Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post Reply
dm2912
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by dm2912 »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 am
dm2912 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:09 am
I am having the same issue with black screen on booting with switch set to spi on the n2+. Have tried multiple versions of Petitboot (20201222, 20201112, and 20201020).

With both CoreElec and EmuElec, its driving me nuts :D

Have tried:

1) boot.ini (coreelec) - switching autodetect to both true and false, switching between 1080p50/60

2) petitboot.cfg - suggested elsewhere, tried booting sp1 with that on sd card and appeared to do nothing.

Code: Select all

hdmimode=1080p60hz
vga=1080p60hz
Also tried 720, 480, and it didn't seem to have any effect, it didnt even change the resolution of petitboot :S

3) full recovery flash of petitboot as per this post, but the original 2019 one flat out refused to flash. did a full recovery flash from 082020 but that didnt help

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&p=316318&hi ... en#p316318
Can you share the vendor/model of your display?
What OS are you running other than CoreELEC?
Luxor 32" 1920x1080 50hz - Model LUX 0132010/02

Running Emuelec on emmc, Coreelec on SD

Both are fine from regular boot, its purely in SPI mode i get black screens when trying to boot either. They do boot in the background, just no display.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:23 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 am
dm2912 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:09 am
I am having the same issue with black screen on booting with switch set to spi on the n2+. Have tried multiple versions of Petitboot (20201222, 20201112, and 20201020).

With both CoreElec and EmuElec, its driving me nuts :D

Have tried:

1) boot.ini (coreelec) - switching autodetect to both true and false, switching between 1080p50/60

2) petitboot.cfg - suggested elsewhere, tried booting sp1 with that on sd card and appeared to do nothing.

Code: Select all

hdmimode=1080p60hz
vga=1080p60hz
Also tried 720, 480, and it didn't seem to have any effect, it didnt even change the resolution of petitboot :S

3) full recovery flash of petitboot as per this post, but the original 2019 one flat out refused to flash. did a full recovery flash from 082020 but that didnt help

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&p=316318&hi ... en#p316318
Can you share the vendor/model of your display?
What OS are you running other than CoreELEC?
Luxor 32" 1920x1080 50hz - Model LUX 0132010/02

Running Emuelec on emmc, Coreelec on SD

Both are fine from regular boot, its purely in SPI mode i get black screens when trying to boot either. They do boot in the background, just no display.
Can you try sshing to any of them and let me have the output of the command cat /proc/cmdline after booting in SPI mode? Also good to have the same output when booted in regular mode.

dm2912
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by dm2912 »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 am
dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:23 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 am
dm2912 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:09 am
I am having the same issue with black screen on booting with switch set to spi on the n2+. Have tried multiple versions of Petitboot (20201222, 20201112, and 20201020).

With both CoreElec and EmuElec, its driving me nuts :D

Have tried:

1) boot.ini (coreelec) - switching autodetect to both true and false, switching between 1080p50/60

2) petitboot.cfg - suggested elsewhere, tried booting sp1 with that on sd card and appeared to do nothing.

Code: Select all

hdmimode=1080p60hz
vga=1080p60hz
Also tried 720, 480, and it didn't seem to have any effect, it didnt even change the resolution of petitboot :S

3) full recovery flash of petitboot as per this post, but the original 2019 one flat out refused to flash. did a full recovery flash from 082020 but that didnt help

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&p=316318&hi ... en#p316318
Can you share the vendor/model of your display?
What OS are you running other than CoreELEC?
Luxor 32" 1920x1080 50hz - Model LUX 0132010/02

Running Emuelec on emmc, Coreelec on SD

Both are fine from regular boot, its purely in SPI mode i get black screens when trying to boot either. They do boot in the background, just no display.
Can you try sshing to any of them and let me have the output of the command cat /proc/cmdline after booting in SPI mode? Also good to have the same output when booted in regular mode.
CoreElec

regular:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=2403-0711 disk=UUID=adade1f1-ce4f-4d05-8850-025480bca7ee console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend keymap=us max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet  systemd.show_status=auto
spi:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=2403-0711 disk=UUID=adade1f1-ce4f-4d05-8850-025480bca7ee console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend keymap=us max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet systemd.show_status=auto
EmuElec

regular:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=0802-1801 disk=UUID=6384002b-fe7d-498b-bd8c-0cb85f6e01d8 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet  systemd.show_status=auto
spi:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=0802-1801 disk=UUID=6384002b-fe7d-498b-bd8c-0cb85f6e01d8 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz 
logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet systemd.show_status=auto
that was august 2020 firmware as i have been testing every firmware to see if one sorted the issue

on latest firmware 20201222 (coreelec via spi)

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=2403-0711 disk=UUID=adade1f1-ce4f-4d05-8850-025480bca7ee console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend keymap=us max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet systemd.show_status=auto
Last edited by dm2912 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:42 pm
CoreElec

regular:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=2403-0711 disk=UUID=adade1f1-ce4f-4d05-8850-025480bca7ee console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend keymap=us max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet  systemd.show_status=auto
spi:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=2403-0711 disk=UUID=adade1f1-ce4f-4d05-8850-025480bca7ee console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend keymap=us max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet systemd.show_status=auto
EmuElec

regular:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=0802-1801 disk=UUID=6384002b-fe7d-498b-bd8c-0cb85f6e01d8 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet  systemd.show_status=auto
spi:

Code: Select all

BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=0802-1801 disk=UUID=6384002b-fe7d-498b-bd8c-0cb85f6e01d8 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend max_freq_a53=2016 max_freq_a73=2400   remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff     hdmimode=1080p60hz 
logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0  quiet systemd.show_status=auto
Thank you for sharing...they does not seem to make an issue since they have the same values for both boot mode.
Can you try replug the HDMI cable when the black screen happens with SPI?
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
dm2912 (Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17 pm)

dm2912
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by dm2912 »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
this appears to have solved it in coreelec. (in config.ini)

edit: working with both emuelec and coreelec, thank you muchly.

such a simple solution :')

dm2912
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by dm2912 »

dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:09 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
this appears to have solved it in coreelec. (in config.ini)

edit: working with both emuelec and coreelec, thank you muchly.

such a simple solution :')
tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
Ah no, maybe not.. appears with that uncommented I have no sound

so voutmode='dvi' gets me picture but sound is disabled

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:23 pm
dm2912 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:09 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
this appears to have solved it in coreelec. (in config.ini)

edit: working with both emuelec and coreelec, thank you muchly.

such a simple solution :')
tobetter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm
Also can you try to uncomment the line for voutmode='dvi' if it helps?
Ah no, maybe not.. appears with that uncommented I have no sound

so voutmode='dvi' gets me picture but sound is disabled
I've reached CoreELEC developers and they suggest instruction for the black screen issue. Revert the change voutmode=dvi in config.ini.

1. Boot your CoreELEC without Petitboot, so you will have CoreELEC screen.
2. SSH-ing to CoreELEC to run these commands

Code: Select all

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap > /storage/.kodi/userdata/disp_cap
sync
3. Place the boot select switch to SPI and replug the power cable.

If this works, you can try the same with EmuELEC.

Grendel187
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Grendel187 »

I am having the exact same issue. If my n2+ is set to SPI and I try to boot either my Coreelec on an emmc I get a blank screen with or without my emuelec SD card inserted. the same thing happens if I have just the emuelec sd card inserted by itself as well. If I have it set to mmc and try booting with the mmc or the sd card by themselves they both boot fine. I have done the boot to coreelec and ssh'd running the commands and that did not resolve the issue. I am using petitboot version 20201020. I know they are both functioning as even with a blank screen I can still ssh to them so it does seem to be something with the display changing. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

Grendel187 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:32 am
I am having the exact same issue. If my n2+ is set to SPI and I try to boot either my Coreelec on an emmc I get a blank screen with or without my emuelec SD card inserted. the same thing happens if I have just the emuelec sd card inserted by itself as well. If I have it set to mmc and try booting with the mmc or the sd card by themselves they both boot fine. I have done the boot to coreelec and ssh'd running the commands and that did not resolve the issue. I am using petitboot version 20201020. I know they are both functioning as even with a blank screen I can still ssh to them so it does seem to be something with the display changing. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated
Do you mean you have tried this commands?

Code: Select all

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap > /storage/.kodi/userdata/disp_cap
sync
Can you please share what's the brand/model of your display?

Grendel187
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Grendel187 »

I have tried that command I am using an LG42ld520 1080p TV and a tcl 55r625 4k this will be my main display I have also connected it to a denon x2300w.

tomten
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:05 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tomten »

I'm sometimes (not always) seeing an oops (unable to handle virtual paging request...) using petitboot 20201222 and then networking will not come up.

Since the network doesn't work and the fs isn't persistent I don't have a way to save it.

Edit: I reverted back to 20201020 and I haven't seen the problem.

zyssai
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:42 pm
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid N2+ 2Gb
Vu7a+
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by zyssai »

Hi,
Is there a way to access petitboot without using boot selector switch?
My N2+ is integrated into frame. I have just usb otg cable connected.
Thanks

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 9540
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 604 times
Been thanked: 693 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mad_ady »

No, you have to physically flip the switch to enable the spi rom circuit.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
zyssai (Thu May 06, 2021 1:55 am)

zyssai
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:42 pm
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid N2+ 2Gb
Vu7a+
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by zyssai »

mad_ady wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:42 am
No, you have to physically flip the switch to enable the spi rom circuit.
Thanks you, thought there was a command like fastboot or other stuff.

kaklik
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:15 am
languages_spoken: english, czech
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2
ODROID-U3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by kaklik »

Would it be possible to include this change in the petitboot builds? It enables a default option in kboot.conf.
https://github.com/open-power/petitboot ... 21c5056c93

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

kaklik wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 am
Would it be possible to include this change in the petitboot builds? It enables a default option in kboot.conf.
https://github.com/open-power/petitboot ... 21c5056c93
The patch has been and new test image has been uploaded, so please test if this image works with your boot script.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 210510.img

Download the image and copy it as spiboot.img to the first partition of your SD card. The Petitboot on your N2 will read it and start updating. Please let me know if it works or not.

loznic89
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 8:01 am
languages_spoken: spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid N2
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by loznic89 »

thanks, now petitboot recognize emmc after reboot.

uDude
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 3 U3's,
2 XU3's,
5 C1's,
26 XU4's,
3 HC-1s
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by uDude »

Have some generic Chinese 1080p display (no brand logos) ... just blank. Have never been able to see petitboot display... also only have logitech remote key/mice (k400+) do don't konw if I'd have key access anyway. The rush to gfx kinda kills the keep it simple works everywhere text boot display whick would be nice to have as a config option in any BL.

We Worked at global company where we had serial consoles on 100,000s boxen. gfx BL would have been trashed.

So how to see petit menu w/o lose sound?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

uDude wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:14 am
The rush to gfx kinda kills the keep it simple works everywhere text boot display whick would be nice to have as a config option in any BL.
What does this mean??
So how to see petit menu w/o lose sound?
Basically Petitboot does not support sound anyway.

Can you copy the file petitboot.cfg in the first partition of your SD card and boot with the Petitboot? So you can change the resolution with hdmimode and signal format hdmo or dvi with voutmode.

Code: Select all

[u-boot]
hdmimode=1080p60hz
voutmode=hdmi
disablehpd=true

pepeEL
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:03 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by pepeEL »

ced1442 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:03 am
Hi,
I just bought my odroid N2 for home assistant. My plan was to directly boot hassio from an SSD on USB (emmc too expensive and SD card less robust).
After reading some topics I thought it will be possible with SPI boot and petitboot, but unfortunatly it is not working and I don't understand why..
From what I understant petitboot is mounting the usb drive and then search for boot.ini or boot.scr.
On the root directory /sda1 there is this boot.scr

Code: Select all

root@DietPi:/mnt/B134-8015# ls
boot.scr  cmdline.txt  meson-g12b-odroid-n2-plus.dtb  meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb
If I edit the boot.scr I get this:
[pastebin]https://pastebin.com/R7jQjF39[/pastebin]
Do you know what is wrong and how I can fix that ?

Boot from sd is ok with the same image.

Thanks if you can help
Is any chance to implement support boot HASSOS from SSD on USB ? Where you write topic to developer HASSOS ?

spenge
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:04 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by spenge »

i'm trying to install lineage os to emmc but i'm having challenges with flashing. i'd like to use petiteboot fetaure to make the emmc look like mass memory and connect my odroid to my pc from the micro usb port. i saw one guy do it on youtube.

so i flashed the recovery image and booted from sc card. i saw a message "spiboot found" and petiteboot seemed to proceed installing. after installing i see the petiteboot menu when i boot from sd card but when i flip the switch to SPI and try to boot with emmc connected, nothing happens. I can't boot from SPI at all. Tried with and without sd card and emmc.

any ideas what could fix this? i installed the most recent version to my N2.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:37 am
i'm trying to install lineage os to emmc but i'm having challenges with flashing. i'd like to use petiteboot fetaure to make the emmc look like mass memory and connect my odroid to my pc from the micro usb port. i saw one guy do it on youtube.

so i flashed the recovery image and booted from sc card. i saw a message "spiboot found" and petiteboot seemed to proceed installing. after installing i see the petiteboot menu when i boot from sd card but when i flip the switch to SPI and try to boot with emmc connected, nothing happens. I can't boot from SPI at all. Tried with and without sd card and emmc.

any ideas what could fix this? i installed the most recent version to my N2.
Which version of recovery image did you flash?
Can you try to boot from SPI without eMMC or SD?

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 9540
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 604 times
Been thanked: 693 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mad_ady »

Always remove the power to your board when flipping the switch between SPI/EMMC, otherwise, the switch position doesn't change the boot order.

spenge
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:04 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by spenge »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:35 am
spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:37 am
i'm trying to install lineage os to emmc but i'm having challenges with flashing. i'd like to use petiteboot fetaure to make the emmc look like mass memory and connect my odroid to my pc from the micro usb port. i saw one guy do it on youtube.

so i flashed the recovery image and booted from sc card. i saw a message "spiboot found" and petiteboot seemed to proceed installing. after installing i see the petiteboot menu when i boot from sd card but when i flip the switch to SPI and try to boot with emmc connected, nothing happens. I can't boot from SPI at all. Tried with and without sd card and emmc.

any ideas what could fix this? i installed the most recent version to my N2.
Which version of recovery image did you flash?
Can you try to boot from SPI without eMMC or SD?
First I installed the latest version 20201222 and today I trued with 20201020 but still no luck. It won't boot from SPI with or without emmc or sd in place.

I have turned the device off before flipping the switch. After turning it on in SPI mode not even the backlight of my keyboard lights up. blue and red leds are staying lit on the board when booted in SPI mode.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:29 pm
tobetter wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:35 am
spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:37 am
i'm trying to install lineage os to emmc but i'm having challenges with flashing. i'd like to use petiteboot fetaure to make the emmc look like mass memory and connect my odroid to my pc from the micro usb port. i saw one guy do it on youtube.

so i flashed the recovery image and booted from sc card. i saw a message "spiboot found" and petiteboot seemed to proceed installing. after installing i see the petiteboot menu when i boot from sd card but when i flip the switch to SPI and try to boot with emmc connected, nothing happens. I can't boot from SPI at all. Tried with and without sd card and emmc.

any ideas what could fix this? i installed the most recent version to my N2.
Which version of recovery image did you flash?
Can you try to boot from SPI without eMMC or SD?
First I installed the latest version 20201222 and today I trued with 20201020 but still no luck. It won't boot from SPI with or without emmc or sd in place.

I have turned the device off before flipping the switch. After turning it on in SPI mode not even the backlight of my keyboard lights up.
Are you able to boot the Petitboot from SD card which you had flashed with the recovery image? If so, can you try to run these commands in the command line of the Petitboot and perform the recovery image to flash SPI firmware?

Code: Select all

flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2

spenge
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:04 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by spenge »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:33 pm
spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:29 pm
tobetter wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:35 am
spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:37 am
i'm trying to install lineage os to emmc but i'm having challenges with flashing. i'd like to use petiteboot fetaure to make the emmc look like mass memory and connect my odroid to my pc from the micro usb port. i saw one guy do it on youtube.

so i flashed the recovery image and booted from sc card. i saw a message "spiboot found" and petiteboot seemed to proceed installing. after installing i see the petiteboot menu when i boot from sd card but when i flip the switch to SPI and try to boot with emmc connected, nothing happens. I can't boot from SPI at all. Tried with and without sd card and emmc.

any ideas what could fix this? i installed the most recent version to my N2.
Which version of recovery image did you flash?
Can you try to boot from SPI without eMMC or SD?
First I installed the latest version 20201222 and today I trued with 20201020 but still no luck. It won't boot from SPI with or without emmc or sd in place.

I have turned the device off before flipping the switch. After turning it on in SPI mode not even the backlight of my keyboard lights up.
Are you able to boot the Petitboot from SD card which you had flashed with the recovery image? If so, can you try to run these commands in the command line of the Petitboot and perform the recovery image to flash SPI firmware?

Code: Select all

flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
After running these commands petiteboot starts if I have the SD card in place but now it starts even in SPI mode but not without the SD card... If I connect the emmc and start in SPI mode, the Android OS from the emmc launches...

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 pm
After running these commands petiteboot starts if I have the SD card in place but now it starts even in SPI mode but not without the SD card... If I connect the emmc and start in SPI mode, the Android OS from the emmc launches...
Thses commands are to remove all contents in SPI flash memory, so you have to run the recovery after flashing recovery image to SD card. Your current SD card won't flash the image to SPI again.

spenge
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:04 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by spenge »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:50 pm
spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 pm
After running these commands petiteboot starts if I have the SD card in place but now it starts even in SPI mode but not without the SD card... If I connect the emmc and start in SPI mode, the Android OS from the emmc launches...
Thses commands are to remove all contents in SPI flash memory, so you have to run the recovery after flashing recovery image to SD card. Your current SD card won't flash the image to SPI again.
Ok, now I got it running from SPI! Thank you. But how come win10 doesn't recognise the emmc after running command "ums /dev/mmcblk0"?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:05 pm
tobetter wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:50 pm
spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 pm
After running these commands petiteboot starts if I have the SD card in place but now it starts even in SPI mode but not without the SD card... If I connect the emmc and start in SPI mode, the Android OS from the emmc launches...
Thses commands are to remove all contents in SPI flash memory, so you have to run the recovery after flashing recovery image to SD card. Your current SD card won't flash the image to SPI again.
Ok, now I got it running from SPI! Thank you. But how come win10 doesn't recognise the emmc after running command "ums /dev/mmcblk0"?
Does the OTG USB cable is connected properly?
Do you see USB storage on the control panel?

spenge
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:04 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by spenge »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:12 pm
spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:05 pm
tobetter wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:50 pm
spenge wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 pm
After running these commands petiteboot starts if I have the SD card in place but now it starts even in SPI mode but not without the SD card... If I connect the emmc and start in SPI mode, the Android OS from the emmc launches...
Thses commands are to remove all contents in SPI flash memory, so you have to run the recovery after flashing recovery image to SD card. Your current SD card won't flash the image to SPI again.
Ok, now I got it running from SPI! Thank you. But how come win10 doesn't recognise the emmc after running command "ums /dev/mmcblk0"?
Does the OTG USB cable is connected properly?
Do you see USB storage on the control panel?
I found out that it doesn't work through my USB hub... Connected straight to PC and now it's recognized!

Nuts_
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 4:09 pm
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: XU4, N2
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Nuts_ »

Having HDMI "no signal" problem too - with one of my TV (old LG, not smart, no problem with some PCs monitors)
I can run petitboot, i can see petitboot log, i can see menu and can start something from it - usb or micro sd for example
after start from petitboot i having "no signal" message on my tv. if i turing off my TV (or HDMI input reswitch) i have working OS (Ubuntu, CoreELEC, Androids) . Playing with petitboot.cfg not giving result.
Direct running of MicroSD working well - so its petitboot problem

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

Nuts_ wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:27 pm
Having HDMI "no signal" problem too - with one of my TV (old LG, not smart, no problem with some PCs monitors)
I can run petitboot, i can see petitboot log, i can see menu and can start something from it - usb or micro sd for example
after start from petitboot i having "no signal" message on my tv. if i turing off my TV (or HDMI input reswitch) i have working OS (Ubuntu, CoreELEC, Androids) . Playing with petitboot.cfg not giving result.
Direct running of MicroSD working well - so its petitboot problem
None of OS you have installed does not have a screen?
What are the version of Ubuntu and Android?

Nuts_
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 4:09 pm
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: XU4, N2
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Nuts_ »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:37 pm
What are the version of Ubuntu and Android?
Ubuntu 21.04 via net install viewtopic.php?f=52&t=42300
All androids (Hardkernel, AOSP, Vooodiks Lineages)
CoreELEC
All starting without problems on other monitors via petitboot

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

Nuts_ wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:18 pm
tobetter wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:37 pm
What are the version of Ubuntu and Android?
Ubuntu 21.04 via net install viewtopic.php?f=52&t=42300
All androids (Hardkernel, AOSP, Vooodiks Lineages)
CoreELEC
All starting without problems on other monitors via petitboot
Some display devices have an issue that does not have a picture after Petitboot while it does have when boots from memory card directly.
Workaround for Hardkernel's Android and Ubuntu is to set disablehpd as false in boot.ini, this makes signal regardless display device is connected or not. But still some OS does not work after Petitboot. Please test Ubuntu or Android after chaing disablehpd.

Pawn
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:39 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Pawn »

Hi guys !

This is a really good work! I'm so happy to use Petitboot and I want to add more options. I know how I can achieve that, but I really don't know how you proceed to build petitboot and how you pack the update to an spiboot.img. Someone can help me? It will be very cool !

Thank's !

phaseshifter
Posts: 3586
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,n2+2G and n2 4G
cloudshell I and shell II
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well..vu7 etc..
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 50 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by phaseshifter »

i have often found that this most likely effects t.v sets as opposed to a monitor with a single input socket for the HDMI input..also with sets with multiple inputs one may take the pecking order if you will..also it can be that the set has a fault of types .. also a mismatch between HDMI leads and sockets onthe sets like HDMI standards as in 2.0 bakwards to 1.4 standards..etc..the set can develop leaky capacitors or lose an earth rail ..so many things that most devices just don't matter to them but sbc`s are designer boards so have a much tighter tolerance`s and so on there are many reasons why some sets work out of the box and age of the set plays a big part the sockets slowly over time wear as well..like i said many things that are often not the fault of the sbc it`s self at all try just a single input screen against a set with multiple inputs there more complex circuits on the input drive..etc..etc..@nuts_ and others op`s....@tobetter
2021 aug back from stroke ....bord with rpi`s i know odroids better...!!!

lpy4105
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:31 am
languages_spoken: english,chinese
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by lpy4105 »

Hi,

I wonder if there are limit about the kernel size when using petitboot. I observed that if the kernel size exceed a specific size (around 35 MByte), the kernel would not boot and no log printed in the console.
I'm using ODroid N2+, petitboot version: dev:20200731

Thanks!

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

lpy4105 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am
Hi,

I wonder if there are limit about the kernel size when using petitboot. I observed that if the kernel size exceed a specific size (around 35 MByte), the kernel would not boot and no log printed in the console.
I'm using ODroid N2+, petitboot version: dev:20200731

Thanks!
Actually there is no limitation to the Image size, do you see the Petitboot is gone away (which means you cannot navigate the Petitboot memu) after your custom kernel starts?

lpy4105
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:31 am
languages_spoken: english,chinese
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by lpy4105 »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:50 pm
lpy4105 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am
Hi,

I wonder if there are limit about the kernel size when using petitboot. I observed that if the kernel size exceed a specific size (around 35 MByte), the kernel would not boot and no log printed in the console.
I'm using ODroid N2+, petitboot version: dev:20200731

Thanks!
Actually there is no limitation to the Image size, do you see the Petitboot is gone away (which means you cannot navigate the Petitboot memu) after your custom kernel starts?
Yeah, I believe the kernel is started since there was no signal to the screen. Further information is that if I remove the ramdisk.img, the kernel could start printing logs but of cause the boot would fail. I think this could be a clue.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

lpy4105 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm
tobetter wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:50 pm
lpy4105 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am
Hi,

I wonder if there are limit about the kernel size when using petitboot. I observed that if the kernel size exceed a specific size (around 35 MByte), the kernel would not boot and no log printed in the console.
I'm using ODroid N2+, petitboot version: dev:20200731

Thanks!
Actually there is no limitation to the Image size, do you see the Petitboot is gone away (which means you cannot navigate the Petitboot memu) after your custom kernel starts?
Yeah, I believe the kernel is started since there was no signal to the screen. Further information is that if I remove the ramdisk.img, the kernel could start printing logs but of cause the boot would fail. I think this could be a clue.
Ok, well...I believe the size would not be matter since the way how it loads the kernel/ramdisk in the Petitboot differ to how U-Boot does which load blobs to physical memory. Do you think the kernel and ramdisk does boot without Petitboot?

lpy4105
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:31 am
languages_spoken: english,chinese
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by lpy4105 »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:01 pm
lpy4105 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm
tobetter wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:50 pm
lpy4105 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am
Hi,

I wonder if there are limit about the kernel size when using petitboot. I observed that if the kernel size exceed a specific size (around 35 MByte), the kernel would not boot and no log printed in the console.
I'm using ODroid N2+, petitboot version: dev:20200731

Thanks!
Actually there is no limitation to the Image size, do you see the Petitboot is gone away (which means you cannot navigate the Petitboot memu) after your custom kernel starts?
Yeah, I believe the kernel is started since there was no signal to the screen. Further information is that if I remove the ramdisk.img, the kernel could start printing logs but of cause the boot would fail. I think this could be a clue.
Ok, well...I believe the size would not be matter since the way how it loads the kernel/ramdisk in the Petitboot differ to how U-Boot does which load blobs to physical memory. Do you think the kernel and ramdisk does boot without Petitboot?
Could you please explain it in detail? I have tried that the kernel could boot until "init" without a ramdisk. BTW, where could find the source code?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 8149
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 1275 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

lpy4105 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:59 pm
Could you please explain it in detail? I have tried that the kernel could boot until "init" without a ramdisk. BTW, where could find the source code?
You can share the code or logs if you have when the issue happens with your kernel.
If your kernel starts from the Petitboot and having kernel log from it, there is nothing what Petitboot can do IMO. Since the hardware resource is switched to the kernel, not Petitboot any more.

It's also good to have your problematic kernel/ramdisk/device tree so I can try to reproduce the issue.

Post Reply

Return to “Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests