SD card slot doesn't work

sjwlaoda
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: n2
Has thanked: 0

SD card slot doesn't work

Unread post by sjwlaoda » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi
I bought 3 odroidn2 boards recently, two of them work correctly, but one board cannot boot from SD card.
I booted the from the SPI flash memory, and it cannot find the /dev/mmcblk*, while other two boards are OK.
Have you ever seen this issue? and is it possible to boot from USB? (currently I don't have emmc card)

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: SD card slot doesn't work

Unread post by tobetter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 pm

sjwlaoda wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 pm
Hi
I bought 3 odroidn2 boards recently, two of them work correctly, but one board cannot boot from SD card.
I booted the from the SPI flash memory, and it cannot find the /dev/mmcblk*, while other two boards are OK.
Have you ever seen this issue? and is it possible to boot from USB? (currently I don't have emmc card)
This is the new issue for ODROID-N2 if it does not show any /dev/mmcblk1*. I think you have tested the same SD card with the other two boards, it would be SD card slot or circuit is damaged. But why I am not able to commit that it's hardware problem is we use SD card in order to flash SPI memory on the production. So if the board can boot from SPI, SD had worked with the board and another testing procedure has been passed. Can you try another SD card?

sjwlaoda

Unread post by sjwlaoda » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:37 pm

tobetter wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 pm
sjwlaoda wrote:
Hi
This is the new issue for ODROID-N2 if it does not show any /dev/mmcblk1*. I think you have tested the same SD card with the other two boards, it would be SD card slot or circuit is damaged. But why I am not able to commit that it's hardware problem is we use SD card in order to flash SPI memory on the production. So if the board can boot from SPI, SD had worked with the board and another testing procedure has been passed. Can you try another SD card?
I have tried 3 SD cards, the result is the same.
but you are right, the SD slot can take affect, with the SD card in the slot, I can get the blue LED flashing, and the keyboard can work, but ethernet port doesn't work, and the display keeps gray.
I don't have serial cable, so I don't know what the problem is.
Do you have any experience on this? (The board can at least find the kernel image, but cannot find the file system?)

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 pm

sjwlaoda wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:37 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 pm
sjwlaoda wrote:
Hi
I have tried 3 SD cards, the result is the same.
but you are right, the SD slot can take affect, with the SD card in the slot, I can get the blue LED flashing, and the keyboard can work, but ethernet port doesn't work, and the display keeps gray.
I don't have serial cable, so I don't know what the problem is.
Do you have any experience on this? (The board can at least find the kernel image, but cannot find the file system?)
If the board doesn't reboot all the time when the blue LED is flashing, then it founds the root file system. But didn't you say that the board cannot boot from SD card? Now it boots? There were ethernet problems on certain board, but it's kinda fixed after replacing U-boot. Which OS image do you flash on the ethernet faulty board?

sjwlaoda

Unread post by sjwlaoda » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 pm

what I meant cannot boot was because I was unable to make it boot into console. it's great if it can still work.
I am using ubuntu-18.04.2-4.9-minimal-odroid-n2-20190329.img.xz from the wiki page, so the uboot is expected to have problems in this image? where can I find the new one?

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 pm

sjwlaoda wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 pm
what I meant cannot boot was because I was unable to make it boot into console. it's great if it can still work.
I am using ubuntu-18.04.2-4.9-minimal-odroid-n2-20190329.img.xz from the wiki page, so the uboot is expected to have problems in this image? where can I find the new one?
U-boot will be uploaded whenever the repository is updated.
https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot/releases

sjwlaoda

Unread post by sjwlaoda » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:28 pm

thanks, I will try it tomorrow

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:46 pm

sjwlaoda wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:28 pm
Sure, please let me have the MAC address of the board and share how it goes after reflash the U-boot.

sjwlaoda

Unread post by sjwlaoda » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:53 pm

tobetter wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:46 pm
sjwlaoda wrote:
Sure, please let me have the MAC address of the board and share how it goes after reflash the U-boot.
I have tried u-boot-odroidn2-22.tar.gz, u-boot-odroidn2-31.tar.gz and u-boot-odroidn2-37.tar.gz, all of these cannot work, the phenomenon is the same.
Is it the MAC address on the label that attached on the board?
forum.odroid.com >
00:1E:06:42:1A:3D

sjwlaoda

Unread post by sjwlaoda » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:48 pm

sjwlaoda wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:53 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:46 pm
sjwlaoda wrote:
I have tried u-boot-odroidn2-22.tar.gz, u-boot-odroidn2-31.tar.gz and u-boot-odroidn2-37.tar.gz, all of these cannot work, the phenomenon is the same.
Is it the MAC address on the label that attached on the board?
forum.odroid.com >
00:1E:06:42:1A:3D
Hi tobetter

I changed boot.ini to output to display, so I find the issue, you can check the following two pictures:
IMG_20190614_154124.jpg
IMG_20190614_154124.jpg (624.85 KiB) Viewed 594 times
IMG_20190614_153832.jpg
IMG_20190614_153832.jpg (903.75 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Do you know why it can find the first partition in sd card (contains kernel image), but cannot find the filesystem partition?

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:38 pm

@sjwlaoda, The reason why it does not boot is present in the second picture, that is "UUID=e139ce870-* does not exist". This is because the kernel failed to look for the root file system that its UUID is set as "e139ce870-*". Don't know why if the image is flash with other SD cards. You can check the UUIDs of file systems in each SD card and find out if the one is different. UUID can be listed with blkid per file system.

Please check if UUID of the faulty SD card is matching with root=UUID=... in the boot.ini. They have to be matched.

sjwlaoda

Unread post by sjwlaoda » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:41 pm

tobetter wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:38 pm
@sjwlaoda, The reason why it does not boot is present in the second picture, that is "UUID=e139ce870-* does not exist". This is because the kernel failed to look for the root file system that its UUID is set as "e139ce870-*". Don't know why if the image is flash with other SD cards. You can check the UUIDs of file systems in each SD card and find out if the one is different. UUID can be listed with blkid per file system.

Please check if UUID of the faulty SD card is matching with root=UUID=... in the boot.ini. They have to be matched.
Hi, I have resolved this issue. the board can recognize my fourth sd card which is a 8GB sd card. While my previous tested 3 sd cards are 16GB.

Update: it is not the size of 8GB/16GB issue, I also have some 8GB sdcards cannot be recognized. is it a known issue?

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread post by phaseshifter » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm

it is an issue if you have used them on other boards prior to using them on the odroid..or as tobetter spoke of the uuid issue...

if they are of poor quality..prolly kinston..they have been known to fault...many times i have seen this....

if they have been used prior and have had a large amount of use..hence read and writes cycles..then there just worn out ..seen better days...etc..etc

P.S i hve some 4 gig kingston sd`s and they will flash but wont allow the second partition to be written.
.this may be your issue also..
.etcher say yes its ok but when you look at the sd on a Linux box the rootfs partition is missing..it never wrote the partition....this drove me crazy for some time until i read them with a Linux box...

P.SSS my kingston cards were brand new straight out of the packaging .....
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

sjwlaoda

Unread post by sjwlaoda » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:07 am

The newest problem to me is not the SD card issue, but I cannot get the board boot. there is no display output, only the power LED is enabled, and I even cannot boot from SPI :oops:

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 am

sjwlaoda wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:07 am
The newest problem to me is not the SD card issue, but I cannot get the board boot. there is no display output, only the power LED is enabled, and I even cannot boot from SPI :oops:
Is the blue LED on or blinking? All boards are the same or only one?

sjwlaoda

Unread post by sjwlaoda » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:40 pm

tobetter wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 am
sjwlaoda wrote:
Other two boards are OK, only the board that has only one SD card workable cannot boot, only the red LED is on, the blue one keeps off. I switched to SPI, it kept the same.
I powered off it via "poweroff", and the next day I unplug and plug in the power pin, it became a brick.
Have you ever seen this issue before?

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:35 am

sjwlaoda wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:40 pm
tobetter wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 am
sjwlaoda wrote:
Other two boards are OK, only the board that has only one SD card workable cannot boot, only the red LED is on, the blue one keeps off. I switched to SPI, it kept the same.
I powered off it via "poweroff", and the next day I unplug and plug in the power pin, it became a brick.
Have you ever seen this issue before?
No...it's brand new problem even I've managed many issues. By any chance do you have USB-to-Serial cable so you can grab some boot logs while power cycle? Since you have two working boards, I believe you must be compared with the one with the other two boards with the same memory cards. If you have a DMM, can you measure the voltage at GPIO #1 and #3?

sjwlaoda

Unread post by sjwlaoda » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:52 pm

I don't have the USB2Serial cable, so I cannot check uboot output.
I have tried many SD cards, but no help.
I also tried the power cable on other n2 boards, no help.
I tried to boot from SPI, no help.
Only the red LED is on for all cases, so I think some part of the circuit is broken. But I don't have DMM currently

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:04 pm

sjwlaoda wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:52 pm
I don't have the USB2Serial cable, so I cannot check uboot output.
I have tried many SD cards, but no help.
I also tried the power cable on other n2 boards, no help.
I tried to boot from SPI, no help.
Only the red LED is on for all cases, so I think some part of the circuit is broken. But I don't have DMM currently
I see...since one out three boards have a problem and you must be swap the memory card which works with another one and the blue LED never on, I think the board has defects. Please contact to odroid at hardkernel dot com with the link of this thread and proof of your purchase if you have purchased from Hardkernel, otherwise please do contact your local distributor.

Sorry about you have defect board and thank you.

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”