USB3 to SATA 6 compatible adapter

TheBigG
languages_spoken: german english
ODROIDs: XU, XU4, C1, C1+, C2, H2+

USB3 to SATA 6 compatible adapter

Post by TheBigG »

Hello,
I'm searching for a USB3 to SATA6 Adapter that works with the H2+. I got currently https://www.inateck.com/products/inatec ... sb-adapter which disconnects at high load and because i thought maybe it is a power issue than I got https://www.inateck.com/products/inateck-ua1005-black which has the same issue.
I think atleast that it is a hardware issue because I get this if I try SMART

Code: Select all

"Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in captive mode" failed: Connection timed out
And with high load it disconnects and won't be usable until i restart the OS.

Does somebody have experience with a adapter that won't DC if there is high load or I run SMART? I don't want to order like 10 different ones just to find one that works if maybe here somebody knows one which works?
Or is there maybe a Bios setting that I should change because they don't disconnect attached to my computer instead of the H2+
Thanks for help

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Re: USB3 to SATA 6 compatible adapter

Post by igorpec »

By disabling UASP you can mitigate this problem a bit, while attaching disk drive via USB is anyway not the best idea ... Ask for opinion on storage experts forums https://www.truenas.com/community/
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards
What is Armbian?

fvolk
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, C4, H2
Has thanked: 0

Post by fvolk »

TheBigG wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:03 pm
which disconnects at high load and because i thought maybe it is a power issue
May I ask, what drive model do you use?

TheBigG

Post by TheBigG »

I tested Crucial MX 500 2TB (CT2000MX500SSD1), Crucial MX 500 500 GB (CT500MX500SSD1) and Crucial MX 100 256 GB (Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1)

fvolk
ODROIDs: C2, C4, H2
Has thanked: 0

Post by fvolk »

I have the same Inateck UA1003 adapters and connecting mechanical 500GB-2TB drives to it so far they have been reliable for attaching disks for backups.
However, I have no long runtime experience with them and no experience running them with SSDs.

I do have some experience connecting harddisks via USB longterm.
The "big boys" Seagate 5TB models draw a lot of power and on some PCs I never got them stable, on others they work fine but they still have 2-3 random USB dis-/reconnects per year.
I regularly also run Samsung T5 SSDs via USB. No matter what I do, about every 2 weeks they have a USB dis-/reconnect - very annoying.
So... if attaching harddisks via USB longterm, they might just be unstable - yes, its true.

Disabling UASP might help - higher speeds just leave less tolerances?
On older, Haswell era PCs, I never had a single problem with the Samsung T5 SSDs - and they run at ~420MB/s just fine.
On brand new 9/10th gen PCs and USB 3.2 the USB cable matters A LOT with the Samsung SSDs. The original Samsung cables included are good and almost all USB cables bought from Amazon throw errors. Except braided expensive ones that were explicitly marked for high quality and power delivery work.

Hope this helps somehow - but USB harddisk adapters are just annoyingly unstable technology :-/
These users thanked the author fvolk for the post:
odroid (Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:12 am)

doughnut
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+ C4 XU4 H2 (dead) H2+

Post by doughnut »

I have this from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K7 ... UTF8&psc=1 It includes a standalone 12v supply. I dont believe it provides any additional power for 5v, so you get what USB3 will give you. I have a spare 4tb drive I can connect to see if it has any issues. I will try it for you and let you know.

I mention the 5v power because I bought this to power a blueray drive. I had mixed results that I think were due to 5v issues. In any event, I will try to run some tests for you asap.

I dont know if it matters, but are you running Windows or Linux?

What sort of stress test are you looking for to qualify the configuration? I only have one H2+ and it is in production as a file server, so I cant justify spending too much time on this...

TheBigG

Post by TheBigG »

I run Proxmox with Kernel 5.11
DC happens e.g. if I download a docker image, or If I download many files at the same time with JDownloader while also extracting them to a SATA attached HDD. I get around 1,15 Gbit/s downstream so the SSD has to work a lot.

domih
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, N2+, H2, H2+, C4, HC4 - 1GbE, 2.5GbE, 10GbE, 40+GbE

Post by domih »

I believe several other users went PCIe with an M.2 to 4-port SATA III Adapter (e.g. IOCrest / Syba). Alternatively, go with an M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter and then install a PCIe card with 4 or more SATA III port. If my memory is correct Marvell-cards without the RAID feature are correctly recognized on the H2+. Should be rock solid and more performing compared to USB3 => SATAIII. In any case, the 4 or 6 drives should be powered by a separate PSU. The 12v rail on the H2+ board won't go beyond 2 drives, especially if the drives are power hungry.

TheBigG

Post by TheBigG »

domih wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:46 am
I believe several other users went PCIe with an M.2 to 4-port SATA III Adapter (e.g. IOCrest / Syba). Alternatively, go with an M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter and then install a PCIe card with 4 or more SATA III port. If my memory is correct Marvell-cards without the RAID feature are correctly recognized on the H2+. Should be rock solid and more performing compared to USB3 => SATAIII. In any case, the 4 or 6 drives should be powered by a separate PSU. The 12v rail on the H2+ board won't go beyond 2 drives, especially if the drives are power hungry.
Ok I understand that USB to SATA simply won't run stable no matter which adapter I use. Sadly I can't use the PCIe slot because it is already in use by the 4x 2,5 gbit/s card. Since I run SSDs I don't think my limitation is the power draw of them.
Thanks everybody for the Feedback, maybe there will be some day a Odroid h2++ with more SATA ports. Until that i will need to have storage connected to a different system, because if the USB Storage disconnects, shortly after that the complete host system hungs up and need a hard restart to work again.

domih
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, N2+, H2, H2+, C4, HC4 - 1GbE, 2.5GbE, 10GbE, 40+GbE

Post by domih »

TheBigG wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:47 pm
domih wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:46 am
Ok I understand that USB to SATA simply won't run stable no matter which adapter I use. Sadly I can't use the PCIe slot because it is already in use by the 4x 2,5 gbit/s card. Since I run SSDs I don't think my limitation is the power draw of them.
Thanks everybody for the Feedback, maybe there will be some day a Odroid h2++ with more SATA ports. Until that i will need to have storage connected to a different system, because if the USB Storage disconnects, shortly after that the complete host system hungs up and need a hard restart to work again.
The Celeron J4xxx only has 6 HSIO (eq. to 6 PCIe Gen 2 lanes). You can have 6 x SATAIII disks using the M.2 conversion as stated above and more than 2 x 2.5GbE by using 2.5GbE USB3 adapters (RTL8156B-based)(*) to add to the two NICs onboard.

See discussion there: viewtopic.php?f=172&t=38713

(*) See one RTL8156B model there: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-Ethern ... 3057155924

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”