H2+ discontiniued?

Peedy2495
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: H2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

H2+ discontiniued?

Post by Peedy2495 »

Referring to https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/07/09 ... rocessors/ the core of H2+ has been retired since last year.
Will be there a last batch of H2+-Boards or is this fabulous board End-of-Life, now?
Any future Plans for a follow-up with x86 arch?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: H2+ discontiniued?

Post by odroid »

We have had no plan to discontinue the H2+.
But, we couldn't source key components since late last year due to the world wide semiconductor shortage problem.
We can't tell you our plan since many of x86 related components will be shortage by end of next year too.
They call it 'painful period'.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/03/semicon ... l-ceo.html

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Here's a crazy idea - if the market has surplus of "junk" (as in weird/low performing) components, maybe you can MacGuyver some device out of spare parts that nobody wants! It would be a challenge for the design team, but a bigger challenge for the sales team . But it would give you something to tinker...

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

@mad_ady,
Because our minimum production batch size has been around 5000pcs to lower the unit cost, your (crazy?) idea is not feasible for us.

Anyway, we might need to sadly say "H2+ discontinued unexpectedly". :cry:

fvolk
ODROIDs: C2, C4, H2

Post by fvolk »

Owning one of the initial H2 Rev-A from the first production batch, I feel like I'm owning now a rare collectors item - it should sell for a high price, yes? :-)
(Looking forward to what new devices Hardkernel will come up with in 2022...)

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

mad_ady wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:10 pm
Here's a crazy idea - if the market has surplus of "junk" (as in weird/low performing) components, maybe you can MacGuyver some device out of spare parts that nobody wants!
This is basically my hobby in a nutshell. :) Fortunately I've got loads of components hoarded for past few years, and thanks to neat filing system I prefer using them for my designs and repairs.
Although I'm strongly considering jumping into FPGA world, to free myself from using logic chips of any kind.

The chip shortage is real.
I recently designed a quite simple board for my friend's company, and was stunned how bad the situation has become. They were not able to source even such basic components like voltage level translators, linear regulators in prototype quantities.
All these components were on the market two weeks before, at the time of me committing to the bill of materials. Two weeks later, even the most direct source (Texas instruments) was dry.
By the time the layout was ready, they are not able to buy these specific parts. They may spend extra time and money on me changing the layout to accommodate alternative components, but the situation might happen again. Buying components beforehand is risky, as sometimes errors are found on layout stage, and does not secure future batch production anyway.

Heck, I am actually considering sale of my components online. I have 7x ATmega128 I bought for ~ 1 EUR per piece, now the lowest price I see is ~7 EUR.
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Better gains than crypto, right?

mctom

Post by mctom »

Forget crypto, IC speculation is a growing market now :D

Speaking of new SBCs from obsolete parts, I found Motorola 68000. I'll make an SBC out of it if you make Linux image for it. ;)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

fvolk

Post by fvolk »

mad_ady wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:14 pm
Better gains than crypto, right? Image
Mine runs for about ~2,5y now as home NAS 24/7 - if it were to die suddenly sourcing a replacement H2 for a fair price could now be a challenge :-/
Hopefully until then Hardkernel has a replacement model out...

mctom

Post by mctom »

Mind if I ask you, what was the reasoning behind building NAS based on H2 in the first place?

If I were you, I'd be observing local auction site and fish out a cheap backup unit.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

- if it were to die suddenly sourcing a replacement H2 for a fair price could now be a challenge :-/
You're lucky! H2 is intel, so you can pop the OS disk in most old laptops and figure out how to connect the disks via usb and you're done in an hour.

My NAS runs on the unobtanium N1!

mctom

Post by mctom »

I guess I'll never understand what's so bad about NAS failure. You set up a new one based on any SBC, copy config files, fill it with your family photos and heaps of movies you already watched, done. ;)
It's not like you store anything useful on NAS, do you? :roll:

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

My NAS also runs most of my home automation, so, no NAS, no heating. I also use it as a VPN concentrator, so no remote assistance for the family... Oh, and it runs a DNS server too, but who needs that anyway?

mctom

Post by mctom »

I see, so it's much more than NAS. In that case you could really benefit from making your setup more platform agnostic, but I imagine it's easier said than done.
I don't recall ever seeing Odroid N1 on a second hand market, and I watch it every morning.

Well, I'm currently working on radiator valve controller, and I picked a valve that is open by default exactly for this reason.
Another Pi handles torrents (mostly seeding Linux images for the sake of it)
Another Pi plays music in the kitchen.
And Pi-Hole (DNS + DHCP) works on a separate XU4.
One more Pi Zero will play cheesy 80s music and spin disco ball in the bathroom.

The point is, I think the most severe would be the death of Pi-Hole unit, XU4. Fortunately I've got more, and are easily available.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

fvolk

Post by fvolk »

mctom wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:19 pm
Mind if I ask you, what was the reasoning behind building NAS based on H2 in the first place?
The original C2+USB disk contraption was unstable (USB...), too slow (USB2), missing upstream kernel support and getting ARM builds of packages is extra work.

H2 was small AND low power AND passive cooled (hosted in living room, no noise is important!) AND some storage on M2 SSD (silent storage for automation scripts) AND larger storage (longer downloads over night, multimedia) on 2x2.5" that is not on unstable USB ans can spin up on demand AND standard x86 packages compatible (except the ones needing AVX)
It was the right sized device at the right price at the right time with the right features...

To be a bit more on-topic for this thread before Odroid locks it, a successor in the same market niche, but based on Alder Lake efficiency cores would be nice?
Probably not before 2023....

mctom

Post by mctom »

Thanks for the explanation, good points indeed.
Still, I had much of a headache trying to get HDD to work with USB dongle on N2+, it somehow works at this point. It is passive cooled (It has an optional fan but it never turns on), all Ubuntu packages are available for aarch64 AFAIK... Yet I can see why you preferred H2 in the end.
Also, there was no N2+ back then, I think.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

powerful owl
ODROIDs: 3 x H2, 1 x H2+

Post by powerful owl »

Hopefully HK can continue the H2 line somehow.

tmihai20
languages_spoken: english, french, italian, romanian
ODROIDs: XU4, Go, H2, N2 (4GB)

Post by tmihai20 »

I actually found out about this when I was trying to find H2 Plus (with the 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet). It does not matter if you cannot produce H2, you should think of a successor. I would love to have one with more SATA ports and low power consumption. I don't want to give up on the M.2 port, I love having my H2 boot up extremely fast and perform root filesystem operations fast too. I started looking at low power consumption servers, but those are waaay too expensive for my taste (I went a little overboard with the config to see how much it would cost). Please make an H3 with 2.5 Gigabit.
Riddle me this, riddle me that
Who is afraid of the big, black bat?
I write (in Romanian mostly) on a blog (see my profile)

mctom

Post by mctom »

And make it pink! ;)

Seriously though, I guess H3 could come in two variants - with everything, and H3-lite with the same PCB but some components omitted at a bargain price. For those who want a server or a desktop.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

GalenRhodes
ODROIDs: U3, XU4, C2 all running Ubuntu

Post by GalenRhodes »

This is very sad because I love this board. I've been wanting to buy more (I only have one) but they've been out of stock. I love the performance of it!
These users thanked the author GalenRhodes for the post:
slamb (Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:43 am)

powerful owl
ODROIDs: 3 x H2, 1 x H2+

Post by powerful owl »

Oh, I thought it was still up in the air but it actually is discontinued. https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2plus/

bge
ODROIDs: H2

Post by bge »

Hi,

I am happy with an H2 and would like very much to purchase another x86_64-based SBC in the near future. I hope that Hardkernel considers offering a similar SBC.
These users thanked the author bge for the post:
L67GS (Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:36 am)

mctom

Post by mctom »

I think they'd love to..

Now things are so bad there are no FTDI chips left on the market, let alone Intel Atom SoCs.
Yup, I ordered 2x FT232s the other day and I'm scheduled to receive them somewhere around April.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

bge wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:20 am
Hi,

I am happy with an H2 and would like very much to purchase another x86_64-based SBC in the near future. I hope that Hardkernel considers offering a similar SBC.
I was planning on ordering this winter, hopefully HK offers another x86 once the whatever this is with the component shortage ends. I'd like to see more GPIO on a new model but it seems like they're going more into the server market and shying away from the maker crowd.

brad
ODROIDs: C2 C4 HC4 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

I have a few

H2 - WIndows 10 machine for everyday use
H2+ Network router with 4 port netcard
H2+ SAN / NAS server

With a small bit of effort I could migrate them all to other hardware but I suspect it would cost quiet a bit (ie finding something that has 6x 2.5G ethernet ports to act as a router)

domih
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, N2+, H2, H2+, C4, HC4 - 1GbE, 2.5GbE, 10GbE, 40+GbE

Post by domih »

The announcement from Hard Kernel has the merit to bring clarity. If you have a project based on the H2+ and if you do not already own one, you know for sure that you need to find an alternative.

Imagine NVIDIA or AMD announcing their graphical cards at MSRP are now discontinued... yeah, right.

So, reading between the lines, INTEL and AMD cut small quantities contracts in order to satisfy bigger fishes like Dell, HP, etc so that these "manufacturers" can keep making stupid pre-built systems with non-standard components (e.g. motherboards, PSU) which makes them non-upgradable with standard parts and prevent their components to be reused in other systems. In doing so, your upgrade path is to buy a new Dell, HP, etc sending the previous one to e-waste :-(

IMHO, the essential quality of the H2+ was/is its intelligent leverage of the 6 lanes of PCIe Gen 2 allowing great DIY customizations: 2 x 2.5GbE (plus the optional H2 Net card), x4 lanes for the NVMe, 2 x SATA. Most of the mainstream pre-built SFF boxes based on Gemini Lake did not provide such versatility because for example they were offering only x2 for the NVMe. You can plug-in a graphics card with x4 while maintaining usability. Not so with x2.

An alternate SBC DIY solution which is pretty close to the H2+ is one of the Seeed Odyssey models. A few models are out of stock but a few others are still available but in limited quantity. More expensive, different philosophy but close enough, depending on your needs.

I hope that in better times Hard Kernel will come back with a vengeance to the x86 world to show the mainstream how it ought to be done.

.../...

In the meantime, still with an x86 system, I R&D'd a system with PCIe Gen 3 x8 for a 45+ GbE NIC and another PCIe Gen 3 x8 for a real hardware RAID Adapter card. The trick is possible at "low" cost thanks to AMD 5000G series which in contrast to the previous 4000G and 3000G series offer PCIe Gen 3 x16 lanes :-) The previous series only offered x8 lanes. ASRock has two mini-itx AM4 boards allowing to bifurcate x16 into x8 + x8 (or x8 + x4 + x4)(*) in the BIOS. Bingo!

BIOS-bifurcate-x16-to-x8-x8-.png
BIOS-bifurcate-x16-to-x8-x8-.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 78 times

Using eBay used hardware to lower the cost of the NIC, RAID card and 8 x SAS 12Gb 8TB HGST He8 disks, I ended up with a $2753 BOM. All new would have been $4273.

(*) The x8 + x4 + x4 would allow to keep the RAID card and have two 2-port 10GbE NICs (so 4 x 10GbE ports).

I went with a 5700G 8C/16T, 32GB 3600MT/s memory(**) and a 512GB NVMe for boot and OS. A 5600G would do too for less $$$.

I found the passive bifurcation board shown below there: https://c-payne.com/. Solid product, worked on first try. Tip: the board is passive, meaning that the logical bifurcation must be activated in the BIOS. Also note that this a PCIe Gen 3 bifurcation board, not for use with Gen 4, where the actual hardware traces have higher restrictions. Gen 4 bifurcation boards and riser cables are significantly more expensive. The same applies to future Gen 5 accessories where the length of the traces might require dedicated electronics to maintain the signal in good condition, again it will mean more $$$.

pcie-bifurcation-card.png
pcie-bifurcation-card.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 78 times

(**) After some benchmarking I concluded that the difference between 3200 and 3600 is not worth the extra cost. It is very worth to use 3200 vs. 2400, but higher transfer rates show minimal declining return on investment.

The R&D setup looks like this:

8xSAS12g-RAID10-in progress.png
8xSAS12g-RAID10-in progress.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 78 times

The efforts have been rewarded beyond my expectations. With a RAID 10 of 8 x SAS 12Gb drive I get these iozone3 results:

8 x SAS

Code: Select all

RAID10 / iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2

102400       4   122377   137437   138961   140013   138789   135158                                                               
          102400      16   452399   514089   519291   516947   510771   502361                                                               
          102400     512  4033711  4107312  4060943  4118576  4067673  4128712                                                               
          102400    1024  4950240  5065548  4949498  5002943  4955952  5068298                                                               
          102400   16384  6688698  6798433  6708287  6699676  6729967  6779653

RAID10 / iozone -e -I -a -s 200M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2

204800       4   124092   137324   140117   140289   137564   135054                                                               
          204800      16   450263   505284   512117   512993   507322   494644                                                               
          204800     512  3678098  4078446  3859069  4091345  4085934  4122545                                                               
          204800    1024  4231769  5053919  4924607  4983086  4982710  5069548                                                               
          204800   16384  6151145  6426544  6286045  6311835  6708549  6774407

RAID10 / iozone -e -I -a -s 400M -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2

409600    1024  1627728   658457  5321138  5401051  5401560  5462635                                                               
          409600   16384  1326635  6598687  6239719  6529171  6521686  6560737
The disk I/O offload from the CPU to the RAID card with 1GB of cache plus using SAS 12g (instead of SATAIII 6g) is... very good stuff :mrgreen:

Samba shows the following results:

Sequential write (e.g. copy of a large file) is about 20 times faster than 1 GbE:
- Copying 1 GB file: 0.492 sec (median of 7 tests, tested with a PC that tops at 30+ GbE, not 48 GbE)
- Copying 2 GB file: 0.961 sec (ditto)
- Copying 4 GB file: 1.879 sec (ditto)
- Copying 40GB file: 49.211 sec (ditto)(8 times faster)

The use case would be storing/transferring large video files. With such network speed, you can edit an Adobe Premiere project with the video files staying on the NAS. Same story for imaging, database, VM over the network. Tested on Ubuntu 20.04.

For more casual use cases the acceleration goes down to about 9 times faster than 1 GbE e.g. copying 500 files for a total of 1.6GB (100 files of 1,2,3,4,5 MB).
For very large files, as the 40GB example above, that flushes away the RAID card cache multiple times, the ratio is about 8 times faster than 1 GbE.

I still have to test download (copy from the NAS) and test Windows Server 2019(***).

(***) By the way, if you do not want to spend a fortune on Windows licenses, try https://www.vip-scdkey.com and search for Windows, Office, etc. Their keys are legit and I already succesfully activated Windows 10 and Office 2016. There are several well known Tech News YouTubers where vip-scdkey advertizes with a special code coupon to lower even more the cost. Beware: a few other similar providers are crooks. Do your home work, as usual. To the doubters: Microsoft makes 99% of its business with OEMs and as long as it stays like that it won't care about DIY people.

These results were made with a PC that tops at 30 GbE, not max 48 GbE, so I expect some minor future amelioration. I still have to understand a few subtleties about the Mellanox cards configuration. I have 3 PCs topping at 48Gbe, while the others top at 30/35 GbE. I still looking for the "differences". You would not have such differences with SFP+ or RJ-45 10GbE cards, if 10GbE is enough for you.

For the case, I'm building one with white wood, same techniques as the 3 x H2+ tower I made last year.

So I've got a 29 TB RAID10 NAS serving over 1GbE, 2.5GbE plus 10GbE or 45+ GbE.

CONCLUSION
(1) Dear QNAP, Synology, Asustor, TerraMaster: NOPE, I don't need your wares.
(2) Dear Hard Kernel, I DEFINITELY WILL BE your x86 customer when you come back to the x86 world with an x8 + x8 PCIe capability. In the meantime, I keep eyeing/using your great ARM boards and my H2+ will run until they die.

OTHER CONCLUSION
Shipping containers accummulate in the US ports, in particular the Los Angeles port which represents about 40% of the US shipping container distribution. The reason is that the pandemic triggered a scarcity of truck and train drivers to move the containers to their final destination. This has the following domino effects (non exhaustive-list):
- Goods have difficulty reaching retailers and non-availability of products trigger higher prices and inflation.
- Two dozens giant cargo boats are always anchored near LA waiting for their turn to unload. These boats, doing nothing, are not available for their next shipping missions leading to more backlog and inflation in shipping costs.
- The accummulation of containers in the Western ports triggered a scarcity in China slowing down supply chain transfers between manufacturers leading again to higher prices and delays.
- The situation is so dramatic that POTUS is asking the ports and transport industries to work 24x7. The real story here is to make sure that the goods will be in stores for the holiday season. Americans have not seen rationing since WWII so imagine the horror and shock for a population used to 200% abundance. An analogy is rain or snow in California: the American car drivers are barely able to cope on the freeway :-) I'm not making this up, each time there is very bad weather you can see a few cars upside down on the road side. This is particular to California. In Minnesota, an ederly couple will drive 80MPH on two feet of snow eyes closed :-)

The world-wide supply chains and distribution channels got an industrial decease and it's called the COVID-19 pandemic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_mF0DhDSlo)

christmas-2021.png
christmas-2021.png (974.5 KiB) Viewed 69 times
These users thanked the author domih for the post:
mctom (Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:22 pm)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

I always enjoy domih's posts!
I'm treasuring my H2 and it's my oldest kid's PC (school and games). His complaint is that it doesn't support virtual background for the webcam (linux + no avx support) - so maybe future boards should have a cpu that supports AVX.
I was hoping to snatch a second one for kid #2, since he now started school and needs one for home schooling...

Regarding upgrades - adding an external second-hand GPU sounds like a great idea and would allow me to extend its gaming lifetime for a few more years, but sadly, I'd need a custom case and I don't have the skill (nor time) to build one... But I do admire those who have and shared their designs. If only there was a simple way to get a design manufactured locally....

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”