shanti
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid N2

Re: emuELEC Alpha version for the N2 * UPDATED*

Unread post by shanti » Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 am

Ize wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 pm
Any updates? :D
Sorry I haven't been able to work on it, since I have an injured arm and I am limiting my computer time. But as soon as I can I will post it here.

UrQuan3
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2, Odroid-Go, XU4(died)
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by UrQuan3 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:01 am

But I am not sure if the audio port in front is enabled, I never thought about that. I will check it out
Have a chance to look at this yet? I have everything else working beautifully, but very few of my use cases involve a screen that supports HDMI audio. For one especially difficult old plasma, I had to hardwire DVI mode and 720p in /flash/config.ini, but it works.

Do you think there is a setting somewhere I can change, or is this a recompile kernel type thing? I tried a bunch of settings in ES with no luck. I looked in "pactl list short sinks", but it only reports the "auto_null" sink. I'm not sure what else to try.

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Wed May 29, 2019 4:25 pm

You can try and create a AML-AUGESOUND.conf file in /storage/.config/ and base it off this one https://github.com/shantigilbert/EmuELE ... SOUND.conf

I think what you can try is playing with the device here

Code: Select all

AML-AUGESOUND.pcm.default {
	@args [ CARD ]
	@args.CARD { type string }
	type softvol
	slave.pcm {
		type plug
		slave {
			pcm {
				type hw
				card $CARD
				device 0
			}
		}
	}
	control {
		name "PCM Playback Volume"
		card $CARD
	}
}
maybe set it to device 1 and see if that works, you should not need to reboot on each change but try it just in case.

Ize
ODROIDs: N2
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ize » Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm

shanti wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 am
Sorry I haven't been able to work on it, since I have an injured arm and I am limiting my computer time. But as soon as I can I will post it here.
No problem, get well soon :D

UrQuan3

Unread post by UrQuan3 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:44 pm

I totally missed your post about hurting your arm. Now I feel like a real jerk. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what I can make of it.

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 am

UrQuan3 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:44 pm
I totally missed your post about hurting your arm. Now I feel like a real jerk. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what I can make of it.
No worries! :)

hopefully you can find a solution with that file.

UrQuan3

Unread post by UrQuan3 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:10 am

YES! Got it, (sort of). Having never touched Linux audio config, this was probably pretty dirty. Let me document both so I remember and to help others.

All three sound devices show up in "aplay -l", but only hdmi shows up in "aplay -L". Like shanti said, only hdmi is configured for alsa. I may keep trying, but I could not for the life of me figure out the alsa file syntax or what input data was needed. However, "aplay -l showed that the line_out was at hw:0,1 (HDMI is hw:0,0 and is the default), so the system knows about it.

/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf loads from four locations. One is /storage/.config/asound.conf (aka ~/.config/asound.conf). Following the instructions from hardkernel here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/appli ... note/sound I created /storage/.config/asound.conf with only this inside of it:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
}
}
(quote does not save spacing, don't think it matters)

I think this is overriding all other settings and forcing audio from the line_out only. Not a good general purpose solution, but it works if you need analog audio.

UrQuan3

Unread post by UrQuan3 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:21 am

Also, another unrelated thing. If you are having trouble getting a monitor to cooperate, here is how to force a resolution and output mode:

The video override settings are stored in /flash/config.ini. For instance, for an old plasma I had to uncomment the line "hdmimode='720p60hz'" and later the line "vout_mode='dvi'". (DVI and HDMI are not the same thing). However, most of the filesystem in CoreELEC is mounted read-only to protect it from crazy people like me. To modify the file you need to remount the directory in read-write mode.
mount -o remount,rw /flash

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:40 am

UrQuan3 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:10 am
YES! Got it, (sort of). Having never touched Linux audio config, this was probably pretty dirty. Let me document both so I remember and to help others.

All three sound devices show up in "aplay -l", but only hdmi shows up in "aplay -L". Like shanti said, only hdmi is configured for alsa. I may keep trying, but I could not for the life of me figure out the alsa file syntax or what input data was needed. However, "aplay -l showed that the line_out was at hw:0,1 (HDMI is hw:0,0 and is the default), so the system knows about it.

/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf loads from four locations. One is /storage/.config/asound.conf (aka ~/.config/asound.conf). Following the instructions from hardkernel here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/appli ... note/sound I created /storage/.config/asound.conf with only this inside of it:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
}
}
(quote does not save spacing, don't think it matters)

I think this is overriding all other settings and forcing audio from the line_out only. Not a good general purpose solution, but it works if you need analog audio.
Awesome! I am glad it works, just one question, if you remove the asound.conf does the sound go back to normal? do you need to reboot? Asking because I could probably make a script to switch the output.

UrQuan3

Unread post by UrQuan3 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:15 am

I went and checked. Renaming the file (using ssh) while an emulator is running does not instantly kill sound. However, leaving the emulator and restarting it does. I also forced myself to go check on the one TV I have that supports HDMI audio and yes, turning on the line_out disables HDMI audio. Hardkernel had implied that only one audio out could be active at one time.

This doesn't feel like the "right" way to do it, but it does work. If you decide to mess with a script, "hw:0,0" is the hdmi, "hw:0,1" is the line_out, and "hw:0,2" is the SPDIF. I might copy some of this into an FAQ instead.

Thank you for all your work on this. I needed FBAlpha working by mid July and was starting to sweat it.
These users thanked the author UrQuan3 for the post:
shanti (Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:17 pm)

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Ize wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 pm
Any updates? :D
There is a test version of the add-on for the N2, please go to this link

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/sx05re ... 2?u=shanti

Ize

Unread post by Ize » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:47 am

thanks for the test version :D

i've tried it and this is my result:

installation took around ~4 minutes (can't really tell since there's no feedback :P) but that's when when the cpu usage in kodi went down and the filesystem size stayed the same... to be sure i waited another 10 minutes and started the addon.

emuElec 2.5.3 launches into emulationstation and wants me to config my gamepad (ok so far), after doing this it detects my roms.

i have added some nes and snes roms and emulationstation shows them, however there are no image previews or video snaps, however image previews show up if you change the ui mode from automatic to detailed... video previews won't start at all

and now comes the bad part, when i try to launch a game, no matter if it's nes or snes, the screen flashes black for second and returns to emulationstation, which then runs super laggy with about 22 fps instead of the full 60 it ran at before.

so i can't launch games :(

i've then tried to launch retroarch from the quit menu but that just throws me back into kodi.

i've attached the logs i could find, maybe they are of some help to get it working. :)
Attachments
kodi.old.log
(46.25 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
es_log.txt
(52.02 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
emulationstation.log
(4.11 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
emuelec.log
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:39 am

The installation takes around 4-5 minutes, its a big add-on, that is normal, as soon as the icon appears its ready to go.

About the previews, I don't know exactly whats going on, I have all of my roms scraped and video previews works fine, are you sure they are scraped correctly?

Retroarch seems to be segfaulting, does the same happens with other cores? like NES?

Retroarch can be started from Kodi, if you go into the add-on settings you can see an option there.

Ize

Unread post by Ize » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:32 am

I had my roms scraped already from my raspberry installation and just copied the folders.

I've tried nes and snes, both with the same result.

Retroarch seems to work but is misconfigured somehow.
See the screenshot

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:41 am

This is really strange... I don't have any of these problems I will double check later tonight to see if this is something on the addon.

It might also be that it didn't install properly.

Ize

Unread post by Ize » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:15 pm

i have partially fixed it
games are now launching and i get video :D

i had to create the folders game.retroarch and game.emulationstation under the kodi addon path cause they weren't there.
it seems emulationstation only picks up images and videos from "downloaded_images" under the "storage/.emulationstation" directory and not the default "images" folder in the roms folder
EDIT: this seems to be scraper issue on my part... i have to regenrate my gamelists and they will be picked up

i also get no sound on videos when first going into a system view, once i have launched a game and return back to es the sound will play BUT then emulationstation will be laggy as mentioned before, running at around 22fps

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:09 am

This sounds to me like the add-on was not properly installed. I tested the add-on again and I didn't had to create any extra folders. In fact those folders are not even required by my add-on at all, are you sure you are using the right add-on???

EDIT: do you by any change have the gamestarter addon installed?

Ize

Unread post by Ize » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:37 am

I don't know what gamestarter is to be honest.
I'll just wipe my sd-card and start with the latest CoreELEC nightly and your addon to see if it will work without any installed plugins... maybe it didn't like one of my other addons :O

Ize

Unread post by Ize » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:11 am

OK i've now done a complete reinstall, CoreELEC nightly from yesterday and your addon.

It installed flawlessly this time but the issue with game videos remains, their sound will only play if you have launched a game atleast once.

Also the fps issue still persists, 60 fps on first start, 22-23 fps'ish once you return from a game.

i've even made a (bad) video for you to show what i mean:

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:45 am

The sound is something weird, it should work. I will check that, once you run a game once, all video sound work?

The FPS issue is something that is known, it has something to do with the FB drivers, but I do not know enough about that to fix it. There is a workaround which I don't really like and it involves restarting ES completely every time a game is exited.

Ize

Unread post by Ize » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:24 am

Yeah, once I ran a game all videos work fine with sound.

Ize

Unread post by Ize » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:15 am

OK update time: i've added more systems (only had a few snes roms scraped so far), mounted my NAS roms folder with autostart.sh in /.config/ and setup the cache and save directories in retroarch.cfg.
now (most) of my roms work AND video work with sound from the beginning :D
i couldn't get arcade games to work but those are not that important for me

so the only issue that remains (for me) is the laggy emulationstation after returning from games :)

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:34 am

I was just going to say I could not reproduce the no sound thing, it works perfectly fine for me and even tried it from the scratch.

The ES being laggy as I mentioned before is something related to the FB, it happens on all programs that use the FB, the only way to fix it is by restarting the program.

In the meantime it is not really a big deal, the low FPS is only on ES, and does not affect the emulators, if you set the transition style in UI settings to instant it is barely noticeable.

UrQuan3

Unread post by UrQuan3 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:13 am

From EmuELEC 2.5 to 2.6, did the /flash/boot.ini and /flash/config.ini files get completely reworked? Maybe upstream? Among other changes, it seems to be hardwired to 1080p60Hz and HDMI_mode only. /flash/config.ini is missing all of the video settings.

I have tried adding in the commands I think I need, but it's not working yet. Next try will be copying the boot.ini and config.ini files from 2.5

UrQuan3

Unread post by UrQuan3 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:47 am

Nope, was worth trying. If the 2.6 ini files are replaced by the 2.5 ini files, the system is able to start the desired video resolution and mode, and the blue LED heartbeat is started, but something else breaks before any boot text is displayed on the screen. No real surprise there. Will reflash at some point ans see if I can prod 2.6 into the video mode I need.

MastaG

Unread post by MastaG » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:55 am

So does the latest 2.7 release have the standalone version of ppsspp fixed?
Also does it include a recent build of flycast? (https://github.com/libretro/flycast) and retroarch?

lightsout

Unread post by lightsout » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:59 am

Did I miss the link to the add on, can't seem to find it.

IgaBiva
languages_spoken: english, deutsch, srpski

Unread post by IgaBiva » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Add on is here https://github.com/shantigilbert/EmuELE ... addon_v2.5

My suggestion is that you join Discord, there is a lot of activity there related to EmuElec.

IgaBiva
languages_spoken: english, deutsch, srpski

Unread post by IgaBiva » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:50 pm

MastaG wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:55 am
So does the latest 2.7 release have the standalone version of ppsspp fixed?
Also does it include a recent build of flycast? (https://github.com/libretro/flycast) and retroarch?
Standalone PPSSPP works fine in 2.7.

2.7 comes with flycast and latest version of Retroarch. Also, it comes with fully working Amiberry! However, be aware that 2.7. is still in test.

lightsout

Unread post by lightsout » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 am

I am having trouble configuring a game pad. I am using a PS3 dual shock, it recognizes the controller I am using, but when I go to map the buttons it doesn't let me select most of the buttons.
For instance I can't use the d-pad for the d-pad buttons, only the triggers will work. But the controller works just fine in Kodi.

Return to “Projects”