CNC Controller

blazini36
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2, XU4, HC2

CNC Controller

Post by blazini36 »

I've used an H2 in my milling machine for years, I've got a couple of H3s in other CNC machines. I run LinuxCNC on everything so it's always PC based. I recently had the idea of just making a universal CNC control panel type deal. It's quite a bit of work to design and make something so I tried to do it with the idea that I could sell them, though there's probably not an actual market for something like this. Either way I plan to have a few fabbed up and ready to go so it's one less thing to have to worry about when I need one.

I designed a couple of PCBs to but down on wiring. The 2 PCBs have separate purposes but kind of work together. First is a breakout for the H3's IO connector. It breaks out the 3 USB ports to JST connectors as they're meant for internal use, I'm not a fan of USB A connectors inside of enclosures. It also takes the UART and turns it into an RS485/RS422 port that is configurable with jumpers for half/full duplex and termination. It also adds a level shifted 5v I2C port, and the 2nd I2C channel adds 16 IO using the same chip Odroid used to use with their expander, MCP23017. I don't have a particular use for the I2C stuff with this project, it's just there in case I need it for something in the future so why not...

2nd PCB is an Arduino mega break out board. The panel controls are handled by an open source firmware that communicates back to LinuxCNC. I got that all working but I redesigned this PCB to use a Teensy 4.1 instead of a Mega for various reasons. I haven't had the Teensy version fabbed yet as I need to finish some other PCB designs before placing that order. The whole thing only uses a single 12v power supply so this board has a 5v switching regulator as I really don't want to overstress the H3's 5v regulator. The first PCB has a jumper to switch the 5v supply from the H3 to external 5v. This PCB supplies the external 5v. The first PCB outputs the +5v_RUN_H signal from the H3 and it is used to enable the 5v regulator on this PCB. This is done so if the H3 is shut down all of the control panel IO is turned off/on as well.

I won't get into the metal fab stuff since this isn't the forum for it but the prototype turned out pretty well. I just gave it a quick spray paint job, it'll get stripped down and powdercoated when I finish and send out the rest that I have already cut.

These users thanked the author blazini36 for the post (total 3):
mctom (Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:36 pm) • odroid (Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:56 am) • domih (Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:46 am)

rooted

Re: CNC Controller

Post by rooted »

Thanks for sharing your setup, it's the first time I've seen an Odroid being used to control a CNC I believe.

I have seen 3D printers being controlled which are similar in several ways.

blazini36
ODROIDs: N2, XU4, HC2

Re: CNC Controller

Post by blazini36 »

I've got a good 4 machines using an H2 or an H3. It's good for the simple fact that it has 2 ethernet ports and it's not in it's own enclosure. An enclosure is just a hindrance when you're already sticking it in a box

Return to “Projects”