Table

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Table

Unread postby HaDAk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:31 pm

I just wanted to share a project I'm working on right now. I'm building a coffee table powered by an X2 with a 40" multitouch LED. It has a soundbar and wireless subwoofer, inductive charger, USB and power outlets, and lots of storage. Here's a mockup, while I wait for the touch panel to be delivered so I can start the actual build.

Coffee table design.png
Coffee table design.png (318.73 KiB) Viewed 5663 times


Edit: Sketchup file available for anybody that wants to take a closer look at the build. Just PM me.
HaDAk
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: X2

Re: Table

Unread postby mdrjr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:58 pm

This is... omg..

"Shut up and take my money?"
mdrjr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11694
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm
Location: Brazil
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: Table

Unread postby HaDAk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 pm

The front legs were designed to hold a charging device (phone, tablet, whatever) OR the top fits a pop can, and the bottom fits a standard size beer bottle. The drawer on the front includes an internal powered USB hub to charge game controllers when not in use.
HaDAk
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: X2

Re: Table

Unread postby mindforger » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 pm

and now a poker app, everybody connects via WIFI with their phone for their handcards and place their bets with a gesture over the tablescreen XD
mindforger
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:54 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: ODROID-X

Re: Table

Unread postby HaDAk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:36 pm

Well, I've got Catan and Monopoly for it. The original purpose is to use Yatse to remote control my media center. I'd rather flip through the library than use a remote. Seems like an awful lot of money spent for that purpose, but it is what it is. (And it is going to be AWESOME)
HaDAk
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: X2

Re: Table

Unread postby mindforger » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 pm

will it be powered by android or any basic linux? just in case of android you should consider making money with that idea, as for a special new-gen gaming table it'll be still pretty cheap in material cost! and you could earn additional money with apps designed for use with it! as nearly every kid nowadays has a smartphone and there are so many games where you need you own "hand" to not be seen by other people ... consider playing risk on that table .. it would be awesome
mindforger
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:54 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: ODROID-X

Re: Table

Unread postby HaDAk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:43 pm

It's powered by android. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a programmer. (Certainly not a game programmer...). If somebody wants to step up and write some apps, I've got a few ideas. If not, it'll probably be a one of a kind invention.
HaDAk
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: X2

Re: Table

Unread postby odroid » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 am

Starbucks will scout your brain.. :o

Order/Pay/Commercials for Coffee!!
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 29067
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Table

Unread postby HaDAk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53 am

Sure. You could even integrate NFC with little trouble -- enabling tap-to-pay right on the table.
HaDAk
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: X2

Re: Table

Unread postby Hamiko » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Dammit, Awesome! :) How much is the Touch-Panel? and which? :-O Can you raise the Panel, so you can use it like a TV? Like the new Touchultrabooks, with the mechanism to raise the screen.
Hamiko
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Germany
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid-U3

Re: Table

Unread postby CmdrKeen » Mon May 20, 2013 11:56 am

That is truly awesome. Where did you find a touch panel that large?
User avatar
CmdrKeen
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:38 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: X2 (On Order)

Re: Table

Unread postby hakatit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:55 am

Ok, I had a similar plan two years ago for my house, but was going to use a Zotac MAG for the computer power... Sadly I just sold the PC, luckily I have an Odroid U2 and X2!
So first off, Where did you find the monitor. I need one in the 32" range. I never found one that was capacitive touch and at the time I was looking, everything was $5k or more for such a thing!
Next I'll explain the idea I had. I wanted the OS to not have a direction or orientation. The idea was that users could sit around it, have their own user space, yet share across with each other. It would be very complicated to pull off I think, as it would require a completely new type of window manager, however I think Linux would be a great platform for it.
For what you're doing, I still love it. Even if it just plays angry Birds and lets you sort through the news and look at your calendar, it would be awesome!

Please let me know where you found the Monitor. The table I have for this purpose has been getting beat up from regular use, so I really need to do this soon!

If I ever get around to learning Android development (It's on my list of things to do. I have a dozen apps and lots of applications that need apps) I'll let you know...
hakatit
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:45 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2 and Odroid-X

Re: Table

Unread postby Matt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:49 pm

hakatit wrote:So first off, Where did you find the monitor. I need one in the 32" range. I never found one that was capacitive touch and at the time I was looking, everything was $5k or more for such a thing!


There really aren't any cheap, large, capacitive multi-touch monitors on the market, but there are the thin LED backlight TVs and there are huge capacitive multi-touch panels that you can place in front of the TV. I did follow a link to a website for a company that sells these large touch panels, but it didn't have any prices on it, and I can't remember the site (I didn't bookmark it because it didn't have prices).
ODROID Boards: U2, X2, XU+E rev.2
Accessories: VU, Smart Power, 13" LCD Kit (for the X2)
User avatar
Matt
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:57 pm
Location: Charlottesville, VA, USA
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: X2, U2, XU+E rev.2, Smart Power

Re: Table

Unread postby odroid » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:59 pm

User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 29067
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Table

Unread postby HaDAk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:35 am

Matt wrote:There really aren't any cheap, large, capacitive multi-touch monitors on the market, but there are the thin LED backlight TVs and there are huge capacitive multi-touch panels that you can place in front of the TV. I did follow a link to a website for a company that sells these large touch panels, but it didn't have any prices on it, and I can't remember the site (I didn't bookmark it because it didn't have prices).


Yeah, you've got it. It's a 42" Samsung LED TV with a PQ Labs touch panel (http://multitouch.com/product.html)

It took SEVERAL months, but I finally got them to release the necessary files to me, so I can get the touch panel working on the ODROID instead of their slow little iStick that it ships with. Unfortunately, I'm not getting adb off the ODROID right now, and the software is out of date... so I'm downloading the newest 4.1 beta. That's painfully slow too. 20kbps? Come on. :|

Anyway. I have been using the table (albeit, without the completed wood base...) for several months now. It works like a charm. Looking forward to getting the ODROID finally working with it, and finishing the build. I'll be sure to post pictures when I do.
HaDAk
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: X2

Re: Table

Unread postby Matt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:41 pm

HaDAk wrote:
Matt wrote:There really aren't any cheap, large, capacitive multi-touch monitors on the market, but there are the thin LED backlight TVs and there are huge capacitive multi-touch panels that you can place in front of the TV. I did follow a link to a website for a company that sells these large touch panels, but it didn't have any prices on it, and I can't remember the site (I didn't bookmark it because it didn't have prices).


Yeah, you've got it. It's a 42" Samsung LED TV with a PQ Labs touch panel (http://multitouch.com/product.html)

It took SEVERAL months, but I finally got them to release the necessary files to me, so I can get the touch panel working on the ODROID instead of their slow little iStick that it ships with. Unfortunately, I'm not getting adb off the ODROID right now, and the software is out of date... so I'm downloading the newest 4.1 beta. That's painfully slow too. 20kbps? Come on. :|

Anyway. I have been using the table (albeit, without the completed wood base...) for several months now. It works like a charm. Looking forward to getting the ODROID finally working with it, and finishing the build. I'll be sure to post pictures when I do.


It's awesome to hear that you're still working on this. The newer (v1.8) Android versions have a lot of fixes in them, so you should have an easier time getting everything to work properly when you get it downloaded. I would suggest that you download from mdrjr's mirror server rather than the official dn.odroid.com server. The hardkernel server is in S. Korea, I think, and they have terribly slow bandwidth. mdrjr's server has a 2Gbps link and it just screams at network transfers (I mirrored some stuff from his mirror server to my VPS and was getting more than 700Mbps... which is the fastest I have ever seen my VPS do a network transfer). The files should be browsable somewhere in http://www.odroid.in/mirror/dn.odroid.com/, I think.
ODROID Boards: U2, X2, XU+E rev.2
Accessories: VU, Smart Power, 13" LCD Kit (for the X2)
User avatar
Matt
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:57 pm
Location: Charlottesville, VA, USA
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: X2, U2, XU+E rev.2, Smart Power

Re: Table

Unread postby kazolar » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:18 am

Hi, I am in the middle of a build -- I've had the odroid board laying around for months, my build was going to be a coffee table with windows 8, then I decided to make it controlled by a kvm to switch to android -- using their iStick, but it is rather slow. I want to use my oDroid board, would you be able to share the files which I'd need to load onto the oDroid to get pq labs touch panel to work? I installed the calibration util, but that's clearly not enough.
kazolar
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:13 am
languages_spoken: english

Re: Table

Unread postby yesinlu » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:18 am

Hi all,
we provide large touch screen solution(22"-65") in Android .
see our demo http://www.noyarc.com/#!blank/c13e3 all in RK3188 Android.

But now, we are going to migrate our android solution to ODROID-U3
yesinlu
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 am
languages_spoken: Chinese
ODROIDs: U3

Re: Table

Unread postby magnum_pi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:45 am

mindforger wrote:and now a poker app, everybody connects via WIFI with their phone for their handcards and place their bets with a gesture over the tablescreen XD

I came up with a similar idea a while back (when everyone was thinking "tablets: what are they even good for?"). You can actually have your cards (or scrabble tiles or whatever) displayed on the tablet screen, but just have something (eh, a screen, though of a different kind) that you can cover them with so other players don't see.
Also thought about playing poker by having all your friends around and everyone having their own device. Except I thought, nobody can trust the dealer's computer to be fair. Fortunately, there are algorithms for doing a fair coin toss between two parties using cryptography, and that can be expanded to having a fair deck of cards. In the end, while I figured it was possible, it would just be hideously complicated to implement and owning an actual deck of cards was a lot easier.
Props (not of the leg kind) for the table, by the way. You should try to find space for some arcade joysticks, though, so you can use it to play things like Space Invaders, Pacman and whatever old classic 2-player games came out in a table form cabinet...
magnum_pi
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:37 am
languages_spoken: English, Japanese, French, Irish
ODROIDs: U2, X2, XU, U3


Return to Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest