Debian 9 Netinst CD/ DVD Install

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Debian 9 Netinst CD/ DVD Install

Unread postby gkkpch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:05 am

I'm trying to get the Netinstaller to load from CD, no difference whether 32bit or 64bit version, both won't start.

Ubuntu Bionic installer runs fine, any ideas???
Last edited by gkkpch on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
gkkpch

languages_spoken: english, dutch, german
ODROIDs: Odroid-C1+, Odroid-C1+ HiFi shield, Odroid-C1, Odroid-X2

Re: Debian 9 Netinst CD

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:12 am

probably due to the Kernel being too old.
Gemini Lake SoCs are only supported starting from Kernel 4.11 while Debian Stretch comes by default with Kernel 4.9.
Although a newer Kernel is available in stretch-backports.

Maybe going through the process of creating your own install image for Debian can solve this issue:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CD
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: Debian 9 Netinst CD

Unread postby gkkpch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:17 am

not quite got my head around it yet, but the Debian 64-bit full installer (DVD) starts OK.
I will also try the 32-bit installer
gkkpch

Re: Debian 9 Netinst CD/ DVD Install

Unread postby gkkpch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:48 am

Debian 9.6.0 installed OK (at the moment I'm not interested in how well it does, but boots from nvme and display appears ok too)
Edit: Debian 9.6.0 indeed has kernel 4.9.0-8, but boots OK!!

Tested the 32-bit DVD Installer, it won't boot.
I already had an issue with my main project (Volumio for x86), which runs i386 on loads of x86 machines.
Based on Debian 9 with kernel 4.19.5, it won't boot, i386 issue????
gkkpch

Unread postby jamesgould » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:33 pm

I have installed Debian 9.6 as well - 4.9.0-8-amd64 DVD install. At the time of the install I was not aware that Gemini Lake SoC was only supported as of kernel 4.11

Anyway, seems to be working fine so far. My guess is that Gemini Lake is supported but not Gemini Lake SoC, so some of the hardware specific to the SoC may not work with the earlier kernel version. I have yet to come across any problems. Would be interested to know if anyone else is using this kernel.

Just as a heads up, I tried to install the Debian testing Intel video drivers and it broke the system because a lot of testing dependencies were installed and after reboot X would not start. Was easiest to reinstall from scratch. But all working absolutely fine since then.
jamesgould

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: H2

Unread postby tkaiser » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:18 pm

jamesgould wrote:I have yet to come across any problems.

Do you have a powermeter? The difference between 4.9 and 4.18 should be visible there too.
tkaiser

ODROIDs: C1+, C2, XU4, HC1

Unread postby jamesgould » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Worst case scenario, a system drawing more power may run hotter. Will remember to check cpu cores temperature while system is under heavy load.
jamesgould

Unread postby tkaiser » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:35 pm

jamesgould wrote:system is under heavy load.

I would be more concerned about (way too high) idle consumption. In the past you needed a pretty recent kernel version to get consumption numbers down to reasonable levels with those low power Intel CPUs and Linux -- see this for example: https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... 016-jessie
tkaiser

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:51 pm

jamesgould wrote:Anyway, seems to be working fine so far. My guess is that Gemini Lake is supported but not Gemini Lake SoC, so some of the hardware specific to the SoC may not work with the earlier kernel version.

The System should be able to boot, but the Kernel is not aware of specific CPU features.

jamesgould wrote:I have yet to come across any problems. Would be interested to know if anyone else is using this kernel.

From what I know the GPU is not fully supported without the correct Kernel, and features like 4k won't work as expected.
https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/Medi ... ux-Kernels

jamesgould wrote:Just as a heads up, I tried to install the Debian testing Intel video drivers and it broke the system because a lot of testing dependencies were installed and after reboot X would not start.

Not really surprising, you shouldn't mix different OS versions.
Debian Stretch backports has all the drivers you need and they are compiled FOR Debian Stretch. There are newer Intel Drivers, newer Kernel and so on. They fully support Gemini Lake SoCs.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby lazlo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:29 am

The latest and greatest kernel version might not be needed if you are running a Debian LTS kernel. Debian will backport all kinds of fixes into their LTS sources so check the changelog for the package to see if you really need a higher version.
lazlo

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby tkaiser » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:43 am

lazlo wrote:Debian will backport all kinds of fixes into their LTS sources

Right, but here we're talking about features and not fixes. If I would run Debian on the H2 (or any recent x86 box) I would clearly switch immediately to the backports kernel without thinking a second. Maybe thinking a second and switching even to Proxmox kernel...
tkaiser

Unread postby jamesgould » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:37 pm

I have been using stable since Debian Potato (2000), sometimes using backports and completely forgot about backports! :lol: I've been enjoying the stable version for a while now and will continue to do so. The arguments for switching to backports are strong. Well call me stuborn but I'm not going to install anything less stable. All I have to do is wait for next year because Deb 10 will be released and I can safely do the distro upgrade. I won't have time for any gaming until at least July anyway.
jamesgould

Return to Other OS