GPIO keypad on tobetter's Ubuntu 21.10

micle
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GPIO keypad on tobetter's Ubuntu 21.10

Post by micle »

I'm trying to get GPIO-connected pushbuttons to generate keyboard input on my N2+ running tobetter's Ubuntu, but I'm having trouble.

My setup is:
tobetter's Ubuntu 21.04 server image
-> Upgraded to 21.10 using 'do-release-upgrade'
= Kernel 5.14.0-odroid-arm64

Reading GPIO in sysfs works (switch connected between pins 13 and 14 on the header):

Code: Select all

$ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio | grep PIN_13
 gpio-496 (PIN_13              )
$ echo 496 | sudo tee /sys/class/gpio/export
$ cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio496/value
0/1   <----- Changes with button press/release

I'm looking at this instruction for inspiration, even though it is for Android: https://wiki.odroid.com/common/applicat ... on_android

Also looking at this, which I successfully used on an RPi-4 before: https://blog.geggus.net/2017/01/setting ... raspberry-

The Odroid wiki page uses the gpio_keys_polled driver, but the RPi instruction uses gpio_keys (i.e. interrupt-driven?).

I noticed that tobetter's kernel has the gpio_keys driver compiled in, but not the gpio_keys_polled driver:

$ grep KEYBOARD_GPIO /boot/config-5.14.0-odroid-arm64
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO=y
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO_POLLED is not set
So I first tried this devicetree overlay, using gpio-keys (saved as keypad.dts):

/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;
/ {
    fragment@0 {
        target-path = "/";
        __overlay__ {
            keypad_gpio {
                compatible = "gpio-keys";
                button@0 {
                    label = "GPIO Button Up";
                    linux,code = <103>;
                    gpios = <&gpio 496 1>;
                };
            };
        };
    };
};

$ sudo dtc -I dts -O dtb -o /boot/dtbs/5.14.0-odroid-arm64/amlogic/overlays/odroidn2/keypad.dtbo keypad.dts
Then updated /boot/config.ini:

[generic]
overlays="keypad"
After rebooting, it seems the devicetree overlay is loaded by the kernel:

$ ls /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/
keypad_gpio
But there is no keyboard input when pushing the button, and 'lsinput' lists only the 'meson-ir' device.

I understand from reading online that /sys/class/gpio/gpioX/edge should be present if IRQ is supported on the pin. I do not get an 'edge' file for any of the GPIO pins, so I suspect this might be a problem?
However, this page says GPIO IRQ is supported on the N2: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/appli ... e/gpio/irq

Anyway, I also tried building the gpio_keys_polled driver as a module. It loads successfully and shows up in 'lsmod'. I changed to 'compatible = "gpio-keys-polled"' in the devicetree overlay.
But still no keyboard input when pressing the button, and no new input device in 'lsinput'.

1) What should I try next to get either gpio_keys or gpio_keys_polled working?

2) Is there any reason to use gpio_keys_polled, since IRQ should be supported on the N2? E.g. is there a max number of GPIO IRQs available that limits the number of buttons, or something?

micle
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GPIO keypad on tobetter's Ubuntu 21.10

Post by micle »

After building the gpio_keys_polled module, the kernel does load it automatically on boot if I have a devicetree overlay with 'compatible = "gpio-keys-polled"':

$ dmesg | grep gpio_keys
[    3.348650] gpio_keys_polled: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel
[    3.349240] gpio_keys_polled keypad_gpio: missing poll_interval value
[    3.350214] gpio_keys_polled: probe of keypad_gpio failed with error -22
After adding 'poll_interval = <100>;' to my overlay, the last two lines disappear and the module loads fine.

But still no input when pressing the button, and also still no device in 'lsinput'.

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”