[SOLVED] Issue with Odroid H4 Ultra and Mini ITX Kit Power Cycling

mickey955
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: H4 Ultra
Has thanked: 0

[SOLVED] Issue with Odroid H4 Ultra and Mini ITX Kit Power Cycling

Post by mickey955 »

Hello everyone,

I'm encountering a peculiar problem with my Odroid H4 Ultra and Mini ITX kit setup. Here’s the issue in detail:

When I power on the computer and shut it down through the operating system, the computer powers off as expected with the red LED on the board illuminating. So far, so good.

However, if I then turn off the power supply and wait for the red LED to go out, and subsequently turn the power supply back on, the red LED does not light up again and I'm unable to power on the board. The only way to make it work is by toggling the switch on the Mini ITX kit off and then on again. After doing this, everything functions normally.

Interestingly, if I disconnect the running computer from power and then turn the power supply off and on, everything also works fine.

It feels like this might be a manufacturing defect or a firmware issue. Has anyone encountered a similar problem or have any insights on this?

Thanks in advance!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Issue with Odroid H4 Ultra and Mini ITX Kit Power Cycling

Post by odroid »

Which power supply do you use? Is it a generic PC ATX PSU?
Did you connect the RTC/CMOS backup battery to your H4-Ultra?

Also check the following two wiki pages.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-h4/appli ... er_applied
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-h4/appli ... wer_switch

mickey955

Post by mickey955 »

I use an ATX NZXT C750 Bronze power supply, and I have connected the power button pin to the case and set up automatic power-on after a power outage. However, when I shut down the board via the OS and then unplug and replug the power supply, neither the power button nor the automatic power-on works. The board only powers up after toggling the power switch on the Mini ITX kit off and then on again, which cannot be done remotely. Interestingly, this issue does not occur when I hard power off the computer (without a proper shutdown); in that case, everything starts up fine.

Any suggestions?

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

I still have a few questions to narrow down root causes.

<1> What happens if you press the power button (small black tact switch on the H4 board) after shut down the system via OS?

<2> Which OS do you use? We've been using only Ubuntu 22.04.5 and 24.04.

<3> The symptoms you are talking about seem to occur when the RTC/CMOS backup battery is not connected as I told you.
Please check the connection carefully.
odroid wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:57 am
Did you connect the RTC/CMOS backup battery to your H4-Ultra?

mickey955

Post by mickey955 »

1. nothing happens if you also disconnect PSU and reconnect PSU, if PSU is kept connected it will start, no issue with that
2. ubuntu 24.04
3. checked, it cannot be since always power on is set-up and saved in BIOS, and by default it does not start automatically, if you look on attached video when I cycle power manually on mini-itx kit it starts automatically so that means this settings is saved in BIOS and battery definitely connected, see also from attached video

https://youtube.com/shorts/vDCVsEuSAFk

Just a note, this happens only when correctly shutdown from OS and for 1 minute (or after red light turns off) powered off ATX PSU and powered it again

mickey955

Post by mickey955 »

Ok, so it is solved, it is a PSU issue of NZXT C750 Bronze. There is a jump start button on Mini ITX Kit for PSU, and it completely does not matter if Odroid is connected or not. When I power on PSU after some time it automatically starts with jump start, if I disconnect it and reconnect it to power I have to press the mini itx button to restart jump start. So consider it as solved. I will change PSU.
These users thanked the author mickey955 for the post:
odroid (Fri May 17, 2024 10:24 am)

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

I'm glad you finally found the root cause. Looks very reasonable.

mickey955

Re: [SOLVED] Issue with Odroid H4 Ultra and Mini ITX Kit Power Cycling

Post by mickey955 »

Just a little upgrade, I ordered Seasonic Core GM 550 Gold which also include Jump Start board (so I did not connected power butten from Mini ITX) and better strapping tape, and everything works correctly. To note, on 0W load Seasonic takes 8W but NZXT takes 5W, but when mainboard is connected with 2TB NVMe and 48GB DDR5, it is the same for both PSUs, 20W on CPU idle, and 25W on 100% cpu stress test.
These users thanked the author mickey955 for the post:
odroid (Fri May 17, 2024 5:05 pm)

Return to “Issues”