"Tons of issues undocumented"

Kokos
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"Tons of issues undocumented"

Post by Kokos »

Hi!

I am looking for a reliable, powerful and energy-saving web server solution and now I am looking at ODROID-N2+ closer. When I was reading documentation for software running on it I noticed this:
Known issues and Tips:
Tons of issues undocumented. :-x
Can anybody please explain what this exactly means?

And maybe one more question. I'm not a big fan of prebuild OS images with SSH keys or passwords already set, for security reasons I'd rather to download minimal image directly from Ubuntu and apply all required patches, configuration and software manually. Is there any guide for this or at least brief checklist what is recommended to apply?

Thanks!

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: "Tons of issues undocumented"

Post by tobetter »

Kokos wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:26 pm
Hi!

I am looking for a reliable, powerful and energy-saving web server solution and now I am looking at ODROID-N2+ closer. When I was reading documentation for software running on it I noticed this:
Known issues and Tips:
Tons of issues undocumented. :-x
Can anybody please explain what this exactly means?
That's a kind of expression that all issues are not documented. The issues are from OS itself or not meet the requirements, and they are not all discovered. ODROID-N2/N2Plus is a couple of years old already and many critical issues are resolved from time to time.
And maybe one more question. I'm not a big fan of prebuild OS images with SSH keys or passwords already set, for security reasons I'd rather to download minimal image directly from Ubuntu and apply all required patches, configuration and software manually. Is there any guide for this or at least brief checklist what is recommended to apply?

Thanks!
If you dislike the way of flashing prebuilt image, Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer from Petitboot is your friend. It will help you to install Debian/Ubuntu to a target storage attached to ODROID-N2/N2Plus - eMMC/SD/USB - through the network, up-to-date packages will be installed right away and security elements will be renewed whenever you make an installation. The video in the link is for ODROID-HC4, but the instructions are identical.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugDcoqfb4Xw&t=85s[/youtube]

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:08 pm
The issues are from OS itself or not meet the requirements, and they are not all discovered.
I see, thanks. Maybe it should be changed to 'No issues known at the moment' to not confuse anybody. :-)
Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer from Petitboot is your friend.
This is great and thank you for that, but this is not my main concern. On the video you clearly used some odroid-modified image (not sure what's the source) as the logon screen states that. I rather plan to use official ubuntu-22.04-live-server-arm64 image, so question is what's needed to be applied on Ubuntu vanilla operating system to have N2+ hardware fully supported, which probably means some kernel patches, maybe additional packages (like for display support in your video), maybe some additional configuration.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Kokos wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:09 pm
Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer from Petitboot is your friend.
This is great and thank you for that, but this is not my main concern. On the video you clearly used some odroid-modified image (not sure what's the source) as the logon screen states that.
If you mean the login screen in blue color , it's Netboot Installer and it's not an OS to run. The Netboot Installer is customized from Debian one to help installing Debian/Ubuntu OS through the network. It installs the most packages from Debian/Ubuntu official repository, custom packages for Linux kernel or extra configurations for ODROID are from my personal package server - http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr.
I rather plan to use official ubuntu-22.04-live-server-arm64 image, so question is what's needed to be applied on Ubuntu vanilla operating system to have N2+ hardware fully supported, which probably means some kernel patches, maybe additional packages (like for display support in your video), maybe some additional configuration.
The current kernel version with Ubuntu 22.04 would be 5.15 and it would work great since it contains the device tree files for ODROID-N2/N2Plus already.

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:25 pm
If you mean the login screen in blue color , it's Netboot Installer and it's not an OS to run.
I mean this:

I think it's unlikely all those odroid kernel or splash messages or information on odroid launchpad are coming right after fresh Debian installation or am I wrong? :-)
The current kernel version with Ubuntu 22.04 would be 5.15 and it would work great since it contains the device tree files for ODROID-N2/N2Plus already.
Good news, so I guess I can start using N2+ right after vanilla Ubuntu installation and it will perform as it should out of the box.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Kokos wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:41 pm
tobetter wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:25 pm
If you mean the login screen in blue color , it's Netboot Installer and it's not an OS to run.
I mean this:

I think it's unlikely all those odroid kernel or splash messages or information on odroid launchpad are coming right after fresh Debian installation or am I wrong? :-)
Good news, so I guess I can start using N2+ right after vanilla Ubuntu installation and it will perform as it should out of the box.
Ok, that's from one of my packages after installing Debian/Ubuntu OS for ODROIDs. I wish you luck with the vanilla Ubuntu Installation that I never tried to ODROID-N2Plus.

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Thanks. Yeah, so I guess video has not all steps shown. :-) Can you tell what you've exactly applied in the meantime?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Kokos wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:58 pm
Thanks. Yeah, so I guess video has not all steps shown. :-) Can you tell what you've exactly applied in the meantime?
The video introduce the all steps to installation using Netboot Installer, not showing how it is achieved. I've managed custom Linux kernel with new configuration and boot script, kernel command lines and a couple of upstream libraries.

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:05 pm
I've managed custom Linux kernel with new configuration and boot script, kernel command lines and a couple of upstream libraries.
But I assume from what you've said it's rather not needed any more because all should be in current distros kernel releases, right?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Kokos wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:09 pm
tobetter wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:05 pm
I've managed custom Linux kernel with new configuration and boot script, kernel command lines and a couple of upstream libraries.
But I assume from what you've said it's rather not needed any more because all should be in current distros kernel releases, right?
I was saying more than kernel and to run a custom Debian/Ubuntu OS for ODROID users whenever they request, vanilla Ubuntu would only have genuine upstream kernel with the changes from Canonical.

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Now I'm lost. :D Is there anybody who can tell me what exactly to do (install/configure) after vanilla installation of official Ubuntu or even Debian images to have N2+ hardware completely supported and fully operational by the operating system or confirm nothing more than vanilla installation is needed?

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1

Post by mctom »

That's the whole point of the image provided by Hardkernel - to ensure the best hardware support out there, because it's made with this exact purpose in mind.

The old habits from x64 world do not apply to ARM computers - you can't just install "some ARM compatible OS" and expect everything to work.
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

I agree, but in open source world I should be also able to apply hardware provider custom modifications by myself, this is why I ask what would it be exactly.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Kokos wrote:I agree, but in open source world I should be also able to apply hardware provider custom modifications by myself, this is why I ask what would it be exactly.
There is no set of patches you can apply to a vanilla kernel to my knowledge, this seems to be what you want.

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1

Post by mctom »

But there are build instructions for a HK kernel, and obviously the source code is available, so it's always possible to review these 20k commits if someone really wants to. ;)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

Return to “Ubuntu”