Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post Reply
User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

I received three N2+ a couple weeks ago. All N2+ are 4GB versions.

I have tried a few approaches to trying to load Petitboot to the first N2+ with no success.

I have not tried to use the other two N2+s as yet.

N2+ version is EL2202 and using an AllPower 15VDC 4A power supply

As the latest N2 Petitboot version of Petitboot (dev.20220317) only had upgrade image I started with recovery version Petitboot (dev.20211112).

dd was used to write the uncompressed recovery version Petitboot (dev.20211112) to SD card. Booted from SD card with switch set to SPI as per instructions. Allowed 10 minutes to pass assuming enough time for SPI Chip to be flashed.
No Petiboot screen displayed after power off N2+ and then powered N2+ on. Repeated boot with SD card twice more with same results.

I have read and re-read and done all sorts of searching on internet past week. So far I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:46 am
dd was used to write the uncompressed recovery version Petitboot (dev.20211112) to SD card. Booted from SD card with switch set to SPI as per instructions. Allowed 10 minutes to pass assuming enough time for SPI Chip to be flashed.
No Petiboot screen displayed after power off N2+ and then powered N2+ on. Repeated boot with SD card twice more with same results.
Are you able to see Petitboot screen or progressing status when you run the recovery image from SD card? What's the status of the blue LED when you were waiting for 10 mins?
I am also wondering why you are trying to update Petitboot by yourself. Isn't the Petitboot already working when you powered at first?

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:55 am
Are you able to see Petitboot screen or progressing status when you run the recovery image from SD card? What's the status of the blue LED when you were waiting for 10 mins?
I am also wondering why you are trying to update Petitboot by yourself. Isn't the Petitboot already working when you powered at first?
Board did not appear to arrive out of box with Petiboot via HDMI display. This is why I thought I had to load Petitboot myself.

I did not see any screen on the HDMI display output from power on to power off with Petitboot SD image nor any Petitboot screen after power cycle. As I did not see any output of progress to load SPI with Petitboot image on HDMI screen I allowed 10+ minutes prior to power cycle.

As far as I recall the blue LED just blinked like familiar heartbeat frequency of blue LED.
Last edited by CoreMemory on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:21 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:55 am
Are you able to see Petitboot screen or progressing status when you run the recovery image from SD card? What's the status of the blue LED when you were waiting for 10 mins?
I am also wondering why you are trying to update Petitboot by yourself. Isn't the Petitboot already working when you powered at first?
Board did not appear to arrive out of box with Petiboot via HDMI display. This is why I thought I had to load Petitboot myself.

I did not see any screen on the HDMI display output from power on to power off with Petitboot SD image nor any Petitboot screen after power cycle. As I did see any output of progress to load SPI with Petitboot image on HDMI screen I allowed 10+ minutes prior to power cycle.

As far as I recall the blue LED just blinked like familiar heartbeat frequency of blue LED.
ODROID-N2Plus delivers with the latest Petitboot flash by default. If you see the blue LED blinks when you power up the ODROID-N2Plus without eMMC or SD card attached but no display, then I believe it's not an issue of missing Petitboot since Petitboot blinks the LED. This would be a display issue. What's the vendor or model of your display device?

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:44 am
ODROID-N2Plus delivers with the latest Petitboot flash by default. If you see the blue LED blinks when you power up the ODROID-N2Plus without eMMC or SD card attached but no display, then I believe it's not an issue of missing Petitboot since Petitboot blinks the LED. This would be a display issue. What's the vendor or model of your display device?
As happens the N2+ has been powered on for few hours with no SD card nor eMMC. Switch is in the SD/eMMc position. No blue flashing LED. Only red power LED.

Reason for no SD or eMMC is doing a test of UPS hat vs USB Wireless adapter that caused some UPS Hat challenges with Raspberry Pi 1B+ to see if was another odd Pi hardware issue or a UPS Hat issue. Note the UPS vs USB Wireless adapter test is not part or related to this issue and needs no assistance nor fork to OP by me.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:03 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:44 am
ODROID-N2Plus delivers with the latest Petitboot flash by default. If you see the blue LED blinks when you power up the ODROID-N2Plus without eMMC or SD card attached but no display, then I believe it's not an issue of missing Petitboot since Petitboot blinks the LED. This would be a display issue. What's the vendor or model of your display device?
As happens the N2+ has been powered on for few hours with no SD card nor eMMC. Switch is in the SD/eMMc position. No blue flashing LED. Only red power LED.
You must place the boot select switch to SPI in order to bring up Petitboot and for testing if it works or not. Please confirm me if the blue LED blinks or not.
Reason for no SD or eMMC is doing a test of UPS hat vs USB Wireless adapter that caused some UPS Hat challenges with Raspberry Pi 1B+ to see if was another odd Pi hardware issue or a UPS Hat issue. Note the UPS vs USB Wireless adapter test is not part or related to this issue and needs no assistance nor fork to OP by me.
Well...I do not get what you mean by UPS and USB wireless...that's off-topic to recover Petitboot.

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:44 am
ODROID-N2Plus delivers with the latest Petitboot flash by default. If you see the blue LED blinks when you power up the ODROID-N2Plus without eMMC or SD card attached but no display, then I believe it's not an issue of missing Petitboot since Petitboot blinks the LED. This would be a display issue. What's the vendor or model of your display device?
Opps ... forgot to answer.... Display working fine with N2+ and Raspbery Pi 3Bs and Pi 1B+ in CLI mode. Display works fine with Live ISO image with XFCE DE GUI. I only use the Pis and will only use the N2+ in CLI. The 4GB of N2+ RAM is needed for unique manner of data and how data is processed on the SBC for the different types of applications the SBCs are used for by me. I may need to purchase some 8GB M1 (for CLI) if 4GB is not enough RAM. Display is an Acer P206HV to N2 via HDMI cable.
Last edited by CoreMemory on Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:11 am
You must place the boot select switch to SPI in order to bring up Petitboot and for testing if it works or not. Please confirm me if the blue LED blinks or not.

Well...I do not get what you mean by UPS and USB wireless...that's off-topic to recover Petitboot.
Powered off N2+. Switch moved to SPI (as was with test for Petitboot post Recover SD image load attempts and tests to confirm Petitboot loaded). Blue LED on solid for few seconds after power cycle. The blue led blinking for few minutes and continuing to blink as reply. No output on HDMI to Acer P206HV.

The UPS/USB wireless tests as not meant to be OT, just why had powered on with no SD/eMMC for power test doing for very different reasons and clearly not related to Petitboot other that why N2+ was on last few hours.
Last edited by CoreMemory on Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:27 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:11 am
You must place the boot select switch to SPI in order to bring up Petitboot and for testing if it works or not. Please confirm me if the blue LED blinks or not.

Well...I do not get what you mean by UPS and USB wireless...that's off-topic to recover Petitboot.
Powered off N2+. Switch moved to SPI (as was with test for Petitboot post Recover SD image load attempts and tests to confirm Petitboot loaded). Blue LED on solid for few seconds after power cycle. The blue led blinking for few minutes and continuing to blink as reply. No output on HDMI yo Acer P206HV.

The UPS/USB wireless tests as not meant to be OT, just why had powered on with no SD/eMMC for power test doing for very different reasons and clearly not related to Petiboot other that why N2+ was on last few hours.
Will you test the same hardware setup after copying this to the first partition of SD card as petitboot.cfg?

Code: Select all

hdmimode=480p60hz
vga=480p60hz
voutmode=dvi
disablehpd=true

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:30 am

Will you test the same hardware setup after copying this to the first partition of SD card as petitboot.cfg?

Code: Select all

hdmimode=480p60hz
vga=480p60hz
voutmode=dvi
disablehpd=true
I no longer had SD with recovery version Petitboot (dev.20211112) of Petitboot do I create image again and use the petitboot.cfg you indicated or do I create the petiboot.cfg on an OS bootable SD? Petitboot recover SD means I have switch in SPI position of course. If otherwise please advise.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:42 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:30 am

Will you test the same hardware setup after copying this to the first partition of SD card as petitboot.cfg?

Code: Select all

hdmimode=480p60hz
vga=480p60hz
voutmode=dvi
disablehpd=true
I no longer had SD with recovery version Petitboot (dev.20211112) of Petitboot do I create image again and use the petitboot.cfg you indicated or do I create the petiboot.cfg on an OS bootable SD? Petitboot recover SD means I have switch in SPI position of course. If otherwise please advise.
As I said, I believe Petitboot is already running but you have a display issue. You do not need to have the Petitboot recovery image this time to have petitboot.cfg. If it's normal SD card with a partition as FAT or EXT2/3/4, it's fine.

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:30 am

Will you test the same hardware setup after copying this to the first partition of SD card as petitboot.cfg?

Code: Select all

hdmimode=480p60hz
vga=480p60hz
voutmode=dvi
disablehpd=true
As I said, I believe Petitboot is already running but you have a display issue. You do not need to have the Petitboot recovery image this time to have petitboot.cfg. If it's normal SD card with a partition as FAT or EXT2/3/4, it's fine.
Blue LED was blinking still as of your last reply

Placed the code for petitboot.cfg in root of only parition of a DietPi SD image.

Power on with DietPi SD with petitboot.cfg switch in SPI position. Usual blue LED behaviour. Nothing on display.

Power off. Moved switch to SD/eMMC. Power on with DietPi SD. DietPi boots normally and blue LED usual behaviour. Usual DietPi information on display. Log onto root and then power off.

Moved switch to SPI. Power on with DietPi SD. Nothing on HDMI display. Usual blue LED behaviour. DietPi did not boot.

Never removed petitboot.cfg from DietPi SD.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:21 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:30 am

Will you test the same hardware setup after copying this to the first partition of SD card as petitboot.cfg?

Code: Select all

hdmimode=480p60hz
vga=480p60hz
voutmode=dvi
disablehpd=true
As I said, I believe Petitboot is already running but you have a display issue. You do not need to have the Petitboot recovery image this time to have petitboot.cfg. If it's normal SD card with a partition as FAT or EXT2/3/4, it's fine.
Blue LED was blinking still as of your last reply

Placed the code for petitboot.cfg in root of only parition of a DietPi SD image.

Power on with DietPi SD with petitboot.cfg switch in SPI position. Usual blue LED behaviour. Nothing on display.

Power off. Moved switch to SD/eMMC. Power on with DietPi SD. DietPi boots normally and blue LED usual behaviour. Usual DietPi information on display. Log onto root and then power off.

Moved switch to SPI. Power on with DietPi SD. Nothing on HDMI display. Usual blue LED behaviour. DietPi did not boot.

Never removed petitboot.cfg from DietPi SD.
Strange, what if change the value of voutmode to hdmi instead of dvi?

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:55 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:21 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:30 am

Will you test the same hardware setup after copying this to the first partition of SD card as petitboot.cfg?

Code: Select all

hdmimode=480p60hz
vga=480p60hz
voutmode=dvi
disablehpd=true
As I said, I believe Petitboot is already running but you have a display issue. You do not need to have the Petitboot recovery image this time to have petitboot.cfg. If it's normal SD card with a partition as FAT or EXT2/3/4, it's fine.
Blue LED was blinking still as of your last reply

Placed the code for petitboot.cfg in root of only parition of a DietPi SD image.

Power on with DietPi SD with petitboot.cfg switch in SPI position. Usual blue LED behaviour. Nothing on display.

Power off. Moved switch to SD/eMMC. Power on with DietPi SD. DietPi boots normally and blue LED usual behaviour. Usual DietPi information on display. Log onto root and then power off.

Moved switch to SPI. Power on with DietPi SD. Nothing on HDMI display. Usual blue LED behaviour. DietPi did not boot.

Never removed petitboot.cfg from DietPi SD.
Strange, what if change the value of voutmode to hdmi instead of dvi?
Exact same order of Power on/off and switch position tests with exactly same results using hdmi instead of dvi.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:19 pm
Exact same order of Power on/off and switch position tests with exactly same results using hdmi instead of dvi.
Can you please test with ordinary 1080P HDMI?

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:21 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:19 pm
Exact same order of Power on/off and switch position tests with exactly same results using hdmi instead of dvi.
Can you please test with ordinary 1080P HDMI?
Does that mean change

Code: Select all

hdmimode=480p60hz
to

Code: Select all

hdmimode=1080p
in petitboot.cfg?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:45 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:21 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:19 pm
Exact same order of Power on/off and switch position tests with exactly same results using hdmi instead of dvi.
Can you please test with ordinary 1080P HDMI?
Does that mean change

Code: Select all

hdmimode=480p60hz
to

Code: Select all

hdmimode=1080p
in petitboot.cfg?
Nope, connecting to a TV that support 1080P.

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:48 pm
Nope, connecting to a TV that support 1080P.
If I read the specs for the Acer P206HV correctly it does not support 1080P, but supports many video modes. I would hope for something like Petitboot it would support any of the text video modes that Linux can use. This would include display of text boot messages, text based OS installing, the text based BIOS configuration of x86 systems, text console for Unix logon, et al that have never presented me issues in using the Acer P206HV.

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:05 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:48 pm
Nope, connecting to a TV that support 1080P.
If I read the specs for the Acer P206HV correctly it does not support 1080P, but supports many video modes. I would hope for something like Petitboot it would support any of the text video modes that Linux can use. This would include display of text boot messages, text based OS installing, the text based BIOS configuration of x86 systems, text console for Unix logon, et al that have never presented me issues in using the Acer P206HV.
Attached is screen shot for the Acer P206HV Standard Timing Table.
p206hv-StandardTimingTable-Screenshot.png
p206hv-StandardTimingTable-Screenshot.png (81.82 KiB) Viewed 295 times

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

Why don't you try with 1080P TV for sure and check it version first?

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:06 pm
Why don't you try with 1080P TV first for sure?
I do not have such a monitor. I should not need such a monitor. The Acer P206HV handles BIOS text mode, all Linux text modes, and all graphics modes I need. Petitboot is based on Linux, therefore should handle same modes as does in text and graphics mode as any Linux mode just like does with any OS use with N2+ in CLI does without any issues or challenges.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:23 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:06 pm
Why don't you try with 1080P TV first for sure?
I do not have such a monitor. I should not need such a monitor. The Acer P206HV handles BIOS text mode, all Linux text modes, and all graphics modes I need. Petitboot is based on Linux, therefore should handle same modes as does in text and graphics mode as any Linux mode just like does with any OS use with N2+ in CLI does without any issues or challenges.
Then try the value 640x480p60hz to hdmimode= and vga= in petitboot.cfg.

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:34 pm
Then try the value 640x480p60hz to hdmimode= and vga= in petitboot.cfg.
Same three tests as done prior two times in same order as prior two times. Same results.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:51 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:34 pm
Then try the value 640x480p60hz to hdmimode= and vga= in petitboot.cfg.
Same three tests as done prior two times in same order as prior two times. Same results.
Please copy the content of current petitboot.cfg here.

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:04 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:51 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:34 pm
Then try the value 640x480p60hz to hdmimode= and vga= in petitboot.cfg.
Same three tests as done prior two times in same order as prior two times. Same results.
Please copy the content of current petitboot.cfg here.

Code: Select all

hdmimode=640x480p60hz
vga=
voutmode=hdmi
disablehpd=true

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:04 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:51 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:34 pm
Then try the value 640x480p60hz to hdmimode= and vga= in petitboot.cfg.
Same three tests as done prior two times in same order as prior two times. Same results.
Please copy the content of current petitboot.cfg here.

Code: Select all

hdmimode=640x480p60hz
vga=
voutmode=hdmi
disablehpd=true
Why don't you add 640x480p60hz to the line vga and replace hdmi to dvi?

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:10 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Code: Select all

hdmimode=640x480p60hz
vga=
voutmode=hdmi
disablehpd=true
Why don't you add 640x480p60hz to the line vga and replace hdmi to dvi?
Same four tests as done in same order as prior tests. Same results.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:19 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:10 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Code: Select all

hdmimode=640x480p60hz
vga=
voutmode=hdmi
disablehpd=true
Why don't you add 640x480p60hz to the line vga and replace hdmi to dvi?
Same four tests as done in same order as prior tests. Same results.
Please try another HDMI TV (hopefully 1080P support) and check if the screen comes and the version of Petitboot running in your N2.

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:23 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:19 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:10 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Code: Select all

hdmimode=640x480p60hz
vga=
voutmode=hdmi
disablehpd=true
Why don't you add 640x480p60hz to the line vga and replace hdmi to dvi?
Same four tests as done in same order as prior tests. Same results.
Please try another HDMI TV (hopefully 1080P support) and check if the screen comes and the version of Petitboot running in your N2.
I do not have another monitor. As stated Linux boots with all the usual text messages to this same Acer P206HV all way to Linux CLI sign on and MOTD message. The Acer P206HV done so flawless since I have had the Acer P206HV monitor. I can sign in via CLI on same Acer P206HV in text mode and do anything including nano edits to same Acer P206HV. Petitboot is Linux text based, therefore because I have no issues with using various Linux text video modes and usual text mode BIOS configuration of x86 systems via same Acer P206HV there is no need for a 1080p monitor and no need to test 1080p. One does not need full HD/1080P for text based applications.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:38 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:23 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:19 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:10 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Code: Select all

hdmimode=640x480p60hz
vga=
voutmode=hdmi
disablehpd=true
Why don't you add 640x480p60hz to the line vga and replace hdmi to dvi?
Same four tests as done in same order as prior tests. Same results.
Please try another HDMI TV (hopefully 1080P support) and check if the screen comes and the version of Petitboot running in your N2.
I do not have another monitor. As stated Linux boots with all the usual text messages to this same Acer P206HV all way to Linux CLI sign on and MOTD message. The Acer P206HV done so flawless since I have had the Acer P206HV monitor. I can sign in via CLI on same Acer P206HV in text mode and do anything including nano edits to same Acer P206HV. Petitboot is Linux text based, therefore because I have no issues with using various Linux text video modes and usual text mode BIOS configuration of x86 systems via same Acer P206HV there is no need for a 1080p monitor and no need to test 1080p. One does not need full HD/1080P for text based applications.
I don't blame your monitor Acer P206HV neither not pushing you to use 1080P display to use your ODROID-N2Plus. Now I am trying to figure out if it's hardware issue or not and what's the display issue.

Here are the lower resolutions than your monitor that can be supported by ODROID-N2Plus, you can try to use them to the lines hdmimode= and vga= in petitboot.cfg. Try one by one and check if it works or not. Good luck.

Code: Select all

1024x600p60hz
1024x768p60hz
1280x1024p60hz
1280x720p50hz
1280x720p60hz
1280x768p60hz
1280x800p60hz
1280x960p60hz
1360x768p60hz
1366x768p60hz
1400x1050p60hz
1440x2560p60hz
1440x900p60hz
1600x1200p60hz
1600x900p60hz
1680x1050p60hz
640x480p60hz
800x600p60hz

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:55 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:38 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:23 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:19 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:10 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Code: Select all

hdmimode=640x480p60hz
vga=
voutmode=hdmi
disablehpd=true
Why don't you add 640x480p60hz to the line vga and replace hdmi to dvi?
Same four tests as done in same order as prior tests. Same results.
Please try another HDMI TV (hopefully 1080P support) and check if the screen comes and the version of Petitboot running in your N2.
I do not have another monitor. As stated Linux boots with all the usual text messages to this same Acer P206HV all way to Linux CLI sign on and MOTD message. The Acer P206HV done so flawless since I have had the Acer P206HV monitor. I can sign in via CLI on same Acer P206HV in text mode and do anything including nano edits to same Acer P206HV. Petitboot is Linux text based, therefore because I have no issues with using various Linux text video modes and usual text mode BIOS configuration of x86 systems via same Acer P206HV there is no need for a 1080p monitor and no need to test 1080p. One does not need full HD/1080P for text based applications.
I don't blame your monitor Acer P206HV neither not pushing you to use 1080P display to use your ODROID-N2Plus. Now I am trying to figure out if it's hardware issue or not and what's the display issue.

Here are the lower resolutions than your monitor that can be supported by ODROID-N2Plus, you can try to use them to the lines hdmimode= and vga= in petitboot.cfg. Try one by one and check if it works or not. Good luck.

Code: Select all

1024x600p60hz
1024x768p60hz
1280x1024p60hz
1280x720p50hz
1280x720p60hz
1280x768p60hz
1280x800p60hz
1280x960p60hz
1360x768p60hz
1366x768p60hz
1400x1050p60hz
1440x2560p60hz
1440x900p60hz
1600x1200p60hz
1600x900p60hz
1680x1050p60hz
640x480p60hz
800x600p60hz
How is it known if the petitboot.cfg files tested so far were even read and therefore used? Can one have comment lines in the petitboot.cfg such as line starting with "#''?

I have to go to sleep. Once I am awake I have number of hours of non-computer things I have to do I did not do as wanted the Petitboot to work.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

@CoreMemory, I've read your earlier post again and I wonder if you are going to run Armbian or DietPi? If so I dout they are able to boot with Petitboot, last time a couple of months ago, their OS didn't boot up with Petitboot since their boot script is not supported. Their OS would be able to boot from eMMC or SD card only and if you are planning to run single OS, Petitboot is not necessary.

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:13 pm
@CoreMemory, I've read your earlier post again and I wonder if you are going to run Armbian or DietPi? If so I dout they are able to boot with Petitboot, last time a couple of months ago, their OS didn't boot up with Petitboot since their boot script is not supported. Their OS would be able to boot from eMMC or SD card only and if you are planning to run single OS, Petitboot is not necessary.
For the purpose of confirming Petitboot works if I created an Arch Linux SD would that work to confirm if Petitboot on N2+ is working.

I have various issues opened against DietPi which uses Armbian as base. Last use of Arch Linux based image had some really basic networking issues that where a mess to deal with finding solution as no longer use usual /etc/networks configuration. New method Arch Linux is using for network configuration has so many temperamental aspects to configuration it is crap shoot to find out how to have working network configuration. That said if at least testing if Petitboot will show with Arch Linux image then I can try so can confirm that DietPi and Armbian will not work with Petitboot.

I was delayed in hitting hay as just discovered one of the ESP8266s used for wireless temperature of the SBC that collect weather data had another familiar wireless handshake miss-step that needed it to be restarted and monitored to see if restart sync with SBC code that polls the data.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 10320
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 1764 times
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by tobetter »

CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:27 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:13 pm
@CoreMemory, I've read your earlier post again and I wonder if you are going to run Armbian or DietPi? If so I dout they are able to boot with Petitboot, last time a couple of months ago, their OS didn't boot up with Petitboot since their boot script is not supported. Their OS would be able to boot from eMMC or SD card only and if you are planning to run single OS, Petitboot is not necessary.
For the purpose of confirming Petitboot works if I created an Arch Linux SD would that work to confirm if Petitboot on N2+ is working.

I have various issues opened against DietPi which uses Armbian as base. Last use of Arch Linux based image had some really basic networking issues that where a mess to deal with finding solution as no longer use usual /etc/networks configuration. New method Arch Linux is using has so many temperamental aspects to configuration is is crap shoot to find out how to have working network configuration. That said if at least testing if Petitboot will show with Arch Linux image then I can try so can confirm that DietPi and Armbian will not work with Petitboot.
I am 100% sure Armbian won't boot from Petitboot in ODROID-N2Plus, so you can flash Hardkernel's stock Ubuntu image to see if Petitboot can boot Ubunt up. That could convince you that Petitboot works even thought there is no display out. Then Arch Linux can be tested or not.
But you had Linux network issue so trying to test with ArchLinux based image...I don't know what makes you to use Petitboot to boot up Arch Linux for this case...

User avatar
CoreMemory
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Three N2+ 4Gb
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Challenges Loading Petitboot Install Via SD Card to N2+

Post by CoreMemory »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:55 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:38 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:23 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:19 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:10 pm
CoreMemory wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Code: Select all

hdmimode=640x480p60hz
vga=
voutmode=hdmi
disablehpd=true
Why don't you add 640x480p60hz to the line vga and replace hdmi to dvi?
Same four tests as done in same order as prior tests. Same results.
Please try another HDMI TV (hopefully 1080P support) and check if the screen comes and the version of Petitboot running in your N2.
I do not have another monitor. As stated Linux boots with all the usual text messages to this same Acer P206HV all way to Linux CLI sign on and MOTD message. The Acer P206HV done so flawless since I have had the Acer P206HV monitor. I can sign in via CLI on same Acer P206HV in text mode and do anything including nano edits to same Acer P206HV. Petitboot is Linux text based, therefore because I have no issues with using various Linux text video modes and usual text mode BIOS configuration of x86 systems via same Acer P206HV there is no need for a 1080p monitor and no need to test 1080p. One does not need full HD/1080P for text based applications.
I don't blame your monitor Acer P206HV neither not pushing you to use 1080P display to use your ODROID-N2Plus. Now I am trying to figure out if it's hardware issue or not and what's the display issue.

Here are the lower resolutions than your monitor that can be supported by ODROID-N2Plus, you can try to use them to the lines hdmimode= and vga= in petitboot.cfg. Try one by one and check if it works or not. Good luck.

Code: Select all

1024x600p60hz
1024x768p60hz
1280x1024p60hz
1280x720p50hz
1280x720p60hz
1280x768p60hz
1280x800p60hz
1280x960p60hz
1360x768p60hz
1366x768p60hz
1400x1050p60hz
1440x2560p60hz
1440x900p60hz
1600x1200p60hz
1600x900p60hz
1680x1050p60hz
640x480p60hz
800x600p60hz

I am not going to do the many tests requested. The reasons are:

1. x86 systems BIOS setup in x86 firmware has no issue working on monitors older than 10 years.

2. Petitboot is Linux based.

3. Linux has no issues with CLI video modes on far less capable and older monitors than the Acer P206HV.

4. Text mode does not require 1080P (aka Full HD) as Linux could handle text mode well over 20 years ago long before any notion of HD, let alone Full HD.

5. ssh does not require 1080P monitor to be used with Linux, et al system for CLI access.

6. A few video modes and other petitboot.cfg elements have been tried as requested with no change nor adding to what is cause of the issue.

7. There is no real confidence that a 1080P (Full HD) monitor would resolve issue.

8. There is no indication that the petitboot.cfg is being read and saved to be used going forward by Petitboot.

9. Hardkernel should be able to test all the video modes requested of me and be able to determine the cause of issue(s) and how to resolve the issue(s).

10. There is no indication when loading Petitboot recovery image and running Petitboot recovery image is in fact loaded and if loaded with no issues.

In my considered opinion from my vast IT software, firmware, embedded systems, microcode, et al experience of many years it appears the issue cannot be resolved, has no means of diagnosing issue, or will not be resolved.

I will not spend any more time doing testing for issue that seems "weird" to Hardkernel, takes alot of my time to do testing that is basic Linux, et al functionality that has worked for well over 20 years, for prior Petitboot issues of similar nature, and/or suggested that text mode needs 1080P (Full HD) for software Petitboot is based on (Linux, et al) that Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD has been and still capable of text mode on monitors for at least past 20 years.

It is my considered opinion that the issue is Petitboot software and not a (hardware) monitor (such as the Acer P206HV) nor Odroid N2+ hardware issue.

Post Reply

Return to “Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests