HD audio on both video ports?

teeedubb
languages_spoken: english

HD audio on both video ports?

Unread post by teeedubb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Hey guys,

Im patiently waiting for the H2 to come back into stock, but I have a question. Can the H2 pass through HD audio codecs (eg DTS-HD etc) on both the HDMI and DP ports (not simultaneously)?

Some context - I have a HDMI 1.4 AVR that is only used for audio only and no video switching and a 4k HDMI 2.0 TV. Because the AVR is only used for audio, and rarely at that, I would rather not upgrade it to a HDMI 2.0 AVR so I can connect the H2 in the traditional manner (H2 > AVR > TV) to enjoy 4k60 content. I would like to have the HDMI port on the H2 connected directly to the TV and the DP to connected directly to the AVR via a DP to HDMI cable. I know switching audio output devices on the fly is possible in software with Kodi on Linux and Win 10 (and I have it automated), so I'm not concerned about the software side, just the hardware side. Basically I want to be able to switch between outputting HD audio via DP and 2ch PCM audio via HDMI. The H2 web page doesn't mention anything about audio over HDMI/DP, although I know that the CPU is capable of passing through HD codecs.

teeedubb

Re: HD audio on both video ports?

Unread post by teeedubb » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:39 pm

So I have doing some searching and came acreoss these two sites:

https://www.displayport.org/faq/ and https://superuser.com/questions/229084/ ... -hdmi-does

So it seems like DP is capable of passin through HD audio codecs, but it is up to the manufacturer to implement.
Can any confirm if HD audio passthrough is possible via DP on the H2?

joshua.yang
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + Cloudshell2, H2, N2

Unread post by joshua.yang » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi.

We'll test that and let you know the results. Please wait for a few days.
These users thanked the author joshua.yang for the post:
teeedubb (Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:59 pm)

teeedubb

Unread post by teeedubb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi,

I have been doing some research when time allows and I have some more info.
So it seems a DP++ port plus a passive adapter is required to be able to use audio passthrough. From what I can gather this will cause the DP port to act as a HDMI port.
If the DP port is not a ++ variant, a active adapter is required to convert a multi-channel DP audio signal into multi-channel HDMI (LPCM) audio signal. From the thread linked below, it seems like all active adapters are not capable of this and I do not believe that this setup is capable of passthrough.
I searched through the H2 schematics and I see the DP port referred to as DP++ on page two of the Rev 2 schematics, but I am unable to understand the schematics to delve any further into this. I havent yet found a photo that shows the DP port close enough to be able to discern if the DP++ logo is printed on it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home- ... cable.html
https://www.startech.com/au/faq/display ... multi_mode
https://www.barco.com/en/news/2019-01-2 ... -active-or

So it seems like it may be possible.... Confirmation would be great because after shipping and additional parts the order comes to a significant amount.

Thanks

joshua.yang

Unread post by joshua.yang » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Hi @teeedubb,

I've just tested that.

My environment:
- H2 with Ubuntu 19.10
- HDMI monitor with speaker
- DP monitor with speaker
- Connect those two monitors to the H2 with HDMI, DP cable respectively.

And I can hear each sound from the monitors. If I set the output device to HDMI monitor (Actually the settings panel in Ubuntu just shows those two monitors as "HDMI/DP 1", "HDMI/DP 2"), I can hear the sounds from the HDMI monitor. If I set to DP monitor, I can hear the sounds from the DP monitor. So it looks working fine.

Is this can be the answer to you?
These users thanked the author joshua.yang for the post:
teeedubb (Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:43 pm)

teeedubb

Unread post by teeedubb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks for testing joshua!
Yes, that info is sufficient for me - worst case scenario, if the port is not DP++, I can use an adapter and connect DP to the TV and HDMI to the AVR so I can use 4k video with passthrough sound.
And the H2 has just come back into stock, ordering now!
:D

joshua.yang

Unread post by joshua.yang » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:51 pm

Glad to hear that. :)

I hope you get the results you want.

teeedubb

Unread post by teeedubb » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:57 am

I'll post my results here - I am planning on putting the H2 into an original xbox case, because the OG xbox was awesome and after it was modded, was way ahead of its time.

teeedubb

Unread post by teeedubb » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:27 am

Hi Joshua,

H2 arrived the other day and after battling with modelines and a funky samsung edid I can confirm that the H2 can output 4k60 via HDMI and HD audio via DP + a passive adapter. :)
DTS, TRUE-HD work, but I have not been able to get DTS-HD to work yet - with the others working I suspect this could be a config issue. I have yet to try Hi-Res audio such as 96khz FLAC files.
This is the adapter I used. Its not listed as passive or active, but at that price point I assumed it was passive and the fast shipping made it worth the gamble.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25cm-Displa ... 2749.l2649

EDIT, FYI this is on xubuntu 19.10
Last edited by teeedubb on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

joshua.yang

Unread post by joshua.yang » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 am

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Glad to hear that passthrough for DTS, TRUE-HD works. Then, I may bet DTS-HD also, probably works too. :)

teeedubb

Unread post by teeedubb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Just an update, DTS-HD started working. I suspect my kids may have pressed some buttons on the AVR and changed some settings, but I have also been tweaking software to get kodi running smoothly so unfortunately I cant pin point what it was.

EDIT it was the xfce4 compositor that was causing the issues with DTS-HD. Disabling it before running kodi fixes it.

gronthazdal
languages_spoken: english, hungarian
ODROIDs: H2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gronthazdal » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:28 pm

teeedubb wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:27 am
Hi Joshua,

H2 arrived the other day and after battling with modelines and a funky samsung edid I can confirm that the H2 can output 4k60 via HDMI and HD audio via DP + a passive adapter. :)
DTS, TRUE-HD work, but I have not been able to get DTS-HD to work yet - with the others working I suspect this could be a config issue. I have yet to try Hi-Res audio such as 96khz FLAC files.
This is the adapter I used. Its not listed as passive or active, but at that price point I assumed it was passive and the fast shipping made it worth the gamble.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25cm-Displa ... 2749.l2649

EDIT, FYI this is on xubuntu 19.10
Hello teeedubb,

you mentioned a funky samsung edid issue in your post. Can you describe it? Because I've installed Arch linux on my H2 and the 4k60 doesn't work via HDMI. I have a newer samsung tv (nu8000 series). The xrandr app results a "Can't open display" error. Maybe my issue is the same as yours.

Thanks and sorry for offtopic.

BR, Peter

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”