Transcend NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 MTE110S M.2 SSD

hallopeter
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: odroid c2
Been thanked: 0

Transcend NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 MTE110S M.2 SSD

Post by hallopeter » Tue May 19, 2020 5:45 pm

so i decided to buy a nvme for my h2. Found this on ebay, nvme from transcend for 35 euro:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Transcend-128GB ... 3&LH_BIN=1

Can someone please confirm, will this work out of the box without having to buy any additional cables and screws?
Will this transcend nvme be faster than using an emmc card?
I guess it will be a slightly slower compared to a pricy samsung one, but not much right? Or will there be any other downsides to this item?

misaz
languages_spoken: english, czech
ODROIDs: currently none

Re: Transcend NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 MTE110S M.2 SSD

Post by misaz » Tue May 19, 2020 11:05 pm

Can someone please confirm, will this work out of the box without having to buy any additional cables and screws?
You don't need any cable but you need screw. I don't remember if it is packed with odroid but with drive it usualy is not.
Will this transcend nvme be faster than using an emmc card?
Yes it will.
I guess it will be a slightly slower compared to a pricy samsung one, but not much right? Or will there be any other downsides to this item?
This cheap SSDs (no matter if it is SATA or NVME) has slower performence under some circumstances. Normally they have similar performance to the high priced SSDs but sometimes their performance degrade rapidly and for example they can be much slower than eMMC. On some drives this occurs when their capacity becames exhausted. On some drives this occurs owhen they became old. On some drives this occurs randomly.

I have experiences with ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD. If I write >95% of their capacity to it, they are 20x slower. But because it does not occur very often It is no problem for me.

If you need it for the mission critical service I do not recomend using it but for 99% peoples they are sufficient. Usualy there are no problems with it.

rooted
languages_spoken: english

Re: Transcend NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 MTE110S M.2 SSD

Post by rooted » Tue May 19, 2020 11:55 pm

M.2 SATA SSD will not work for the record it must be NVMe, and yes Hardkernel included a screw in the second batch of devices AFAIK.

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”