Display overscan can't be set

bk_XU_AZ
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, U3, XU4, C1+, H2, N2

Display overscan can't be set

Post by bk_XU_AZ »

I have tried editing both config.ini and boot.ini, but my overscan setting seems to be disregarded. (I made both files the same regarding autodetect and overscan, and left everything else alone.) It started at the default of 100%, and I have lowered it to 80%, but there's no discernible difference. The toolbar is docked to the left side, and it's only about 25% visible (the left 75% of it is hidden). My mouse cursor goes off-screen and I have to move it significantly to get it back on the screen. (I estimate that the visible area is about 1800 instead of 1920, if that helps.)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Display overscan can't be set

Post by odroid »

Which OS image and Kernel version did you test?

bk_XU_AZ

Post by bk_XU_AZ »

I have Mate 20.04.2, kernel 4.9.241-114. I think there's a newer kernel, but I don't know how to update it or whether it will make any difference.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

You don't need to update the system.
We will test the overscan functionality the day after tomorrow because tomorrow is our national holiday and it is already evening(19:00) here.

bk_XU_AZ

Post by bk_XU_AZ »

Enjoy your rest- and thanks, as always, odroid.

I should add that it worked beautifully with my 1080p monitor. It has problems when I am using it with the 1080p 60Hz TV.

bk_XU_AZ

Post by bk_XU_AZ »

Any news by now?

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

Sorry for the delay.
We will get back to you soon.

Edit: overscan option in config.ini didn't work for me either.

I've tested the following commands with root access and it seems to be working partially.

Code: Select all

root@odroid:~# cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/window_axis
0 0 1920 1080
root@odroid:~# echo 100 100 1919 1079 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/window_axis
root@odroid:~# echo 0x10001 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale

Edit 2: Please try this script. You don't need to change config.ini file.

Code: Select all

root@odroid:~# cat disp.sh 
#!/bin/bash

X=1920
        Y=1080                                                                                                 
        FRAME_SIZE=32                                                                                          
        M="0 0 $(($X - 1)) $(($Y - 1))"                                                                        
        Y_VIRT=$(($Y * 2))                                                                                     
        bpp=32                                                                                                 
        fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -g $X $Y $X $Y_VIRT $bpp                                                            
        echo $mode > /sys/class/display/mode                                                                   
        echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale                                                            
        echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/freescale_mode                                                        
        echo $M > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale_axis                                                      
        # change for override with a frame of 50 pixel                                                         
        # echo $M > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/window_axis                                                        
        echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/free_scale                                                            
        echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/freescale_mode                                                        
        NEW_M="$FRAME_SIZE $FRAME_SIZE $(($X - 1 -$FRAME_SIZE)) $(($Y - 1 - $FRAME_SIZE))"                     
        echo $NEW_M > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/window_axis                                                      
        echo 0x10001 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale
That script is a slightly modified version from this topic. viewtopic.php?p=238232#p238232

bk_XU_AZ

Post by bk_XU_AZ »

Sorry it took so long to check back and see your post, odroid. I will try this over the weekend and get back to you. Thanks!

bk_XU_AZ

Post by bk_XU_AZ »

This apparently zooms the display, and causes the desktop and windows to look like parallelograms. The desktop left edge goes from the upper left corner to about 500px away from the left at the bottom, and the right bottom wraps to the left side. I hope that makes sense. I can snap a photo (not a grab) and attach it. I am using a different display (not the TV now). If you need me to, I can move to the TV (that is the problematic display) and try again.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

We tested the script with a generic 1080p monitor and it looked fine with a few different values of FRAME_SIZE.
Can you take a couple of pictures to understand your display situation?

Return to “Ubuntu”