Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer (Feat. Ubuntu Gnome Desktop with Wayland)

mikec
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-n2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer (Feat. Ubuntu Gnome Desktop with Wayland)

Post by mikec »

OK, I'll try an older version. Petitboot had a black background with previous versions. I had a hard time flashing an older version though using spiboot.img on a flash drive at least. If I recall correctly I did not have visual feedback it was flashing, and I turned off power I think, and ended up with a corrupt spi (at least so I think). I'll try again though. Thanks.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Leave it for 10 minutes to finish flashing even if you don't have feedback...

mikec

Post by mikec »

I tried the 'update' method with the 2020-10-20 spiboot.img. When petitboot booted, it said that it's 'up-to-date'.
I then tried the 'recovery' method using http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201020.img
It seemed to boot (flashing SYS led), but my monitor said that the timing was out of range, so there was nothing on screen. I waited until the SYS light stopped blinking, pulled the SD card, and the power. I replugged-in the eMMC, SD, switched the boot switch to SPI, and booted. The SYS light started blinking, nothing on screen again, but finally booted from the eMMC.

The petitboot.cfg on the recovery image has hdmimode=480p60hz, but this is only for the recovery image boot I presume. If so, how come booting from the now-recovered SPI (2010-10-20) doesn't show any video? What is the resolution set to there?
I'm going to change the petitiboot.cfg to 1080p60hz, and see if my monitor shows something. At lteast that would give information during SPI flashing.

Why are the newer versions not OK to use?

mikec

Post by mikec »

Commenting out the 480p60hz line and uncommenting the 1080p60hz one gives me 'no signal' on my monitor. The boot seems to go ahead though, since a display.bin and edid.bin are written to the SD's partition, and the spiboot.img is deleted (something I noticed also happened when I booted with the default 480p60hz).
Is it me, or are these petitboot images buggy?
Confusingly, the upgrade/update image has 'spiboot' in the image name, while the recovery one has 'spiupdate' in the name. :roll:
It also seems like petitboot won't downgrade using the spiboot.img, or did I do something wrong? :?

mikec

Post by mikec »

OK,
It seems like I maybe didn't let it finish flashing the first time. This time I waited longer, and the n2 rebooted into petitboot 2020-10-20, with a pink background. I pulled out the power, replugged-in the eMMC, switched the boot switch to SPI, and it booted petitboot 2020-10-20 again -- so it seems like the flash worked. The background is still pink though...
It is just my opinion, but https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot is somewhat confusing.
It doesn't say which version(s) should be downloaded, some links are to (ppa.)linuxfactory.or.kr, some are bit.ly links, the recovery image when flashed onto an SD and mounted from there doesn't have the same files as in the screenshot on that page, the instructions are at the bottom, not the top, etc. I hope you don't mind critical comments, and sorry for the off-topic, this should probably have gone in the petitboot thread.

odroidn2user
ODROIDs: N2, C4

Post by odroidn2user »

A small status update.

I installed a prebuilt Groovy (20.10) server image from the linuxfactory to an SD card and loaded it up on the N2 (non-plus). Went fine.
Did an apt update and an apt dist-upgrade. Rebooted All fine.

Installed the kubuntu-desktop, went fine. Reboot.
Showed only two lines, one about panfrost and one about SElinux and a missing file.
Then nothing, no bootsplash or scrolling info text lines.
Nothing for a long while.

Then all of a sudden... Boom! SDDM, the login screen for KDE.
But then with a lot of distortion, ugly lines over the input field, missing letters, etc.
Login worked. Got to a desktop, with garbled mouse cursor, etc, etc, it is all not quite there yet.

But, Panfrost on the G52 and it atleast boots and loads an X11 desktop, well, sorta. :) Yes!!
Significant, working, measurable progress.

So, to whomever wants the N2 with KDE on Panfrost, not quite yet, but it now actually exists.

istanbulls
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID; N2, C4, XU4, N2+, CH4

Post by istanbulls »

odroidn2user wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:46 pm
A small status update.

I installed a prebuilt Groovy (20.10) server image from the linuxfactory to an SD card and loaded it up on the N2 (non-plus). Went fine.
Did an apt update and an apt dist-upgrade. Rebooted All fine.

Installed the kubuntu-desktop, went fine. Reboot.
Showed only two lines, one about panfrost and one about SElinux and a missing file.
Then nothing, no bootsplash or scrolling info text lines.
Nothing for a long while.

Then all of a sudden... Boom! SDDM, the login screen for KDE.
But then with a lot of distortion, ugly lines over the input field, missing letters, etc.
Login worked. Got to a desktop, with garbled mouse cursor, etc, etc, it is all not quite there yet.

But, Panfrost on the G52 and it atleast boots and loads an X11 desktop, well, sorta. :) Yes!!
Significant, working, measurable progress.

So, to whomever wants the N2 with KDE on Panfrost, not quite yet, but it now actually exists.
Are you sure you have installed panfrost?
I experienced the same thing once, afterwards I realized that I did not install Panrost.
sudo apt install linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64

If you installed Panforst, it may help to reinstall it.
These users thanked the author istanbulls for the post:
odroidn2user (Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:23 pm)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

istanbulls wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:23 pm
I experienced the same thing once, afterwards I realized that I did not install Panrost.

If you installed Panforst, it may help to reinstall it.
Thanks! That made quite a difference.
It is still not completely smooth sailing, but user experience improved a lot.
And I verified with lsmod, panfrost the module is indeed loaded now.

[ Network management ]

Netwerk management is an issue though.
Anyone know how to fix it?
I have normal ethernet, never an issue.

But during boot I have to wait 2 minutes for the netwerk to fail to come up.
Then KDE seems to think I am not online, while I actually am.
Any idea how to smooth that wrinkle out?

No network manager setup, so have to find out how that all works. Hmm... :(
Also, no audio, strange enough. On KDE, you have to manually add the odroid-alsa package.

Language stuff on KDE is also different.
This largely applies
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=37109&p=316208&hi ... ks#p316208
But you have to install the language-selector-common package.

Update: new mesa packages from tobetter, seems to have improved KDE experience a lot.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

There is a network problem with minimal installations with Netboot.
When you complete the installation of ubuntu-desktop with netboot, this is not a problem.
To fix this problem, I am using these commands.

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml

network:
  renderer: NetworkManager
  ethernets:
    eth0:
      dhcp4: true
  version: 2

sudo netplan apply
I use netboot to avoid language problems. This is how I handle my Language and Keyboard settings from scratch. Also, any root access belongs to me.

No sound, classic problem. :)

sudo apt install --reinstall odroid-alsa

wallyz21
ODROIDs: N2

Post by wallyz21 »

Tried to install panfrost with this command:

I can see the vmlinux in /boot is linked to the panfrost kernel

vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64

Which worked fine. Rebooted but lsmod doesn't show a panfrost module!

What else do I need to do?
Walter Zambotti
N2 - Ubuntu Mate Desktop

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

Been playing around with the Tobetter 20.10 server image, and added the Panfrost kernel and the Kubuntu Desktop.
There clearly are some remaining issues with the panfrost graphics driver in combination with KDE, but man... It is good!

Smooth video playing in VLC and MPV, smooth browsing with Firefox, audio jack clearly working, no green line, no pinky gray, a responsive desktop.
Even my Electron app is working pretty smoothly! Video in Firefox could be a little smoother, but...

The N2 is really starting to live up to its promises!!

(The image processing / sharpening thing also needs to be solved yet, still looks strange.)
These users thanked the author odroidn2user for the post:
istanbulls (Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:07 am)

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

odroidn2user wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:04 am
Been playing around with the Tobetter 20.10 server image, and added the Panfrost kernel and the Kubuntu Desktop.
There clearly are some remaining issues with the panfrost graphics driver in combination with KDE, but man... It is good!

Smooth video playing in VLC and MPV, smooth browsing with Firefox, audio jack clearly working, no green line, no pinky gray, a responsive desktop.
Even my Electron app is working pretty smoothly! Video in Firefox could be a little smoother, but...

The N2 is really starting to live up to its promises!!

(The image processing / sharpening thing also needs to be solved yet, still looks strange.)
I recommend that you also try it with Ubuntu-Gnome-Panfrost. I am sure you will like it more. :) This suggestion is valid if you don't have a special love for KDE. ;)
odroidn2user (Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:36 am)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

istanbulls wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:09 am
I recommend that you also try it with Ubuntu-Gnome-Panfrost. I am sure you will like it more. :) This suggestion is valid if you don't have a special love for KDE. ;)
Nice, Ubuntu Gnome Panfrost is a bit better than KDE Panfrost indeed!
Most of the blinking windows and stuff is gone. :)

OK, now... The compression / sharpening thing and... Night color.
Why doesn't any ARM box driver out there support the redshift / night color feature!?
Last edited by odroidn2user on Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
istanbulls (Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:47 am)

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

odroidn2user wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:38 am
istanbulls wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:09 am
Nice, Ubuntu Gnome Panfrost is a bit better than KDE Panfrost indeed!
Most of the blinking windows and stuff is gone.
Are you with Ubuntu 20.10 now?
Then can you please do share the output of dpkg -l | grep mesa?

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

Please notice, I was commenting on how it worked better!

Updated

ii  libegl-mesa0:arm64                            5:21.1.0-devel+202101281635~groovy          arm64        free implementation of the EGL API -- Mesa vendor library
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:arm64                         5:21.1.0-devel+202101281635~groovy          arm64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
ii  libglapi-mesa:arm64                           5:21.1.0-devel+202101281635~groovy          arm64        free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
ii  libglu1-mesa:arm64                            9.0.1-1build1                               arm64        Mesa OpenGL utility library (GLU)
ii  libglx-mesa0:arm64                            5:21.1.0-devel+202101281635~groovy          arm64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX vendor library
ii  mesa-va-drivers:arm64                         5:21.1.0-devel+202101281635~groovy          arm64        Mesa VA-API video acceleration drivers
ii  mesa-vdpau-drivers:arm64                      5:21.1.0-devel+202101281635~groovy          arm64        Mesa VDPAU video acceleration drivers
ii  mesa-vulkan-drivers:arm64                     5:21.1.0-devel+202101281635~groovy          arm64        Mesa Vulkan graphics drivers
Last edited by odroidn2user on Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

odroidn2user wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:43 am
Please notice, I was commenting on how it worked better!

ii  libegl-mesa0:arm64                            5:21.1.0-devel+202101271635~groovy          arm64        free implementation of the EGL API -- Mesa vendor library
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:arm64                         5:21.1.0-devel+202101271635~groovy          arm64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
ii  libglapi-mesa:arm64                           5:21.1.0-devel+202101271635~groovy          arm64        free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
ii  libglu1-mesa:arm64                            9.0.1-1build1                               arm64        Mesa OpenGL utility library (GLU)
ii  libglx-mesa0:arm64                            5:21.1.0-devel+202101271635~groovy          arm64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX vendor library
ii  mesa-va-drivers:arm64                         5:21.1.0-devel+202101271635~groovy          arm64        Mesa VA-API video acceleration drivers
ii  mesa-vdpau-drivers:arm64                      5:21.1.0-devel+202101271635~groovy          arm64        Mesa VDPAU video acceleration drivers
ii  mesa-vulkan-drivers:arm64                     5:21.1.0-devel+202101271635~groovy          arm64        Mesa Vulkan graphics drivers
Thanks, I just wanted to check the version if they go properly from the package server. Recently I am taking more time for Arm Mali Bifrost and Panfrost, I have seen that Panfrost is really mature...video decoing performance is a different story but looks good to use so now.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

Yeah, it works pretty good, Panfrost on Gnome. Surprisingly so. Animations could be a little smoother.

Video decoding is fully software based, from what I can determine.
But it seems to do 1080p just fine, on the cpu, on mpv.
Maybe fullscreen panning showing some tearing.
Yeah, tearing is a bit of a thing still. But it is early days.

And I just updated to the latest, and updated the post above with it.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

Well, been testing the tobetter 20.10 image, with Panfrost and Gnome, on the N2 as a daily home driver (for non-work related activities), and it works surprisingly well.

So, a huge congrats to all involved! And many, many thanks.

The N2 finally reached a state where it can serve as a daily driver for normal home activities.
And do so well, without the feeling of compromising on a normal modern desktop look and feel.

There are some remaining issues (image processing artifacts, some graphics driver bugs, some tearing, some network configuration issues) but it works.
You can do your normal daily activities and do it right and experience a responsive, modern desktop system while doing it.
Impressive work.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

I created a setup tutorial for myself.
I printed this out because I don't remember any of them and I feel lost on the black screen with a few texts appearing. :D
Once Panfrost is installed, odroid-homecloud-display setup doesn't work so I added it to the top.
I added the alsa setup to avoid sound problems.
I added the network setup, which is necessary to see googleDriver in the folder.

sudo apt install odroid-homecloud-display
sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list
:% s,focal,groovy,g
:wq
sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ppa_linuxfactory_or_kr.list
:% s,focal,groovy,g
:wq
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt autoremove
sudo reboot
sudo apt install --reinstall odroid-alsa
sudo nano /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml
network:
  renderer: NetworkManager
  ethernets:
    eth0:
      dhcp4: true
  version: 2
sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
joerg (Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:08 pm)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

@istanbulls what's the base image you start from?

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:30 pm
@istanbulls what's the base image you start from?
ubuntu 20.04 with netboot_default

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Thanks!

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N1, N2, C4

Post by joerg »

I started also with this. But I have not yet upgraded to 20.10. When I use with wayland, I have to reconnect the wireless mouse and keyboard dongle after login from screensaver.
BTW, I try to set it up for my daughter, so she can use it also for video conferencing. Her school uses Cisco Webex and Zoom. I was able to start a test session with Webex, with Chromium is working, with Firefox is not. And when I try to open a test session in Zoom it tries xdg-open, but nothing happens. I think it tries to open a binary, but there is no for arm.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Note that zoom should be able to run from browser. In the xdg-open page there should be a link in the bottom page that lets you connect with a browser.

I'm curious how the N2+ will handle 30 video streams at once. The H2 uses about 50% CPU with Google Classroom.

joerg

Post by joerg »

After I made the steps to distupgrade the desktop doesn't come up anymore.
A flood of messages:

[   54.891266] mali ffe40000.gpu: error detected from slot 1, job status 0x00000058 (DATA_INVALID_FAULT)
[   54.891342] mali ffe40000.gpu: t6xx: GPU fault 0x58 from job slot 1
[   54.891364] mali ffe40000.gpu: t6xx: GPU fault 0x58 from job slot 0
[   57.330641] mali ffe40000.gpu: Unhandled Page fault in AS1 at VA 0x0000000000000000
               Reason: Memory is not mapped on the GPU
               raw fault status: 0x10002C0
               exception type 0xC0: TRANSLATION_FAULT
               access type 0x2: READ
               source id 0x100
               pid: 2194

uname -r
5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64
uname -a
Linux focal 5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.10.5-202101090637~groovy (2021-01-08) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Do I need to go back to bifrost?

joerg

Post by joerg »

Yeah, I am back on bifrost.
It took me one hour and something. :x

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

On my ubuntu 20.10 system, tracker-extract keeps crashing.
I'm now trying this:
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/07/h ... acker.html

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

Panfrost-KDE is better than Panfrost-Gnome since the last updates.

n2p-kde@odroid:~$ uname -a
Linux odroid 5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.10.12-202102040913~groovy (2021-02-04) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Attachments
Screenshot_20210207_140909.png
Screenshot_20210207_140909.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1017 times
These users thanked the author istanbulls for the post (total 2):
tobetter (Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:11 pm) • odroidn2user (Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:54 pm)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

istanbulls wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:04 pm
There is indeed a significant improvement! But you really need today's update.

If you are switching back and forth, you will need Gnome Tweaks (gnome-tweak-tool) to correct the theme in Gnome.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

odroidn2user wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:54 pm
istanbulls wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:04 pm
There is indeed a significant improvement! But you really need today's update.

If you are switching back and forth, you will need Gnome Tweaks (gnome-tweak-tool) to correct the theme in Gnome.
Gnome-Wayland, Gnome-Panfrost, KDE-Panfrost.
In these three OSs, I install on my SSD and constantly update all three. I follow the developments in each new update.

Among these three OS, the best performance is in KDE-Panfrost since the last update. Or like this according to my experience.

For Gnome-Panfrost, I use the tips I got from you. Thanks again for that. I never liked using Gnome, it became my favorite OS because of you. :)

sudo apt-get install chrome-gnome-shell
sudo apt install gnome-tweak-tool
sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
And for Administrator features, Caja is the first program I have installed for all OS..

sudo apt install --reinstall caja-admin
sudo apt-get install -y caja-open-terminal
Gnome-Panfrost My Desktop
Attachments
Ekran görüntüsü 2021-02-08 01-44-02.png
Ekran görüntüsü 2021-02-08 01-44-02.png (247.78 KiB) Viewed 967 times
odroidn2user (Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:38 am)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

[20210219] 5.10.16 kernel is coming

It's been long time to update new kernel version, I've pushed 5.10 kernel branch to build queue and new kernel version will be available in a couple of hours, still ARM Mali Bifrost will be supported but Panfrost won't with Ubuntu 20.04 since 20.04 package repository becomes too complicated. At some point sooner than later, the default kernel will be switched to 5.11 that I am currently preparing to publish the package.

Interesting features:
  • Device tree overlay will be supported - the device tree support is limited currently but will be added more like Hardkernel's stock 4.9 kernel and will use the same instruction to choose and apply the device tree overlay blobs.
  • 3.5"/3.2" small LCD device can be supported - continue to the device tree support, 3.2"/3.5" LCD product from Hardkernel can run with mainline kernel finally, more detail instruction will come later.
  • ARM Mali GPU can be overclocked to 1000MHz, currently the max freq is 800MHz - some users already had tried to overclock the GPU upto 1000MHz which is 200MHz more than max currently, you can run 1000MHz if you won the silicon lottery.
  • 'linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64' kernel package' is deprecated - this is for Ubuntu 20.10 users only. Since several patches for the Panfrost drivers are merged to officialy Linux 5.10 repository the same package is no longer required, I've managed a couple of packages to prevent the driver conflict between 'Bifrost' and 'Panfrost'.
  • And several updates...
How to update the new kernel version?

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
More detail will be added if required and 1-2 pages will be added to https://docs.linuxfactory.or.kr/
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 4):
odroid (Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:56 pm) • istanbulls (Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:19 pm) • m_ueberall (Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:34 pm) • odroidn2user (Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 pm)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:23 pm
More detail will be added if required and 1-2 pages will be added to https://docs.linuxfactory.or.kr/
I just did an apt update and dist-upgrade on an N2, using the panfrost kernel series.

Now running:

Linux groovy-server 5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.10.12-202102040913~groovy (2021-02-04) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Reboot worked fine, came up working. And working quite nicely. Does not yet seem to have a brand new kernel.

Also ports.ubuntu.com seems to be offline? Or is that just me? Update: it seems to be working again.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

odroidn2user wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:10 am
tobetter wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:23 pm
I just did an apt update and dist-upgrade on an N2, using the panfrost kernel series.

Now running:

Linux groovy-server 5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.10.12-202102040913~groovy (2021-02-04) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Reboot worked fine, came up working. And working quite nicely. Does not yet seem to have a brand new kernel.

Also ports.ubuntu.com seems to be offline? Or is that just me? Update: it seems to be working again.
If you still have 5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64, please do the commands.

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64
After rebooting, check if you have 5.10.0-odroid-arm64 then remove the previous kernel package which won't be updated.

$ sudo apt purge linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:14 pm

$ sudo apt update
You do know you just wrote the following in the post above:
'linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64' kernel package' is deprecated
I am guessing you meant that linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64 will be deprecated.
And the linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64 will continue, being a default panfrost enabled kernel?
istanbulls (Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:50 pm)

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

odroidn2user wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:47 pm
tobetter wrote:

$ sudo apt update
I am guessing you meant that linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64 will be deprecated.
And the linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64 will continue, being a default panfrost enabled kernel?
This was the question I wanted to ask on another topic. :D

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

odroidn2user wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:47 pm
tobetter wrote:

$ sudo apt update
Exactly. Sorry for my typo. Previous post is fixed regarding to the package.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:55 pm

$ sudo apt update
So, how do I force it to boot the odroid non-panfrost kernel?
I've done the above, it mentions that I already have the most recent 5.10.0-odroid-arm kernel.
I did a: sudo apt install --reinstall linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64

That installed the kernel again, but a reboot keeps loading the older panfrost kernel...
(I am not using petitboot, due to incompatibility.)

I'm probably asking a complete noob question, sorry about that.

Can I edit the /boot/boot.scr file with some text editor, like vi or mcedit ?
It seems to direct to the panfrost kernel.

It (still) says:

if test -z "${fk_kvers}"; then
   setenv fk_kvers "5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64"
fi
However there is some binary stuff around it.
Last edited by odroidn2user on Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

I think you should remove the Panfrost.

$ sudo apt purge linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64
I tried it too but it failed. I have to switch to the other OS on my SSD for it to generate the same error.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

odroidn2user wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:03 pm
tobetter wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:55 pm

$ sudo apt update
So, how do I force it to boot the odroid non-panfrost kernel?
I've done the above, it mentions that I already have the most recent 5.10.0-odroid-arm kernel.
I did a: sudo apt install --reinstall linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64

That installed the kernel again, but a reboot keeps loading the older panfrost kernel...
(I am not using petitboot, due to incompatibility.)

I'm probably asking a complete noob question, sorry about that.

I could just perhaps purge the kernel that I am active running? That thought is a little scary?
:)
It's not noob question, but my incomplete explains...

Two options,
1) run sudo flash-kernel --force 5.10.0-odroid-arm64 which will switch the default kernel to the latest version from linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64.
2) run sudo apt purge linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64, this will remove the package and will switch to default kernel.

I recommend to go for option 1, so check if your kernel is switched and and remove the *-odroid-parnforst-arm64.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

sudo flash-kernel --force 5.10.0-odroid-arm64
That seems to have done the trick! Thanks tobetter! :D

System:
  Host: groovy-server Kernel: 5.10.0-odroid-arm64 aarch64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: GNOME 3.38.2 Distro: Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla) 
Machine:
  Type: ARM Device System: Hardkernel ODROID-N2 details: N/A 
CPU:
  Info: 6-Core (2-Die) model: N/A variant-1: cortex-a53 
  variant-2: cortex-a73 bits: 64 type: MCP MCM 
  Speed: 1896 MHz min/max: 100/1992:1908 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1896 
  2: 1896 3: 1800 4: 1800 5: 1800 6: 1800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: meson-g12a-mali driver: panfrost v: kernel 
  Device-2: meson-g12a-dw-hdmi driver: meson_dw_hdmi v: kernel 
  Display: server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mali G52 (Panfrost) 
  v: 3.1 Mesa 21.1.0-devel (git-14b2dc0013) 
and

Linux groovy-server 5.10.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.10.16-202102191318~groovy (2021-02-19) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
And the purge with:

sudo apt purge linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64
Also worked, it seems to have cleaned up the panfrost stuff nicely (from /boot at least, that's where I looked) and it boots the odroid-arm64 kernel.
Excellent.

(I do notice that reboots don't work though, with both the panfrost and the non-panfrost specific kernel. Have to pull the power cord.)
Last edited by odroidn2user on Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

odroidn2user wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 pm
That seems to have done the trick! Thanks tobetter! :D

System:
  Host: groovy-server Kernel: 5.10.0-odroid-arm64 aarch64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: GNOME 3.38.2 Distro: Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla) 
Machine:
  Type: ARM Device System: Hardkernel ODROID-N2 details: N/A 
CPU:
  Info: 6-Core (2-Die) model: N/A variant-1: cortex-a53 
  variant-2: cortex-a73 bits: 64 type: MCP MCM 
  Speed: 1896 MHz min/max: 100/1992:1908 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1896 
  2: 1896 3: 1800 4: 1800 5: 1800 6: 1800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: meson-g12a-mali driver: panfrost v: kernel 
  Device-2: meson-g12a-dw-hdmi driver: meson_dw_hdmi v: kernel 
  Display: server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mali G52 (Panfrost) 
  v: 3.1 Mesa 21.1.0-devel (git-14b2dc0013) 
and

Linux groovy-server 5.10.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.10.16-202102191318~groovy (2021-02-19) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
If you have successfully switched to new kernel 5.10.16, please do remove the *-odroid-panfrost-arm64 with sudo dpkg --remove linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:40 pm
If you have successfully switched to new kernel 5.10.16, please do remove the *-odroid-panfrost-arm64 with sudo dpkg --remove linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64.
Yeah, I did the purge thing, that worked as well. The 'dpkg --remove' command doesn't find anything to remove any further.
Excellent! :D

/me feeling good, running the brand spanking new 5.10.16! Not even a week old :)

Bad_bt

Post by Bad_bt »

My Odroid N2 worked fine until the 18th, when I ran

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
that, among other things, updated mali-bifrost-dkms. At the end of the update I got this error:

Taking backup of boot.scr.
Installing new boot.scr.
Using DTB: amlogic/meson64_odroidn2.dtb
Error at '/soc/gpu@ffe40000': FDT_ERR_NOTFOUND
run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//mali-bifrost exited with return code 1
[1mdpkg:[0m error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
 installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 initramfs-tools
Running

sudo update-initramfs -u
also ended in this error.

This kept happening until the 19th when the kernel 5.10.16 came out, where the output properly ended at:

Installing new boot.scr.
However, in both of these cases (the day before 5.10.16 got released, and after it got released), I was unable to boot using the 5.10 kernel - Petitboot recognizes Ubuntu 20.04.1, but it ends in black screen. Accessing Odroid via SSH also doesn't work. I managed to boot Odroid using the 5.9 kernel by editing the entry via Petitboot (replacing 5.10 with 5.9). Right now, I'm running 5.9 in Wayland with mali-bifrost-dkms 24.0+202102182345~focal without any issues, but I'm unable to get 5.10 working.

I ran:

sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates/dkms/mali_kbase.ko
sudo apt install --reinstall mali-bifrost-dkms
and also (because $(uname -r) returns 5.9.0-odroid-arm64, which is not where the problem is):

sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/5.10.0-odroid-arm64/updates/dkms/mali_kbase.ko

sudo apt install --reinstall initramfs-tools
sudo apt install --reinstall linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64

sudo apt purge linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64
sudo apt install linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64
but 5.10 still boots to black screen.

sudo update-initramfs -u -k 5.10.0-odroid-arm64
doesn't fix things, though it ends without errors.

sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
doesn't work either, and it makes even 5.9 boot to black screen as well, so I had to restore backups to /boot/

Additional info (if needed):

uname -a
Linux focal-n2 5.9.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.9.16-202101101310~focal (2021-01-10) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

dpkg -l | grep linux-image
ii  linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64            5.10.16-202102191318~focal          arm64        Linux 5.10 for 64-bit ARMv8 machines
ii  linux-image-5.9.0-odroid-arm64             5.9.16-202101101310~focal           arm64        Linux 5.9 for 64-bit ARMv8 machines
ii  linux-image-generic                        5:2020.12-1+202012241958~focal      arm64        Generic Linux kernel image

dpkg -l | grep mali-bifrost-dkms
ii  mali-bifrost-dkms                          24.0+202102182345~focal             arm64        Mali kernel driver for bifrost hardware in DKMS format.

lsmod | grep mali
mali_kbase            614400  4

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
wayland

dkms status
mali-bifrost, 24.0+202102182345~focal, 5.10.0-odroid-arm64, aarch64: installed
mali-bifrost, 24.0+202102182345~focal, 5.9.0-odroid-arm64, aarch64: installed
I don't know where I screwed up. Does anyone know what the problem could be or how to fix it?
Thanks for the help.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

@Bad_bt, what's the output of the commands?

$ dpkg -l | grep odroid-base
$ dpkg -l | grep bifrost
Can you run again the commands and share the output again after backing up /boot/boot.scr to another file name?

$ sudo apt install --reinstall linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64

Bad_bt

Post by Bad_bt »

I upgraded odroid-base before my first post.

$ dpkg -l | grep odroid-base
ii  odroid-base                                5:3+202102212206~focal              arm64        ODROID base package

$ dpkg -l | grep bifrost
ii  mali-bifrost-dkms                          24.0+202102182345~focal             arm64        Mali kernel driver for bifrost hardware in DKMS format.
ii  mali-bifrost-wayland-driver:arm64          5:0.1-5+202012241944~focal          arm64        The Wayland userspace binary driver for Mali GPU G31/G52
I ran this command:

$ sudo apt install --reinstall linux-image-5.10.0-odroid-arm64
I realize I may have misspoke when I said 5.10 boots to black screen - it doesn't exactly go to black screen, it's more that monitor doesn't receive any input from Odroid and turns off.
5.10 still won't boot as usual, but I had one freak occurence where it DID boot to black screen (monitor displayed black screen, it didn't turn off), SSH worked, Nextcloud server on my Odroid was working etc. But it was just one time. Every other time it behaved as before (monitor doesn't receive input and turns off, SSH doesn't work etc).

5.9 is now stuck at the boot dmesg messages, but SSH works and Nextcloud server works:

$ dmesg --level err
[    1.519376] Driver 'scmi-reset' was unable to register with bus_type 'scmi_protocol' because the bus was not initialized.
[    1.923870] rtc-pcf8563 1-0051: low voltage detected, date/time is not reliable.
[    1.925416] rtc-pcf8563 1-0051: low voltage detected, date/time is not reliable.
[    1.925429] rtc-pcf8563 1-0051: hctosys: unable to read the hardware clock
[    1.929031] spi_master spi0: cannot find modalias for /soc/bus@ffd00000/spi@13000/spidev@0
[   35.250169] devfreq ffe40000.gpu: Couldn't update frequency transition information.
[   44.806745] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: Only one simultaneous stream supported!
[   44.806759] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -22
[   44.806764] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: ASoC: startup() failed: -22
[   44.806771] axg-sound-card sound: ASoC: PRE_PMU: be.dai-link-6-playback event failed: -22
[   56.702723] mali ffe40000.gpu: JS: Job has been on the GPU for too long (JS_RESET_TICKS_SS/DUMPING timeout hit). Issueing GPU soft-reset to resolve.
[   56.702744] mali ffe40000.gpu: Preparing to soft-reset GPU: Waiting (upto 3000 ms) for all jobs to complete soft-stop
[  242.648443] INFO: task kworker/2:2:1968 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[  242.648456]       Tainted: G         C O      5.9.0-odroid-arm64 #1 Ubuntu 5.9.16-202101101310~focal
[  242.648460] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[  363.475564] INFO: task kworker/2:2:1968 blocked for more than 241 seconds.
[  363.475576]       Tainted: G         C O      5.9.0-odroid-arm64 #1 Ubuntu 5.9.16-202101101310~focal
[  363.475579] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[  484.303843] INFO: task kworker/2:2:1968 blocked for more than 362 seconds.
[  484.303856]       Tainted: G         C O      5.9.0-odroid-arm64 #1 Ubuntu 5.9.16-202101101310~focal
[  484.303859] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
(only messages up to 35.250169s are shown on monitor)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

@Bad_bt, can you remove the file /etc/initramfs/post-update.d/zz-mali-bifrost and reinstall mali-bifrost-dkms? Back up the /boot/boot.scr before running these commands and reboot.

$ sudo rm -rf /etc/initramfs/post-update.d/zz-mali-bifrost
$ sudo apt install --reinstall mali-bifrost-dkms
$ sudo flash-kernel --force 5.10.0-odroid-arm64

Bad_bt

Post by Bad_bt »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:40 am
@Bad_bt, can you remove the file /etc/initramfs/post-update.d/zz-mali-bifrost and reinstall mali-bifrost-dkms? Back up the /boot/boot.scr before running these commands and reboot.

Okay, so I ran the first 2 commands and rebooted, after which I could run 5.9 with Wayland. After running the 3rd command, 5.9 got stuck at boot messages but could be accessed via SSH. After again reinstalling mali-bifrost-dkms, I could again run 5.9 with Wayland.
5.10 still can't boot - monitor receives no signal from Odroid and can't access Odroid over SSH.

It might be completely unrelated, but I'll still mention it - about a week ago I followed some steps to turn off swap and set up zram instead:
https://haydenjames.io/raspberry-pi-per ... arameters/
https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/224348
Everything worked fine, booted and rebooted without issues. Then a few days later, issues started happening after updating.

$ cat /etc/fstab
UUID="2b41806d-ff56-43bb-ac28-2de1817b6bc9" /     ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
UUID="49277a90-73b2-4119-8b6d-c887a910bb40" /boot ext2 rw,relatime,errors=continue 0 0
# UUID="bcdd9b91-947c-4939-8fea-9b26e01bf1ea" none swap defaults 0 0
UUID="e8e3543f-f8e2-4dd4-92c3-73b465ff7cf4" /home ext4 defaults 0 2
This is the first time I've had serious issues with Odroid. In the past, if mali-bifrost driver didn't work, I still managed to boot in X11.
Again, thanks for the help!

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Bad_bt wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:36 pm
tobetter wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:40 am

Okay, so I ran the first 2 commands and rebooted, after which I could run 5.9 with Wayland. After running the 3rd command, 5.9 got stuck at boot messages but could be accessed via SSH. After again reinstalling mali-bifrost-dkms, I could again run 5.9 with Wayland.
5.10 still can't boot - monitor receives no signal from Odroid and can't access Odroid over SSH.
Why did you reboot after two commands?
Can you share any logs whatever you have while running the command and /boot/boot.scr after 3 commands are executed?

Bad_bt

Post by Bad_bt »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:49 pm
It didn't ask me to reboot or anything like that, I jut wanted to play it safe and maybe notice if a command breaks or fixes things.

I ran all 3 commands again, no restarts or anything; here's the log: https://pastebin.com/wA1xSAnP
5.10 is not working, 5.9 is working over SSH, but display is stuck at dmesg messages.

Checking dmesg on 5.9 over SSH:

$ dmesg --level err
[    1.519965] Driver 'scmi-reset' was unable to register with bus_type 'scmi_protocol' because the bus was not initialized.
[    1.909788] spi_master spi0: cannot find modalias for /soc/bus@ffd00000/spi@13000/spidev@0
[   34.630286] devfreq ffe40000.gpu: Couldn't update frequency transition information.
[   44.637325] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: Only one simultaneous stream supported!
[   44.637336] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -22
[   44.637339] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: ASoC: startup() failed: -22
[   44.637345] axg-sound-card sound: ASoC: PRE_PMU: be.dai-link-6-playback event failed: -22
[   56.407665] mali ffe40000.gpu: JS: Job has been on the GPU for too long (JS_RESET_TICKS_SS/DUMPING timeout hit). Issueing GPU soft-reset to resolve.
[   56.407680] mali ffe40000.gpu: Preparing to soft-reset GPU: Waiting (upto 3000 ms) for all jobs to complete soft-stop
[  242.648488] INFO: task kworker/3:3:2383 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[  242.648500]       Tainted: G         C O      5.9.0-odroid-arm64 #1 Ubuntu 5.9.16-202101101310~focal
[  242.648504] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[  363.476479] INFO: task kworker/3:3:2383 blocked for more than 241 seconds.
[  363.476491]       Tainted: G         C O      5.9.0-odroid-arm64 #1 Ubuntu 5.9.16-202101101310~focal
[  363.476494] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Bad_bt wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:36 pm
tobetter wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:49 pm
It didn't ask me to reboot or anything like that, I jut wanted to play it safe and maybe notice if a command breaks or fixes things.

I ran all 3 commands again, no restarts or anything; here's the log: https://pastebin.com/wA1xSAnP
5.10 is not working, 5.9 is working over SSH, but display is stuck at dmesg messages.

Checking dmesg on 5.9 over SSH:

$ dmesg --level err
[    1.519965] Driver 'scmi-reset' was unable to register with bus_type 'scmi_protocol' because the bus was not initialized.
[    1.909788] spi_master spi0: cannot find modalias for /soc/bus@ffd00000/spi@13000/spidev@0
[   34.630286] devfreq ffe40000.gpu: Couldn't update frequency transition information.
[   44.637325] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: Only one simultaneous stream supported!
[   44.637336] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -22
[   44.637339] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: ASoC: startup() failed: -22
[   44.637345] axg-sound-card sound: ASoC: PRE_PMU: be.dai-link-6-playback event failed: -22
[   56.407665] mali ffe40000.gpu: JS: Job has been on the GPU for too long (JS_RESET_TICKS_SS/DUMPING timeout hit). Issueing GPU soft-reset to resolve.
[   56.407680] mali ffe40000.gpu: Preparing to soft-reset GPU: Waiting (upto 3000 ms) for all jobs to complete soft-stop
[  242.648488] INFO: task kworker/3:3:2383 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[  242.648500]       Tainted: G         C O      5.9.0-odroid-arm64 #1 Ubuntu 5.9.16-202101101310~focal
[  242.648504] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[  363.476479] INFO: task kworker/3:3:2383 blocked for more than 241 seconds.
[  363.476491]       Tainted: G         C O      5.9.0-odroid-arm64 #1 Ubuntu 5.9.16-202101101310~focal
[  363.476494] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
I checked the log but not found anything wrong, I guess you messed up something while installing and following up the instruction I gave you. You should better to install again to another memory card if it's 5.10 kernel problem or something else.

Return to “Projects”