boot.

Either I'm not waiting long enough or I may need to re-flash... ?
Really sorry this happens, but it's odd since the command I gave you is just to erase the U-boot env partition. :(
Would you please reflash the SPI flash memory with the recovery image?
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201110.img

This time, you have to flash the image to SD card and boot from it after removing eMMC.
Really sorry about this.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

woodyl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:51 am
jonathon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:31 am
woodyl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:21 am
Do I need to add a parameter to fw_env.config to make this work or is there some other issue?
Yes, you'll need to set a device and offset for the N2 within `/etc/fw_env.config`. What the correct values are, however...
Hmm. I would expect the mmc device to be /dev/mtd or something similar, but that device doesn't exist. Do you know what the device name should be?
Are you in Arch Linux or the Petitboot?
If you are in Arch Linux, you cannot access SPI flash memory.

woodyl
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:04 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid N2
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by woodyl »

I'm in Arch. That explains it. Thanks.

jonathon
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jonathon »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 am
Really sorry this happens, but it's odd since the command I gave you is just to erase the U-boot env partition. :(
Would you please reflash the SPI flash memory with the recovery image?
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201110.img

This time, you have to flash the image to SD card and boot from it after removing eMMC.
Really sorry about this.
Hmm. I'm not sure what my board is doing... I can re-flash, apparently successfully, with spiupdate_odroidn2_20201110.img (and the display even works during the process). I can reboot with the recovery SD inserted (and eMMC boot mode selected) and the "Petitboot dev.20201110" menu will show up. If I power off and select SPI boot then when I power on I get a solid blue LED and nothing else happens. :?
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.9 - Desktop use
<sangy>,"jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back"

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

jonathon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:28 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 am
Really sorry this happens, but it's odd since the command I gave you is just to erase the U-boot env partition. :(
Would you please reflash the SPI flash memory with the recovery image?
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201110.img

This time, you have to flash the image to SD card and boot from it after removing eMMC.
Really sorry about this.
Hmm. I'm not sure what my board is doing... I can re-flash, apparently successfully, with spiupdate_odroidn2_20201110.img (and the display even works during the process). I can reboot with the recovery SD inserted (and eMMC boot mode selected) and the "Petitboot dev.20201110" menu will show up. If I power off and select SPI boot then when I power on I get a solid blue LED and nothing else happens. :?
Very odd......I hope your board is not damaged anyway. The solid blue LED means your N2 stops at U-boot because of unexpected error. I am not sure what it is at the moment. I think you would try the previous version to recover the SPI flash memory.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201020.img

jonathon
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jonathon »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:46 am
Very odd......I hope your board is not damaged anyway. The solid blue LED means your N2 stops at U-boot because of unexpected error. I am not sure what it is at the moment.
This is one of the reasons I bought an SBC - fixing software-related things is too easy... ;)

Although, I don't think I can make a warranty claim for this so I hope I can fix it at some point... :D
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:46 am
I think you would try the previous version to recover the SPI flash memory.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201020.img
I've tried flashing back and forth a couple of times between spiupdate_odroidn2_20201020.img and spiupdate_odroidn2_20201110.img . With either one, having SPI boot selected leaves me with a solid blue LED.

(I've also tried leaving it powered off for a while, as well as removing the RTC battery (just in case it helped reset something) - no difference.)
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.9 - Desktop use
<sangy>,"jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back"

mad_ady
Posts: 8835
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 586 times
Been thanked: 531 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mad_ady »

The switch is in the emmc position when booting the recovery image, right? Can you connect it to a hdmi screen?
@tobetter if he boots an os from sdcard, couldn't he reflash the spi from there manually?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

mad_ady wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:27 am
The switch is in the emmc position when booting the recovery image, right? Can you connect it to a hdmi screen?
@tobetter if he boots an os from sdcard, couldn't he reflash the spi from there manually?
I don't think any OS except the Petitboot does have the SPI flash device node entry.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

jonathon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:58 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:46 am
Very odd......I hope your board is not damaged anyway. The solid blue LED means your N2 stops at U-boot because of unexpected error. I am not sure what it is at the moment.
This is one of the reasons I bought an SBC - fixing software-related things is too easy... ;)

Although, I don't think I can make a warranty claim for this so I hope I can fix it at some point... :D
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:46 am
I think you would try the previous version to recover the SPI flash memory.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201020.img
I've tried flashing back and forth a couple of times between spiupdate_odroidn2_20201020.img and spiupdate_odroidn2_20201110.img . With either one, having SPI boot selected leaves me with a solid blue LED.

(I've also tried leaving it powered off for a while, as well as removing the RTC battery (just in case it helped reset something) - no difference.)
When you can boot with the SPI recovery image and can have the Petitboot screen, can you please do these commands and try to run fresh recovery image? These commands will erase 4 partitions in SPI flash memory (8MB).

Code: Select all

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
# flash_eraseall /dev/mdt3
Also can you make sure eMMC memory card is removed while SPI flash is being updated? It's not mandatory, just in case...
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
jonathon (Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:49 am)

jonathon
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jonathon »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:44 am
When you can boot with the SPI recovery image and can have the Petitboot screen, can you please do these commands and try to run fresh recovery image? These commands will erase 4 partitions in SPI flash memory (8MB).

Code: Select all

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
# flash_eraseall /dev/mdt3
Awesome! Back up-and-running. I erased, flashed back to 20201020 (SPI boot flashed blue), flashed to 20201110 (SPI boot flashed blue, display out-of-range), booted using the Armbian SD and used `fw_setenv hdmimode 1024x768p60hz` again, rebooted, and everything is now working correctly. SPI boot is working, and will display something useful on my monitor!

🥳🥳🥳

(So, possibly I had an incomplete SPI flash at some point, or there was some corrupt/leftover data in one of the MTD partitions...)
These users thanked the author jonathon for the post:
tobetter (Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:23 am)
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.9 - Desktop use
<sangy>,"jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back"

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

jonathon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:20 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:44 am
When you can boot with the SPI recovery image and can have the Petitboot screen, can you please do these commands and try to run fresh recovery image? These commands will erase 4 partitions in SPI flash memory (8MB).

Code: Select all

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
# flash_eraseall /dev/mdt3
Awesome! Back up-and-running. I erased, flashed back to 20201020 (SPI boot flashed blue), flashed to 20201110 (SPI boot flashed blue, display out-of-range), booted using the Armbian SD and used `fw_setenv hdmimode 1024x768p60hz` again, rebooted, and everything is now working correctly. SPI boot is working, and will display something useful on my monitor!

🥳🥳🥳

(So, possibly I had an incomplete SPI flash at some point, or there was some corrupt/leftover data in one of the MTD partitions...)
Thanks, for some reason SPI flash memory is corrupted or bad luck, probably /dev/mtd3 was incomplete... Anyway, glad to know it's working now...

By the way, did you run fw_setenv command from Armbian OS?

jonathon
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by jonathon »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:26 am
By the way, did you run fw_setenv command from Armbian OS?
No, sorry, that wasn't clear: from within the u-boot console. I booted to SPI using the Armbian SD to provide petitboot.cfg so I had a working display output.
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.9 - Desktop use
<sangy>,"jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back"

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

jonathon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:49 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:26 am
By the way, did you run fw_setenv command from Armbian OS?
No, sorry, that wasn't clear: from within the u-boot console. I booted to SPI using the Armbian SD to provide petitboot.cfg so I had a working display output.
That's clear. If SPI flash memory can be accessible from a generic OS, it would provides the reduced performance of eMMC I/O. So I don't want any OS to access SPI flash memory unless it's intended.

Anyway, thanks for testing...and your help convince me what to do for the next version and explain how much I am idiot. Hope to update new Petitboot by Sunday.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
jonathon (Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:17 pm)

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

WANTED:
I've uploaded a test version of the Petitboot, and appreciate anyone test the image if it works with a "DVI" monitor.

The major change is that "DVI" monitor feature is improved and made the display resolution for the Petitboot menu is limited up to 1024x768, so the menu can be more readable on a high resolution display device. Here is the download link, copy the file as spiboot.img to SD card and power up as always.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201112.img
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
jonathon (Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:59 pm)

mad_ady
Posts: 8835
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 586 times
Been thanked: 531 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mad_ady »

I hope to give it a try today. Sadly been busy :(
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
tobetter (Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:45 pm)

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6642
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:29 pm
I hope to give it a try today. Sadly been busy :(
No hurry, whenever you are free... :D

mad_ady
Posts: 8835
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 586 times
Been thanked: 531 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mad_ady »

Yes! It worked without me setting any resolution/dvi information! It's running in 1024x768.
I haven't tested it with a HDMI monitor though (so that it doesn't break anything).

Great job! I hope you port the changes to the C4 branch as well!

Edit: But wait - it doesn't see the OS on my EMMC (it's HK Ubuntu 20.04)!

Edit 2:

Code: Select all

/ # ls -l /dev/mmcblk0*
brw-------    1 0        0         179,   0 Jan  1 00:00 /dev/mmcblk0
brw-------    1 0        0         179,  32 Jan  1 00:00 /dev/mmcblk0boot0
brw-------    1 0        0         179,  64 Jan  1 00:00 /dev/mmcblk0boot1
brw-------    1 0        0         179,   1 Jan  1 00:00 /dev/mmcblk0p1
brw-------    1 0        0         179,   2 Jan  1 00:00 /dev/mmcblk0p2
brw-------    1 0        0         179,  96 Jan  1 00:00 /dev/mmcblk0rpmb
/ # mount 
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1904748k,nr_inodes=476187,mode=755)
/ # blkid
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859"
/dev/mmcblk0p1: LABEL="BOOT" UUID="F702-39CB"

EMMC boots normally when in the EMMC position.
The latest production petitboot sees the emmc just fine.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
jonathon (Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:59 pm)

Post Reply

Return to “Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest