N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post Reply
CptDayDreamer
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post by CptDayDreamer »

I have a very strange behavior and thought it was about my eMMC Ubuntu installation but even with a new eMMC and another version of Ubuntu (20.04) this phenomena appears. As soon as I or the system automatically do sudo reboot or sudo shutdown -r 0 I can see that the device is shutdown. Then the red light appears again and the blue light a bit after the red light. But it is not flickering. It's continous blue and after like 5 seconds the blue light disappears and the device again shutdowns and is captured in this cycle and not able to boot again.

I need to disconnect the N2 from the power supply then. When I connect it again it works fine and boots. What is happening? How can I fix this???

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6130
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 795 times
Contact:

Re: N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post by tobetter »

What's the version of the kernel and OS image?
Do you have USB-to-serial debugging board to capture the serial log?

CptDayDreamer
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post by CptDayDreamer »

@tobetter
Kernel version: 4.9.236-97
OS image: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

I also had it with another eMMC and Ubuntu 18.04. I don't know which kernel version it was.

And no I don't have this board. Never even heard about it before.

I read in another thread here in the forum something about PetitBoot. Could it have something to do with it? Is this update done with OS updates? Or do I need to do something special if this could help. It appeared a while ago.

CptDayDreamer
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post by CptDayDreamer »

Any idea?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6130
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 795 times
Contact:

Re: N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post by tobetter »

CptDayDreamer wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:41 am
@tobetter
Kernel version: 4.9.236-97
OS image: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

I also had it with another eMMC and Ubuntu 18.04. I don't know which kernel version it was.

And no I don't have this board. Never even heard about it before.

I read in another thread here in the forum something about PetitBoot. Could it have something to do with it? Is this update done with OS updates? Or do I need to do something special if this could help. It appeared a while ago.
Sorry for the delay.

What's vendor or type of your DC adapter?
Can you film your board, specifically the LEDs, how it works when you reboot the board?

The Petitboot is sort of the boot manager, it's already installed on the board. But you may need to upgrade it with the latest version. Once you install it, you can boot your N2 without SD or eMMC and can try to run reboot command if it behaves the same. Please refer to the link for updating and latest firmware.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... _petitboot
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
CptDayDreamer (Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 am)

CptDayDreamer
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post by CptDayDreamer »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 am

Sorry for the delay.

What's vendor or type of your DC adapter?
Can you film your board, specifically the LEDs, how it works when you reboot the board?

The Petitboot is sort of the boot manager, it's already installed on the board. But you may need to upgrade it with the latest version. Once you install it, you can boot your N2 without SD or eMMC and can try to run reboot command if it behaves the same. Please refer to the link for updating and latest firmware.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... _petitboot
@tobetter I'm also sorry for the delay.

Here is a video of the LED's while rebooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRAx4r ... e=youtu.be

The vendor of the DC adapter is Cullpower or something I can't really read.
You can see details here: https://s12.directupload.net/images/201016/584bivh5.jpg

I directly buyed it from HardKernel from South Korea.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6130
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 795 times
Contact:

Re: N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post by tobetter »

CptDayDreamer wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:39 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 am

Sorry for the delay.

What's vendor or type of your DC adapter?
Can you film your board, specifically the LEDs, how it works when you reboot the board?

The Petitboot is sort of the boot manager, it's already installed on the board. But you may need to upgrade it with the latest version. Once you install it, you can boot your N2 without SD or eMMC and can try to run reboot command if it behaves the same. Please refer to the link for updating and latest firmware.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... _petitboot
@tobetter I'm also sorry for the delay.

Here is a video of the LED's while rebooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRAx4r ... e=youtu.be

The vendor of the DC adapter is Cullpower or something I can't really read.
You can see details here: https://s12.directupload.net/images/201016/584bivh5.jpg

I directly buyed it from HardKernel from South Korea.
Thank you for the video.
I found that you have attached a USB storage to the USB host port close to DC adaptor, can you please change it to another one? Maybe the next to HDMI port?
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
CptDayDreamer (Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 am)

CptDayDreamer
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post by CptDayDreamer »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:38 am
CptDayDreamer wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:39 am
tobetter wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 am

Sorry for the delay.

What's vendor or type of your DC adapter?
Can you film your board, specifically the LEDs, how it works when you reboot the board?

The Petitboot is sort of the boot manager, it's already installed on the board. But you may need to upgrade it with the latest version. Once you install it, you can boot your N2 without SD or eMMC and can try to run reboot command if it behaves the same. Please refer to the link for updating and latest firmware.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... _petitboot
@tobetter I'm also sorry for the delay.

Here is a video of the LED's while rebooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRAx4r ... e=youtu.be

The vendor of the DC adapter is Cullpower or something I can't really read.
You can see details here: https://s12.directupload.net/images/201016/584bivh5.jpg

I directly buyed it from HardKernel from South Korea.
Thank you for the video.
I found that you have attached a USB storage to the USB host port close to DC adaptor, can you please change it to another one? Maybe the next to HDMI port?
I'm currently not at home but I will try it as soon as I can. Why should this be a difference? I cleaned it a while ago. It's really possible that I changed the port but then only one port higher. Like I said a RAID enclosure is attached to the N2 with the USB port. But I will try it.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6130
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 795 times
Contact:

Re: N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post by tobetter »

CptDayDreamer wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:45 am
I'm currently not at home but I will try it as soon as I can. Why should this be a difference? I cleaned it a while ago. It's really possible that I changed the port but then only one port higher. Like I said a RAID enclosure is attached to the N2 with the USB port. But I will try it.
Frankly, I do not know the root cause but a couple of user had been fixed after changing the port which is connected to USB storage. And a user of them had the same experience and it's resolved after updating Petitiboot which is not published yet. Sorry, I cannot find the link as of now, it would be appreciate if you try and share if it boots. I am preparing the new Petitboot anyway. :)
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
CptDayDreamer (Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 am)

CptDayDreamer
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: N2 won't restart without disconnecting from power supply

Post by CptDayDreamer »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:51 pm
CptDayDreamer wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:45 am
I'm currently not at home but I will try it as soon as I can. Why should this be a difference? I cleaned it a while ago. It's really possible that I changed the port but then only one port higher. Like I said a RAID enclosure is attached to the N2 with the USB port. But I will try it.
Frankly, I do not know the root cause but a couple of user had been fixed after changing the port which is connected to USB storage. And a user of them had the same experience and it's resolved after updating Petitiboot which is not published yet. Sorry, I cannot find the link as of now, it would be appreciate if you try and share if it boots. I am preparing the new Petitboot anyway. :)
No way. It's also the fix for me. I attached the RAID with my USB cable next to the HDMI port and now everythings works fine if I use sudo reboot. So I won't do anything to Petitboot. I don't even know on which version I am but it doesn't matter if it works now. Thank you very much! Still strange behavior but I can live with that :D
These users thanked the author CptDayDreamer for the post:
tobetter (Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:14 am)

Post Reply

Return to “Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests