Manjaro ARM for Odroid N2

mxmilkb
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2

Re: Manjaro ARM for Odroid N2

Post by mxmilkb »

Hmm, strange. What variety of install did you choose in the script? I went for minimal. Did you get the file permission error output at the end of the script? I'll run through it again and take an image after booting a couple of time but before touching it (except pacman.conf Color and sticking yay on :).

Edit: there was a commit regarding N2 several hours ago.

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

I built again, boot.ini from after the script didn't work, replacing it with the one provided above does. To confirm, did you delete the script temporary directory before running the script btw? If it has worked, the last step you should see is the permissions errors. Edit: actually, it didn't error at the end when I built to microSD..

I'm building kde-plasma on my 128Mb eMMC for myself now, but I'll build minimal once more without booting it after so I can take an image (good luck me uploading a 8Gb image after! never done this myself before, I do guess it compresses somewhat, not sure what service to stick it on..)

Edit: kde-plasma build then boot.ini swap works when booting from petitboot

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

Biggest problem is that sound doesn't work though it should(?)

I'm uploading a compressed minimal img to Firefox Send, which is taking it's time, but to be honest, it worked for me, it worked for tobetter, I believe odroidn2user you would be best to run through the process again to confirm it wasn't user error.

Edit: to non-Arch (or Arch derived) distro users, "there are so many headaches you just avoid in Arch Linux."

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

Here is the Firefox Send link for the minimal install - https://send.firefox.com/download/7e25d ... t_fqkIxKZg - good for 7 days or 100 downloads.

The user/password/root password/hostname is "on2".

I'm going to try enlightenment-git after kodi finally finishes compiling..

Edit: don't bother, it doesn't work!
Last edited by mxmilkb on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author mxmilkb for the post:
Sav (Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:04 pm)

Sav
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-n2

Post by Sav »

Is there the mali driver for wayland?

Inviato dal mio GM1913 utilizzando Tapatalk

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

Sav wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:05 pm
I believe yes (as complete as what is in the git repo is :). The PKGBUILD that creates the mesa-git package is here. There is some related talk on the Manjaro forum here. I can test and report something if anyone would like.

Re kodi; it was kodi-git-gbm that I compiled. I ran it from a pty but it was much slower than CoreELECs. There's also kodi-wayland-devel and kodi-git-wayland to try later.

(A small note for anyone who is coming to Arch/Manjaro - part of the magic of Arch is there are the official repos then there is the unofficially supported AUR (Arch User Repo) which doesn't contain package files but contains PKGBUILD scripts (potentially from any Arch user) which are used to create packages. This, combined with no "dependency hell" because everything is latest release (or latest/pinned commit for *-git packages), means that there is a vast number of applications available (covering the "long tail") that you don't have available in other distributions (I saw a statistic a few years ago that said it was x5 at that point). One big thing to note for searching for software in the AUR is that the version number listed is from the time the PKGBUILD maintainer last build the software before pushing the PKGBUILD to the AUR. If one were to build using the PKGBUILD locally, the pkgver() function in the PKGBUILD will update its pkgver= variable.)

Sav

Post by Sav »

mxmilkb wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:16 pm
Sav wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:05 pm
I believe yes (as complete as what is in the git repo is :). The PKGBUILD that creates the mesa-git package is here. There is some related talk on the Manjaro forum here. I can test and report something if anyone would like.

Re kodi; it was kodi-git-gbm that I compiled. I ran it from a pty but it was much slower than CoreELECs. There's also kodi-wayland-devel and kodi-git-wayland to try later.

(A small note for anyone who is coming to Arch/Manjaro - part of the magic of Arch is there are the official repos then there is the unofficially supported AUR (Arch User Repo) which doesn't contain package files but contains PKGBUILD scripts (potentially from any Arch user) which are used to create packages. This, combined with no "dependency hell" because everything is latest release (or latest/pinned commit for *-git packages), means that there is a vast number of applications available (covering the "long tail") that you don't have available in other distributions (I saw a statistic a few years ago that said it was x5 at that point). One big thing to note for searching for software in the AUR is that the version number listed is from the time the PKGBUILD maintainer last build the software before pushing the PKGBUILD to the AUR. If one were to build using the PKGBUILD locally, the pkgver() function in the PKGBUILD will update its pkgver= variable.)
I searched the manjaro's forum, and stumbled on this topic: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm ... 114406/120, in which Strit stated that they don't have mali blobs. So, I believe there is only the panfrost driver which doesn't support yet the G52 chipset (bifrost).

Sav

Post by Sav »

mxmilkb wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:16 am
Here is the Firefox Send link for the minimal install - https://send.firefox.com/download/7e25d ... t_fqkIxKZg - good for 7 days or 100 downloads.

The user/password/root password/hostname is "on2".

I'm going to try enlightenment-git after kodi finally finishes compiling..
I downloaded it and flashed on sd card with balenaetcher as usual, but it doesn't start. I get solid blue and red leds, no hdmi output, nor ethernet.

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

Sav wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:10 am
I downloaded it and flashed on sd card with balenaetcher as usual, but it doesn't start. I get solid blue and red leds, no hdmi output, nor ethernet.
Doh.. As I said, was my first attempt ever. Taking me out of the equation would help, and it would be worth much more to others if manjaro-arm-installer could output an image file, so I've made a request to Strit.

odroidn2user
ODROIDs: N2, C4

Post by odroidn2user »

You can build an image with the manjaro-arm-tools:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/wiki-contri ... -arm/91053

Like:
$ sudo buildarmoem -d on2 -e kde-plasma -v myfirstbuild -n

Builds an OEM image to distribute, so without username and with configure (username, timezone, etc) script on first boot.

Sav

Post by Sav »

odroidn2user wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:37 pm
You can build an image with the manjaro-arm-tools:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/wiki-contri ... -arm/91053

Like:
$ sudo buildarmoem -d on2 -e kde-plasma -v myfirstbuild -n

Builds an OEM image to distribute, so without username and with configure (username, timezone, etc) script on first boot.
Have I to add the tobetter's boot.ini before booting the image created with the manjaro utility?

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

Sav wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:10 pm
Have I to add the tobetter's boot.ini before booting the image created with the manjaro utility?
It is a fully automated script, which fully automatically creates/adds a boot.ini.
You'd probably have to edit the script creating the image to rewrite the boot.ini file.
And, yeah, you have to add it to the image before booting the image.

Or you could perhaps, maybe unxz the created image.xz and then mount the image file using a loop device kinda thing, like:
mount -o loop file.iso /mnt/dir

Then you sort of 'break' open the image and can probably make changes to it...
So, something thereabouts...

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

I was going to try the latter, but the process was becoming too much of a rigmarole for myself :) To be frank, I don't know why I started using the installer and not the image generator as I would have known from the start that to share a solution (I hate to pull a ladder up after myself) an image was needed. It's as it is. Btw, development chat in #panfrost is very good to see, not much mention of g52/bifrost yet though maybe I'm missing the forest for the trees.

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

Right, I've gone through the process of creating a mainline Manjaro .img.

I got a Manjaro VM from osboxes.org, booted in Virtualbox, system updated, added the -git repo to pacman.conf for manjaro-arm-tools and installed it, used it's buildarmoem (sudo buildarmoem -d on2 -e kdse-plasma -n) to create an N2 image. I then uncompressed and loop mounted it, swapped the boot.ini for the one from tobetter and made a couple of user friendly pacman.conf tweaks

Because of the one big problem noted below, I hardcoded the boot.ini root device name in the boot args to be "mmcblk1p2" (no idea if that will cause a problem if more than one storage device is available to petitboot).

I recompressed and uploaded Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-on2-20.01.img.xz, 1.1Gb, available for 7 days or 100 downloads.

# for boot partition
sudo mount -o loop,offset=32000000 Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-on2-20.01.img tmpmountdir

# for root partition
sudo mount -o loop,offset=256000512 Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-on2-20.01.img tmpmountdir

I used Etcher to copy to microSD and put it in the N2. If the switch is set to eMMC (without the eMMC in) it does work :)

One big problem: petitboot detects the wrong ${devno} and it fails to load by default (black screen). Using 'e' to edit the boot args, changing "mmcblk0p2" to "mmcblk1p2" works (tobetter will look at this).

dodgejcr, the person on the Manjaro ARM team with the N2, will retest the ways to create an install or image in the next day or so.
Last edited by mxmilkb on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
odroidn2user (Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:21 am)

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

@mxmilkb, out of curiosity...Does Manjaro KDE enable the H/W GPU acceleration? I suppose KDE Plasma might be laggy with GPU... :?:
Also, is the block device node name is mccblk*, not mmcblk*?

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:14 pm
@mxmilkb, out of curiosity...Does Manjaro KDE enable the H/W GPU acceleration? I suppose KDE Plasma might be laggy with GPU... :?:
They use llvmpipe / fbdev / fbturbo for the user space driver and keep hardware acceleration off by default.
Even on devices like the rockpro64, the panfrost userspace driver isn't enabled by default.

You can enable hardware acceleration, but they have an howto for that, and that's not for bifrost devices.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-enab ... ces/114885

They were considering making hardware acceleration the default, but up until recently (when last I checked a couple of weeks ago) they opted to go for stability over hardware acceleration.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/status-of-o ... ima/113591

And with regards to KDE plasma being laggy, they have QT packages compiled specifically for opengl es 2, so I wouldn't expect that to be slower.
But then you have software that requires full OpenGL 2, 3 of up, and that's an extra challenge. Never even mind vulkan.
It seems to be quite a challenge to create a fully accelerated desktop stack on Linux, from kernel drivers, to userspaces drivers, to toolkits, to window managers, to end user apps, to video players actually using the VPU, etc, etc.
To be honest, I am amazed it works somewhere, with all the different standards, components, packages, libraries, etc. Let alone on devices like these!

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

odroidn2user wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:51 pm
tobetter wrote:
They use llvmpipe / fbdev / fbturbo for the user space driver and keep hardware acceleration off by default.
Even on devices like the rockpro64, the panfrost userspace driver isn't enabled by default.

You can enable hardware acceleration, but they have an howto for that, and that's not for bifrost devices.

They were considering making hardware acceleration the default, but up until recently (when last I checked a couple of weeks ago) they opted to go for stability over hardware acceleration.

And with regards to KDE plasma being laggy, they have QT packages compiled specifically for opengl es 2, so I wouldn't expect that to be slower.
But then you have software that requires full OpenGL 2, 3 of up, and that's an extra challenge. Never even mind vulkan.
It seems to be quite a challenge to create a fully accelerated desktop stack on Linux, from kernel drivers, to userspaces drivers, to toolkits, to window managers, to end user apps, to video players actually using the VPU, etc, etc.
To be honest, I am amazed it works somewhere, with all the different standards, components, packages, libraries, etc. Let alone on devices like these!
Thanks for the info, I am working on Qt5 with Bifrost-Wayland driver and having some progress but KDE has no luck with me yet. Still, I am testing more features of Qt5 since some examples give an error. I am looking forward to seeing KDE eye candies on ODROID-N2. :)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 pm
Thanks for the info, I am working on Qt5 with Bifrost-Wayland driver and having some progress but KDE has no luck with me yet. Still, I am testing more features of Qt5 since some examples give an error. I am looking forward to seeing KDE eye candies on ODROID-N2. :)
Awesome, looking forward to the eye candies indeed! :)

KDE / KWin supports Wayland. I remember using Wayland on KDE a while back ago already, on Fedora x86/64. So you'd expect KDE Plasma has Wayland supported by now...

https://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland
Hmm, yeah, so it appears to be in 'tech preview' mode... probably guaranteed lots of obstacles to overcome...

The easier route forward probably is Gnome3 with Mutter. With the dash-to-dock / dash-to-panel extension, Gnome3 really can be setup to create a usable desktop environment with Gnome. That depends heavily on extensions, but still.

I am anxiously waiting on an GPU/VPU accelerated KDE for the Odroid N2, but as an in-between step an accelerated Gnome3 is awesome as well!

Sav

Post by Sav »

tobetter wrote:
odroidn2user wrote:
tobetter wrote:

I think lxqt could be a better solution, but I don't know if there is a Wayland support.
Right now the lightest desktop with Wayland could be enlightenment, but I'm unable to built it from the git repository.

As for Manjaro, it would be interesting to have aur repository for Wayland support with Mali blobs.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

Sav wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:44 pm
I think lxqt could be a better solution, but I don't know if there is a Wayland support.
Right now the lightest desktop with Wayland could be enlightenment, but I'm unable to built it from the git repository.

As for Manjaro, it would be interesting to have aur repository for Wayland support with Mali blobs.
Not a whole lot of people are anxiously awaiting an LXQT or Enlightenment distro/image/desktop, I imagine.
But as a intermediate alpha/beta stepping stone, might be an idea. Hey, if that actually works and is manageable...

I see most people talking Wayland going the Gnome3 route, so I would image that would be the best 'supported' of the bunch?
But that may not be the case with the Mali blobs, of course.
That said, seeing as the Mali blobs are closed source. It the blob doesn't do KDE or Gnome, we're royally ...... uhm, yeah.
Is there any (reference) project out there doing Wayland on the Mali blobs?

I might throw Mate with Mir in, as an alternative possible option. Mate seems to be doing Wayland using the Mir route, instead of Mutter and KWin.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... -Mir-Video
And Mir is perhaps closer to home for 'mobile' chipsets like the G52?
And there is an ubuntu snap for Mate on Wayland, so: there a snap for that!
(https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/porting- ... land/12670 and video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no8oQ_C7LH4)

And now that the Meson DRM driver functions better, perhaps Crashoverride's X11 Mali interface might be a way out?
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=34751&p=256723&hilit=jem#p256723

Sav

Post by Sav »

I tried lxqt on my PC and I was very pleased: it's simple, elegant and very fast.

Mate and mir are a proof of concept, but pretty unusable.
So I think we have to wait for a better gnome support.

Inviato dal mio GM1913 utilizzando Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Sav for the post:
odroidn2user (Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 pm)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

Sav wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:38 pm
I tried lxqt on my PC and I was very pleased: it's simple, elegant and very fast.
Not sure if LXQT doesn't use KWin though... If kwin wayland doesn't work on KDE, then probably doesn't go with LXQT.

I don't think Lxqt on Wayland is very far advanced either.
https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/10

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

tobetter wrote:
Put it this way; I've run Plasma on a RPi3b and my older laptop (that was 75% the speed of the slightly less older laptop I'm now using), and the framerate with those was too low for it to be comfortable. On the N2, even with CPU, I can click-drag windows around quickly and works well enough that I don't get frustrated by it (not that I've yet pushed it with browser, office, drawing and media open at the same time) :)
Haha, thanks, I'm mildly dyslexic, not sure what I was thinking about when I swapped mmc for mcc typing that post!

I suspect that there will be official Manjaro ARM N2 images out within the next couple of months, and after that a sway focused community release will be created.

m8kbv
ODROIDs: 2x Odroid N2 4GB
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv »

Sav wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:44 pm
tobetter wrote:
odroidn2user wrote:
tobetter wrote:

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi. I have Monjaro 19.08 XFCE.
I used the instructions:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-enab ... ces/114885. After doing the following: sudo pacman -S mesa-git qt5-es2-base qt5-es2-declarative qt5-es2-multimedia is ok. After removing the FB Turbo driver by the command: sudo pacman -R xf86-video-fbturbo-git, when I reboot - the system displays a black background, only reset via ctrl + alt + del. The system does not start. Why? Without removing FB turbo driver the system starts up correctly.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

m8kbv wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:11 pm
Hi. I have Monjaro 19.08 XFCE.
I used the instructions:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-enab ... ces/114885. After doing the following: sudo pacman -S mesa-git qt5-es2-base qt5-es2-declarative qt5-es2-multimedia is ok. After removing the FB Turbo driver by the command: sudo pacman -R xf86-video-fbturbo-git, when I reboot - the system displays a black background, only reset via ctrl + alt + del. The system does not start. Why? Without removing FB turbo driver the system starts up correctly.
Well, most likely because Panfrost doesn't support the G52 GPU used on the Odroid N2 yet.
If you uninstall the fbturbo and/or fbdev packages, there isn't a working video driver to be found.
Bu removing fbturbo, there is no 'fallback' driver for the Odroid N2.
So, no driver, no X11, so black screens.

Manjaro choose software rendering graphics (fbdev / fbturbo) above and over hardware accelerated graphics (Panfrost, Lima, etc) for their ARM distro.
In specific situations, where both software rendering and hardware acceleration are available, when you remove the software rendering driver there is a 'fallback' driver that actually supports the hardware.
This is for example the situation with the somewhat experimental Panfrost driver for rk3399 chipsets.
But for the Odroid N2, there is no hardware accelerated graphics drivers, so it has to have the software rendering graphics drivers.

Devs are working on the hardware acceleration for Odroid N2, but that's not actually really working yet.
There are some hardware accelerated Odroid N2 images, just not with a working desktop environment.

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv »

Out of curiosity, it is not possible to make an image with an accelerated graphics desktop?
So let's wait .. Regards
edit.: is there any tool to copy SD cards? Windows? MacOS? From Manjaro?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

This is not about Manjaro, but I would like to share what I've made to run GNOME Desktop with Mali Bifrost Wayland driver as well as Qt5/Wayland and written it up.
https://medium.com/@tobetter/running-gn ... a187dff055
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 2):
m8kbv (Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm) • odroidn2user (Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:50 pm)

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:35 pm
This is not about Manjaro, but I would like to share what I've made to run GNOME Desktop with Mali Bifrost Wayland driver as well as Qt5/Wayland and written it up.
https://medium.com/@tobetter/running-gn ... a187dff055
I will test today.
record a movie how it works :-)

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

tobetter wrote:
with Mali Bifrost Wayland driver
What version of Mali is that? Is it related to the binary blob from ARM? I'd like to use it in Manjaro :)

Edit: or is it your own work? Are you HdkR in #odroid and #panfrost?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

mxmilkb wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 am
tobetter wrote:
with Mali Bifrost Wayland driver
What version of Mali is that? Is it related to the binary blob from ARM? I'd like to use it in Manjaro :)

Edit: or is it your own work? Are you HdkR in #odroid and #panfrost?
The blob from Amlogic licensed by ARM and it is already uploaded to Github.
https://github.com/hardkernel/buildroot ... ayland/drm
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
mxmilkb (Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:59 am)

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

Thanks, that answers one query, but I meant to ask, what version of Mesa is that linked to?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

mxmilkb wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:11 am
Thanks, that answers one query, but I meant to ask, what version of Mesa is that linked to?
No, it just replaces the libraries installed by *mesa* packages like this.

Code: Select all

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       10 Jan 13  2020 /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libEGL.so.1.1.0 -> libmali.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       10 Jan 13  2020 /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libGLESv1_CM.so.1 -> libmali.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       10 Jan 13  2020 /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libGLESv2.so.2.1.0 -> libmali.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18357592 Jan 13  2020 /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libmali.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       23 Nov  8 20:10 /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libmali.so.0 -> libwayland-egl.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       10 Jan 13  2020 /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libwayland-egl.so.1.0.0 -> libmali.so
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
mxmilkb (Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:22 am)

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

Trying to figure this out to make a binary package for the AUR

On Arch/Manjaro:
/usr/lib/libEGL_mesa.so is owned by mesa-git 20.0.0_devel.118876.645b1953-1
/usr/lib/libwayland-egl.so is owned by wayland 1.17.0-1

So I guess I need to make two packages, mesa-git-mali and wayland-mali

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

mxmilkb wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 am

On Arch/Manjaro:

I have zero understanding of the ARCH package but have small about Debian. For the conflicting package due to libraries, what I use is Provides and Replaces such that keep the original package as installed but replace some file in the package with mine without conflict. This way made me build the package mali-bifrost-wayland-driver a bunch of times whenever conflict happens with other packages but reduce the number of packages that I have to build. I already more than 20 projects to build and package in order to put into Netboot Installer and GNOME desktop. :)
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-polic ... s-provides

By the way, I've tried to run kwin-wayland just now and meet an error, it seems like yet another package is required to build in order to run with EGL, not GL.

root@disco:~# kwin_wayland --xwayland --socket nested
kwin_wayland: relocation error: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libQt5Quick.so.5: symbol _ZN20QOpenGLFunctions_1_014versionProfileEv version Qt_5 not defined in file libQt5Gui.so.5 with link time reference

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

Arch packages have provides and replaces at the package level, not file level.

I've done the first one for mesa-git-mali so far, though it's untested

Ah, hmm.

On this side of things, there is egl-wayland and egl-wayland-git. The former is a binary in the Manjaro extra repo, the latter is build-from-source in the AUR. I haven't looked at those yet.
Last edited by mxmilkb on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

Here is a wayland-mali.

It creates a package, not that I have tested it :)

Horrible ugly PKGBUILDS, they need cleaning up, I borrowed them from chromium-vappi which does a similar repackage-an-existing-package thing. The dependencies are wrong as they for the -git build PKGBUILDs and these are bin PKGBUILDs ;) (n.b. the Arch package naming convention is that -git is from source, but the "mesa-git" package I have been referring to above is actually a binary package in the Manjaro repo to make it easier/quicker for users).

For anyone trying to follow along, I had to run "makepkg -s --skippgpcheck", and later "makepkg -s --skippgpcheck -fcC" because the build doesn't clean it's own temp files.

I'm not going to test any further now as tobetter notes that something else needs doing to get it working.

I have made a date to finally start watching the The Witcher.. :)

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

So I fixed the packages and installed them, and egl-wayland (egl-wayland-git wouldn't build, no error output which was strange but I haven't troubleshooted that yet).

Both Wayland Plasma and Wayland Enlightenment were slow, like around 6fps. Maybe there is indeed something still missing.

The Witcher is fairly good so far.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 am
mxmilkb wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 am

On Arch/Manjaro:

root@disco:~# kwin_wayland --xwayland --socket nested
kwin_wayland: relocation error: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libQt5Quick.so.5: symbol _ZN20QOpenGLFunctions_1_014versionProfileEv version Qt_5 not defined in file libQt5Gui.so.5 with link time reference
I think I found the reason why the missing symbol problem happens and I have to rebuild Qt5 again and play with it for sure. The problem is also can be solved by building QtQuick library with my current Qt5 but I'd like to avoid this since it causes one build job I have to manage. Let me do build Qt5 in this weekend.

By the way, I've seen the face of KDE today with local build QtQuick but it does not look pretty for now and login is not allowed. I suspect that current KDE in Dicso only works on X11, not native Wayland... :(

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:12 pm
I think I found the reason why the missing symbol problem happens and I have to rebuild Qt5 again and play with it for sure. The problem is also can be solved by building QtQuick library with my current Qt5 but I'd like to avoid this since it causes one build job I have to manage. Let me do build Qt5 in this weekend.

By the way, I've seen the face of KDE today with local build QtQuick but it does not look pretty for now and login is not allowed. I suspect that current KDE in Dicso only works on X11, not native Wayland... :(
OK, how do you guys get this to work?

I have an installation of MAnjaro 19.08 on the EMMC and flashed the N2 disco installer from:
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/ODROID-N2/
to a micro SD card known to work.

I used dd to 'burn' the image. Then checked the image and see the preseed.ini with its contents and everything.
So, it looks ok. I didn't make any changes, so it should then install disco dingo to the emmc, I guess. Good enough for me.

I then put the micro SD card into the sd slot of the Odroid N2 and boot up.
Nothing, it just boots Manjaro. I've set the spi-switch to MMC.

Now, petitboot doesn't work with any of my hardware, so that's a no go for me.

I've tried the buster net installer from the above url, using another SD card, and there the screen just stays black.
The blue blinking light goes off though, so I imagine behind the scenes it is booting MAnjaro 19.08 as well.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

odroidn2user wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:27 pm
tobetter wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:12 pm

OK, how do you guys get this to work?

I have an installation of MAnjaro 19.08 on the EMMC and flashed the N2 disco installer from:
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/ODROID-N2/
to a micro SD card known to work.

I used dd to 'burn' the image. Then checked the image and see the preseed.ini with its contents and everything.
So, it looks ok.

I put then the micro SD card into the sd slot of the Odroid N2 and boot up.
Nothing, it just boots Manjaro. I've set the spi-switch to MMC.

Now, petitboot doesn't work with any of my hardware, so that's a no go for me.

I've tried the buster net installer from the above url, using another SD card, and there the screen just stays black.
The blue blinking light goes off though, so I imagine behind the scenes it is booting MAnjaro 19.08 as well.
Are you going to kill Manjaro installled on eMMC? :o
What if you clean up the first 1MB in eMMC to remove U-Boot and start over to boot from uSD? Also, if your Petitboot is broken and if it's not hardware problem, please do recovery update using uSD that will reflash whole SPI memory.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:34 pm
What if you clean up the first 1MB in eMMC to remove U-Boot and start over to boot from uSD? Also, if your Petitboot is broken and if it's not hardware problem, please do recovery update using uSD that will reflash whole SPI memory.
I've removed the eMMC and checked the SD. It then actually loads the SD with the netinst.
So that works.

Update: clearing the beginning of the installed manjaro system om the eMMC did indeed make the netinst SD boot and start.

Petitboot is broken in what hardware support it has. My monitors are not supported, and even when I do see a menu (on the big screen TV), once Manjaro boots (which it doesn't), screens stay black. So it's basically useless for me, even though I like the concept a lot and it obviously works for others.
tobetter wrote:
Are you going to kill Manjaro installled on eMMC? :o
Haha. :) Yeah. Manjaro is awesome, but Manjaro's support for the Odroid... not so much.
Last edited by odroidn2user on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
OK, so the installation completed, had to remove the SD in a timely fashion to prevent installing it for a third time :)

But then, it doesn't boot. The blue light never comes on, it only shows the red led.

I suspect it needs petitboot to boot?
Well, petitboot loads and shows an image on the emmc (NOLABEL) to boot.
I select it, but then, nothing seems to happen, screen stays black.
And we're probably back to petitboot not actually working.

update: OK, interesting results.
The installed system requires Petitboot. It can't boot unless it is booted by Petitboot.
Petitboot doesn't work with my LG FullHD 23" TV Monitor, so after selecting the image to boot, it loads the OS, but just only ever shows a black screen.

However, now my Samsung 20" 1400x1050 monitor *is* supported!
On Hardkernels kernel 4.9 and according to the official Odroid wiki, it shouldn't be supported, but now it actually works.
Interesting plot twists.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

odroidn2user wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:14 am
tobetter wrote:
OK, so the installation completed, had to remove the SD in a timely fashion to prevent installing it for a third time :)

But then, it doesn't boot. The blue light never comes on, it only shows the red led.

I suspect it needs petitboot to boot?
Well, petitboot loads and shows an image on the emmc (NOLABEL) to boot.
I select it, but then, nothing seems to happen, screen stays black.
And we're probably back to petitboot not actually working.

update: OK, interesting results.
The installed system requires Petitboot. It can't boot unless it is booted by Petitboot.
Petitboot doesn't work with my LG FullHD 23" TV Monitor, so after selecting the image to boot, it loads the OS, but just only ever shows a black screen.
That's interesting...why LGTV does not work? You mean after Petitboot.
Then you may need to install U-boot manually, download the U-boot tarball and use the scrip in it. sd_fusing.sh /dev/mmcblk0 from ODROID-N2 or sd_fusing.sh /dev/block/<your/usb/card/reader> from PC will install U-boot to your eMMC.
https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot/re ... droidn2-64
However, now my Samsung 20" 1400x1050 monitor *is* supported!
On Hardkernels kernel 4.9 and according to the official Odroid wiki, it shouldn't be supported, but now it actually works.
Interesting plot twists.
That's interesting. If my understanding is correct 1400x1050 is supported with Ubuntu Disco installed today which has v5.4 kernel not v4.9.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 am
That's interesting. If my understanding is correct 1400x1050 is supported with Ubuntu Disco installed today which has v5.4 kernel not v4.9.
Yeah, 4.9 on 1400x1050 is a no go. But with 5.4 it actually works perfectly fine. Petitboot is squished to fit, but the normal desktop is 1400x1050 looking good.

The gnome desktop really seems to behave. This is looking GOOD.
Last edited by odroidn2user on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

"I think I found the reason why the missing symbol problem happens and I have to rebuild Qt5 again and play with it for sure. The problem is also can be solved by building QtQuick library with my current Qt5 but I'd like to avoid this since it causes one build job I have to manage. Let me do build Qt5 in this weekend."

I'm very ignorant to how Debian/etc does packaging and linking when it comes to large but modular projects like Qt. In the Arch world, there is qt5-wayland.

"I suspect that current KDE in Dicso only works on X11, not native Wayland... :("

I'm 90% sure I was running Wayland. I installed termite-nocsd which was my wayland terminal of choice when running sway, and I could not xprop anything on the screen. I wanted to take a neofetch/inxi screenshot again, but neither Enlightenment nor KDE support the wayland screenshot API that sway has implemented (and is usable with apps like grim). I'm 10% unsure because inxi (iirc), whilst it said was was using a wayland wm, said it was using an X11 display server, though I would not trust the information it reports given how relatively new wayland is.

There is, though, no doubt in my mind that sway is the most advanced and up-to-date wayland compositor existing atm. The majority of KDE and GNOME users are on point release distros, which causes a traffic jam like stop-start wave of the "many eyes on the new software so there is feedback and thus understanding of what to change" aspect of things. But most sway users are on Arch. So I will try sway-git again soon (I used it exclusively for a year and a half until around 9 months ago).

For reference, to get "KDE Plasma (Wayland)" to appear as an option in the display managers DE/WM dropdown menu, I installed the plasma-wayland-session and kwayland-integration packages.

Anyway, the game changer for Manjaro ARM on the N2 will be an official working mainline image. This is from IRC earlier today;

<dodgejcr[m]> I will build a normal image, test it and throw it out for ya
<milkii> dodgejcr[m]: thanks v much :)
<dodgejcr[m]> You are welcome. Not going to promise tonight but in the next few days
m8kbv (Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:17 pm)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 am
That's interesting...why LGTV does not work? You mean after Petitboot.
Then you may need to install U-boot manually, download the U-boot tarball and use the scrip in it. sd_fusing.sh /dev/mmcblk0 from ODROID-N2 or sd_fusing.sh /dev/block/<your/usb/card/reader> from PC will install U-boot to your eMMC.
https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot/re ... droidn2-64
Well, Petitboot itself works (a november dev version).

But on my 23" LG TV, the monitor always stays off after selecting the image to boot.
The menu comes up, it finds the availablle installations (always saying noname), I select one.
Then the screen turns black and the image starts booting. However, nothing on screen.
The screen stays black, but the monitor/tv stays on. It doesn't go to sleep.

I'll give the missing u-boot / u-boot installation route an investigation.
That might explain why your netinst installation doesn't boot naturally (SPI-switch to eMMC) but does boot from petitboot.

More in the topic here: Projects - Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer
Last edited by odroidn2user on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

mxmilkb wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:34 am
"I suspect that current KDE in Dicso only works on X11, not native Wayland... :("
My understanding was (and I could well be wrong) that the most important component to support Wayland was the compositor / window manager.

And Kwin has a Wayland package for ubuntu for disco:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/kwin-wayland

Kwin does wayland and KDE apps do Kwin, so then for the majority of the KDE environment you are done??

Sav

Post by Sav »

According to this arch wiki, there is no official support for wayland in KDE. But I could be wrong.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland

mxmilkb

Post by mxmilkb »

boom - https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/s ... imal/20.01 - I'm still downloading.

<dodgejcr[m]> only made a minimal but there is a chance the ON2 will see more images soon. I did test that image flashed using etcher on an eMMC. Worked like a charm
Sav wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 pm
According to this arch wiki, there is no official support for wayland in KDE. But I could be wrong.
but the wiki article says "It is supported on some desktop environments like GNOME and KDE." with further KDE mentions later in the page.
These users thanked the author mxmilkb for the post (total 2):
m8kbv (Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 pm) • odroidn2user (Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:12 pm)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

mxmilkb wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:00 pm
boom - https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/s ... imal/20.01 - I'm still downloading.
<dodgejcr[m]> only made a minimal but there is a chance the ON2 will see more images soon. I did test that image flashed using etcher on an eMMC. Worked like a charm
Wow! Good work mxmilkb!
mxmilkb wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:00 pm
Sav wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 pm
but the wiki article says "It is supported on some desktop environments like GNOME and KDE." with further KDE mentions later in the page.
Yeah, youtube video's seems to suggest it both exists and works, though there are open issues remaining. So even if KDE does Wayland, would you want to use it?
That said, Gnome with the right extensions (gnome tweaks, dash to panel, etc) does work good as well, and Gnome's Wayland support does seem better.

Return to “Other OS”