HomeAssistant reflash - PetitbootFailed

sccowl
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+ (Homes Assistant Blue)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

HomeAssistant reflash - PetitbootFailed

Post by sccowl »

I have a HomeAssistant Blue that has an issue with Supervisor not being able to update. I was recommended to re-flash to latest version, which I did a few weeks ago following https://www.home-assistant.io/common-ta ... -odroid-n2
which updated but issue remained and not been able to fix. Can't restore any back ups or use supervisor etc. I've been recommended to re-flash again.

I've followed above instructions again. When I launch the N2+ is set to SPI mode. I see the boot menu which is defaulted to Exit to Shell. Even though I want to select the default 'Exit to shell' option, I can't actually move the selection on this menu (usb keyboard connected). Whatever I do, it drops to shell with message
Welcome to PetitbootFailed to launch petitboot, dropping to a shell
followed by
sh: can't accesss tty; job control turned off (which is referenced in HA guide linked)

Previously I ignored this message because I was on a command line which is what I needed and able to access image file to re-flash. However, is there an issue at this point that could be impacting the HA re-flash install that should be fixed first?

Also, after each command or system message, the command prompt indents itself directly underneath the last piece of text. Because of the two messages above, the / # appears in the middle of the screen. The shell seems to work, I am using ls /dev/mmc* as per instructions, but the command starts in the middle and them moves even further across for the next prompt after the folders are listed.

The problem on the HA system seems to be something to do with network issues stopping Supervisor connecting to internet, which someone has potentially identified as an issue with the system date/time, which isn't correct (a couple of hours out from the correct time, but I have never set this).

Do I need to worry about any of this and fix it, or should I go ahead an re-flash HA again?

Any guidance much appreciated, especially trying to work out if the root cause is with the N2+ or in the HA install.

Thanks

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: HomeAssistant reflash - PetitbootFailed

Post by tobetter »

sccowl wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:46 am
I have a HomeAssistant Blue that has an issue with Supervisor not being able to update. I was recommended to re-flash to latest version, which I did a few weeks ago following https://www.home-assistant.io/common-ta ... -odroid-n2
which updated but issue remained and not been able to fix. Can't restore any back ups or use supervisor etc. I've been recommended to re-flash again.

I've followed above instructions again. When I launch the N2+ is set to SPI mode. I see the boot menu which is defaulted to Exit to Shell. Even though I want to select the default 'Exit to shell' option, I can't actually move the selection on this menu (usb keyboard connected). Whatever I do, it drops to shell with message
Welcome to PetitbootFailed to launch petitboot, dropping to a shell
followed by
sh: can't accesss tty; job control turned off (which is referenced in HA guide linked)

Previously I ignored this message because I was on a command line which is what I needed and able to access image file to re-flash. However, is there an issue at this point that could be impacting the HA re-flash install that should be fixed first?
If you are able to input a command after dropping to a shell, you do not have to worry about it. It just drops to the shell because of a bug in Petitboot when it meets an OS installed in a storage. Since you are going to flash a new image, just go a head like the instruction page. No harm.
Also, after each command or system message, the command prompt indents itself directly underneath the last piece of text. Because of the two messages above, the / # appears in the middle of the screen. The shell seems to work, I am using ls /dev/mmc* as per instructions, but the command starts in the middle and them moves even further across for the next prompt after the folders are listed.
Same as about. If you are unsure and fine to initiate your eMMC, please do run dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M count=2 conv=fsync in a commnad line and do power cycle. This command will erase the partition table and Petitboot won't detect OS from eMMC.
The problem on the HA system seems to be something to do with network issues stopping Supervisor connecting to internet, which someone has potentially identified as an issue with the system date/time, which isn't correct (a couple of hours out from the correct time, but I have never set this).

Do I need to worry about any of this and fix it, or should I go ahead an re-flash HA again?

Any guidance much appreciated, especially trying to work out if the root cause is with the N2+ or in the HA install.

Thanks
Sorry, I have no idea about the isse of HA.

sccowl
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+ (Homes Assistant Blue)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: HomeAssistant reflash - PetitbootFailed

Post by sccowl »

Perfect, thanks very much for the quick reply. I think I'll leave as is for now as that is how is came pre-installed and always booted fine, hopefully no issue if I leave as is based on your comments, but will store for reference just in case. Back to HA discord to get help once I've reflashed. Cheers

Return to “General Topics”