Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer (Feat. Ubuntu Gnome Desktop)

istanbulls
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID-N2, ODROID C4

Re: Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer (Feat. Ubuntu Gnome Desktop)

Post by istanbulls »

istanbulls wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:12 am
tobetter wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:03 am
istanbulls wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:56 am
Something goes wrong if I start the Android system and turn it off again and turn Ubuntu 20.04 Fatal back on. I cannot enter the desktop. I have to do ALT F2 and I have to do ALT F1 again to enter the desktop.
Odroid Ubuntu Mate or CoreElec has no problem .. Just got this problem on Tobetter's Ubuntu-Goneme desktop. 5.4, ​​5.7, 5.8 All versions have the same problem.
Do you mean the problem happens when you start Ubuntu Desktop after rebooting from Android? Interesting...Do you use SD or eMMC for Android?
Yes,
On Android eMMC
Other OS's in ssd

Android OS is adding files to other partitions after it boots up, I suspect it.
I am having the same problem with uSD. Ubuntu Mate won't break, CoreElec won't break. Only @tobetter's Ubuntu Gnome is breaking, interesting.

When I boot Android the Ubuntu Gnome on other uSD or SSD gets corrupted and does not enter the desktop.

To avoid this, when I start Android, I remove the uSD or SSD from N2.

eruo1
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: n2
Been thanked: 0

Post by eruo1 »

I have a similar but worse experience with N2+. With N2+ after a SUDO APT UPGRADE on Ubuntu (it doesn't matter which one, and with Android on EMMC, the unit responds erratically. it works okay with either Ubuntu or Android removed from the unit.

squidd
ODROIDs: N2+

Post by squidd »

Thanks to tobetter and everyone involved in the development of this tool & image! Although I usually stick to Arch, Gnome + Wayland on Ubuntu is very smooth on this device. The best desktop experience for the N2+ I've used so far.

I was able to get this https://github.com/monkaBlyat/docker-chromium-armhf installed, but there is no GPU acceleration in chrome://gpu, but the chromium-docker image does install just & open just fine. Netflix DOES play, but it's very choppy. I wouldn't know how to tweak anything to get it working better, but maybe someone here does?

Thanks again! Today I will try a debian install to a SSD. I didn't realize it would be that easy to get this board to boot an OS via USB.
These users thanked the author squidd for the post:
istanbulls (Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 am)

squidd

Post by squidd »

I went ahead and did a full re-install of Ubuntu Focal + Gnome & Wayland on my Crucial BX500 SSD, connected via SATA to USB (Startech) adapter. After reboot, the device is recognized, but it's about a 50/50 chance I get a black screen after petitboot. But I am able to boot the OS and it's much faster on the SSD than my Samsung FIT flash drive. The drive isn't plugged into a powered hub, so I suspect it could be a power issue? I've never had an issue on my other SBC's with this drive setup, though. Other than that everything is working great! Completely amazed by how smooth this is. Is there any way to use Gnome and Wayland on Debian instead of Ubuntu? I normally use Arch, btw, :lol: but I do appreciate the Debian-Ubuntu command line interface, and APT. I wish Debain would switch to something more like AUR rather than having to add PPA's for third party software, though.

EDIT- Image

Haven gotten this error on both installs, but haven't noticed high CPU usage people mentioned online when normally getting this crash.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

squidd wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 am
I went ahead and did a full re-install of Ubuntu Focal + Gnome & Wayland on my Crucial BX500 SSD, connected via SATA to USB (Startech) adapter. After reboot, the device is recognized, but it's about a 50/50 chance I get a black screen after petitboot. But I am able to boot the OS and it's much faster on the SSD than my Samsung FIT flash drive. The drive isn't plugged into a powered hub, so I suspect it could be a power issue? I've never had an issue on my other SBC's with this drive setup, though. Other than that everything is working great! Completely amazed by how smooth this is. Is there any way to use Gnome and Wayland on Debian instead of Ubuntu? I normally use Arch, btw, :lol: but I do appreciate the Debian-Ubuntu command line interface, and APT. I wish Debain would switch to something more like AUR rather than having to add PPA's for third party software, though.

EDIT- Image

Haven gotten this error on both installs, but haven't noticed high CPU usage people mentioned online when normally getting this crash.
Since not many users are running a desktop on Debian Buster than Ubuntu Focal Fossa, I've not tested much with it. But the last time, it worked...I would test it again. IMO, Ubuntu Desktop is a bit better than Debian one, fancy and more features.

For the display issue, would you be able to share the vendor/model of your display? And can you please share the output of cat /proc/cmdline when the display does not come?
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
squidd (Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:28 am)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

istanbulls wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:52 pm
istanbulls wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:12 am
tobetter wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:03 am
istanbulls wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:56 am
Something goes wrong if I start the Android system and turn it off again and turn Ubuntu 20.04 Fatal back on. I cannot enter the desktop. I have to do ALT F2 and I have to do ALT F1 again to enter the desktop.
Odroid Ubuntu Mate or CoreElec has no problem .. Just got this problem on Tobetter's Ubuntu-Goneme desktop. 5.4, ​​5.7, 5.8 All versions have the same problem.
Do you mean the problem happens when you start Ubuntu Desktop after rebooting from Android? Interesting...Do you use SD or eMMC for Android?
Yes,
On Android eMMC
Other OS's in ssd

Android OS is adding files to other partitions after it boots up, I suspect it.
I am having the same problem with uSD. Ubuntu Mate won't break, CoreElec won't break. Only @tobetter's Ubuntu Gnome is breaking, interesting.

When I boot Android the Ubuntu Gnome on other uSD or SSD gets corrupted and does not enter the desktop.

To avoid this, when I start Android, I remove the uSD or SSD from N2.
What's the version of Android installed?

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

Lineageos 16

squidd

Post by squidd »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:33 am
squidd wrote:

EDIT- Image

Since not many users are running a desktop on Debian Buster than Ubuntu Focal Fossa, I've not tested much with it. But the last time, it worked...I would test it again. IMO, Ubuntu Desktop is a bit better than Debian one, fancy and more features.

For the display issue, would you be able to share the vendor/model of your display? And can you please share the output of cat /proc/cmdline when the display does not come?
So, for some reason I don't think it was trying to boot from the correct partition? For whatever reason I believe either sda1 or sda2 was being recognized by petitboot later than the other. I had default settings after I upgraded to the newer version of petit, and I think I was not seeing some of the output when it was trying to recognize devices due to it trying to connect to the default gateway on my network. Now, I cannot get it to boot at all, so will need to start from scratch, no problem though. It is definitely not a display issue, though.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

squidd wrote:

EDIT- Image

Last edited by istanbulls on Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author istanbulls for the post:
squidd (Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:17 am)

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

squidd wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:21 pm
Thanks to tobetter and everyone involved in the development of this tool & image! Although I usually stick to Arch, Gnome + Wayland on Ubuntu is very smooth on this device. The best desktop experience for the N2+ I've used so far.

I was able to get this https://github.com/monkaBlyat/docker-chromium-armhf installed, but there is no GPU acceleration in chrome://gpu, but the chromium-docker image does install just & open just fine. Netflix DOES play, but it's very choppy. I wouldn't know how to tweak anything to get it working better, but maybe someone here does?

Thanks again! Today I will try a debian install to a SSD. I didn't realize it would be that easy to get this board to boot an OS via USB.
Thanks for the tip.
Netflix is ​​not satisfactory as there is no hardware acceleration.
But it was very useful for spotify, thanks again :)
Netflix would work great if such a work was done for Friefox :)
squidd (Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:17 am)

squidd

Post by squidd »

No problem on the chromium-docker. There are different versions of it floating around out there for different hardware. This version I believe was made for the RPi 4. But Manjaro and Pine64 have a version for the Pinebook Pro that works almost flawlessly for Netflix. The acceleration is enabled. So I believe there is a good chance that someone here can get it working for the N2/N2+, but it needs some tweaking. Maybe it's a driver issue. Spotify, yeah, all day 8-)

As for my black screen error, I've been testing this afternoon, and my SSD is either faulty, or not getting enough power. Everything has been working fine on if I install to a regular flash drive. I have a newer Samsung Fit flash drive, that is really fast (for a flash drive) so it's surprisingly fast, just not as fast as the SSD. I am installing to an emmc now, to see what that looks like. I really think it's a power issue, but all of my other SSD's are inside my gaming rig right now, so am unable to test.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

squidd wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:22 am
No problem on the chromium-docker. There are different versions of it floating around out there for different hardware. This version I believe was made for the RPi 4. But Manjaro and Pine64 have a version for the Pinebook Pro that works almost flawlessly for Netflix. The acceleration is enabled. So I believe there is a good chance that someone here can get it working for the N2/N2+, but it needs some tweaking. Maybe it's a driver issue. Spotify, yeah, all day 8-)

As for my black screen error, I've been testing this afternoon, and my SSD is either faulty, or not getting enough power. Everything has been working fine on if I install to a regular flash drive. I have a newer Samsung Fit flash drive, that is really fast (for a flash drive) so it's surprisingly fast, just not as fast as the SSD. I am installing to an emmc now, to see what that looks like. I really think it's a power issue, but all of my other SSD's are inside my gaming rig right now, so am unable to test.
I had a rockpro64, they have been using Chromium-docker for about 1 year. I didn't know it was working with N2. :)

I remember the problem with the N2 is it has the G52 GPU. Other GPUs were supported before and I remember or guess that more progress has been made. I may have misunderstood the topics I read.

chromium-armhf has a sound problem, when I run chromium-armhf I cannot get sound in another page or program. That's why Spotify is not very useful for me right now.

Code: Select all

[1:219:1015/221225.153765:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[743:743:1015/221225.157946:ERROR:alsa_util.cc(204)] PcmOpen: default,Device or resource busy
[743:743:1015/221225.158437:ERROR:alsa_util.cc(204)] PcmOpen: plug:default,Device or resource busy
I have some experience with SSD.
I have 2 SSDs, one on first try sometimes turns on, sometimes I try to start with 3-4 tries.
Another one goes into standby mode when booting. The led on the SSD goes off, I disconnect and re-plug the usb connection, it works and the boot continues where it left off.

In the forum and other forums, I found out that such problems are caused by the USB3 adapter chip.
I think this USB3 adapter chip is the source of the problem we are having.
I'm trying to find out which chip N2 and Tobetter are most compatible with Ubuntu-Gnome.
Maybe we can create a whitelist with the help of other friends :)
superpowter77 (Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:24 pm)

squidd

Post by squidd »

Thoughts? I think it will work.
These users thanked the author squidd for the post:
superpowter77 (Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:23 pm)

superpowter77
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: N2(x2),N2+,C4,HC4

Post by superpowter77 »

istanbulls wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:45 am
squidd wrote:

I had a rockpro64, they have been using Chromium-docker for about 1 year. I didn't know it was working with N2. :)

I remember the problem with the N2 is it has the G52 GPU. Other GPUs were supported before and I remember or guess that more progress has been made. I may have misunderstood the topics I read.

chromium-armhf has a sound problem, when I run chromium-armhf I cannot get sound in another page or program. That's why Spotify is not very useful for me right now.

[1:219:1015/221225.153765:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[743:743:1015/221225.157946:ERROR:alsa_util.cc(204)] PcmOpen: default,Device or resource busy
[743:743:1015/221225.158437:ERROR:alsa_util.cc(204)] PcmOpen: plug:default,Device or resource busy
I have 2 SSDs, one on first try sometimes turns on, sometimes I try to start with 3-4 tries.
Another one goes into standby mode when booting. The led on the SSD goes off, I disconnect and re-plug the usb connection, it works and the boot continues where it left off.

In the forum and other forums, I found out that such problems are caused by the USB3 adapter chip.
I'm trying to find out which chip N2 and Tobetter are most compatible with Ubuntu-Gnome.
I know the feeling, I get exactly same USB3 SSD booting issues on my N2 and N2+, and trust me I tried a lot to make it work with different SSD drives and several USB3 to SATA adapters. Even my Raspi 4 and RockPi4C are using NVMe storage now. There's a reason whey I boot from eMMC only and use one(1) large SSD drive as secondary drive on my N2 and N2+.

superpowter77

Post by superpowter77 »

istanbulls wrote:
squidd wrote:

What about a blacklist as well?. I will fill it out quickly.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

superpowter77 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:25 pm
What about a blacklist as well?. I will fill it out quickly.
:D

I had no problems with Ubuntu-Mate and Coreelec. I haven't tried any other OS. Maybe boot.ini boot.scr difference is causing this problem, I'm not sure.

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

squidd wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 am

Looks nice.
Wonder what the USB-Sata adapter chip is.

superpowter77

Post by superpowter77 »

istanbulls wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:32 pm
squidd wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 am

Looks nice.
Wonder what the USB-Sata adapter chip is.
Micron JMS583. I prefer RTL9210 which is newer, runs 10% faster and it's much cooler.
A Double-Sided M.2 2280 Heat Sink is advisable too:
https://www.amazon.com/heatsink-double- ... 865&sr=8-3

These users thanked the author superpowter77 for the post:
istanbulls (Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:44 pm)

squidd

Post by squidd »

superpowter77 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 pm
istanbulls wrote:
squidd wrote:

I know the feeling, I get exactly same USB3 SSD booting issues on my N2 and N2+, and trust me I tried a lot to make it work with different SSD drives and several USB3 to SATA adapters. Even my Raspi 4 and RockPi4C are using NVMe storage now. There's a reason whey I boot from eMMC only and use one(1) large SSD drive as secondary drive on my N2 and N2+.
you just copying your 2nd parition to the SSD, and then mounting the SSD with uuid and specifying rootfs?

superpowter77

Post by superpowter77 »

squidd wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:58 pm
superpowter77 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 pm
istanbulls wrote:
squidd wrote:

you just copying your 2nd parition to the SSD, and then mounting the SSD with uuid and specifying rootfs?
Not really, in my case SSD is strictly dedicated for storage. eMMC has proven so far to be reliable and rock solid stable for production environments. Having to rely on USB3 to SATA adapters for storage have been always a hit or miss. That's why I always prefer native solutions such as external SSD drives as Samsung T5 or Sandisk Extreme Portable which are always preferred over cheap and unreliable USB to SATA adapter solutions.
Upcoming HC4 looks very promising for some of us dealing with limited storage support in our N2+ and N2 SBC's.

squidd

Post by squidd »

superpowter77 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:24 am
Not really, in my case SSD is strictly dedicated for storage. eMMC has proven so far to be reliable and rock solid stable for production environments. Having to rely on USB3 to SATA adapters for storage have been always a hit or miss. That's why I always prefer native solutions such as external SSD drives as Samsung T5 or Sandisk Extreme Portable which are always preferred over cheap and unreliable USB to SATA adapter solutions.
Upcoming HC4 looks very promising for some of us dealing with limited storage support in our N2+ and N2 SBC's.
That's actually a really good idea. Sometimes those Sandisks go on sale @ Amazon. Very good deals. I am really curious about the NVMe to USB adapters though. I wonder if there is much of a noticeable difference due to the N2+'s USB chip.

superpowter77

Post by superpowter77 »

squidd wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:54 am
superpowter77 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:24 am
That's actually a really good idea. Sometimes those Sandisks go on sale @ Amazon. Very good deals. I am really curious about the NVMe to USB adapters though. I wonder if there is much of a noticeable difference due to the N2+'s USB chip.
There isn't, GL3523 Hub controller on N2/N2+ will act as a bottleneck to NVMe faster transfer speeds. You will get between 20-30% faster transfer speeds when Trim and UAS are supported on NVMe to USB3 adapters. Same Rule applies to USB3 to SATA adapters.
Fastest I've ever got on my N2+ is 409Mb/sec (UAS and TRIM enabled) w/ a Samsung T5 external SSD drive.
Fastest on NVMe to USB3 adapter with generic RTL9210 chipset is 415MB/sec (w/ a Samsung 970EVO plus m.2 NVMe drive)
Tested it with custom tobetter Ubuntu-desktop w/Gnome/wayland and 5.8 kernel.

alphahere
ODROIDs: odroid n2

Re: Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer

Post by alphahere »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:10 am
Ark wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:25 am
I'm using ubuntu 20.04 with kernel 5.7 from this thread, and I can't seems to get real time clock working even though I've already plugged in the battery module, using

hwclock -r
shows :

hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
hwclock: Use the --verbose option to see the details of our search for an access method.
do I have to install the driver or compile it first? is there any instruction on how to do it? thanks.
You need a kernel patch which I am preparing, please wait for several days more.
Was this ever fixed I get the following error.
# hwclock
hwclock: select() to /dev/rtc0 to wait for clock tick timed out

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

alphahere wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:40 am
tobetter wrote:
Ark wrote:
I'm using ubuntu 20.04 with kernel 5.7 from this thread, and I can't seems to get real time clock working even though I've already plugged in the battery module, using

hwclock -r
shows :

hwclock: Use the --verbose option to see the details of our search for an access method.
do I have to install the driver or compile it first? is there any instruction on how to do it? thanks.
You need a kernel patch which I am preparing, please wait for several days more.
# hwclock
RTC patch is already applied, what's your current kernel version?

alphahere

Post by alphahere »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:04 am
alphahere wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:40 am
tobetter wrote:
Ark wrote:

hwclock -r
shows :

# hwclock
RTC patch is already applied, what's your current kernel version?
This is with a N2Plus. The battery is new and correctly installed according to the wiki.
Latest kernel from http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr
Linux n2plus 5.8.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.8.14-202010160156~focal (2020-10-15) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

# hwclock

# ls /dev/rtc* -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      4 Apr  1  2020 /dev/rtc -> rtc0
crw------- 1 root root 252, 0 Apr  1  2020 /dev/rtc0
Do I have a configuration problem? Never could get sound from the spdif with this kernel either.

Loaded up the official ubuntu focal image from odroid wiki and it works fine with hwclock and spdif:
Linux odroid 4.9.230-89 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jul 14 13:08:17 UTC 2020 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

# hwclock
2020-10-21 17:21:56.842907+00:00
Thanks

alphahere

Post by alphahere »

I also noted that rtc_pcf8563 module was not loaded with 5.8 kernel but force loading this module changed nothing. According to search results this module must be loaded for rtc to work on the odroid n2+.

nick793
ODROIDs: N2, GO
Has thanked: 0

Post by nick793 »

@tobetter, thanks so much for all your work here :)

Is there any chance that the kernel might switch over to 5.9.1 now that it's marked stable on kernel.org? Or is that still pending some more work or compatibility fixes?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

nick793 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:17 am
@tobetter, thanks so much for all your work here :)

Is there any chance that the kernel might switch over to 5.9.1 now that it's marked stable on kernel.org? Or is that still pending some more work or compatibility fixes?
Actually 5.9 package is already being updated to my repository with 5.9.0 and I've tested for headless only yet.
I've merge the v5.9.1 and will add to the build queue for testing. Once the testing is done, I will inform you guys here again when it's ready.

In case if you like to install 5.9.0 kernel for headless, please run the commands. I guess desktop will also work, but do upgrade at your own risk. :o

sudo apt update
sudo apt install linux-image-5.9.0-odroid-arm64

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

alphahere wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:44 am
I also noted that rtc_pcf8563 module was not loaded with 5.8 kernel but force loading this module changed nothing. According to search results this module must be loaded for rtc to work on the odroid n2+.
Sorry, somehow RTC is deprecated for N2/N2Plus with 5.8 kernel. I've fixed the build and will publish the new package after sanity test.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
alphahere (Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:39 pm)

MamkinHacker

Post by MamkinHacker »

There is a new update for ubuntu 20.10. Is it save to update or I should stay on 20.04?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

MamkinHacker wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:36 pm
There is a new update for ubuntu 20.10. Is it save to update or I should stay on 20.04?
I think, you should not update to 20.10 if your OS is updating from my kernel since I am not building any package for 20.10 and I guess your system could ruins once you start to upgrade to 20.10. Can you share the reason to run 20.10?

MamkinHacker

Post by MamkinHacker »

tobetter wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:41 pm
MamkinHacker wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:36 pm
I think, you should not update to 20.10 if your OS is updating from my kernel since I am not building any package for 20.10 and I guess your system could ruins once you start to upgrade to 20.10. Can you share the reason to run 20.10?
Eh, nothing special, just wanted to try fresh packages :D

trwn2p
ODROIDs: N2 Plus

Post by trwn2p »

Brad just gave me the conservative philosophy of tobetter and himself. It really comes down to if ya want to use their work you get stuck on old crusty Linux stuff. Ubuntu will never offer Gnome 3.38.x on 20.04 so that's what you'll get plus other old stuff no matter what few packages drives the display. I like the work just not this decision.

Running groovy apt update && apt upgrade every week or 2 isn't a stress to me for the payoff I get. This is why KDE-Plasma puts out Neon version of Ubuntu to showcase their work and offer it to users even though it's on a LTS base. (I hold some conservative views just not on Linux which is about freedom js)

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

Yes I think there are 2 different views of this from Ubuntu's perspective

1) be on the bleeding edge of packages which are not supported for long and may not work as expected (great for testing or development but no so good for stability)
2) Stay on a long term release where things will work for years to come (with critical packages being updated for security and bug fixes and some new hardware additions)

The issue with new hardware is software support is constantly evolving and users want / need new packages. tobetter does a great job at keeping the kernel and other packages up to date with newer releases and with customizations for odroid hardware as they become available. Many of these features are not supported even in even 20.10 as yet but the idea I think is to place them and make avaliable into a stable long term release like Focal.

I for one want to see panfrost support added as it stabilizes so currently working on the mesa packages for mesa 20.3.x / panfrost (they are development releases only at the moment), im also working on updating some other packages for a project i'm using (Navit for navigation, VLC for audio/ video & chromium). Have already made some contributions to bring ffmpeg version up and tobetter is very helpful to accommodate some of these things where appropriate :)

If we ask nicely and when he has some time he maybe able to add the repositories for some of the critical packages to groovy so we can receive kernel updates and odroid bootloaders. Without this you are going to need to manage your kernel and boot-loader manually without the use of apt update / upgrade.
These users thanked the author brad for the post:
istanbulls (Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:06 pm)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

I've been adviced by some users who give the feedback about the package in my repository server to stay with Ubuntu 20.04 for sometime, and my prority concern is stability in two perspective - 1) ODROID system must be stable and 2) package should not be broken with new package update. I am running my build and package server at home and I am testing new packages almost every night before publishing them. Adding new distro causes yet another set of effort what I have to take which is not small, maybe small but not to me.

I've mentioned in the previous post, I am a big fan of Qt/KDE, not Gtk/Gnome. I am looking forward to seeing to run KDE on ODROID SBC sometime soon, maybe Panfrost would be the solution rather than ARM Mali blob. Supporting Panfrost is not the work in the kernel, it requires more...I am seeing a chance to add Panfrost along with ARM Mali blob, but not today...since I am already running my full effort I can handle.

Most users do not know my repository server is already running and provide the Netboot Installer for ODROID-C2 and ODROID-XU4. In other word, I spent a lot of time to run the server for very small users. My server becomes busy since ODROID-N2 is released and supporting Wayland Desktop. I am chcking the count of the download the installer and OS updates from my server, based on this I decide what to do next. Maybe some point, Ubuntu 20.10 would be available in my repository server when I am able to publish. If this happens, I will update it here.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 2):
istanbulls (Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:10 pm) • alphahere (Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:06 pm)

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

This project needs support (material and spiritual), it needs feedback, it needs software support, we all need to do something, it can contribute with positive energy that can do nothing.

Thanks again to all the people who contributed...
squidd (Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:56 pm)

squidd

Post by squidd »

I am back to using this image, Focal 20.04 as a headless system, with Plex, Webmin, qBitorrent-nox. It's working very well. It is much faster than the equivalent setup using an RPi4. My only issue is, it was having a hard time booting from SSD in SPI mode. So I transferred my entire install over to an SD card, and moved the switch to the other position. It's booting fine, but I would like to boot from the SD card, and run my rootfs from the SSD. Anyone have any idea of why it may not be booting from the SSD? It's still booting from the SD card. I ran rsync -avx / and copied my root to the SSD which was pre-formatted as EXT4. I have attempted to mount the SSD in fstab with UUID and /dev/sda1 with no luck. It's still mounting the rootfs that is still present on the SD card. The way I'm doing this has worked in the past with other devices. Is there something I am missing?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

squidd wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:54 pm
I am back to using this image, Focal 20.04 as a headless system, with Plex, Webmin, qBitorrent-nox. It's working very well. It is much faster than the equivalent setup using an RPi4. My only issue is, it was having a hard time booting from SSD in SPI mode. So I transferred my entire install over to an SD card, and moved the switch to the other position. It's booting fine, but I would like to boot from the SD card, and run my rootfs from the SSD. Anyone have any idea of why it may not be booting from the SSD? It's still booting from the SD card. I ran rsync -avx / and copied my root to the SSD which was pre-formatted as EXT4. I have attempted to mount the SSD in fstab with UUID and /dev/sda1 with no luck. It's still mounting the rootfs that is still present on the SD card. The way I'm doing this has worked in the past with other devices. Is there something I am missing?

Can you please do run cat /proc/cmdline? I guess your boot script has not been modified after transfering the image.
By the way, what's the issue boot from SSD?

squidd

Post by squidd »

Tobetter, I was getting just a black screen after petitboot found my SSD and started the boot process. It's happened on other installs I've played around with after installed by your installer.

here is my cmdline Image

nick793
ODROIDs: N2, GO

Post by nick793 »

@tobetter, for some reason I keep getting dropped to a busybox initramfs prompt on reboot. It doesn't appear that there are any filesystem errors (fsck comes back clean), but after typing 'exit' boot continues and I see an error about selinux missing a file. The system otherwise seems fine, but I want to confirm, does this image use AppArmor or SELinux by default?

squidd

Post by squidd »

Can you please do run cat /proc/cmdline? I guess your boot script has not been modified after transfering the image.
It's taking very long for petitboot to recognize my SSD. It seems like it's only recognizing it after I enter any action on the keyboard.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

nick793 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:04 am
@tobetter, for some reason I keep getting dropped to a busybox initramfs prompt on reboot. It doesn't appear that there are any filesystem errors (fsck comes back clean), but after typing 'exit' boot continues and I see an error about selinux missing a file. The system otherwise seems fine, but I want to confirm, does this image use AppArmor or SELinux by default?
Can you please share the product of your storage for the root file system?
By default the kernel has the flags for AppArmor and SELinux, but security features are not configured by me.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

squidd wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:19 am
It's taking very long for petitboot to recognize my SSD. It seems like it's only recognizing it after I enter any action on the keyboard.
What's the product of your SSD and capacity?
Does this error happened earlier as well or happened after updating?

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

nick793 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:04 am
selinux is enabled in the kernel but disabled / not installed in userspace by default (unless you installed it?)

If you do have it installed and active (even in permissive mode) it might relabel the entire filesystem on boot (but I think it will do this after any possibility of dropping you into a busy box prompt). I have no ideas about apparmour though ive never used it

Eg: after enabling selinux in userspace it relabled my 64Gb emmc (27Gb used) in around 10 mins and then rebooted (but no dropping into busybox)

*** Warning -- SELinux default policy relabel is required.
*** Relabeling could take a very long time, depending on file
*** system size and speed of hard drives.
         Starting Hostname Service...
[  OK  ] Started Hostname Service.
         Starting Save/Restore Sound Card State...
[  OK  ] Finished Save/Restore Sound Card State.
[  OK  ] Reached target Sound Card.
Warning: Skipping the following R/O filesystems:
/sys/fs/cgroup
Relabeling / /dev /dev/hugepages /dev/mqueue /dev/pts /dev/shm /run /run/lock /sys /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset /sys/fs/cgroup/devices /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb /sys/fs/cgroup/memory /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event /sys/fs/cgroup/pids /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd /sys/fs/cgroup/unified /sys/fs/pstore /sys/kernel/debug
/ 100.0%
/dev 100.0%
/dev/hugepages 100.0%
Warning no default label for /dev/mqueue
/dev/mqueue 100.0%
/dev/pts 100.0%
/dev/shm 100.0%
/run 100.0%
/run/lock 100.0%
/sys 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio
/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct
/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset
/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/devices
/sys/fs/cgroup/devices 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer
/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb
/sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/memory
/sys/fs/cgroup/memory 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio
/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event
/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/pids
/sys/fs/cgroup/pids 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma
/sys/fs/cgroup/rdma 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd
/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd 100.0%
Warning no default label for /sys/fs/cgroup/unified
/sys/fs/cgroup/unified 100.0%
/sys/fs/pstore 100.0%
/sys/kernel/debug 100.0%

Cleaning up labels on /tmp
[  713.071438] reboot: Restarting system

istanbulls

Post by istanbulls »

I discovered an interesting bug.
When I first installed SMPlayer, it usually wasn't working. Maybe a few days later he was working.
When I installed Subtitle Composer I noticed it was working.
The way to run SMPlayer for me is to install Subtitle Composer. :)
This is a valid solution for N2 and C4 variants.

Return to “Projects”