[CoreELEC] Fresh install, no video playback

coendeurloo
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2+
Been thanked: 0

[CoreELEC] Fresh install, no video playback

Post by coendeurloo »

Hi, I just got the ODROID N2+ with the latest Coreelec on an eMMC card.

I've attached an external SSD with some movies on it. A movie with stereo sound plays fine, video + audio, however those with multichannel audio will not. No video, no sound.

I've attached my ODROID to one of my TV's (Sony KD-55XF9005) HDMI inputs, and the audio should go from my TV's single eARC HDMI output to my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR414).

Logs: http://ix.io/2LXc

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: [CoreELEC] Fresh install, no video playback

Post by odroid »

Was the movie clip with stereo sound playing fine with the external receiver?

Anyway, I hope CoreELEC developers will find a clue in your log file.

rooted

Post by rooted »

See this thread, may have some pointers

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/solved ... th-n2/5929

coendeurloo

Post by coendeurloo »

As a test ,I attached the ODROID to the BD/DVD in on my receiver. And now I have image and sound, except it is limited to 1080p/1080i.

My receiver should handle 4K fine, and did before.

Raybuntu
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Post by Raybuntu »

It clearly depends what format the audio has. For instance if it's multi pcm (e.g 7.1 AAC sound) both your TV and your AVR need to support eARC if you connect the N2+ to the TV. You also need to enable CEC for it to work. Also in mediacenter audio settings you need to use the lpcm HDMI source. Also there are a few passthrough settings that need to be set and the number of audio channels you have.

A word for eARC. Even though it looks like its supported in kernel none of us really have a pure eARC setup to test it. First time really I hear someone trying it. So this is quite exciting if we can manage to make it work.

coendeurloo

Post by coendeurloo »

It has worked before on my Vero 4k+, and indeed, there I should set the allow passthrough to 'on' and then only select ac3, and set the number of channels to 2.0 even though I have a 5.1 system. Surround sound worked fine after that. The only difference there is, I was sending the audio via optical from my vero to the receiver, which the ODROID N2+ does not have, so it should all be sent through the HDMI.

What helped me enormous back then was this wiki entry on how to configure various possibilities, maybe it's time to create something like this for the ODROID as well? https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/audio-hardw ... tion/82441

I have tried various passthrough settings in different variations...but it feels like shooting in the dark, I have no idea what I'm actually doing and I'm not sure how to continue.

Maybe it's time to upgrade the receiver?

coendeurloo

Post by coendeurloo »

Well this is weird, I have tried connecting the ODROID directly to the TV again. And it will play 1080p files ONLY when I set the interface to 1080p... when I set the interface to 4K it won't play anything anymore. When I connect the ODROID to my receiver and make use of the eARC HDMI to my TV, it plays everything fine, but capped at 1080p. So 4k movies will play, but they are actually 1080p.

I've set the nr. of channels to 2.0 and the allow passthrough on or off (with ac3 etc all set to off), not sure which but it didn't make a difference.

Return to “Issues”