[SOLVED] Second N2L that doesn't boot

Julian0
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2L

[SOLVED] Second N2L that doesn't boot

Post by Julian0 »

Hi all,

Just received my replacement N2L, kindly sent from the Hard Kernel folk after the last one proved to not power on. This new RMA'd N2L however also fails to power on. I am using the official and recommended plug bought from Hard Kernel for the N2L, and have a 64G MicroSD flashed with the recommended ISO 'ubuntu-22.04-4.9-mate-odroid-n2-20220629.img'. Mounting the card on my Debian GNU/Linux laptop shows properly formed boot and system partitions on the card. Power is measured with a voltmeter coming into the board center pin hot at 12.1v, the source at 2A AC/DC. The board is slightly warm when powered, read with my infrared gun at 28.9C.

There is no fan activity, no LED activity.

Starting to wonder if there's something I'm missing here, a jumper to set, etc.

This is a photo of the board supplied with power, measured at the underside of the socket at 12.1V:

signal-2024-03-30-141725.jpeg
signal-2024-03-30-141725.jpeg (275.61 KiB) Viewed 399 times

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polski
ODROIDs: XU4, M1, H3+, SP3, N2L, M1S, N2

Re: Second N2L that doesn't boot

Post by mctom »

In my previous job a technician ruined a prototype with conductive dust. Apparently he worked with aluminum in the same area.
The question is what ESD precautions do you observe. Historically ESD has been discovered as an issue when a single factory worker damaged all devices that went through their hands.
SBCs are system components and not consumer product, so the usual lack of protection won't do.

I wonder what happened to the last one you had.
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!
OpenUPS
PiStackMon

Julian0

Post by Julian0 »

The last one I had had a chipped inductor, it came out of the box like that. The current one had been out of the box approximately 15 minutes at the time of taking the above photograph. Dust is not an issue. The device itself came out of the box dust free and clean. I have worked with embedded computing for a little over 15 years, and so am well aware of the impact of conductive particulates, dust and static in my work environment.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, N2L, H2, H3+, Go, Go Advance, M1, M1S

Post by mad_ady »

It's normal for the fan not to start on boot. Do you get any red/blue leds? Red led (sadly) turns on after bootloader starts (unlike other boards), so if you don't see it, it means the bootloader couldn't start.

You could try a different sd card.
Edit: I just noticed. You flashed an image for N2, not N2L, so bootloader won't start!
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post (total 2):
Julian0 (Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:13 pm) • odroid (Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:43 pm)

Julian0

Post by Julian0 »

Good catch, I read now that there are DDR memory differences and so the images are not cross compatible. Trying the new image now!

Julian0

Post by Julian0 »

That did the trick, thank you! I am not clear where I misunderstood that the images were compatible. On seeing no LED on power and no fan twitch I worried something on the hardware side must be awry. Excited to get started with programming for this target.

Return to “General Topics”