Why not relese odroid-N1 (or N2) for NAS system ?

Dr.Methyl
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: odroid Xu4, odroid C1+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why not relese odroid-N1 (or N2) for NAS system ?

Unread post by Dr.Methyl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:03 am

Hello,

I am a big fan of ODROID product because it has very good product and the biggest community after raspberry SBC.

I was waiting for a long time the ODROID - N1 for a NAS system because of its 2x SATA interface. But everybody knows N1 is cancelled probably because competivity with other cheaper RK3399 board.

BUT the N1 was the only one offered 2x sata interface ! And even is 4Gb RAM was not available, 2 Gb is sufficient for NAS.

After the N1 you decided to release the N2 at cheaper price. Ok, I admid the N2 is a good product. Buy it lacks the sata interfaces...

My questions is :

Since you have planned to release the N1, why you did not release it as a 2Gb RAM for NAS system ?

I own a compagny and I see there is a lot of potential for a NAS SBC with 2x SATA interface and a lot of people are waiting for this as you can see with the nubmer of different N1 linux distribution availaible just after selling the 1rst version of ODROID N1...

The N2 is good product but it lacks of the SATA interface... Do you plan in the future to make a N1/2Gb or even N2 with NAS system like for the cloudshell2 ?

I ask you because I bought a cloudshell2 to make NAS and everybody and I also prefer buying a Rock64Pro with case to make a NAS insted of Odroid product which in my opinion are much better than pine64 because of its community.

I think you are missing a very good market... your board have a lot of potential tough...

thanks for your reply in advance,

an odroid fan !

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: Why not relese odroid-N1 (or N2) for NAS system ?

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:11 am

+1 for N1's native sata ports. I'm lucky enough to have a development N1 which I turned into a NAS. I moved my system from an xu4 and got rid of all the usb-sata adapters and enclosures and it solved ALL my stability issues. I wouldn't want to go back to a usb NAS...
Plan is to move the NAS to an N2 in case the N1 dies for some reason - though I hope it won't be the case.

So, an N1 with native sata would have made a perfect nas and would have needed just a nice case (mine is just strung along).

The N2/Xu4 have usb3, which may cause instability with some disks/high throughput. The cloudshell solves the problem by adding a short/thick usb cable with two sata interfaces (or built-in as HC1/2) - which is pretty stable (the cloudshell 1 used a different controller and was less stable for some). The N2 might benefit from the same treatment.

Right now your best native sata odroid is the H2. It's relatively low power (for intel) and high performance, but you need to buy ram and is more expensive.
Not sure if S922 has a sata or pci bus that could be converted into native ports, but it would come with the sacrifice of other features.

Currently Hardkernel stated they had no plans for an N2 variant. But in time, if sales are good and they iron out the current usb issues, who knows...

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2

Unread post by elatllat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:35 am

My 40TB NAS has been using USB-SATA adapters without issue since the XU4 was released. Avoiding USB is not even an option for me, but everyone's needs are different.

stmicro
languages_spoken: english, chinese
ODROIDs: Many Odroids and Rpis.
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by stmicro » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:01 am

Why don't you try the H2? I'm running Debian 10 Buster Server on today's Kernel 5.2.0. It is really rock solid with a Type-1 case at 4~5Watt idling power consumption.
H2+4GB RAM must be around $60 more expensive than the abandoned N1. But I spent about $500 to purchase two 10TB HGST NAS HDDs. So the total ownership cost might not be much different if you want to build a large capacity NAS server.

powerful owl
ODROIDs: 6 x HC1, N2, H2

Unread post by powerful owl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 pm

stmicro wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:01 am
Why don't you try the H2?
I was wondering that too..

RockPro64 needs adapter card, case is more expensive (with PSU for drives), all added up I don't think a huge price difference. H2 has faster processor, x86 lots of distros, NVMe.

AreaScout
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:27 pm

Can't find it anymore but I have read somewhere that they want to make a smaller version of the N2 for NAS usage.

And if I look to the downloads of my CloudShell2 LCD Monitoring Tool, a NAS is a must to have. It was just yesterday that someone asked me if my tool is running also on N2, he loves it so much and would like to see it on N2 too, well compiling it for 64bit arm isn't much of a problem but the ribbon cable won't fit I guess and a slightly modified case would be needed of course.

My next version of the tool is already in works which will support things like text commands 'CloudShell2, what is your CPU temperature ?' from any where and any place :)

RG

Return to “General Topics”