Odroid N2 Sales questions

Panita
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Odroid N2 Sales questions

Unread post by Panita » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Hello!
I am a newbie in this type of units, I have some generic boxes S912 of which, for what I paid, I can not complain, but this time I'm planning to get the real product according to the CE group, of course, when this puppy is available to buy it.

Because I do not know much about this type of box, I would like to know what everything I need to buy to have a complete unit ready to enjoy kodi. According to the ad price it is $ 79.00, but below I see many things that I think are needed for a complete device or maybe I'm just guessing.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Odroid N2 Sales questions

Unread post by odroid » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Basically, ODROID boards were made for developers and it is not suitable for normal consumers.
Sorry about that.

Raybuntu
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Unread post by Raybuntu » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Panita wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:20 pm
Hello!
I am a newbie in this type of units, I have some generic boxes S912 of which, for what I paid, I can not complain, but this time I'm planning to get the real product according to the CE group, of course, when this puppy is available to buy it.

Because I do not know much about this type of box, I would like to know what everything I need to buy to have a complete unit ready to enjoy kodi. According to the ad price it is $ 79.00, but below I see many things that I think are needed for a complete device or maybe I'm just guessing.
Well the N2 is a complete board imo. You just buy the board and a psu (or maybe you have a psu already that fits). If you want faster boot get an emmc if not get a micro SD card. Flash CoreELEC and enjoy ;)
If you need wifi you can buy a supported wifi usb stick. If you need Bluetooth buy a usb BT stick.

Gburas
languages_spoken: English, Polish
ODROIDs: Xu4

Unread post by Gburas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:32 pm

you just have to remember that it is not an end product, like ready-made boxes. You have to adjust it to yourself and sometimes wait for someone to develop a solution

Panita

Unread post by Panita » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:36 pm

odroid wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:30 pm
Basically, ODROID boards were made for developers and it is not suitable for normal consumers.
Sorry about that.
Thanks for your reply, although it didn't answer any of my doubts. A circuit board outside of a case box, should be obvious that it wasn't build for regular consumers.
Raybuntu wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:40 pm
Well the N2 is a complete board imo.
It's true, but from the point of view of my question it didn't, because I can't connect just the bare board to tv and expect to use kodi with CE :P
Thanks to your answer and advices I'm 100% clear what to do and what I need to get my build running. I'm just waiting for the unit become available to buy it.
Gburas wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:32 pm
you just have to remember that it is not an end product, like ready-made boxes. You have to adjust it to yourself and sometimes wait for someone to develop a solution
Thanks for your advice, I forgot to mention that I love the testing world :D

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Panita wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:36 pm
It's true, but from the point of view of my question it didn't, because I can't connect just the bare board to tv and expect to use kodi with CE :P
Yes, you are right, you cannot connect the board to your tv, you need an HDMI cable for sure. :)

Raybuntu

Unread post by Raybuntu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:55 pm

@Panita I probably didn't get your question then. I thought you wannted to use CoreELEC.

Panita

Unread post by Panita » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Pelican wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:01 pm
Yes, you are right, you cannot connect the board to your tv, you need an HDMI cable for sure. :)
lol@Pelican, you got me :lol:
Raybuntu wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:55 pm
@Panita I probably didn't get your question then. I thought you wannted to use CoreELEC.
No, you didn't. That's what I want, perhaps my poor english didn't allow me to explain how I'd like to. In fact your answer brought light to my darker doubts.
Thanks again :)

Raybuntu

Unread post by Raybuntu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:42 am

Panita wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 pm
Pelican wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:01 pm
lol@Pelican, you got me :lol:
Raybuntu wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:55 pm
No, you didn't. That's what I want, perhaps my poor english didn't allow me to explain how I'd like to. In fact your answer brought light to my darker doubts.
Thanks again :)
Well then let me say this. Currently you won't find any better device for CoreELEC then the Odroid N2. With the case it looks like one of these Amlogic TV Boxes. Yeah it doesn't have builtin Wifi or Bluetooth but this is easy to extend.
These users thanked the author Raybuntu for the post:
shanti (Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:20 pm)

Nimasha

Unread post by Nimasha » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Raybuntu wrote:
Panita wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:20 pm
Hello!

Well the N2 is a complete board imo. You just buy the board and a psu (or maybe you have a psu already that fits). If you want faster boot get an emmc if not get a micro SD card. Flash CoreELEC and enjoy ;)
If you need wifi you can buy a supported wifi usb stick. If you need Bluetooth buy a usb BT stick.
I'm sorry for butting in, but I want to have the best CE device as well. I'm a newbie to sbc so I need your advise, planning to buy from HK website and I attached a screenshot of my cart, I don't use streaming services, just want to play my 4k HDR movies that's stored in my HDD.
Can you help me to get the necessary accessories for N2.

Thank you. Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Raybuntu

Unread post by Raybuntu » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Looking good.
IR Remote is optional. You can use other IR remotes too or CEC. But It's good to have the original Remote and it doesn't cost much. I would not stream your 4K movies over wifi but rather use Gbit Ethernet. Some people have 100GB movie files and wifi is just not suitable for to keep up

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:39 pm

@Nimasha, I would suggest adding an eMMC if your budget permits. eMMC is super faster than SD card.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
Raybuntu (Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:13 pm)

Nimasha

Unread post by Nimasha » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:48 pm

Thank you for the advice guys, I'm not familiar with using eMMC, do I have to buy a USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer as well? Care to elaborate more @tobetter
Thank you.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:38 pm

Nimasha wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:48 pm
Thank you for the advice guys, I'm not familiar with using eMMC, do I have to buy a USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer as well? Care to elaborate more @tobetter
Thank you.

eMMC is another type of storage which is usually built with many products, especially every single smartphone has it today. Way faster than SD card.
If you are a newbie at such SBC world, especially for ODROID, it's worth to purchase USB 3.0 eMMC. But this is very ODROID thing since other SBC does not support removable eMMC and If you do not have eMMC Module Writer, you can boot your board with SD card and flashing eMMC from ODROID itself. So I would suggest if your budget is fine, just good to have IMO. One more thing, if you are more than a consumer and are interesting development or debugging, it's worth to have USB-to-UART debugging. Obviously, this is also just good to have.

Nimasha

Unread post by Nimasha » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:15 pm

Allright cool, so that means if I just bought the eMMC, using my current sd card I can install CoreELEC to the eMMC right?

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 pm

Nimasha wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:15 pm
Allright cool, so that means if I just bought the eMMC, using my current sd card I can install CoreELEC to the eMMC right?

Technically yes, please keep in mind that in order to flash CoreElec to eMMC from your SD card, you will need to start another OS other than CoreElec, Ubuntu for example, and can run dd to flash the image to eMMC. Usually, I think many users including me do use eMMC Module Writer because of its convenience and performance.

Nimasha

Unread post by Nimasha » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:08 am

Thank you for the info, I'll do some more research about this and decide what to buy. Do you mind if I contact you for some clarifications?

Raybuntu

Unread post by Raybuntu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:18 am

Just FYI I wrote a script to write CoreELEC to emmc from CoreELEC on SD card. So technically you don't need an adapter.

You just boot CE from SD card (with emmc removed), ssh into it and call odroidn2toemmc command. Follow the instructions on screen and it will flash emmc and move your userdata to emmc.
These users thanked the author Raybuntu for the post:
tobetter (Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:31 am)

Nimasha

Unread post by Nimasha » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:39 am

Raybuntu wrote:Just FYI I wrote a script to write CoreELEC to emmc from CoreELEC on SD card. So technically you don't need an adapter.

You just boot CE from SD card (with emmc removed), ssh into it and call odroidn2toemmc command. Follow the instructions on screen and it will flash emmc and move your userdata to emmc.
Perfect! You are a lifesaver Ray! Image

Return to “General Topics”