Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post Reply
mxmilkb
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:28 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mxmilkb » Fri May 22, 2020 11:18 pm

Looking at wikipedia; "In television and consumer media, 3840 × 2160 (4K UHD) is the dominant 4K standard, whereas the movie projection industry uses 4096 × 2160 (DCI 4K)."

Sav
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:33 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-n2
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Sav » Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 pm

mxmilkb wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:18 pm
Looking at wikipedia; "In television and consumer media, 3840 × 2160 (4K UHD) is the dominant 4K standard, whereas the movie projection industry uses 4096 × 2160 (DCI 4K)."
OT: something like this
https://it.jvc.com/pro/videoproiettori- ... DLA-RS640/

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 7642
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 183 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by rooted » Sat May 23, 2020 2:56 am


tobetter wrote:
ricklar wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:58 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:05 pm
@gentillo, by any chance, if you had flashed CE Nightly Build, you should try another version 20200511. Recently I acknowledged that CE team changed their boot script and it is applied to the nightly build.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 200511.img
Thank you, this Petitboot 20200511 version works with Nightly CoreELEC. Still have the problem of Black_screen after reboot with both CE and Android with my 4k Vizio TV, think the problem is because TV has the additional setting of 4096x2160p24 than the standard 4K of 3840x2160p60, it is not big issue can easily change <TV HDMI-input> then switch back to Odroid-N2 input and TV resets resolution to be correct 2160p and screen is viewable again.
Thank you for sharing your experience, I am a bit surprised that your TV resolution is 4096x2160p24... :o
One of my TV's supports 4096x2160p up to 30hz, the other I got a couple weeks ago supports 4096x2160p24.

EDID: http://ix.io/2n0J

New TV:
Image

Going by the EDID of the new TV it seems to fully support 4096x2160 at all frequencies.

Sholander
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Sholander » Sun May 24, 2020 9:48 pm

I updated via OTA from "odroidn2-55-64bit-20200507" to "odroidn2-58-64bit-20200520" and everything went OK. But my problem using Petitboot is still present, it does not boot Android when it's installed on (Sandisk) uSD card, with CoreElec 9.2.2 installed on eMMC.
Android boots OK when SPI switch is in right (eMMC) position, but if I flip the switch to left (SPI) position and choose to boot Android, it does not work. Petitboot reboots and N2 gets stuck at black Hardkernel logo, with no power on USB ports: the same behavior as with fresh install of former "odroidn2-55-64bit-20200507" version.
This happens with both latest Petitboot versions "spiboot-20200508.img" and "spiboot-20200511.img".

With CoreElec 9.2.2 on eMMC and CoreElec nightly on uSD card Petitboot works OK and I can boot any OS I choose.
These users thanked the author Sholander for the post (total 2):
Rmiino (Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 pm) • miro002 (Fri May 29, 2020 4:32 pm)

User avatar
wrxtasy
Posts: 1300
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 1:59 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N2
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by wrxtasy » Fri May 29, 2020 7:00 pm

I've just been playing around with Petitboot as well - using - dev.20200224.
Switch in Left position, eMMC (Android) is recognised and presented as a boot option.... but

I too cannot get it to recognise a microSDHC with a known working CoreELEC image on it.
I swear this was working last time I tested, some months ago.

EDIT: used spiboot-20200511.img @tobetter supplied in previous page and Petitboot working again.

I REALLY wished the default boot behavior of the N2 (without Petitboot) was....

With both microSDHC & eMMC inserted--- > microSDHC had boot priority.
I do not know why HardKernel does this differently vs other AMLogic devices ?
Last edited by wrxtasy on Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kodi Hardware Guru

Sholander
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Sholander » Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Did you try with newer Petitboot versions https://bit.ly/35FYNWb (20200508) and http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 200511.img, which are not in official archive, but are reworked to work with new Android versions and CE nightlies ?

Sholander
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Sholander » Sun May 31, 2020 12:23 am

Sholander wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:48 pm
I updated via OTA from "odroidn2-55-64bit-20200507" to "odroidn2-58-64bit-20200520" and everything went OK. But my problem using Petitboot is still present, it does not boot Android when it's installed on (Sandisk) uSD card, with CoreElec 9.2.2 installed on eMMC.
Android boots OK when SPI switch is in right (eMMC) position, but if I flip the switch to left (SPI) position and choose to boot Android, it does not work. Petitboot reboots and N2 gets stuck at black Hardkernel logo, with no power on USB ports: the same behavior as with fresh install of former "odroidn2-55-64bit-20200507" version.
This happens with both latest Petitboot versions "spiboot-20200508.img" and "spiboot-20200511.img".

With CoreElec 9.2.2 on eMMC and CoreElec nightly on uSD card Petitboot works OK and I can boot any OS I choose.
@tobetter Just to inform you, I solved my Android Petitboot problem :mrgreen:

Since my USB-UART adapter is still on the way, or lost somewhere, I took some time to make new tests. First I used "SPI Recovery Image" with replaced original spiboot.img with latest version ( 20200511) to wipe all SPI data and start fresh. Got latest Petitboot version, but no change - Android still did not start. Then I put latest Petitboot version on my Android uSD card and updated SPI-Petitboot again. And THAT has fixed everything. Now both my Android versions boot OK via Petitboot with CoreElec on eMMC. (The eMMC module was disconnected all the time while updating Petitboot)

So, putting spiboot.img on a working 64bit Android installation on uSD and updating - fixed everything. Before I ALWAYS used my CoreElec uSD installation for updating Petitboot, and have not seen anywhere that there should be any difference. I think that it has to do with different u-boot versions from these OSs, but not sure if that is the only reason...

lightsout
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by lightsout » Sun May 31, 2020 1:22 am

Hmmm, that's weird, I always use the uSD, where android is, to update petiboot. Still have the issue, been a while since I tested but I think I am on the recent petiboot release.

Sholander
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Sholander » Sun May 31, 2020 2:36 am

Yes, weird... On uSD card that you use to update Petitboot 20200511 what version of Android is installed?
On my uSD card, with which I fixed dual boot, I have a fresh installation of "selfinstall-odroidn2-58-64bit-20200520" image; burned the card with Etcher, finished Android installation and my settings with only uSD card inserted on N2; eMMC module was removed.

lightsout
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by lightsout » Sun May 31, 2020 3:13 am

Sholander wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:36 am
Yes, weird... On uSD card that you use to update Petitboot 20200511 what version of Android is installed?
On my uSD card, with which I fixed dual boot, I have a fresh installation of "selfinstall-odroidn2-58-64bit-20200520" image; burned the card with Etcher, finished Android installation and my settings with only uSD card inserted on N2; eMMC module was removed.
I'll look into it, I am using one of the Android TV roms from the forum here. I think the dev's name is Secuflag?

Sholander
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Sholander » Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 am

Just today I fresh installed his new R.11 ATV version (works perfect :), but did not use that uSD card to update Petitboot...
I think the point is to use a new version of Android, one with new black Hardkernel logo...

lightsout
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by lightsout » Sun May 31, 2020 3:55 am

I didn't realize there were newer versions of petiboot floating around, I guess its like madvr you have to read the whole thread or you miss releases. Updating to 0511 now.

lightsout
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by lightsout » Sun May 31, 2020 7:04 am

I got it working, oddly when I switched over to emmc, it tried to boot from Android on the SD card and failed every time
in an endless boot cycle. It's been doing that for me for a while now.

Doesn't matter though because Coreelec is running great, don't even know why I am messing with Android I never use it.

Sholander
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Sholander » Sun May 31, 2020 6:43 pm

lightsout wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:55 am
I didn't realize there were newer versions of petiboot floating around, I guess its like madvr you have to read the whole thread or you miss releases.
Yes, it's also not clear to me why the latest official version on Wiki is from February (20200224), which does NOT work with new Android versions.
Don't see any reason why the new version 20200511 is not there since on new Android versions this is listed as a known issue "Petitboot User need to update next version". To find this "next" version you have to dig into this thread. Pretty sloppy in my opinion...

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 5113
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 509 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:40 am

Sholander wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:43 pm
lightsout wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:55 am
I didn't realize there were newer versions of petiboot floating around, I guess its like madvr you have to read the whole thread or you miss releases.
Yes, it's also not clear to me why the latest official version on Wiki is from February (20200224), which does NOT work with new Android versions.
Don't see any reason why the new version 20200511 is not there since on new Android versions this is listed as a known issue "Petitboot User need to update next version". To find this "next" version you have to dig into this thread. Pretty sloppy in my opinion...
Sorry for the inconvenient. It's because I didn't update the 20200511 version which is not tested and I wanted to fix a couple of minor issues including the uSD issues after version 20200508, meantime Android is released. So I've updated the Wiki and my repository to provide the upgrade image.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 5113
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 509 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:42 am

lightsout wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:04 am
I got it working, oddly when I switched over to emmc, it tried to boot from Android on the SD card and failed every time
in an endless boot cycle. It's been doing that for me for a while now.

Doesn't matter though because Coreelec is running great, don't even know why I am messing with Android I never use it.
I found the bug in U-boot that happens when CE sits in eMMC and Android in uSD. It's been fixed and the patch is submitted to CE U-boot, I believe next nightly build will have the fix.

Sholander
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by Sholander » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:33 pm

tobetter wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:42 am
I found the bug in U-boot that happens when CE sits in eMMC and Android in uSD. It's been fixed and the patch is submitted to CE U-boot, I believe next nightly build will have the fix.
I'm glad and happy that this has been finally sorted out, began to worry that my N2 is at fault...
Thanx for your help, and keep up your great work, as it makes us all happy :mrgreen:

alex_nemo
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:50 pm
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by alex_nemo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:21 am

Please, compile 2 version PetitBoot: with and without LAN/PXE! Or that there would be an opportunity to prohibit downloading over the network (PXE)!
Is it possible to use alternative bootloaders - Grub(2) or Lilo?!!

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7933
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 517 times
Been thanked: 352 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mad_ady » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:10 am

Maybe eth0 state can be set through an env or boot.ini parameter insted.

LILO has been dead for 15 years now, why ressurect it? And grub is nice, but petitboot is nicer (imho) since it gives you full linux userspace in the bootloader.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 5113
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 509 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:17 am

alex_nemo wrote:Please, compile 2 version PetitBoot: with and without LAN/PXE! Or that there would be an opportunity to prohibit downloading over the network (PXE)!
Is it possible to use alternative bootloaders - Grub(2) or Lilo?!!
Sorry, I don't get what's the matter having PXE on the Petitboot. PXE only works when you enable it or your DHCP server support for it.

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"


lightsout
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by lightsout » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:05 am

Sholander wrote:
tobetter wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:42 am
I found the bug in U-boot that happens when CE sits in eMMC and Android in uSD. It's been fixed and the patch is submitted to CE U-boot, I believe next nightly build will have the fix.
I'm glad and happy that this has been finally sorted out, began to worry that my N2 is at fault...
Thanx for your help, and keep up your great work, as it makes us all happy :mrgreen:
Great indeed. I was thinking the same thing that maybe the N2 was faulty. Thanks OP!

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 5113
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 509 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Just for the record, the Petitboot 20191127 has been hit 1000 downloads. :mrgreen:
Screenshot from 2020-06-04 13-00-53.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-04 13-00-53.png (30.73 KiB) Viewed 123 times
And next stable version 20200224 hits 700+.
Screenshot from 2020-06-04 11-05-49.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-04 11-05-49.png (48 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Thanks for downloading and sorry for the pending issues still not resolved yet. :(
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 8):
rooted (Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:17 pm) • mad_ady (Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:21 pm) • minoccio (Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:22 pm) • odroid (Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:52 pm) • secuflag (Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:10 pm) • istanbulls (Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:39 pm) • bright_plastik (Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:04 am) • Sav (Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:53 pm)

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7933
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 517 times
Been thanked: 352 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by mad_ady » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:21 pm

Great job!

istanbulls
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 pm
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID N2
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by istanbulls » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:49 pm

Congratulations,
For my N2, PETITBOOT is a my must-have.
These users thanked the author istanbulls for the post:
rpineau (Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:53 am)

Post Reply

Return to “Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests