[OS] Debian Stretch for ODROID N2

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

[OS] Debian Stretch for ODROID N2

Unread post by meveric » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:29 am

This is the first version of my Debian Stretch image for the ODROID N2.

It is uses the 4.9 LTS Kernel from Hardkernel.

It's a headless server image only with user root. But it has all my repositories included, which allows for easy installation and updates of packages such as Kernel and Headers and other packages.

The image has my usual setup: means on first boot it's resizing the rootfs partition and configures SSH. It will automatically reboot after the initial setup after which this image is ready to use.
Kernel and headers are already installed if you need to build your own drivers.
A few basic tools such as htop, mc, vim and bash-completion are already installed for your convenience.

Download: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/St ... -N2.img.xz md5 sha512 sig
Mirror: http://fuzon.co.uk/meveric/images/Stret ... -N2.img.xz md5 sha512 sig

Size compressed: 113MB
Size uncompressed: 897 MB

Default Login: root
Default Password: odroid

It's ready to be used as a server image.

First things first:
Since there's constantly new development for this image and ODROIDs in general the First thing you should do after the image is up and running is to install all updates:

Code: Select all

apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade
How to convert the image into a Desktop image:
The image can easily converted into a Desktop image looking similar to this:

I created a setup tool that's already preinstalled:

setup-odroid
Which should easily allow you to install a Desktop Environment.

Please Note:
There are no X11 GPU drivers for the ODROID N2 which means there is no 3D acceleration available for Desktop applications. You can still run fbdev applications such as Kodi, glmark2-es2-fbdev, retroarch or others from the desktop, but it will be using the entire framebuffer and the desktop in the background can cause issues (such as clock shining through or other desktop applications).

Hints:
Changing language:
If you install a Desktop environment you should already have keybord-configuration installed, it will ask upon the first installation what keyboard layout it should use.
This configuration is for your X11 Desktop so you have your desired keyboard layout.
For console you need to install console-setup to do the same, so just in case:

apt-get install console-setup keyboard-configuration
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
should be all that is needed to change your keyboard layout.
You probably want to set timezone as well

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
Setting up WLAN from command line
viewtopic.php?p=257420#p257420

Webbrowser:
Since the N2 does not have X11 GPU drivers none of the webbrowsers available will have hardware accelerated browsing.
Means you won't have "smooth scrolling", "WebGL" or other 3D features that require working hardware acceleration on the Desktop.
I suggest using FireFox for webbrowsing, as it's faster than Chromium and supports YouTube videos up to 1080p.
If you want to use Chromium anyway, make sure to start it with the option --use-gl=none or else it will try to use MESA with Software rendering which is very slow and will cause even more slowdowns.

Kodi with hardware acceleration:
Kodi with hardware acceleration can also be installed with the tool setup-odroid and I'd suggest to use this rather than manually trying to install it, as there are modules that need to be loaded, and permissions to be configured in order to get Kodi working.
Once again it's running with fbdev, and although you can start it from desktop, the desktop can cause some issues in displaying.

General Notice:
Most of the applications I provide in my repositories are for X11 systems, since the N2 does not support X11 there's a high chance they won't work.
Some of them (that do not require a GPU) will work, others may not.
I also offer specific fbdev applications such as retroarch for example which allow you to utilize the GPU of the N2, but won't work "nicely" with a desktop, please keep that in mind when you use my image.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 4):
xabolcs (Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 pm) • DanDroid (Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:52 am) • ramsy (Wed May 08, 2019 4:08 am) • TomasC (Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 pm)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

rooted
languages_spoken: english

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch for ODROID N2 WIP

Unread post by rooted » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:13 am

Subscribed, thanks for doing the build so quickly.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 pm

Few things I forgot (will be fixed with next image):
  1. I forgot to install Kernel Image and Kernel Header meta packages:
    apt install linux-image-arm64-n2 linux-headers-arm64-n2
    which are required for automatic updates in the future
  2. HardKernel pre-loads tons of modules:

media_clock
    firmware
    decoder_common
    stream_input
    amvdec_avs
    amvdec_h264
    amvdec_h264_4k2k
    amvdec_mh264
    amvdec_h264mvc
    amvdec_h265
    amvdec_mjpeg
    amvdec_mmjpeg
    amvdec_mpeg12
    amvdec_mpeg4
    amvdec_mmpeg4
    amvdec_real
    amvdec_vc1
    amvdec_vp9

which need to be placed in /etc/modules
  3. amvdec_h264_4k2k does not exist on HK Kernel, I fixed that in my Kernel and with latest update of my Kernel this module is available.
  4. completely forgot to add mounts in /etc/fstab :(
    the following lines need to be added to /etc/fstab

UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859       /       ext4    errors=remount-ro,noatime,discard       0       1
    UUID=EC51-067C                                  /boot   vfat    noatime,discard                         0       2

5. in case you want to access decoders with "normal" users:

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-odroid_amlogic.rules 
    KERNEL=="am*", MODE="0666"

I also found that the decoders ask for several firmware files that do not exist:

[   12.973254] firmware_codec firmware_vdec: Direct firmware load for video/h264_multi.bin failed with error -2
[   12.999718] firmware_codec firmware_vdec: Direct firmware load for video/h264.bin failed with error -2
[   13.025626] firmware_codec firmware_vdec: Direct firmware load for video/h265.bin failed with error -2
[   13.051895] firmware_codec firmware_vdec: Direct firmware load for video/h264_enc.bin failed with error -2
[   13.079099] firmware_codec firmware_vdec: Direct firmware load for video/video_ucode.bin failed with error -2
I checked the Kernel and these firmware files are nowhere to be found

The above points all have been addressed with the new image, and should no longer be an issue.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 am

Something weird.
I could play several different 4K H264/H265 videos by c2play on the framebuffer & Ubuntu minimal.
I have only two firmware binaries.

root@odroid:/lib/firmware/video# ls -alp
total 872
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Nov 26 08:53 ./
drwxr-xr-x 81 root root  36864 Feb 16 05:34 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  76288 Nov 26 08:53 h264_enc.bin
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 768768 Nov 26 08:53 video_ucode.bin

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 am

yep I've seen the same.
The firmware files are just tried to be loaded when the modules are loaded, if you check dmesg | grep firmware you will see the same output as above.
I also only found the two firmware files, both in your Kernel sources as well as the buildroot from AmLogic, apparently the files are not really required but are tried to be loaded anyway.

I also don't know if the h264_4k2k is used for anything, I just noticed it was missing but existed, so I added it.
Wonder if there's like a performance difference.

Also please note this is specific for H264 not H265.
I think H264 was not designed with 4k in mind and normal drivers don't have this resolution.
In fact I once tried to create a 4k H264 file and was denied by the encoder as 4k was not a supported resolution by the H264 encoder.
Maybe the h264_4k2k module is only for specific h264 4k videos.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am

I see. We may need to remove the unused(probably) modules after some tests in the future.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 am

I've started to build and test some packages, which can be found here:
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/N2

You'll find retroarch for fbdev as well, which should be able to use most (if not all) libretro modules from here: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/tes ... cores/new/ which I created some time ago for the C2.

Please Note: fbdev sucks and what happens on your console may shine through retroarch.
To avoid this you can disable the tty you're currently using by using the command:
systemctl stop getty@ttyX where X represents the VT you're currently using (by default it should be tty1, but if you switch to tty2 by pressing CTRL + ALT + F2, or any other of the VTs you have to select the appropriate number for ttyX).

I also have Kodi, one version with software decoder and one version that should be able to use hardware decoding, but I can't get the hardware decoder to work yet.

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by crashoverride » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:00 am

meveric wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 am
what happens on your console may shine through retroarch.
The console should be set to 'graphics' mode:
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/c ... .h#L64-L77

BaldNerd
languages_spoken: English, PHP, Klingon
ODROIDs: XU4Q, CloudShell2

Unread post by BaldNerd » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 pm

Thanks meveric. I'm so glad to see you got started on this so early. I just received my dev board for NEMS Linux and had hoped there'd be a base image I could get started with :)

Keep up the great work!!
Robbie
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd
Category5 TV Network - Category5.TV
NEMS Nagios Enterprise Monitoring Server - nemslinux.com

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:42 am

thanks as well, love your shows :)
i should update the image soon, fix all the issues i found described in the first posts.
let me know if you have any trouble with the image.

meveric

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch for ODROID N2

Unread post by meveric » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:54 am

I've updated the image and added official support with setup-odroid for this image.

You can use it to install Kodi or a Desktop, please keep in mind, since there is no X11 drivers, the desktop runs without hardware acceleration and 3D desktop applications won't work.
Only fbdev applications will work.

poincare
languages_spoken: English, German, French
ODROIDs: ODROID XU4, ODROID C2, ODROID N2

Unread post by poincare » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:51 am

Thanks for this work. No free time this week but I'm hoping to let 'er rip later when time frees up and work is less hectic.

xabolcs
ODROIDs: N2

Unread post by xabolcs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi meveric!

Thanks for your work!

I'd like to use my eMMC storage to dual boot Android and Debian. It's safe to resize back the rootfs after it's initial setup?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:27 pm

sure that's fine you can do that :)

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 am

Hi meveric! ;)

Your distro page seems to be down from here, it's intended?

W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/all/InRelease  Connection timed out after 120000 milliseconds
W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/stretch/InRelease  Connection timed out after 120000 milliseconds
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Is a valid idea to use BTRFS as a rootfs on eMMC with your Debian distro?

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 am

The server is under maintenance now.
We are checking when it is back.

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 pm

odroid wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 am
The server is under maintenance now.
Like some other mirrors from the Ubuntu download page?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:16 pm

you can change https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric with http://fuzon.co.uk/meveric in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/meveric*.list and it should work again.
This is a mirror made for DietPi.

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm

meveric wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:16 pm
you can change https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric with http://fuzon.co.uk/meveric in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/meveric*.list and it should work again.
This is a mirror made for DietPi.
I hoped so but waited for some confirmation! sed did the trick! Thanks!

# sed -i -e 's/https:\/\/oph.mdrjr.net\/meveric/http:\/\/fuzon.co.uk\/meveric/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/meveric-*.list

Ohh, and almost forgot:

root@odroid-emmc-stretch64:~# screenfetch
         _,met$$$$$gg.           root@odroid-emmc-stretch64
      ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.        OS: Debian
    ,g$$P""       """Y$$.".      Kernel: aarch64 Linux 4.9.162+
   ,$$P'              `$$$.      Uptime: 7h 39m
  ',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:    Packages: 220
  `d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$     Shell: bash 4.4.12
   $$P      d$'     ,    $$P     CPU: Hardkernel ODROID-N2 @ 1.896GHz
   $$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'     RAM: 170MiB / 3712MiB
   $$\;      Y$b._   _,d$P'
   Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'
   `$$b      "-.__
    `Y$$
     `Y$$.
       `$$b.
         `Y$$b.
            `"Y$b._
                `""""

8-)

nogareth
languages_spoken: english , german
ODROIDs: N2 4GB, Xu3(sold), Xu4(dead)
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by nogareth » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi, meveric!

I've used your GST image on my Xu4 for years as a full homeserver environment with retrogaming on top of it until my xu4 became unstable and died . (RIP)
Do you have any plans to bring your Gamestation to N2
when the system and drivers have matured a little more?

Since my xu4 got replaced by some China x86 atom box, I am planning to use my n2 as pure mediacenter, and still think your image would be the best for it.
Emuelec runs quite well right now but you are very limited when it comes to tweaking it yourself.

Regards , Nogareth

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:58 pm

The ODROID N2 doesn't have X11 drivers, so the same kind of image as available for the XU4 will probably not be possible for the N2.
Wayland may be an alternative but I'm not very familiar with it and can't say if it will ever come clone to what is running on the XU4 at the moment.

nogareth

Unread post by nogareth » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:24 pm

I've already read about the x11 driver issues, but i am optimistic there will be a way around it. Think about the xu4 blackscreen issue that was around for quite some time. We'll see what happens in the next month's.

Anyway thanks for your efforts!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:33 pm

nogareth wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:24 pm
Think about the xu4 blackscreen issue that was around for quite some time. We'll see what happens in the next month's.
This was an issue in the existing drivers/kernel... but the N2 doesn't even HAVE drivers. A "faulty" driver can be fixed.. but you can't fix an non-existing driver :)

nogareth

Unread post by nogareth » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Ok this might be a real problem. ;)
Then wait for Wayland support and see what's coming .

BadPritt
languages_spoken: english dutch french spanish german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:33 am

Hi Meveric. First thank you for the great work you're doing.
I am again having problems with network.
I can't connect any of my wifi dongles, and ethernet is not working either.
I tried with setup-odroid to install the wifi kernel, nothing happened.
With ethernet the light on the right was on(I'm colorblind, no idea what color), but nothing showed up in iwconfig.

I am very impressed by the board. I needed it to do all my Blender renders. And it's flying thru that. My NanoPi M4 is just no match for it.
Greetings, NicoD

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:18 am

BadPritt wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:33 am
Hi Meveric. First thank you for the great work you're doing.
I am again having problems with network.
I can't connect any of my wifi dongles, and ethernet is not working either.
I haven't done much testing with Network and the N2 yet. I use LAN cable and it worked fine.
Let me test some of my wifi dongles and Debian Stretch MATE Desktop to see what I can find out.

ODROID WiFi Module 5a (got that one with my N2) works after I installed firmware-misc-nonfree package from Debian as it required rt2870.bin firmware file.
ODROID WiFi Module 5 worked right away, I didn't even need any firmware files (probably part of the Kernel)
ODROID WiFi Module 3 worked right away as well, although it was found as two different adapters... very odd, but still was working

So generally wireless should work, although I haven't tried it on command line yet.
BadPritt wrote:
I tried with setup-odroid to install the wifi kernel, nothing happened.
That one is for the WiFi Module 4 from HardKernel, not sure if it will do any good for any other WiFi module.
BadPritt wrote:
With ethernet the light on the right was on(I'm colorblind, no idea what color), but nothing showed up in iwconfig.
Light on the right side is gigabit ethernet connection and should be fine.
Depending on if you use desktop or console there are a few things we can try.. like using dhclient eth0 to force the adapter to ask the DHCP server for a new IP.
Also you should try using "ip a" instead of "iwconfig" at least for checking IPs and status.
BadPritt wrote:
I am very impressed by the board. I needed it to do all my Blender renders. And it's flying thru that. My NanoPi M4 is just no match for it.
Greetings, NicoD
It's ok-ish of a board but I miss some drivers mainly X11 GPU drivers, which makes it hard to use for my taste.. many many workarounds to get things working properly.

BadPritt
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:00 am

meveric wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:18 am
So generally wireless should work, although I haven't tried it on command line yet.
I'm having very strange results.
None of my 4 dongles work. I don't have any Odroid dongles.

I tried again with ethernet. 95% of the time it doesn't get an ip, but 2 times I've gotten an IP, I then did apt update.
And it did it in bytes, not KB not MB... The calculated download time was 30minutes. But after a minute it just stop working all together and I only got ign.

I of course tried the same with my C2. That worked fine with the same cable. I rebooted my router and tried another cable.

It's like I'm connected to the worst wifi ever, but it's over ethernet.
My dongles all work with Ubuntu. I'll now try my ethernet with Ubuntu.
(just thought of it I've got my 5Ghz USB3 wifi antenna from my pc to try)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:10 am

BadPritt wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:00 am
I tried again with ethernet. 95% of the time it doesn't get an ip, but 2 times I've gotten an IP, I then did apt update.
And it did it in bytes, not KB not MB... The calculated download time was 30minutes. But after a minute it just stop working all together and I only got ign.
That sounds like a duplicated MAC/IP address and packet loss due to this, as it's unclear to which device the system should connect.
BadPritt wrote:
I of course tried the same with my C2. That worked fine with the same cable. I rebooted my router and tried another cable.
Cable is unlikely but maybe a faulty LAN adapter.. do you have a USB LAN adapter that you could use as an alternative?
BadPritt wrote:
It's like I'm connected to the worst wifi ever, but it's over ethernet.
My dongles all work with Ubuntu. I'll now try my ethernet with Ubuntu.
(just thought of it I've got my 5Ghz USB3 wifi antenna from my pc to try)
Ubuntu might work if the firmware files required are already pre-installed.
A good test is to connect the WiFi adapter and then check with:

dmesg | grep firmware
It often reveals if some firmware file is missing.

tail -f /var/log/syslog
can also be very helpful if you connect the WLAN adapter while the system is running.. you should see how a new USB device is connected and then follow the log what it's trying to do with it.

BadPritt
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:34 am

meveric wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:10 am
Cable is unlikely but maybe a faulty LAN adapter.. do you have a USB LAN adapter that you could use as an alternative?
Well, guess you're right. Ethernet also doesn't work in Ubuntu. Exactly the same behaviour. Good news for you, less for me.
I don't have a usb lan adapter. I'll see to order one.

It also takes about 3 to 4 minutes before your image boots up. Is that actually normal? It seems to take way too long for just a sever image. The first time I almost pulled out the power because I didn't believe it was still booting.
meveric wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:10 am

dmesg | grep firmware

It often reveals if some firmware file is missing.

tail -f /var/log/syslog
I added a picture with the outcome of those commands. It didn't finish "tail -f /var/log/syslog" it stayed at the point you can see.
Attachments
DSCN5944.JPG
DSCN5944.JPG (589.3 KiB) Viewed 10404 times

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:51 am

BadPritt wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:34 am
Well, guess you're right. Ethernet also doesn't work in Ubuntu. Exactly the same behaviour. Good news for you, less for me.
Could be a case of RMA if it's actually faulty.. But as I said, if possible try to rule out any other device on the network that might share the same IP/MAC just in case.
BadPritt wrote:
It also takes about 3 to 4 minutes before your image boots up. Is that actually normal?
Cold boot of N2 into MATE desktop takes about 20 seconds for me booting from a 64GB eMMC, so no it should be much faster, maybe the SD/eMMC you're using is starting to wear?
BadPritt wrote:
It seems to take way too long for just a sever image. The first time I almost pulled out the power because I didn't believe it was still booting.
I agree it should be much faster.
BadPritt wrote:
I added a picture with the outcome of those commands. It didn't finish "tail -f /var/log/syslog" it stayed at the point you can see.
That it stays like this is normal... the option "-f" means it should continue to print out all changes on the file until you press CTRL + C.
This is quite useful, as you can instantly see when something changes.. and unplugging/replugging a USB device will instantly show in the log :)
Although the output of the device does say something about "Unsupported device".
20:11:54 -> USB disconnected -> unplugged USB device
20:16:13 -> new high-speed USB device -> USB device connected
20:16:14 -> Unsupported device -> seem it doesn't know what to do with it.. you should try a different device if you have one...

Just switch them out and check what the log shows :)

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 am

@BadPritt, could you try to switch the network speed to 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps with this command?

sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full

BadPritt
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:19 am

meveric wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:51 am
Cold boot of N2 into MATE desktop takes about 20 seconds for me booting from a 64GB eMMC, so no it should be much faster, maybe the SD/eMMC you're using is starting to wear?
Mate also boots that quickly, only your image that takes a really long time before I get anything on my display. Any way of showing the kernel log? Maybe it's blocking somewhere.
meveric wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:51 am
But as I said, if possible try to rule out any other device on the network that might share the same IP/MAC just in case.
Nothing else was connected to my router. My pc it's wifi antenna was pulled out to try it on the N2. I don't have any other devices on that network.(don't own a smart-phone/smart-tv/tablet...)

First picture my 5 dongles. In the same order I've put them in. Only the Fritz! gave another output because of it's virtual cd-rom.
But all 5 give unsupported device.
Attachments
DSCN5960.JPG
DSCN5960.JPG (542.38 KiB) Viewed 10384 times
DSCN5948.JPG
DSCN5948.JPG (811.74 KiB) Viewed 10384 times

BadPritt
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:39 am

tobetter wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 am
@BadPritt, could you try to switch the network speed to 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps with this command?

-bash: ethtool: command not found (it's root user so no sudo)

Can't install it since I don't have internet :D

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:56 am

Your Kernel looks very odd...
Linux odroid-stretch64 4.9.162-22
That is none of my Kernel.

Also now that I look at the picture I see you have eMMC and SD card connected at the same time...

Could it be that you have Ubuntu and Debian connected at the same time?
If so, please remove the Ubuntu image, as you will have lots of issues with this combination.
This would actually explain a lot of the issues I've seen in the syslog that I was confused about... like missing /lib/modules/ folder.

BadPritt
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 am

meveric wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:56 am
Your Kernel looks very odd...
Linux odroid-stretch64 4.9.162-22
That is none of my Kernel.

Also now that I look at the picture I see you have eMMC and SD card connected at the same time...

Could it be that you have Ubuntu and Debian connected at the same time?
If so, please remove the Ubuntu image, as you will have lots of issues with this combination.
This would actually explain a lot of the issues I've seen in the syslog that I was confused about... like missing /lib/modules/ folder.
You're very attentive to notice that.
I've removed the eMMC. It was indeed Ubuntu on that.
Now it says 4.9.162+ instead of 4.9.162-22
It now finds my dongles, But can't connect to my network.
Do you use /etc/network/interfaces to set the settings? I tried and checked again and again, but no connection. (could be me, I've gotten drunk in the meantime...)
nmcli isn't installed so I guess it's with interfaces?

I also don't see a cursor, that was the same in ubuntu Server. So I've got to guess where the cursor is to adjust something.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:56 am

BadPritt wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 am
Do you use /etc/network/interfaces to set the settings?
Yes /etc/network/interfaces should be used and hold configuration for eth0.
So I guess LAN should work now.
BadPritt wrote:
I tried and checked again and again, but no connection. (could be me, I've gotten drunk in the meantime...)
nmcli isn't installed so I guess it's with interfaces?
That is true, no nmcli is installed, but you can use wpa_supplicant to configure your network adapter, or use /etc/network/interfaces.
BadPritt wrote:
I also don't see a cursor, that was the same in ubuntu Server. So I've got to guess where the cursor is to adjust something.
Yes sadly that's true... On the C2 I was able to fix this, but not on the N2.

BadPritt
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:33 am

meveric wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:56 am
Yes sadly that's true... On the C2 I was able to fix this, but not on the N2.
That's rough. It's a detail, but still important for many.
For me it's still a great board since I'll use it for it's cpu power(video editing/blender rendering) so I've got my pc free for other tasks.
But I've got to review this board, and don't know who else it's for.
Not great for gaming, not the best for nas or other server tasks. Not the best for desktop use. Not the best connectivity.
it's got it's cpu performance...
I hope things will get better.
I'll wait before making my review video about it for some weeks.

I've got problems in Ubuntu too.
But I don't expect any different from a new SBC. For being this new it's one of the best.
But it's got to improve like some others did to be a great SBC.
meveric wrote:
wpa_supplicant
That's too hard for a drunk man. I'll try again tomorrow with a fresh head. Thank you for all the help.
You're doing a great job!

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by crashoverride » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:07 pm

meveric wrote:
On the C2 I was able to fix this, but not on the N2.
Maybe this patch should be applied to odroidn2_defconfig also?
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/com ... 7b022da102

It looks like its only configured on odroidn2_spibios_defconfig.

- CONFIG_AMLOGIC_MEDIA_FB_OSD2_CURSOR=y
+ # CONFIG_AMLOGIC_MEDIA_FB_OSD2_CURSOR is not set

+ #if defined(CONFIG_ARCH_MESON64_ODROID_COMMON)
+ 	&& !defined(CONFIG_AMLOGIC_MEDIA_FB_OSD2_CURSOR)
+ 	.fb_cursor      = soft_cursor,
+ #else

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:12 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:07 pm
meveric wrote:

+ #else
This works, but it's omitted from odroidn2_defconfig since there were a kind of bug of cursor showing on top of GL screen according to mdrjr on former ODROID boards.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:34 pm

Slow bootup times are a consequence of network issues (it waits too long for dhcp). Try booting with ethernet disconnected and it will be much faster.

Regarding network - somebody reported massive packetloss with gigabit speeds, so try 100M (either 2 pair cable, or forced from the switch) - just to see if it's the same issue.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:40 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:07 pm
meveric wrote:

+ #else
On the C2 I simply use CONFIG_FB_SOFT_CURSOR=y instead which works perfectly fine.
But as I said, this doesn't work directly on the N2.
Maybe I can patch in .fb_cursor = soft_cursor instead.. But I'll have to look for that.
tobetter wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:12 pm
This works, but it's omitted from odroidn2_defconfig since there were a kind of bug of cursor showing on top of GL screen according to mdrjr on former ODROID boards.
Which is no surprise with fbdev applications, as the background always "shines through" unless you turn it off.
Start retroarch from fbdev (without turning off console) and try to play games with the keyboard and you will have a hell of a experience.
No matter if you have the soft cursor or not.

BadPritt
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 am

I tried again with Ubuntu. Again very bad ethernet connection. With this...
tobetter wrote:

... it worked.

Seems the same issue as here.
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=34497

Last post of that thread
Seems like there is possibly an issue with the ubuntu 20190329 minimal image from https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... u/20190329

I tried an ArchlinuxARM image and didn't have any issues at 1G
Strange then that not everyone has this problem.

I'll give up on Stretch for now. Wifi didn't want to connect and ethernet is not working. I don't need it for now, but would like to try it before making my review video.

The eMMC also did play up, without eMMC it's better. But seems not perfect. Maybe something that could be adjusted so this doesn't happen. On most of my sbc's I install Armbian via sd-card onto eMMC. If that would happen there it would be a complete mess.
The good thing about the N2 is that the eMMC can easily be removed. With many other boards that's not the case.
Meveric. Could you install ethtool onto your next release? And maybe lsusb and so other useful tools.
Thanks for the great work, I hope drivers can improve for you.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:18 am

@BadPritt,

I've checked the 20190329 minimal image was fine for today, but maybe need to try with another device tomorrow since a couple of guys suspect the image that the ethernet is not working which is strange.
Let me send you a PM with a file for testing and please test it if it makes the ethernet different if you don't mind.

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 am

BadPritt wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 am
I tried again with Ubuntu. Again very bad ethernet connection. With this...
tobetter wrote:

... it worked.

Seems the same issue as here.
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=34497

Last post of that thread
Check againt that thread, as it's solved now: [SOLVED] N2 ethernet only works reliably at 100M

Looks like you need to update N2's bootloader.
These users thanked the author xabolcs for the post:
meveric (Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:36 am)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:36 am

Thanks for the info, I will provide updated u-boot packages.

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:46 am

Sorry for being noob, but how does the bootloader relate to the u-boot packages?

Isn't enough to put the u-boot.bin to the SD card and booting from it?

poincare

Unread post by poincare » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:50 am

I am also experiencing issues with ethernet. I am using the latest image on the download server. I flashed this to emmc. I issued apt update and the update indicates speeds of 500 B/s. The time to finish indicator keeps going up in hours. 3h 30min 10s, 7h 11min 30sec. The only cables connected are HDMI, power, and ethernet.

I did not have this issue with Odroid provided Ubuntu image.

I have tried the ethtool but the CLI reports "-bash: ethtool: command not found".

I have issued apt install ethtool but there is an error: "E: Unable to locate package ethtool".

The board is connected to a Linksys 3200ACM Home router.

Is there another means of getting ethernet to be faster than 500B/s?

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 am

poincare wrote:I am also experiencing issues with ethernet. I am using the latest image on the download server. I flashed this to emmc. I issued apt update and the update indicates speeds of 500 B/s. The time to finish indicator keeps going up in hours. 3h 30min 10s, 7h 11min 30sec. The only cables connected are HDMI, power, and ethernet.

I did not have this issue with Odroid provided Ubuntu image.

I have tried the ethtool but the CLI reports "-bash: ethtool: command not found".

I have issued apt install ethtool but there is an error: "E: Unable to locate package ethtool".

The board is connected to a Linksys 3200ACM Home router.

Is there another means of getting ethernet to be faster than 500B/s?
The issue could be fixed if you update new U-boot. Unless please create your own thread, I can follow up.

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"

poincare

Unread post by poincare » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:09 am

tobetter wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 am
The issue could be fixed if you update new U-boot. Unless please create your own thread, I can follow up.
I don't see that in the Wiki. How do I update U boot?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:49 pm

I've uploaded a new packages u-boot to my repository, you can either install it on your own, or simply do a system update, as it's now a dependency of the Kernel.
viewtopic.php?p=253000#p253000
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
xabolcs (Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:25 pm)

Return to “Other OS”