ODROID-N2

Different234
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:30 am
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: u2, xu3, xu4 +chalk 7, vim
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by Different234 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:54 pm

hi what about deep sleep support especially needed by carpc installations

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 6365
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:03 pm

P/S,
We will check the memory performance more carefully in the next week because RK3399 slow memory issue seems to be solved with a couple of patches in the Kernel.
We've not played with the N1 Kernel since we dropped it several months ago.
I guess the memory bandwidth difference may be negligible not 35% if we apply the patches.
Can we expect some patches for N1 if you can speed up memory? :D
That would mean that DDR3 is as fast as DDR4?

back2future
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:19 pm
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by back2future » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:08 pm

[ This thread is at ~235 accesses per hour, after ~55hours online. ]

Edit 02/17/2019
crashoverride wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:41 am
mad_ady wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:03 pm
Can we expect some patches for N1 if you can speed up memory? :D
That would mean that DDR3 is as fast as DDR4?
The issue does not appear to be related at all to the actual memory performance despite the claim of a "memory benchmark". The increased performance is due to lowering the kernel 'tick' interval from 1Khz to 250Hz. This allows for more task execution time before a context switch occurs. Fewer context switches per second means the task state does not need to be saved and restored as frequently. Since the 'benchmark' execution is not interrupted as much, it results in better scores.

References:
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux- ... 907ea9eba5
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/blo ... onfig#L408
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/blo ... onfig#L407
It would be somewhat into future designs and not N2 (big.Little), but are new SoC architectural concepts like "Prime Core"¹ (e.g. 1+3+4) head of "dynamIQ" (e.g. 4+2), 'successors' of "big-Little(N1)"² (4+4,2+4,4+2, 2+2?) or rare (2+4+4) configured with one unified kernel 'tick' setting for all cores? While rereading preemption (no, voluntary, full) seemed to impact on other discussions and Arch changed it's tick default from 1000 (closer to real time) to 300 (what they did not recommend previously). Compared to H2(2.4Ghz) or N1(2Ghz,1.5Ghz), N2(1.8Ghz,1.9Ghz) has lower (default) top cpu frequencies. Settings can affect special preferred use cases a lot, but lower tick's seem to get more common with lower top cpu frequencies for common desktop os's?
Benchmarking (across SoC?&mem's, cpu&gpu&npu&dsp&?&&mem's or even system_platforms&peripherals) without use case needs pretty much definition work for comparability?
Anyway, thanks for

[1) Qualcomm S855
2) https://community.arm.com/processors/b/ ... of-dynamiq ]
Last edited by back2future on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
venkatbo
Posts: 526
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:10 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C0/C1+/C2; U3+; XU3-Lite/XU4; H2; VU/VU7+; Touchscreen Show TFT Cloudshell SmartPower mAHRS DAC GPS Multiscope Ocam
Location: Bay Area, California
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by venkatbo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 pm

Is there any plan to create minimalistic (reduced ports) stackable versions of the N2 (like the MC1/solo's)? May make for good "farms".

Nuems
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:50 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: xu, c1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by Nuems » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:13 am

Gburas wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:47 pm
@odroid how it is with " 1 x optional SPDIF optical output", will this be different version of board or You mean external USB DAC
memeka wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:01 pm
It’s GPIOs check schematics
In this one case I have to disagree with @memeka: How could GPIO 7 possibly be an optical SPDIF output? Looks pretty electrical...

User avatar
OverSun
Posts: 1484
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:12 pm
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by OverSun » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:43 am

Nuems wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:13 am
In this one case I have to disagree with @memeka: How could GPIO 7 possibly be an optical SPDIF output? Looks pretty electrical...
It's usual thing. SPDIF optical transmitter (TOTX from toshiba for example, basically it's just a jack for a cable), takes three inputs - voltage, ground and signal (that GPIO one), and emits light to the cable. Technically it's a lightbulb that flickers according to the signal from the GPIO going on and off.
Uncomfortable things with that are that you have to buy that jack, which should cost less than scraps, but noone really sells them anywhere, and even if somone do, they charge ridiculous 5 euros or more per piece, so you have to order them from china 10 pieces at once for a dollar; and second thing is that you solder it with three wires, which in the end look like decent creation of mad orc engineer. Never managed to find a good addon board that doesn't include anything than SPDIF jack and hooks to voltage, ground and signal neatly.

Nuems
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:50 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: xu, c1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by Nuems » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:51 am

Alright, but as SPDIF can also be electrical, I hope the optical transmitter isn't necessary in the first place.

User avatar
memeka
Posts: 4321
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by memeka » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:11 am

If you can see it, it’s an optical gpio then :))

Nuems
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:50 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: xu, c1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by Nuems » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:24 am

:lol:

User avatar
cdu13a
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:33 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1, N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by cdu13a » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:51 am

Nuems wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:51 am
Alright, but as SPDIF can also be electrical, I hope the optical transmitter isn't necessary in the first place.
You should be able to to use either an optical or electrical adapter. However optical is much easier to implement yourself as a diy project. As OverSun pointed out above.
For an RCA out it is slightly more complicated as you will need to build or buy a transmitter do it that way. It's not just a matter of sticking an RCA connector on the S/PDIF Out GPIO pin.
The S/PDIF out GPIO pin can not/should not be used to directly drive a S/PDIF rca cable.
Last edited by cdu13a on Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

indium
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 2:27 pm
languages_spoken: english, ukrainian
Location: Ukraine
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by indium » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:52 am

I am wondering how people willing to develop for an Amlogic based platform can do that if there is no TRM available. Am I missing something? Is there Amlogic TRMs available?

buffalodropkick
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:01 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2 XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by buffalodropkick » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Count me in for one (or more)

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by tobetter » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:37 pm

indium wrote:I am wondering how people willing to develop for an Amlogic based platform can do that if there is no TRM available. Am I missing something? Is there Amlogic TRMs available?
HK released the docs and materials as much as we can for ODROID-C1 and ODROID-C2, and we will continue to do the same for ODROID-N2. HK team also had developed with the resources from AMLoigc based on Android source and modify them to be used generally like Ubuntu. We do help developers if they have to understand or contact to AMLogic instead of them.

TRM for ODROID-N2, specifically for S922X is not ready waiting for the public version from AMLogic and it will be uploaded to the download page if ready.

Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID.


Nuems
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:50 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: xu, c1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by Nuems » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:45 pm

cdu13a wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:51 am
Nuems wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:51 am
Alright, but as SPDIF can also be electrical, I hope the optical transmitter isn't necessary in the first place.
You should be able to to use either an optical or electrical adapter. However optical is much easier to implement yourself as a diy project. As OverSun pointed out above.
For an RCA out it is slightly more complicated as you will need to build or buy a transmitter do it that way. It's not just a matter of sticking an RCA connector on the S/PDIF Out GPIO pin.
The S/PDIF out GPIO pin can not/should not be used to directly drive a S/PDIF rca cable.
Thanks, I didn't know that and so I would have been prone to make exactly that mistake.

Edit: If the optical transmitters are tricky to get in small numbers (as @OverSun has pointed out), it would be nice if Hardkernel sold them as N2 accessories.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by tobetter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:33 am

I don't know why...suddenly I had a storm of ideas of building ODROID-N2 encloser and how they can be stacked. I kept thinking about already but hadn't a good idea, finally had a better idea I can manage last night. So I spent the whole night to draw **them** and build with my 3D printer. ATM, I only successfully print out the parts that can help to stack ODROID-N2 bodies.
Please visit the link for detail, but please do not if you are a mechanical expert. :lol:
https://medium.com/@tobetter/lets-stack ... 7fd01457ae
Image

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by rooted » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 am

I think with the heatsink design they would be better if positioned vertical for better heat extraction.

Although the current design is excellent

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by tobetter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 am

rooted wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 am
I think with the heatsink design they would be better if positioned vertical for better heat extraction.
I agree. I have not figured out how ODROID-N2 boards can be easily arrayed in that way. Maybe another mechanical expert will solve out? :)

hominoid
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:55 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, MC1, N1, N2
Location: Lake Superior Basin, USA
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by hominoid » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:33 am

tobetter wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 am
rooted wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 am
I think with the heatsink design they would be better if positioned vertical for better heat extraction.
I agree. I have not figured out how ODROID-N2 boards can be easily arrayed in that way. Maybe another mechanical expert will solve out? :)
Send me 3 or 4 and I will pretend to be an expert and work on it. :lol:

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by rooted » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:37 am

hominoid wrote:
tobetter wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 am
rooted wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 am
I think with the heatsink design they would be better if positioned vertical for better heat extraction.
I agree. I have not figured out how ODROID-N2 boards can be easily arrayed in that way. Maybe another mechanical expert will solve out? :)
Send me 3 or 4 and I will pretend to be an expert and work on it. Image
One would suffice, then you could 3D print it and use the prints for fitment ;)

hallopeter
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:31 pm
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: odroid c2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by hallopeter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:47 am

I read somewhere that the H2 was supposed to be able to use just regular linux distributions, like fedora etc, without these having to be modified for the sbc.

Does this apply to the N2 as well? Is it possible to just take some random Linux Version and use it on the odroid like you would use with a regular computer?

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by rooted » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:57 am

hallopeter wrote:I read somewhere that the H2 was supposed to be able to use just regular linux distributions, like fedora etc, without these having to be modified for the sbc.

Does this apply to the N2 as well? Is it possible to just take some random Linux Version and use it on the odroid like you would use with a regular computer?
Yes the H2 is running X64, same as a normal PC.

No the N2 is ARM, it can only run an ARM based OS.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by tobetter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:01 am

hallopeter wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:47 am
I read somewhere that the H2 was supposed to be able to use just regular linux distributions, like fedora etc, without these having to be modified for the sbc.

Does this apply to the N2 as well? Is it possible to just take some random Linux Version and use it on the odroid like you would use with a regular computer?
No, N2 is kind of new SoC and it's not being merged into Linux mainline branch yet. I understand that Baylibre is doing the work but not for ODROID-N2 and would be not fully functional on ODROID-N2 yet. Only supported Linux kernel for ODROID-N2 is 4.9 and Hardkernel Linux Git branch is rebased with 4.9.156 and will keep rebasing with LTS kernel.

elatllat
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 27 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by elatllat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:21 am

hallopeter wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:47 am
Is it possible to just take some random Linux Version and use it on the odroid like you would use with a regular computer?
On any arm64 Linux distribution (fedora, debian, arch, etc) swap the kernel and it should be fine. (Worked on the N1 anyway)

campbell
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:13 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2, C2, C1+, XU4, XU3, Cloudshell, Smart Power
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by campbell » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:31 am

elatllat wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:21 am
hallopeter wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:47 am
Is it possible to just take some random Linux Version and use it on the odroid like you would use with a regular computer?
On any arm64 Linux distribution (fedora, debian, arch, etc) swap the kernel and it should be fine. (Worked on the N1 anyway)
Yeah, I've had the generic Arch Linux ARMv7 image working on industrial boards by grabbing the manufacturer's kernel, dtb, and /lib/modules and merging them with the Arch userland. You just have to go into pacman.conf and tell it not to try to "update" the kernel later.

joerg
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:14 am
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by joerg » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:03 am

Nuems wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:45 pm
Edit: If the optical transmitters are tricky to get in small numbers (as @OverSun has pointed out), it would be nice if Hardkernel sold them as N2 accessories.
I found this PLT133 optical transmitter I posted time ago for the C2 in Ebay Germany. As it is coming from China, maybe it is also available in other countries.
viewtopic.php?f=139&t=21477#p143224

m4f2g
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 am
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: 2 [XU4] modified,
HominoidSplit Air Case + freefloating OGST-n64 Front Panel

VU7a+ as "mobile"screen in ameridroid vu7 tablet
Location: Baden, Germany
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by m4f2g » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:12 am

I want have one of theese...
But without SATA-Connector??? A cost-reduction-solution?

brad
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by brad » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:06 am

tobetter wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:37 pm

TRM for ODROID-N2, specifically for S922X is not ready waiting for the public version from AMLogic and it will be uploaded to the download page if ready.
Hi tobetter,
are you able to provide any further details on the pinmux functions of the S922X? I notice it has both AO domain and EE domain pins exposed on the 40pin and also a pinout for a 7 pin header.

I understand if I need to wait for the datasheet but its worth asking.

I already like it has many PWM's and and hardware SPI interface :)

Thanks,
Brad.

elatllat
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 27 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by elatllat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:21 am

m4f2g wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:12 am
...SATA...
Cost and power reduction. There was only limitations and no real quantitative advantage of the SATA on the N1 as I recall.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by tobetter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:28 am

brad wrote:
tobetter wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:37 pm

TRM for ODROID-N2, specifically for S922X is not ready waiting for the public version from AMLogic and it will be uploaded to the download page if ready.
Hi tobetter,
are you able to provide any further details on the pinmux functions of the S922X? I notice it has both AO domain and EE domain pins exposed on the 40pin and also a pinout for a 7 pin header.

I understand if I need to wait for the datasheet but its worth asking.

I already like it has many PWM's and and hardware SPI interface :)

Thanks,
Brad.
Hi Brad,

Are you only interesting about them ATM? Let me check how I can share but since doc itself wouldn't be shared. So maybe capture a part of them or provide you the detail if your specify what you want to know? :)

Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID.


brad
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by brad » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:00 am

tobetter wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:28 am
]Hi Brad,

Are you only interesting about them ATM? Let me check how I can share but since doc itself wouldn't be shared. So maybe capture a part of them or provide you the detail if your specify what you want to know? :)

Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID.
Hi tobetter,

I was interested to know if audio input (I2S/PCM/DMIC) might be possible in the future, or any extra audio interfaces on the pins besides the SPDIF.
Thanks, Brad.

mix
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:40 pm
languages_spoken: English
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by mix » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:20 am

Thank you for using a 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC power jack!

crashoverride
Posts: 4491
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:42 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 62 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by crashoverride » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:41 am

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:03 pm
Can we expect some patches for N1 if you can speed up memory? :D
That would mean that DDR3 is as fast as DDR4?
The issue does not appear to be related at all to the actual memory performance despite the claim of a "memory benchmark". The increased performance is due to lowering the kernel 'tick' interval from 1Khz to 250Hz. This allows for more task execution time before a context switch occurs. Fewer context switches per second means the task state does not need to be saved and restored as frequently. Since the 'benchmark' execution is not interrupted as much, it results in better scores.

References:
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux- ... 907ea9eba5
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/blo ... onfig#L408
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/blo ... onfig#L407

brad
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by brad » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:40 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:41 am
The issue does not appear to be related at all to the actual memory performance despite the claim of a "memory benchmark". The increased performance is due to lowering the kernel 'tick' interval from 1Khz to 250Hz. This allows for more task execution time before a context switch occurs. Fewer context switches per second means the task state does not need to be saved and restored as frequently. Since the 'benchmark' execution is not interrupted as much, it results in better scores.
I agree with you crashoverride, i'm currently trying to apply realtime 4.9-rt patches to N2 kernel source and it is very interesting to see how multiple cpu types might work with the kernel ticks. It will be interesting to see how tick time impacts performance of various workloads on this board.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by tobetter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:48 pm

brad wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:00 am
tobetter wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:28 am
]Hi Brad,

Are you only interesting about them ATM? Let me check how I can share but since doc itself wouldn't be shared. So maybe capture a part of them or provide you the detail if your specify what you want to know? :)

Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID.
Hi tobetter,

I was interested to know if audio input (I2S/PCM/DMIC) might be possible in the future, or any extra audio interfaces on the pins besides the SPDIF.
Thanks, Brad.
Brad,
Actually, there is PCM interface on the 7-pin header same as ODROID-C2 and have been tested with ODROID HiFi Shield2. But we dropped not to add 2.5mm pin header due to fewer use cases plus a little bit of cost down since ODROID-N2 has two different audio output interface - HDMI and 3.5" audio jack.
Please look into this patch.
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/com ... b278a2ad35

brad
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by brad » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 pm

tobetter wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:48 pm
Brad,
Actually, there is PCM interface on the 7-pin header same as ODROID-C2 and have been tested with ODROID HiFi Shield2. But we dropped not to add 2.5mm pin header due to fewer use cases plus a little bit of cost down since ODROID-N2 has two different audio output interface - HDMI and 3.5" audio jack.
Please look into this patch.
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/com ... b278a2ad35
Thanks this is great news and I will look further at the code, I don't mind for the physical 7 pin 2.5mm header :)

hallopeter
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:31 pm
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: odroid c2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by hallopeter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:42 pm

rooted wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:57 am
hallopeter wrote:I read somewhere that the H2 was supposed to be able to use just regular linux distributions, like fedora etc, without these having to be modified for the sbc.

Does this apply to the N2 as well? Is it possible to just take some random Linux Version and use it on the odroid like you would use with a regular computer?
Yes the H2 is running X64, same as a normal PC.

No the N2 is ARM, it can only run an ARM based OS.
Thank you for this answer. Can you or someone else please point out the pros and contras of each system, H2 and N2? I think that being independent with linux distros is a huge plus for the H2, especially for linux newbies who dont have to google for solutions that are platform specific. but i would probably buy the N2 anyway if the N2 were more powerful or had some other advantages.

User avatar
DanielBull
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:44 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid W, Odroid XU3Lite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by DanielBull » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:44 pm

Basically its the difference between ARM and x86.
ARM is lower power consumption, more efficient, lower cost and more compact whereas x86 is more compatible with more expansion such as PCI and RAM slots.

With reference to Linux, its available compiled for both x86 and ARM. The difference is all x86 machines have the same compatible BIOS/bootup procedure so you can simply download an off the shelf Linux distribution and use it. With ARM there's no BIOS standard (yet) so the bootloader has to be tailored specifically for the SoC used. This means although the N2 runs pretty much standard Linux its easier to download the Hard Kernel supplied versions which have the bootloader already set up (otherwise you would have to graft it in yourself). Once Linux is running the user experience between ARM and x86 is pertty much identical unless you were to try and use closed source software which is only available compiled for x86 which you can't easily do.

The second biggest difference between the H2 and the N2 for most is likely to be cost. The price of the H2 + RAM is considerably more than an N2.

Which you get depends on your requirements...
If you are making anything with batteries ARM is the way to go. If you want to run Android ARM is the way to go. If you want to learn about something a bit different to a PC ARM is the way to go.
On the flipside if you want a small PC that can do everything a PC can do, then x86 is the way to go.

hallopeter
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:31 pm
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: odroid c2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by hallopeter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 am

Thanks vor your very informative und helpful reply. And both machines have similar Speed or does one have noticeably more Power then the other?

User avatar
DanielBull
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:44 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid W, Odroid XU3Lite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by DanielBull » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:26 am

I think the processing speed will likely depend on the task, but the H2 has support for NVMe SSD storage which is way faster than the N2's eMMC, and the H2 also has up to 32GB RAM whereas the N2 is fixed at 4GB of RAM. So in a desktop Linux situation the H2 has the potential to be vasty faster if fitted with a high quality SSD and decent RAM.

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by rooted » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 am

Looking at raw CPU performance it seems the H2 is about 35% to 40% more powerful.

enginekun
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:33 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by enginekun » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:37 am

Can anyone confirm what is the usage of 7 through holes besides DDR4 RAM chip ?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:05 am

enginekun wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:37 am
Can anyone confirm what is the usage of 7 through holes besides DDR4 RAM chip ?
viewtopic.php?f=176&t=33781#p246337

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by rooted » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:27 am

Is the DIO2133 wired as 3.3v or 5v?

If 3.3v we get 2v output on the line out, if 5v we get 3v line out.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:50 am

rooted wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:27 am
Is the DIO2133 wired as 3.3v or 5v?

If 3.3v we get 2v output on the line out, if 5v we get 3v line out.
Do you mean an audio driver for audio jack? Just curious why it's DIO2133?

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by rooted » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:08 am

tobetter wrote:
rooted wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:27 am
Is the DIO2133 wired as 3.3v or 5v?

If 3.3v we get 2v output on the line out, if 5v we get 3v line out.
Do you mean an audio driver for audio jack? Just curious why it's DIO2133?
Yes the driver to the audio jack, it's DIO2133 because that's what the block diagram says?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:17 am

rooted wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:08 am
tobetter wrote:
rooted wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:27 am
Is the DIO2133 wired as 3.3v or 5v?

If 3.3v we get 2v output on the line out, if 5v we get 3v line out.
Do you mean an audio driver for audio jack? Just curious why it's DIO2133?
Yes the driver to the audio jack, it's DIO2133 because that's what the block diagram says?
:mrgreen: You made me an idiot....it's connected to 5V.

User avatar
rooted
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
languages_spoken: english
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by rooted » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:01 am

tobetter wrote:
rooted wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:08 am
tobetter wrote:
rooted wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:27 am
Is the DIO2133 wired as 3.3v or 5v?

If 3.3v we get 2v output on the line out, if 5v we get 3v line out.
Do you mean an audio driver for audio jack? Just curious why it's DIO2133?
Yes the driver to the audio jack, it's DIO2133 because that's what the block diagram says?
:mrgreen: You made me an idiot....it's connected to 5V.
It happens, the older we get the more we forget :) ;)

m4f2g
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 am
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: 2 [XU4] modified,
HominoidSplit Air Case + freefloating OGST-n64 Front Panel

VU7a+ as "mobile"screen in ameridroid vu7 tablet
Location: Baden, Germany
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by m4f2g » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:49 am

elatllat wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:21 am
(...)
Cost and power reduction. There was only limitations and no real quantitative advantage of the SATA on the N1 as I recall.
Very tiny weak Two amps 12 V power supply... i would not use anything with 4 Amps at least.
Beside that, just one sata 300mbit connector is elementary... the usb 3 solution for an ssd or hdd which is used default systemdrive is not useful... [ attachment=0]usb3.0-sata-bridge-plus-메인b.jpg[/attachment] after few weeks the red marked part flies off if you use an open construction solution on your desk without screws and fixation. Using just a native sata connection and an external electric source.

harry4516
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:35 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: N2, C1, C2, U3, XU3, XU4Q, Raspi2B, Raspi2, Raspi3B, BananaPI, BananaPro, HiKey(-junk). Best of all: N2 !
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by harry4516 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 am

m4f2g wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:12 am
I want have one of theese...
But without SATA-Connector??? A cost-reduction-solution?
I'm running all my C2 and XU3/XU4 with SSDs over USB and never had any issue.
The advantage of the SSD over SD or eMMC is enormous, I will never ever use SD cards (except for booting).
So, SATA would be nice, but I don't really miss it. For moving huge amounts of data I would use an X86 PC anyway and not an ARM SBC.

neal
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:02 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: ODROID-N2

Unread post by neal » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm

The old Smart Power can't generate higher than 5.3Volt.
But new Smart Power 2 can do it if you replace one resistor.
We will make a guide soon.
I think you can replace a few resistors on the smart power to make it output 12V. They used it for HC2. Not sure if it's documented though
Does hardkernel have a recommended alternative to the Smart Power that can do the >7.5 volts needed by this board?
This wiki has a guide on how to make 12V output with SmartPower2.
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/power ... er2_12vout

Locked

Return to “General Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests